Amari Cooper traded to Browns

1 minute ago, bla bla bla said:

Cooper called Dak "The Black Kirk Cousins" and he was on a massive deal with a deadline of the 22nd to cut him.

Cowboys had their back to the wall knowing they had to cut him so they took the best offer.

That sounds like some nfl tabloid stuff 

6 minutes ago, Lith said:

I am assuming this was the issue moreso than the trade compensation.  Hopefully he makes good use of that cap space -- we will see in a few days.  Disappointed we didn't get him, but we will say what plays out over the next few days.

You don’t win in this league by filling holes with Jags when you have $60mm in cap space.  You need good players to win. The Jets have none.  

• Upvote 2

I wonder to what extent him having to miss games due to not being vaccinated last season and getting fined for not being masked courtside at a Mavericks game played a role. That stuff stays pretty quiet in Dallas and...would be quite a talking point for New York media. To me that's the most straightforward way to justify not being involved on a trade like this. That or quietly working on another legitimate pass catcher trade.

Right or wrong, I don't think Douglas is going to prioritize the WR room the way we talk about on this board. Heading into last offseason I expected lots of 1 WR and 2 WR sets in the new offensive scheme since that's what Green Bay and SF did a lot of. The personnel (Crowder, Davis, and Moore) dictated going the other way and being three wide more and fortunately LaFleur made that happen and got the best guys on the field. Prior to that there was a lot of two TE stuff with horrible tight ends, and the team doesn't have a fullback with a few good ones hitting the market. We may see a bit of a difference in personnel groupings next season.

I also think Douglas is going to try to pinch pennies when he can. I keep bringing up Russell Gage, and I think that's roughly the kind of WR they bring in. Believe while we talk about them needing a #1 WR, they're going to attack the need of finding a WR who can separate from man coverage. 

I'd like them to do more at WR, but in a pivotal offseason with lots of risk associated with a variety of acquisitions I'd rather Joe Douglas fails as Joe Douglas than Joe Douglas fails as a Mike (Tannenbaum or Maccagnan).

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Well, actually we did.

The trade for Santonio Holmes was awesome — if we could I’d trade a 5th rounder for a season of a dirt-cheap borderline WR1 in his prime every year.

What sucked was extending him. 

I was referring to the fact that the Steelers let a guy go who was a top 5 receiver go for nothing. They knew him and what he was all about. Holmes' ugly head surfaced soon enough,. Teams know why they are getting rid of people. 

• Upvote 2

Can’t wait to watch Christian Kirk or the corpse of Allen Robinson.  Maybe we’ll draft some 3rd round schlub if Douglas feels like getting greedy.  Gonna be running that revolutionary “Zero-Separation” offense baby.  It’s gonna be sick.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

For a 5th?

Okay, JD faithful.... you have 30 minutes to craft and post your defense of this. lol

Things you're excluded from saying:

1. This was the plan all along!

2. This means Berrios is about to be back

3. They must see something in Denzel Mims

4. The injured Corey Davis is clearly the guy they want as WR1.

5. They must know Elijah Moore won't be injured again.

6. We're going WR at #4 and #10

Amari Cooper is not a #1 WR. He is not viewed as a #1 guy even by the Cowboys who if they thought he was would keep him. Trading for Cooper has gigantic opportunity cost. Essentially halves our cap space and reduces our FA signing capability significantly (think 2-4 less players). Remember that we need like $20 million for our draft alone. And the biggest thing is that he is a one year rental. Good move by JD here. 

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Bro we could’ve gave a freaking 5th round pick and restructured Coop, JD Is a complete sleeping fat joke!!!!

Why would Cooper restructure with us? That makes no sense, you only do that if you are trying to win on a championship team. No way would he restructure, that is exactly why this was not done.

• Upvote 1

The likelihood of a receiver coming out of the draft and being jamar chase is rare.

can a Wilson or a burks or a London be great? Sure. But it will likely take time. Not sure how much time Zach has if he doesn’t take a huge step next year. You have to help him. Help him like the bills helped Allen. 

