Amari Cooper traded to Browns

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

You don’t win in this league by filling holes with Jags when you have $60mm in cap space.  You need good players to win. The Jets have none.  

This

this is what is coming: a bunch of “high upside” cheap guys and late round picks at WR

and let me say this, if the offseason play out like I outlined above, please don’t blame Zachary Wilson people when he looks just average or even struggles again  next year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Why? Completely and totally different players upsides and financial implications.

Yeah exactly and DK is going to be significantly more expensive to acquire and then to extend. 

5 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Neither kirk nor robinson will be here.

But its going to be a heck of alot of fun to watch garrett wilson and elijah moore develop into one of the best wr tandems in the league.

Enjoy jet fans!!!  We have finally done it!!!!

I bet it won’t be.

• Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1

6 minutes ago, usanyj said:

The likelihood of a receiver coming out of the draft and being jamar chase is rare.

can a Wilson or a burks or a London be great? Sure. But it will likely take time. Not sure how much time Zach has if he doesn’t take a huge step next year. You have to help him. Help him like the bills helped Allen. 

Keep in mind that Zach improved significantly even without most of the WRs healthy. Yes WR is a huge need close to #1 IMO but that does not mean Cooper was the right call.

5 minutes ago, section314 said:

I was referring to the fact that the Steelers let a guy go who was a top 5 receiver go for nothing. They knew him and what he was all about. Holmes' ugly head surfaced soon enough,. Teams know why they are getting rid of people. 

Thing is Holmes wasn’t today’s equivalent of $20MM. He was suspended for the first 4 games, but yeah I’d take a dozen games of that for a 5th rounder and then start over next year (while collecting a comp pick to let him go somewhere else).

Cooper’s a bit different — everyone knows this is just about the money. They have a cheap WR1 and need the $ to re-sign their TE long term (as well as others). If Cooper would’ve taken a pay cut to Holmes’s 2010 salary of $1.2MM (or even double that to account for cap inflation), then Dallas wouldn’t have traded him.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bla bla bla said:

Why would Cooper restructure with us? That makes no sense, you only do that if you are trying to win on a championship team. No way would he restructure, that is exactly why this was not done.

Okay cool, makes no sense

his contract wouldn’t kill us regardless and please tell me where we are finding a better option this offseason?

• Upvote 1

Looks more and more like Jets will draft a WR at 10...Gerald Wilson is my guess.  Then possibly again at either #s 34-38-69.  Candidates could be Christian Watson, George Pickens-Kevin Austin Jr. or a Sky Moore. 

Maybe JD surprises...and moves into early twenties to take Jameson Williams.  

IMO...Jets need an upgrade over Cory Davis for sure.  Davis couldn't handle the pressure as a #1.  He can play better and be a solid #2 if an upgrade is added.  If Jets strike out in FA...I can't see JD waiting until round 2 to address this need.  

ZW needs to be the primary focus of this offseason.   Getting him better tools on offense to compete against the Bills and the AFCE. 

JD-Saleh...give it up...for ZW...por favor.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Can’t wait to watch Christian Kirk or the corpse of Allen Robinson.  Maybe we’ll draft some 3rd round schlub if Douglas feels like getting greedy.  Gonna be running that revolutionary “Zero-Separation” offense baby.  It’s gonna be sick.

I actually would prefer Allen Robinson over Amari Cooper - maybe just me. Can't say I'd be super excited about either though. Looking for that beast mode WR1.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

9 minutes ago, derp said:

The Jets have $35M in room to work with, not $60M. I do think they need a star on offense but it's very possible they feel Cooper was overrated and too much of a potential distraction to eat into half the space they have to work with.

It’s actually 60 when they still cut done of their garbage.   

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’m reserving judgment until I see what he does do instead. If it’s another offseason of “just wait & see what he’s got up his sleeve” — like with IOL last year and then the only veteran signing Feeney? Bleh.

There are other WRs in FA this year (not that Cooper was even a FA). But if he heads into the draft with just Moore/Davis and re-signing Cole or something, torches might be lit.

