Amari Cooper traded to Browns

19 minutes ago, fusionCA said:

so most of you now want once again to give out huge contracts to players like TJ , Mosley , Bell , players who dont want to play for the Jets and are just coming for the big pay check?

no one here learned the lesson ? how did that turned out for the Jets in the past?

Wait there are players who actually want to play for the Jets and just don’t come here for the money? News to me considering they haven’t made the playoffs in over 10 years 

1 minute ago, DonCorleone said:

But he wanted Perriman and Davis. Watch Cooper do well for the Browns. I know that I am in the minority, but I am really starting to hate JD.

Majority here are JD bandwagon’ers 

They will die on this JD ship until it’s clearly obvious that he isn’t the guy and is fired.

Much like the majority here did with trash darnold. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, oatmeal said:

Majority here are JD bandwagon’ers 

They will die on this JD ship until it’s clearly obvious that he isn’t the guy and is fired.

Much like the majority here did with trash darnold. 

Admittedly, I am giving JD the benefit of the doubt.  I only think of this as being his 3rd season as GM.  His 1st offseason wasn't great.  Last offseason felt much better to me.  Obviously we didn't win much but at least it's feasible to say "rookie QB learning the ropes".  I expect the team to make strides this year (Zach will hopefully improve plus we'll have all these draft picks.  Plus I assume JD will make some moves in FA and possibly trades)

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Moore.  

Smfh how many games did Moore play last season? How many catches and yards did Moore have? The kid is talented but has a long way to proving that he is a true #1 WR

And this is the problem with this fan base you overrate the unproven constantly, it’s insane!

• Upvote 1

Just now, TuscanyTile2 said:

Admittedly, I am giving JD the benefit of the doubt.  I only think of this as being his 3rd season as GM.  His 1st offseason wasn't great.  Last offseason felt much better to me.  Obviously we didn't win much but at least it's feasible to say "rookie QB learning the ropes".  I expect the team to make strides this year (Zach will hopefully improve plus we'll have all these draft picks.  Plus I assume JD will make some moves in FA and possibly trades)

JD hasn’t had 1 good free agency, let that sink in….

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, DonCorleone said:

Haven't the past 3 season taught you anything? We currently need a REAL number one. 

Why? Look at a lot of teams who run this system. Short quick timing routes. It’s a run heavy scheme. TEs are heavily used in this system. 12 personnel is used a lot. Having 2 #2s and a good te is completely fine for success. There’s also this thing called the draft, not sure if you’ve heard of it. 

• Sympathy 1

Disappointed that Cooper isn't a Jet. He's a very good route runner and could have made things easier for young Zach in his second year in the big show.

But Cooper does have a weird tendency to disappear from games. I've owned him in my dynasty league since he came into the league, and he will have stretches within games, and from game to game, where he's practically invisible. For whatever reason, Australian coverage of the NFL tends to focus a lot on Cowboys games, so I got to see him pretty regularly. I don't know if he's a head-case or a diva or whatever, but there's something that has always held Cooper back from joining the top echelon of receivers. He's no Davante Adams, but he could have gotten close.

Still, at that price, the Jets should have been involved.

4 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

I promise you coop is better then anything JD will bring in here. Watch 

I hope not but he might be, but it is not a simple sort of binary thing.

Cleveland gave up about 30 points of value so the Jets would have had to use 146 or 163 and something like a 2023 6th.

He has a hard cap hit of $20 million which is roughly half of our available cap space and depending on the contracts is 2-4 FA signings we cannot make

If we sign Cooper we may not take a WR in round 1 or 2

So in Essence

Cooper has to be better or have more impact than A 1st or 2nd rd receiver, 2-4 free agents and a fifth RD pick or a fifth and future 5th rounder.

For a team lacking depth and talent it is very unlikely he has that overall impact.

• Sympathy 2

1 hour ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Smart move by JD. The guy’s too expensive and with so much draft capital, he’s best off drafting a guy who will grow old with Zach.

20 million will go a long way filling some holes like at RG, and on defensive 

The Jets could use it on Joe Thuney at Guard!

Oh wait, they tried that and offered him more money than KC offered him.... yet he went to KC anyway.

Having money guarantees nothing.  JD tried to sign Joe Flacco in FA last year.  Flacco said no. JD trades for him. lol

Salaries are inflating each year.  $20M per year for Cooper might be high, but it's not out of range and he would be very easy to dump after one or two years with zero dead Cap.  He's on a 2020 contract.

The Browns swapped 6th round picks and gave up a 5th.  The Jets essentially could have rented Cooper for one, two or three years, cutting him whenever they want for their #114 in the 4th round.  Now they will be forced to sign a less talented FA and while paying him less than Cooper per year they will be anchored to him for a few years with Dead Cap on the deal.... or they will use a valuable early Draft pick that could have been used on another position.

927214162_Screenshot2022-03-12134253.thumb.png.aa8bafa88ccb858f838f6fc797fb3a65.png

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Coop was such a great player why didn't other teams offer even a 4th round pick for him? 

We had fans coming in here asking for the Jets to give up a 2nd for Coop a few days ago. Turns out fans don't always understand player values. 

Cowboys were desperate to get his contract off their books. If they couldn't find a trade for him, he was going to get cut to stop his roster bonus from vesting, or something. Hard to manufacture a market for a player when everyone knows he's a goner from your organisation.

• WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 1

Signing Corey Davis for 3 years 45 million and turning down cooper for 3 years 60 million. The writing is on the wall, JD either fixes the offense this year his way (whatever the **** that even is anymore) or he’s gone. A mediocre line and mediocre weapons that can’t stay healthy is not gonna cut it. Thanks for doing slightly better than the last guy joe, but IMO you ain’t it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

And everyone just keeps on ignoring that the Cowboys traded Cooper for dogging it in big games and, in particular, against SF in the playoffs two months ago.  Becton, an immensely talented second year player, is a bum on this board, but Cooper's issues are just glossed over so that people can come here and play the angry SOJF.  It's both comical and annoying.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, yvj said:

Cooper is worth 20 milion or he aint. I I think he is closer to aint than is

Then dump him after one season for the equivalent of a Jamien Sherwood draft pick.

This was a low risk move with no dead cap hit if it doesn't work out.

The Jets have the money.... what good is it if you don't use it?

And people who cry about the cap ramifications and say it will prevent the Jets from going after other players need to ask how GB pays Aaron Rodgers $50M per year and can still franchise tag Davante Adams for more than Cooper will cost this year.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

The Jets could use it on Joe Thuney at Guard!

Oh wait, they tried that and offered him more money than KC offered him.... yet he went to KC anyway.

Having money guarantees nothing.  JD tried to sign Joe Flacco in FA last year.  Flacco said no. JD trades for him. lol

Salaries are inflating each year.  $20M per year for Cooper might be high, but it's not out of range and he would be very easy to dump after one or two years with zero dead Cap.  He's on a 2020 contract.

The Browns swapped 6th round picks and gave up a 5th.  The Jets essentially could have rented Cooper for one, two or three years, cutting him whenever they want for their #114 in the 4th round.  Now they will be forced to sign a less talented FA and while paying him less than Cooper per year they will be anchored to him for a few years with Dead Cap on the deal.... or they will use a valuable early Draft pick that could have been used on another position.

927214162_Screenshot2022-03-12134253.thumb.png.aa8bafa88ccb858f838f6fc797fb3a65.png

Cooper just wasn’t it their plans.

Let’s see what happens over the next few weeks..

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

If Coop was such a great player why didn't other teams offer even a 4th round pick for him? 

Other teams don't have the money to do it.

Cooper seems like the kind of guy the Jets have been building their rainy day fund for!  A Pro Bowl caliber, experienced WR who would help the Jets assess and develop Zach Wilson properly because he runs consistent, predictable routes and has good hands.

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

5 minutes ago, nickfoshizal said:

Signing Corey Davis for 3 years 45 million and turning down cooper for 3 years 60 million. The writing is on the wall, JD either fixes the offense this year his way (whatever the **** that even is anymore) or he’s gone. A mediocre line and mediocre weapons that can’t stay healthy is not gonna cut it. Thanks for doing slightly better than the last guy joe, but IMO you ain’t it. 

Fair point.

This is a pivotal off season for JD.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DirtyJersey said:

Smart for the Jets to not get involved on a guy who is over priced and on the down side.  They have enough receivers to find out is Wilson is any good.

They have Davis and Moore that’s it. Both those guys missed a majority of the season last year 

2 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

CooperIt just wasn’t it their plans.

Let’s see what happens over the next few weeks..

He just seemed like such a good fit at a low cost (Draft pick wise).  But I'm with you.... we'll see what happens in FA.

The huge disappointment will be if the Jets land another okay-ish veteran WR and still end up paying pretty solid $$$ for him and/or they end up using one of their Top 4 draft picks on a guy who needs some time to have an impact.... or turns out to be another Denzel Mims.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

JD hasn’t had 1 good free agency, let that sink in….

He’s only had 2 so far lmao yea go crazy when they were tearing down the team and not shooting for the stars with free agents. That completely goes against what they were trying to do. I bet you loved the bell signing. 

look at the bills they built heavy thru the draft then once they had a solid team they traded for a wr. That’ll be the jets next year. 

14 minutes ago, yvj said:

Cooper is worth 20 milion or he aint. I I think he is closer to aint than is

I don't think he's 'worth' 20 million, but it's not far off from the going rate. It's easy to get stuck on what players costs years ago. In 2012, the highest paid WR was Calvin Johnson at 18.8 million and last Hopkins was at 27+. The average team spend on WR has also increased a great deal. Robby Anderson will be made over 1 4million last season. He's a 3/4 receiver on many teams. 

Even if he's not 'worth' 20 million, there's way to adjust his cap number (the only one that matters) through a restructure or extension. 

9 minutes ago, DoubleDecker said:

I guess as ling as we're "interested" thats enough to satisfy the fan base! We should field a team of all the great players we were "in on" or "interested in," then we'd have a perennial super bowl team

There's many people on here that prefer potential results (no matter how absurd it is to believe they'd be achieved) over actual ones. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, BurntDice said:

He’s only had 2 so far lmao yea go crazy when they were tearing down the team and not shooting for the stars with free agents. That completely goes against what they were trying to do. I bet you loved the bell signing 

Lmaooo “only 2” ??????

Give me a break 

4 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

This is the heights of jet fandom : underrate a WR who has 5 out of 7 1000 yard seasons when the NyJ haven’t had a 1000 WR as a organization since?………… 

If JD could have secured the same deal, we had NOTHING to lose.   A fifth and sixth?  Who gives a sh*t?   

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

They have Davis and Moore that’s it. Both those guys missed a majority of the season last year 

They didnt give a contract to Berrios yet?

Bring back Berrios, then sign a B/C level free agent for a warm body.  

The notion that the Jets need a megastar WR to evaluate Wilson is idiotic. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

Amari Cooper is not a #1 WR. He is not viewed as a #1 guy even by the Cowboys who if they thought he was would keep him. Trading for Cooper has gigantic opportunity cost. Essentially halves our cap space and reduces our FA signing capability significantly (think 2-4 less players). Remember that we need like $20 million for our draft alone. And the biggest thing is that he is a one year rental. Good move by JD here. 

Stop making me second guess myself and re-think this. lol

• Upvote 1