Just now, FidelioJet said:

You don’t win in this league by filling holes with Jags when you have $60mm in cap space.  You need good players to win. The Jets have none.  

The Jets have $35M in room to work with, not $60M. I do think they need a star on offense but it's very possible they feel Cooper was overrated and too much of a potential distraction to eat into half the space they have to work with.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, Mogglez said:

Can’t wait to watch Christian Kirk or the corpse of Allen Robinson.  Maybe we’ll draft some 3rd round schlub if Douglas feels like getting greedy.  Gonna be running that revolutionary “Zero-Separation” offense baby.  It’s gonna be sick.

Neither kirk nor robinson will be here.

But its going to be a heck of alot of fun to watch garrett wilson and elijah moore develop into one of the best wr tandems in the league.

Enjoy jet fans!!!  We have finally done it!!!!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Only Jet fans will cry about a receiver that any team who has him cant wait to get rid of him while we have an elite wr prospect in garrett wilson staring us in the face at 10.

Its really just unbelievable this fanbase.

Ok cool,

but when we are rolling out a bunch of jags next year and Zach still struggles thank JD then too, I promise you that’s coming with the way JD has been handling the skill positions from the day he arrived 

• Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Doesn't 3/$28.5M for Russell Gage feel like it's got Joe Douglas written all over it?

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, usanyj said:

The likelihood of a receiver coming out of the draft and being jamar chase is rare.

can a Wilson or a burks or a London be great? Sure. But it will likely take time. Not sure how much time Zach has if he doesn’t take a huge step next year. You have to help him. Help him like the bills helped Allen. 

Alls we have is time.  We r in year 2 of a ground up rebuild.   

Again, jet fans just refusing to listen to what coach and gm have been telling you for over a year now.  Its truly unbelievable.

“We can just draft one in the first round” how’d that workout for John Ross, N’keal Harry, Henry Ruggs, Corey Coleman, Jalen Reagor I could go on and on. Drafting a 1st round WR guarantees nothing!!!!!!! We don’t need more rookies we need some proven vets with upside. How’d being the youngest team in the league workout last year??

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Only Jet fans will cry about a receiver that any team who has him cant wait to get rid of him while we have an elite wr prospect in garrett wilson staring us in the face at 10.

Its really just unbelievable this fanbase.

Speaking of JAGS, we have Denzel (2nd rd bust needless to say); therefore, we are in good hands. 

Give me a break!

For those who are mad we didn't go after Cooper, how exactly were we going to fix the team in FA with Cooper taking up $20M of the $48M cap space we have? Plus our first 5 picks in the draft are going to count against the cap, not to memtion a high amount coming from the 4th and 10th overall picks. We're talking probably $9-16M in cap space. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Ok cool,

but when we are rolling out a bunch of jags next year and Zach still struggles thank JD then too, I promise you that’s coming with the way JD has been handling the skill positions from the day he arrived 

Corey davis, elijah moore, garrett wilson, braxton berrios  trey mcbride , michael carter and breece hall is ur equivelant of rolling out a bunch of jags??  Thats not jags.  Thats the best young  offensive talent in the nfl.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

Smart move by JD. The guy’s too expensive and with so much draft capital, he’s best off drafting a guy who will grow old with Zach.

20 million will go a long way filling some holes like at RG, and on defensive 

Fair point, but the Jets need capable veterans around Zach to a degree.  Developing others players around a developing QB is not easy.  Get a guy or two that runs predictable, consistent routes and has good hands.  Get a guy who when a pass is incomplete we don't have to debate, "Did the rookie WR run the route short?  Was he in the right spot?  Or, did Zach throw off target?"

I'm no math or science expert but I do remember that it's almost impossible to solve an equation that has too many variables and unknowns.  We just went thru years of debating whether Sam Darnold was the problem or if it was "weaponz" or the fact they Jets had a swiss cheese OLine.  It looks to have turned out that it was ALL bad but the fact that it was debated for two years shows that you need to have some things that you KNOW are good and predictable.  Cooper would have been one of them.

I'm hoping we have a good plan for a veteran in FA.