Another Draft Day Trade Rumor Surrounding the New York Jets

a few thoughts....

no disrespect to anyone here cause we are all the same, just fans that dont know anything. but when the NFL tells you that they value centers the least you might want to believe the position isnt as important as you think. this is there job and they know more than we do.

KC got the best center last year and the end of the 2nd rd. is Lindenbaum with his really short arms that much better than Humphries? 

Cincinatti who is a player or 2 away from winning a SB with a crappy OL is passing on this guy? shouldn't this tell you something? if he goes in the 1st or 2nd rd it should be to a team with a really good roster that doesnt need much else, not to us a 4 win team with plenty of needs.

there was only 2 Centers with under 32 inch arms to be good. Mangold was one but he has almost an inch longer arms then this guy. the odds are heavy in favor of him busting. not worth a high pick and definitely not worth trading up for.

if JD does this he should be fired before day 2 starts. maybe our next GM will value WRs and the rest of the teams instead of OL.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, DoomProphet said:

100% agree! Not sure why C's are undervalued they are a key cog in the line, they call the protections at the line.

I remember the 1st move Parcells made when he came to our Jets was to grab C Kevin Mawae  in FA. How'd that work out ? Old number 68 was the heart of our OL for years. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, slats said:

**** this! I DO NOT WANT JD to trade up in the first round two years in a row for interior OL. Dumb, just dumb. 

Kinda an overreaction, right?  Trading a 4th or 5th rounder is small potatoes to secure a possible 10 year starter who is a perfect scheme fit.

I get the concern that top picks should only be used on premium positions especially with the cost to sign those positions in free agency.  But I’d be ok with Linderbaum in this scenario.  The Jags Center retired I think so may have to get ahead of them.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, sec143dmf said:

Are you going to make a video about every mock draft and call it a rumor.  First video I was like ok that was a little weird but man these are getting out of hand.  Cant wait until the draft so this nonsense can stop.  

Yeah, I think it's a bit of stretch to label a trade in Kiper's mock draft as a "draft day trade rumor."  It's not coming from any inside information.  It's one person publishing a mock draft for entertainment purposes.

This team has too many needs to start packaging deals for a center.  We will get a better center at some point. More pressing issues. If he's there in round two, and if he is top in terms of "best player available who fills a position of need," then snag him. Hopefully we don't trade up unless there is a no-brainer situation where someone is dropping for no explainable reason. Linerbaum going in the 2nd Round is not him dropping, it's him being drafted in a reasonable spot. 

Snag midget arms in round 3. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

33 minutes ago, David Harris said:

Kinda an overreaction, right?  Trading a 4th or 5th rounder is small potatoes to secure a possible 10 year starter who is a perfect scheme fit.

I get the concern that top picks should only be used on premium positions especially with the cost to sign those positions in free agency.  But I’d be ok with Linderbaum in this scenario.  The Jags Center retired I think so may have to get ahead of them.

Kiper saying the Jets can trade a day 3 pick (I assume our higher 4th rounder) to move up from 35 to 31 doesn't even seem realistic to me.  No way I would take that trade if I were Cincy.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Thai Jet said:

I remember the 1st move Parcells made when he came to our Jets was to grab C Kevin Mawae  in FA. How'd that work out ? Old number 68 was the heart of our OL for years. 

well how did that work out for us? 3 out of his 8 years we made the playoffs. despite all his pro bowls did he really move the needle? plus its different if you want to sign one as a FA over using a high draft pick on one.

Mangod too. only 3 playoff years with him. and i can argue that we would have a SB or two of them if we kept John Abraham who had a really good career after he left here over Mangod.

having a great center doesnt win championships.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, IntoTheGreen said:

I wont mind the idea of taking him in the second if he falls (like many top centers before him). Being a good GM means not overvaluing a player/position. It's not worth the extra assets and the 5th year option isnt necessary either as the position doesnt cost much to tag or extend long term. Dont force moves. If you're going to trade up it's going to be for a position that's higher premium. 

The 5th year option is worthless for a 1st round center. 

In today's cap (revise proportionally for 4 years from now):

• a non-probowl center would be $13MM+ for a 5th year option
  • a 1X probowl center would be $15MM+
  • a 2X probowl center would be almost $17MM

Since those are preposterous numbers in any of those situations, the team's better off with just a regular extension contract. Ergo the 5th year option is worthless for a 1st round center.

• Upvote 3

55 minutes ago, David Harris said:

if AVT continues to play well and Becton stays healthy this guy isnt going to be here for 10 years cause we cant pay him.

thats the problem when you keep drafting high at one position especially OL. if these guys live up to there draft pick spot then you cant pay them all. you might not be able to pay him if you dump Becton. 

1 hour ago, Thai Jet said:

Except he had NFL experience and you could see the value.  Without having to use a draft pick.  

Then add in he was a HOF player.  

• Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

**** this! I DO NOT WANT JD to trade up in the first round two years in a row for interior OL. Dumb, just dumb. 

Let's really solidify that offensive line the way Mangini did with Brick and Mangold int he same draft.

Ickey at number 4 and trade a few spots down from 10 to 20, get an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick and take Lindy later in the first round.