This is supposed to be a season of no-excuses for Wilson. No “oh, well if he only had a ‘true #1 WR’ like ____ then he’s be good.” Nope. I want to see a serious FA guard, a serious OT3, and yes a serious starting WR. Especially since the draft is weaker at playmakers on offense way up top and the team doesn’t need a starting tackle. 

They’ve got $100MM in cap space next year even if they don’t cut Mosley or anyone else. Draft defense and let those guys come along a little more slowly; no one cares if that happens. Everyone wants to see points, and if they don’t they want all the Wilson excuses to die a year or more earlier than they did with Darnold, Sanchez, etc.

I do agree Douglas is fat. 

I love this 

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Thing is Holmes wasn’t today’s equivalent of $20MM. He was suspended for the first 4 games, but yeah I’d take a dozen games of that for a 5th rounder and then start over next year (while collecting a comp pick to let him go somewhere else).

Cooper’s a bit different — everyone knows this is just about the money. They have a cheap WR1 and need the $ to re-sign their TE long term (as well as others). If Cooper would’ve taken a pay cut to Holmes’s 2010 salary of $1.2MM (or even double that to account for cap inflation), then Dallas wouldn’t have traded him.

Probably right, but as we've seen, even with cap troubles like Dallas has, where there's a will, there's a way. If they wanted him, they would have made it work.

8 minutes ago, Bronx said:

_______________, _______________,

_______________, _______________.

There are a ton of WRs in this draft that are graded in the top 2 rounds. It would not shock me if we go that route. 

As far as Vets go: Robinson, Kirk, Thomas, Landry, and Chark + a 2nd round 

1 minute ago, jetstream23 said:

Fair point, but the Jets need capable veterans around Zach to a degree.  Developing others players around a developing QB is not easy.  Get a guy or two that runs predictable, consistent routes and has good hands.  Get a guy who when a pass is incomplete we don't have to debate, "Did the rookie WR run the route short?  Was he in the right spot?  Or, did Zach throw off target?"

I'm no math or science expert but I do remember that it's almost impossible to solve an equation that has too many variables and unknowns.  We just went thru years of debating whether Sam Darnold was the problem or if it was "weaponz" or the fact they Jets had a swiss cheese OLine.  It looks to have turned out that it was ALL bad but the fact that it was debated for two years shows that you need to have some things that you KNOW are good and predictable.  Cooper would have been one of them.

I'm hoping we have a good plan for a veteran in FA.

Look, in the end, the QB either “has it” or he doesn’t. 
You could have given Sam Jerry Rice and Randy Moss he still would have sucked.

You want to fix the WR issues, get some real TE’s. Even a guy with zero football experience would be able to scheme up a defensive game plan against the Jets.

This is the off-season that JD begins to fill in the holes…and we know that there’s plenty of them.

12 minutes ago, section314 said:

I was referring to the fact that the Steelers let a guy go who was a top 5 receiver go for nothing. They knew him and what he was all about. Holmes' ugly head surfaced soon enough,. Teams know why they are getting rid of people. 

You mean a guy who threw the ball in the air after getting injured instead of securing the ball? Can't figure out why this guy wasn't retained by the Steelers. 

Report: Jets' Holmes could be lost for season - Sports Illustrated

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

For those who are mad we didn't go after Cooper, how exactly were we going to fix the team in FA with Cooper taking up $20M of the $48M cap space we have? Plus our first 5 picks in the draft are going to count against the cap, not to memtion a high amount coming from the 4th and 10th overall picks. We're talking probably $9-16M in cap space. 

Our cap space needed for the draft is like $19.something million

His salary is why. I wanted him for the wow factor. But he very well could be Leveon Bell 2.0. Flashy name, expensive, and declining.  

Mack and Cooper are “final piece” moves for teams that are in contention.

I’d have loved him on the team for Zach but currently the Jets have about 11.5 total starting caliber players out of 22.

offense: Zach, AVT, Mekhi, Fant, Moore, Davis, Carter

defense: JFM, QW, Lawson, Mosley, Hall

Free agency will bring about 2 or 3 and the draft will bring 4 or 5.

