OT: Terrell Owens Vs Randy Moss

I know a lot of people think Randy Moss is the 2nd best WR of all time.  I'm wondering if people think TO is comparable to (or even better than) Moss.  From my recollection, I think I'd take TO (his Superbowl performance puts him over the top for me).  Moss might've had "higher highs" but he had a down period in his career (prior to reviving it with the Pats).  I checked the stats and they're remarkably close.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

RANDY MOSS:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MossRa00.htm

image.png.fa01a15747910ed5657c9aa90dc289f5.png

TERRELL OWENS:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OwenTe00.htm

image.png.b02bc50a7ba3e4f0a98379cfb3520004.png

• Upvote 2

2 Very Different WR's I guess it would depend on what offense you are running and the need for a pure burner or a more well rounded guy .

Moss is the burner probably greatest ever at that. But he was not a well rounded guy , refused to block , tipped off the defense with his antics in that regard.

Owens was a possession guy who played the game right just had a big enough mouth he was a locker room cancer. If Im running ball control I want Owens over Moss. If Im running a more conventional offense and need a guy to take the top off defenses then I go with Moss

Also FWIW leaving mouths and problems out of the equasion I would take Brandon Marshall over both of them. 

• Upvote 2
  • WTF? 2

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

2 Very Different WR's I guess it would depend on what offense you are running and the need for a pure burner or a more well rounded guy .

Moss is the burner probably greatest ever at that. But he was not a well rounded guy , refused to block , tipped off the defense with his antics in that regard.

Owens was a possession guy who played the game right just had a big enough mouth he was a locker room cancer. If Im running ball control I want Owens over Moss. If Im running a more conventional offense and need a guy to take the top off defenses then I go with Moss

Agreed that TO could be a crappy locker room guy but, on the field, he gave a ton of effort (while I feel like Moss might've been more of a "diva").  I still can't get over how great TO was in that Superbowl.  He came back from injury early and absolutely dominated.  The guy was an absolute force.  (Moss was too, of course, but I think he already gets credit for that).

4 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

It's insane seeing Randy Moss averaged 1,400 yards and 14 TDs his first 6 years in the league. Like WHAT?!

That 1998 Vikings offense with Moss, Carter, Culpepper, Robert Smith, and that insane OL was one of the most under-rated in league history.  Rarely mentioned in conversations about the best of all time, but it should be.

They held the record for most points scored in a season for 10 years until Moss showed up in NE.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Saying you’d take Brandon Marshall over Moss and T.O is ridiculous. Those 2 guys are best of all time conversations

I'm not comparing stats when I say that and its certainly not ridiculous. Marshall had an 8 year run very comparable to the greatest of all time. I prefer a smashmouth brand of football and moving the chains and If I was starting a team that's who my guy would be. If I had to choose a number 1 guy it would never ever be a burner who at times refused to go over the middle or lay down a crucial block or convert a huge first down. When I need a big time first down and they are taking away the sidelines you can rely on Randy Moss I'll rely on Brandon Marshall and in that regard it's not even close.

2 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

I'm not comparing stats when I say that and its certainly not ridiculous. Marshall had an 8 year run very comparable to the greatest of all time. I prefer a smashmouth brand of football and moving the chains and If I was starting a team that's who my guy would be. If I had to choose a number 1 guy it would never ever be a burner who at times refused to go over the middle or lay down a crucial block or convert a huge first down. When I need a big time first down and they are taking away the sidelines you can rely on Randy Moss I'll rely on Brandon Marshall and in that regard it's not even close.

Well you’re probably the only person in history of humanity who would take Brandon Marshall over Randy Moss. Moss is the best receiver of all time 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Agreed that TO could be a crappy locker room guy but, on the field, he gave a ton of effort (while I feel like Moss might've been more of a "diva").  I still can't get over how great TO was in that Superbowl.  He came back from injury early and absolutely dominated.  The guy was an absolute force.  (Moss was too, of course, but I think he already gets credit for that).

Yep and if I had to choose between a burner who did basically nothing else within the offense and a complete football player like TO its not even close. I know Randy has great stats but in tough situations Randy Disappeared . I remember some big situations where Randys number was not called and he just stood at the line of scrimmage, he was also known for cutting off routes over the middle  it was well documented and I don't want players like that on my team.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Rhg1084 said:

Well you’re probably the only person in history of humanity who would take Brandon Marshall over Randy Moss. Moss is the best receiver of all time 

And your making zero argument to support your claim while I'm telling you exactly why I would not take Moss over either of those guys. I wonder did you watch Randy Play much ? or did you just watch the Highlights of him catching a 60 yard bomb ? Coaches hated the guy and he was a complete disruption to the entire team when actually PLAYING the game of football. TO did his damage off the field with his mouth but the guy Balled on every play as did Marshall. IMO this is not even close and I would also have taken numerous other WR's over Moss as well.

13 minutes ago, nycdan said:

That 1998 Vikings offense with Moss, Carter, Culpepper, Robert Smith, and that insane OL was one of the most under-rated in league history.  Rarely mentioned in conversations about the best of all time, but it should be.

