Just a reminder Joe...you can draft OT in other rounds than the 1st

Hi Joe,

BornJetsFan1983 here, just a quick reminder that you can draft off. lineman in other rounds besides the first even if you draft one in the first!!!

I mean i get it, drafting OT this year in round one could go either way, you could grab one or make salah happy with his guys etc., you cant really go wrong in round 1, but if you did get a guy man we might get back to the days where it was the strength of the team, one that could even drag the likes of Mark Sanchez to some play off games, but whether you skip it or not in round one. Just remember it might be a good idea to pick up an extra one or two in the later rounds. Not like 6th round, but like 2nd round or 3rd round. Hell even 4th round. 

Yeah man you could totally do it. And we ALL would appreciate it. if you get a guy at pick 4 I still like you to pick up at least 1 more in the draft in the first 4 rounds. Really if you skipped OT in round 1 and then double dipped or just got a lineman in both rounds 2 and 3, or 2 and 4, or 3 and 4; whatever....just grab a second guy cool?

There is plenty of very serviceable players that come from different rounds. 

So yeah anyway just a reminder, You are doing a great job and by the way anyone with a brain can see that. We all agree you are the best. Best damn GM we have had since parcels you know? Go one being great kid, Bringing our team back to relevance one year at a time love it. Joe Douglas 2024!! Make the Jets Great again!

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, AFJF said:

Having just ranted about not taking an OT in the first last week, I was watching some more NC State the other day and man do I want Ekwonwu.  Dude is a monster. 

I am a BIG NC State fan.  Agree all the way except I admit I don't have the chops to know what we should do if he is available. I'd love a strong O-line like we had from 2008 to 2012.

To the OP point, I remember Idzik saying something very similar.   Didn't work out so well.  @bitonti MANY MANY moons ago posted some study about how top Oline are actually drafted early. 

JD needs to pick good football players worth their comp.   T is 2022 is in good shape, subject to Becton staying healthy.  2023 is a question mark.   

I have no doubt that if Ikey is there at 4, he is the right pick.  Neal and Cross not so much.  JD’s job in round 1 is to pick great players.   Then he can fill needs.  

OT is a premium position.  If JD does want a T at 4, someone will trade up for one.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, southparkcpa said:

I am a BIG NC State fan.  Agree all the way except I admit I don't have the chops to know what we should do if he is available. I'd love a strong O-line like we had from 2008 to 2012.

To the OP point, I remember Idzik saying something very similar.   Didn't work out so well.  @bitonti MANY MANY moons ago posted some study about how top Oline are actually drafted early. 

It will be very interesting to see what JD does if he's there at 4 and so is Thibs... I would take Ikey, and hope that JJ falls to 10 at that point.  Of course this is all based on no trade scenario's, cause if someone comes to me asking for pick 4 and is willing to pay, I take that in a heartbeat.

On 4/13/2022 at 7:26 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Hi Joe,

BornJetsFan1983 here, just a quick reminder that you can draft off. lineman in other rounds besides the first even if you draft one in the first!!!

I mean i get it, drafting OT this year in round one could go either way, you could grab one or make salah happy with his guys etc., you cant really go wrong in round 1, but if you did get a guy man we might get back to the days where it was the strength of the team, one that could even drag the likes of Mark Sanchez to some play off games, but whether you skip it or not in round one. Just remember it might be a good idea to pick up an extra one or two in the later rounds. Not like 6th round, but like 2nd round or 3rd round. Hell even 4th round. 

Yeah man you could totally do it. And we ALL would appreciate it. if you get a guy at pick 4 I still like you to pick up at least 1 more in the draft in the first 4 rounds. Really if you skipped OT in round 1 and then double dipped or just got a lineman in both rounds 2 and 3, or 2 and 4, or 3 and 4; whatever....just grab a second guy cool?