That will continue the line of ELITE Jets centers

Schmidt, Fields, Sweeney, Mawae, Mangold and now, Lindy

• Thumb Down 1

36 minutes ago, doitny said:

if AVT continues to play well and Becton stays healthy this guy isnt going to be here for 10 years cause we cant pay him.

thats the problem when you keep drafting high at one position especially OL. if these guys live up to there draft pick spot then you cant pay them all. you might not be able to pay him if you dump Becton. 

Having a great OL would be a good problem to have. Also by trading up for a late pick you get the fifth year option. 

I don’t want him at 4 or 10 or even in the teens if we traded back but I’d be doing cartwheels to get him 27-33rd

There is no imminent need at center, and Linderbaum has scheme limitations which is why he might slip. If they think they’re getting an elite player and scheme fit at 35/38 and it’s just a too good to be true scenario, McGovern is expiring in a year, then that’d be good. Not a fan of trading up for a rookie center who’d back up for a year or immediately banking on a rookie center protecting a young QB who hasn’t yet been good against pressure.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

3 hours ago, Bronxville Jets Fan said:

Tony Pauline’s article from yesterday:

Tyler Linderbaum as a first-round pick and other offensive line updates

No surprise to me at least, but no team I spoke with had a first-round grade on Iowa center Tyler Linderbaum. It was all early second round.

This needs context. Per Kirwan and Polian and others  they say there are usually only 12-15 players (outside of QB) that have true first round grades.

4 hours ago, slimjasi said:

I have to say that I agree. 

I don't quite understand the obsession this fanbase has with Linderbaum. Looks a like a really good, safe prospect, but it seems to me that this team doesn't have the luxury of trading up for a center. 

This team needs impact players at premium positions. 

Wanted Creed Humphrey last year

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, slats said:

Well, he’s the OL whisperer and can get us the best OL in the league, as long as he gets to trade up in first rounds to draft all 5. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, David Harris said:

Good points.

3 hours ago, DoubleDown said:

Yeah, I think it's a bit of stretch to label a trade in Kiper's mock draft as a "draft day trade rumor."  It's not coming from any inside information.  It's one person publishing a mock draft for entertainment purposes.

Fair enough. I will say Kiper has completely lost all credibility with his mocks. I don't understand his obsession with London going to the Jets. Too much of an injury concern, doesn't separate (which is paramount in the NYJ/SF offense), too slow, and the way he plays he's going to get hurt.

3 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Let's really solidify that offensive line the way Mangini did with Brick and Mangold int he same draft.

Ickey at number 4 and trade a few spots down from 10 to 20, get an extra 2nd or 3rd round pick and take Lindy later in the first round.

Dude, you can’t take two more first round OL after drafting first round OL for the past two years. That is such a bad idea. 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, THE BARON said:

Recipe for the team to suck again

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

The mistake was last year. We’re giving up far less in this hypothetical scenario and Linderbaum is a much better prospect. I’d do it in a heartbeat. 

Spoken like someone who doesn’t want to win this year. The OL is probably their strongest position group right now. Replacing McGovern with Linderbaum doesn’t move the needle for this team. At all. Not this year. Now spend that second round pick on a WR, CB, LB, RB, or  Edge, and it might. Use those picks you would’ve spent to move up on developmental OL, instead. That’s how good teams do it. Jets shouldn’t draft any OL until the third day. Way too many other actual needs. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, slats said:

Spoken like someone who doesn’t want to win this year. The OL is probably their strongest position group right now. Replacing McGovern with Linderbaum doesn’t move the needle for this team. At all. Not this year. Now spend that second round pick on a WR, CB, LB, RB, or  Edge, and it might. Use those picks you would’ve spent to move up on developmental OL, instead. That’s how good teams do it. Jets shouldn’t draft any OL until the third day. Way too many other actual needs. 

With 3 day 2 picks you can make the argument that drafting a quality tackle is a sound move.  

I think the more concerning thing is that i can easily see a draft where the jets go edge at 4 and then Gardner falls to 10 and for the jets it would be a no brainer, so the jets go d 2x in round 1, and then all those wrs are gone and the jets can’t trade back into the first to get even an olave.  So now you’re looking at an offense where you haven’t upgraded the weapons in the draft unless you take a flier on a 2nd round wr or someone like Breece.  

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

With 3 day 2 picks you can make the argument that drafting a quality tackle is a sound move.  

I think the more concerning thing is that i can easily see a draft where the jets go edge at 4 and then Gardner falls to 10 and for the jets it would be a no brainer, so the jets go d 2x in round 1, and then all those wrs are gone and the jets can’t trade back into the first to get even an olave.  So now you’re looking at an offense where you haven’t upgraded the weapons in the draft unless you take a flier on a 2nd round wr or someone like Breece.  

They could, depending on the prospect, but on paper it doesn’t make as much sense. A team that has starter openings shouldn’t be drafting designed backups before drafting presumed starters. Fan desire here aside, they don’t need another starting tackle; they need a spot starter backup, and less-costly veterans are better suited for that role anyway.

I still think a trade is likely to happen - for a veteran WR or just to trade down (for a 2023 1st if he can swing it) - rather than Douglas drafting players at both 4 and 10, though. If not, and he went D with both round 1 picks, then they could also move back into round 1 (if actually needed) for a WR they need, but not for a center they don’t.

• Upvote 1