In two months we’ll go from 11 to 17 decent starters- with not a lot of depth. 17 is a good step forward. 

• Upvote 4

Just now, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

You mean a guy who threw the ball in the air after getting injured instead of securing the ball? Can't figure out why this guy wasn't retained by the Steelers. 

Report: Jets' Holmes could be lost for season - Sports Illustrated

Good memory. That was a classic. I remember sitting there watching it....could have heard a pin drop.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Corey davis, elijah moore, garrett wilson, braxton berrios  trey mcbride , michael carter and breece hall is ur equivelant of rolling out a bunch of jags??  Thats not jags.  Thats the best young  offensive talent in the nfl.

rookies, a underachiever, the definition of a jag in berrios, This a a bunch of jags im sorry

and I would hate JD if this is what he is thinking of rolling out there next season 

3 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Okay cool, makes no sense

his contract wouldn’t kill us regardless and please tell me where we are finding a better option this offseason?

I wanted Cooper, I would have made the trade. It appears Douglas only valued him if he restructured, I can't blame him. In my mind Cooper was a 1 year stop gap while a 2nd round rookie got his feet wet. 

• Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, section314 said:

Probably right, but as we've seen, even with cap troubles like Dallas has, where there's a will, there's a way. If they wanted him, they would have made it work.

They know they’d be keeping him over someone else. Take a close look at their cap: they can clear some space, but there’s only so much they can keep pushing to the future and still fit everyone for more than 1 season. They’ve already restructured everyone else.

Cooper was the only one they could cut/trade to make a major dent without major dead hits now or later.

There’s Lawrence, too, but he won’t clear as much net: even if they designate him a June 1 cut to clear another $21MM this year, they’ll still be pushing $11MM of his dead cap to 2023 after cutting him before the 2022 season. 

You should take a look at the list of FAs they have this year. That’s just to bring back guys they like, not even to further improve the team at all over last year’s. 

• Upvote 1

It's not about the draft picks. It is about the $20 million per and the player.  Cooper is  known underachiever and is also known for coming up small in big spots.  Read this:

https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news/dallas-trade-amari-cooper-free-agency-quit-michael-gallup-dak-prescott#gid=ci029b562990002436&pid=jarvis-amari 

It seems every season ends like this for Cooper.  He pads stats with some huge games and then disappears for others.  Do some of you follow the sport? This has been the knock on him throughout his career.  He doesn't fit what the Jets are building. Stop the whining.  He isn't worth the trouble.  

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, TheNuuFaaolaExperience said:

The people who know, already know. You are trying to rationalize why a SOJF is complaining about not trading for a good WR who is getting GREAT WR money. Two teams have traded this guy and SOJFs think that he would be a good fit for a rebuilding team. 

I think more SOJF are afraid of spending money to bring in good players in their prime.  Because that’s exact what Cooper is. 
Stop being scared a get players to help the team win. 

13 minutes ago, SR24 said:

Yeah exactly and DK is going to be significantly more expensive to acquire and then to extend. 

Jets would not have to extend Metcalf. He has 2 rookie years left and potentially 2 tags, so they would control him for 4 years, and an extension would likely not increase the cap hit in the first 2 years. I don't think that Seattle will trade him but he is super young with true #1 capability. He is a bit of a head case so the Jets would need to make sure that can head in the right direction and not to Antonio Brown land. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

It’s actually 60 when they still cut done of their garbage.   

You’re assuming they’re going to cut players, some of whom they’ll have to replace close to dollar for dollar if they cut them, and missing the $13M hit the draft class is going to require. It’s definitely not $60M.

Even as a 1 year rental this was way worth it 

They better have an awesome vet WR coming in or JD should be on the clock this season if the WR group isn’t greatly improved.  

Jets fans concern for Woodies cash and snobby, “he wasn’t good enough for our high class establishment,” is always nice, but Cooper would have helped.  

• Upvote 1