So yeah anyway just a reminder, You are doing a great job and by the way anyone with a brain can see that. We all agree you are the best. Best damn GM we have had since parcels you know? Go one being great kid, Bringing our team back to relevance one year at a time love it. Joe Douglas 2024!! Make the Jets Great again!

this may be true.  the bottom line is douglas needs to have a draft strategy that's best for the team now and into the future.  i certainly prefer that he does not draft oline with 4 or 10 picks.  the jets worked hard to get those and they needs to make them count.  but if he did use a first rounder on oline it would be the first time.  the walt michaels teams had their bookend tackles.  and even the mangini team took brick and mangold in the first round of the same draft.

i think the big factor is the fan's perception of how becton will play this season.  i'm sure saleh and douglas have talked about this at length.  how becton recovered from his injury is based more on rumour than any specific interview with the doctors or the trainers etc.  obviously if douglas does draft an oline with a high pick it could mean they're not that optimistic with becton.  on the other hand, it could mean that douglas knows bad things can get if the oline doesn't have good starters and equally good back ups. 

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, AFJF said:

Having just ranted about not taking an OT in the first last week, I was watching some more NC State the other day and man do I want Ekwonwu.  Dude is a monster. 

I’ve been talking about Ickey for months.

He completely makes sense given where the Jets are at, their OT depth chart (no Moses), contract structures (Fant), risks with current OTs (Becton), and the premium that JD puts on offensive line.

Ekwonu could be the best player on the board at #4.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

14 minutes ago, chirorob said:

New offense

9 O Tackles.    1 QB   1 running back.

Just try and stop it!

You're right, with those little sh*t cover lb'ers defenses have trended towards, and rosters having more DBs these days it's time to start a trend. I say just go 10 OL, and offer Lamar J. a quarter billion dollars. All LJ, all the time. Sign a bunch of RBs to back him up as part of a rotation.

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2022 at 7:26 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Hi Joe,

im not sure if your trying to be funny here but this is confusing.

your title says he can pick a OL in other rds besides the 1st, but then you say he can pick one in the 1st AND pick another in rds 2, 3 or 4?

if he picks 2 guys in the first 4 rds half this board including me would NOT LOVE IT!!! 

i really hope this is a joke

11 minutes ago, doitny said:

im not sure if your trying to be funny here but this is confusing.

your title says he can pick a OL in other rds besides the 1st, but then you say he can pick one in the 1st AND pick another in rds 2, 3 or 4?

if he picks 2 guys in the first 4 rds half this board including me would NOT LOVE IT!!! 

i really hope this is a joke

If he took 2 line man in the first 4 rounds that would be good. That is no joke...we have three older lineman and question marks on an average group right now. Add a couple yound studs and the position could become a strength.

I think alot of people would probably be happy. My only point was it does not all have to be in the first round. Especially with so many pick in the early rounds. You could easily get 2 guys 

• Thumb Down 1

5 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

It would make sense good likes have higher picks like any other position, those guys are more likely not he good, but plenty get great play from outside the first round and we should probably consider getting 1 or 2

Agreed that JD should have been picking more OL from the get go.  In his first draft, many of us here were hoping that he'd double dip at OL and WR in the third round, but instead he did a "draft a little bit of everything" strategy.  He did grab Clarke in the 4th, but that's not worked out.  He signed two solid OL (Fant and McGovern), so that helped improve an OL that was god awful when JD took over.

Last year, he moved up for AVT, then no more OL despite Trey Smith falling dramatically, and some of us here (including me), crying for him to take Smith starting in round 4 or 5. 

The Jets have no young developmental OL, the kind of guys you get in the middle rounds (3-5)  They are paper thin at OT.  How in the world can they just assume that Becton will have a full, healthy season?  Oh, and even Fant missed 2 games last year.  McGovern missed 2 games at C.  Our depth guys are all crappy, cheap veteran retreads.