Yup no doubt . Moss was the burner Carter was the possession guy and Robert Smith was a duel threat RB 

Moss was the most physically gifted WR.  Not much doubt there.  But given the legitimate concerns over his mental lapses, you could just go with Calvin Johnson, who was probably the next guy on the list in terms of physical talent, and one of the most team-oriented, unselfish players ever.  Larry Fitzgerald would be a close call too.  You aren't getting quite the speed/height combo, but they make up for it and hustle on every play.

But if I had to win one game, and I had the right QB (big, accurate arm), I would still take Moss.  When he wanted to, he could dominate like no other WR in history.

10 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Moss was the most physically gifted WR.  Not much doubt there.  But given the legitimate concerns over his mental lapses, you could just go with Calvin Johnson, who was probably the next guy on the list in terms of physical talent, and one of the most team-oriented, unselfish players ever.  Larry Fitzgerald would be a close call too.  You aren't getting quite the speed/height combo, but they make up for it and hustle on every play.

But if I had to win one game, and I had the right QB (big, accurate arm), I would still take Moss.  When he wanted to, he could dominate like no other WR in history.

More than Jerry Rice?

6 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

More than Jerry Rice?

I know it's tough to say but yes.  WRs usually have some combination of traits that make them great.

Height, Speed, Grittiness, Smart, Agility, Hands...

I think Moss had the most unique height/speed/hands combo we've ever seen.  He made plays that DBs were simply spectators on, powerless to do anything to stop him.  Rice won by outhustling and being smarter than any DB on the field.  But let me ask you this:

If you had 2011 Darrelle Revis defending (or Deion in his prime), what WR would you think would have a better chance of beating them?

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, nycdan said:

I know it's tough to say but yes.  WRs usually have some combination of traits that make them great.

Height, Speed, Grittiness, Smart, Agility, Hands...

I think Moss had the most unique height/speed/hands combo we've ever seen.  He made plays that DBs were simply spectators on, powerless to do anything to stop him.  Rice won by outhustling and being smarter than any DB on the field.  But let me ask you this:

If you had 2011 Darrelle Revis defending (or Deion in his prime), what WR would you think would have a better chance of beating them?

I'd also take Moss over anyone.

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

I know a lot of people think Randy Moss is the 2nd best WR of all time.  I'm wondering if people think TO is comparable to (or even better than) Moss.  From my recollection, I think I'd take TO (his Superbowl performance puts him over the top for me).  Moss might've had "higher highs" but he had a down period in his career (prior to reviving it with the Pats).  I checked the stats and they're remarkably close.

RANDY MOSS:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MossRa00.htm

image.png.fa01a15747910ed5657c9aa90dc289f5.png

TERRELL OWENS:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/O/OwenTe00.htm

image.png.b02bc50a7ba3e4f0a98379cfb3520004.png

Moss’s rookie year was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever witness. 

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Having watched the career of each I'm actually shocked the numbers are so close. Moss was such a devasting deep threat I've never seen anyone close.

I would have taken Moss over TO in a heartbeat but both were great.

Oe advantage TO has is bounced around to a lot of good teams that needed him and would put up with his nonsense and still get thrown too.  Moss had, I'd guess, more years with bad teams.  

Plus Moss, if he wasnt happy, would take plays, quarters, halves and games off.  TO may have bitched but he could be a warrior.

I dont think either are #2, only by stats and they're helped by the game being completely different than in the past.  

1 hour ago, nycdan said:

They held the record for most points scored in a season for 10 years until Moss showed up in NE.

That Vikings team vs. the Broncos would have been an all time game

In 15 playoff games Randy Moss had 54 catches for 977 yards and 10 TD's 

That's pretty pedestrian if you ask me. Terrell Owens playoff Numbers were not so great either in 12 games he was 54 751 5

Plenty of WR's eclipsed those numbers and that's when it counts

6 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

In 15 playoff games Randy Moss had 54 catches for 977 yards and 10 TD's 

That's pretty pedestrian if you ask me. Terrell Owens playoff Numbers were not so great either in 12 games he was 54 751 5

Plenty of WR's eclipsed those numbers and that's when it counts

Bit of context on that. He played in 3 postseason games in 2012 for SF.  He was already done by then and they barely used him.  Without those games, he had 12 games, 47 catches, 865 yards and 10 TDs.  The yards/game and TDs/game were very comparable to Rice.  Admittedly, Rice's late-career playoff games with OAK were far more productive than Moss's were with SF, but Moss at his peak was still a monster.

2 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

This is stupid.

Marshall is not even close to Moss or Owens.

1 hour ago, The Crusher said:

Moss’s rookie year was one of the most amazing things I’ve ever witness. 

Can't remember if it was his rookie year but the Dallas game on (IIRC) Thanksgiving was as dominant a performance from a WR as I've ever seen.  If he had the work ethic of Jerry Rice, who knows how great of a player he would've become.

• Upvote 1