Boom! JD starts re-signing players!

1 hour ago, KRL said:

A veteran safety who can coordinate a young secondary is important.  I don't mind this at

all, now Douglas can look to add an athletic ball hawk in the draft

Exactly my thoughts. My guess is a 1 year $1m contract like last year. Doesn't cost much to bring knowledge in!

I'm quite pleased with the Joyner re-signing. He's a good veteran safety, and he was poised to play a significant role last year before his injury.

I don't think he will be earning much - his contract was only for $2.5M last year - and he will provide a veteran presence in the secondary, ideally as the 3rd safety.

Bringing back Parks is fine too - he did pretty well as a late signee last season, and was solid in the two games he started. 

Both guys will add nice depth, but are replaceable if the Jets land better players in FA or the draft.

• Sympathy 2

Glad they brought back Joyner. Was an upper body injury I think so shouldn’t be an issue coming back healthy and obviously they liked what he did in camp to have him return.

With Pinnock playing well late last year I think it’d be nice to let him compete for a starting job. Joyner gives that flexibility where they’ve got a pretty safe backstop but if the young guy is better let him play.

Very curious if they continue and add a big FA like Marcus Williams, roll with Joyner-Davis-Pinnock-rookie and see who wins jobs, or maybe add a mid level FA like DeShon Elliott or Jordan Whitehead and just see what happens. Really suspect it’ll be one of the latter two scenarios and either is fine as long as the draft pick is round two or later. It’s frankly possible they just roll with the group as is but I think they need a little more depth still. I’d probably prefer the vet for that reason.

9 hours ago, Joe W. Namath said:

More smart moves by Joe Douglas.  

I agree. People will get snarky but JD has shown one thing and that is that he is PAINFULLY patient in Free Agency. THE WORST for fans. But a smart way to approach it. Parks looked good when he got a chance to play. He was all over the field. He def. passed the eye test as a decent backup IMO. We need guys like that at the safety position. As far as Joyner, the Jets clearly had a plan for him going into last year and did not get a chance to implement it due to his injury. My guess is that his medicals have checked out and they are going to give it another shot. Another depth piece to the safety group. These are also low risk cheap contracts. 

9 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Well, I guess we will pass on Sauce at 4 now. 

LOL, I'm assuming this is a joke. I would say Hamilton is still very much in play. 

2 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Fatukasi upon hearing JD signed Parks before him. 

Leaving Cardi B GIF by Billboard Music Awards

He was always going to leave

Dude is a good player but no way should the Jets pay upwards of $10 million a year for a 330lb NT in this defense.

I hope he goes to a 3-4 base team like Pittsburgh and has a nice career.

11 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

Fatukasi upon hearing JD signed Parks before him. 

Leaving Cardi B GIF by Billboard Music Awards

Go Away Goodbye GIF

In all seriousness though. I like Fat. But he does not have great leverage in contract talks. He had a great season LAST year but this year he was not great at what he is supposed to do well- stuff the run. And while he can provide some pass rush, that is really not his forte. I would have no issue with the Jets moving on from him if he wants too much money. They can afford to wait it out with him if he won't agree to what they are offering.  

• Upvote 1