I'm with those who don't want to take an OL in round 1.  Fine, but they need a "swing" OT who can start a few games next year.  Someone not named McDermott or Edoga, and not another Mike Mac style JAG free agent.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

i also had a study many moons ago about how the more drafted 1st rd picks on your OL the less chances you have to win a SB.

last years playoffs teams 10 had zero or one. 4 teams had 2 and lost there only playoff game. 3 teams had 3 (Det, Atl and NO) and didnt make the playoffs.

since 2000 we had 22 SBs and 44 SB teams

only 3 (04 Eagles, 05 Seahawks and the 2012 49ers) had 3 drafted in rd 1 and all lost.

5 teams had 2 drafted OL in rd1 and they went 2-3.

25 teams had 1 drafted 1st rd pick and they went 13-12

11 teams had 0 drafted 1st rd pick and they went 7-4

some think this is coincidence but when you look at the current NFL where last year 23 out of 32 teams (75%) had zero or one then you can see the OL is not valued as much. LT is the only premium position on the OL. not LG or RT or as some here want to do is trade into the back of the 1st rd to take a center. 

it just seems like teams that follow that rule of the OL is not a valued position and even LT should not be put ahead of other premium positions they are the most successful teams in the last 22 years.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

One thing about drafting guys out of the 1st round is that they will come due the same time as AVT.  That doesn't matter when were are talking about developmental guys, but for sure starters at the top of the 2nd it might be a factor. 

I don't think the developmental pipeline is quite that barren.  They have some guys that were interesting . The Akron Zip kid Isaiah Williams  played some.  Samia and PIersbacher were guys I'd have had some interest in in their drafts - the fact they came from elsewhere does not make them any less valid than if they were Jets 7ths.  Samia was a 4th with injury issues with the Vikings.  sh*t Conor McDermmott projects to guard and he didn't embarrass himself playing tackle last year.  Not sure if Senat is still there, but he was certainly an interesting developmental T from Wagner.  Hermanns and Parker Ferguson were UDFA.  I think I had Hermanns on one of my lists.   I know nothing about Ferguson other than that he is young (22) and supposedly didn't play any football until senior year in HS.  Air Force was his only offer.  Most of those guys are going to be tackles that have to kick inside based on traits.  For true tackles you are more likely to have to look to the draft.  They may all suck, but we have no true idea at this point.  

• Upvote 1

We have to take a T sometime in the first 2 rounds. Even is Becton IS on his diet and CAN stay on the field...if Fant gets hurt Zack's getting crushed, our backup ot's are REAL bad. We have no excuse, we do not have guys that can step in for a few games, we don't even know if we have 2 starters right now.

But no.....we don't need to do it in round 1.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

2 hours ago, jetspenguin said:

We have to take a T sometime in the first 2 rounds. Even is Becton IS on his diet and CAN stay on the field...if Fant gets hurt Zack's getting crushed, our backup ot's are REAL bad. We have no excuse, we do not have guys that can step in for a few games, we don't even know if we have 2 starters right now.

But no.....we don't need to do it in round 1.

Sent from the NY Jets /Zack Wilson Suicide Watch desk.

I think this might be overblown.   Chuma Edoga played more than 65% of the snaps against the Bengals and Bucs. The Bengals had 2 sacks for 8 yards, the Bucs 1 for 5.  That is total for the entire game, not necessarily against Edoga.   Conor McDermott played 100% of the snaps against the Dolphins and Bills and we gave up 6 and 9 sacks respectively, but he was our 5th tackle and we had some other injury issues.  

• Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, #27TheDominator said:

I think this might be overblown.

They're going into the 2022 draft with the exact same OT depth as they came out of the 2020 draft with. Neither Edoga nor McDermott has cleanly beat out the other for the illustrious swing tackle job, given two years to do so and two low bars to clear. Still trying to nail down which of the starters is playing on which side, which is fine because now Fant is expiring and Becton has fatdogged his way to oblivion. It's not good.