Another Draft Day Trade Rumor Surrounding the New York Jets

4 minutes ago, DoomProphet said:

This is from an SI article talking about Kiper's mock draft hich has the Jets swapping picks with Bengals to get Iowa C Tyler Linderbaum. I don't think 31 is enough to get Linderbaum, I think he goes somewhere in the 20s personally.

Let me know what you guys think!

There have been a ton of reports of him sliding to that range so not impossible. For some reason the NFL just does not value the C position. It might be from a draft perspective the lowest valued position. I have never understood it, getting Linderbaum would be terrific IMO

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

4 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

There have been a ton of reports of him sliding to that range so not impossible. For some reason the NFL just does not value the C position. It might be from a draft perspective the lowest valued position. I have never understood it, getting Linderbaum would be terrific IMO

100% agree! Not sure why C's are undervalued they are a key cog in the line, they call the protections at the line.

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I have to say that I agree. 

I don't quite understand the obsession this fanbase has with Linderbaum. Looks a like a really good, safe prospect, but it seems to me that this team doesn't have the luxury of trading up for a center. 

This team needs impact players at premium positions. 

Well, we really could use the priority list in order below of needs for the 1st 2 rounds:

Edge

WR

LB 

S

And if we fit in that list at the end C, that is 5 players with 4 picks. So, what ideally we have to do is if Edge and WR are our top 2 priorities we need to get the best we can there using the 4 and 10 picks, but see if we can parlay that with a trade down for one of those picks netting another 2nd rounder at least. That that likely can afford the luxury of waiting to see at 35 if Linderbaum is there and then taking him at that slot, and with the next pick 38 maybe getting the best LB or S, and whichever we don't get, take with the other 2nd rounder we net in the trade down. We really can't afford to trade up since we will then lose 1 of the picks in rounds 3/4 which we will need for depth with another WR, OL, RB, CB, etc.that may even spill into the 5th round for us.

15 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don't quite understand the obsession this fanbase has with Linderbaum. Looks a like a really good, safe prospect, but it seems to me that this team doesn't have the luxury of trading up for a center. 

I'd prefer JD address LB in that case and look to get Dean or Lloyd.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, DoomProphet said:

Really? Wow! Centers are really being undervalued these days which is strange.

I agree and who knows what ultimately is going to happen but the knock on him are his short arms.

I personally don't think its an issue and I believe he has a wrestling background as well which helps for that position.

I hope he is undervalued and underappreciated all the way down to 35!

• Upvote 4

I like the idea of trading up to get Linderbaum - but ironically I think if you were going to make the move the team to move ahead of is Cincinatti. 

The knock on Linderbaum is he is undersized and will only be a fit for a zone blocking scheme. Whether you believe it or not that seems to be the consensus from most draft pundits which explains why he isn't being drafted higher b/c as a pure prospect he is pretty elite. 

In the 20s I'd guess the Packers are a potential - but they drafted Josh Myers in the second last year. Maybe he can be pushed to guard. They need a DT as well (assuming their first pick is a WR) and could double dip at WR - but they could def take him. 

Bengals run outside zone - they loaded up on IOL in FA - but none were major deals that would prohibit them from drafting Linderbaum. 

In the second round - not sure what scheme the Jags will run - but they could take him as well. 

So outside of maybe the Jags I actually think there is a pretty good chance he could fall to 35 if Bengals and Packers pass on him. 

As for trading up - I wouldn't hate it. You could basically trade Sam Darnold (38 + 4th + 6th) to 30 to draft him. We previously traded our stud DE for our franchise center - I'd be fine trading our bust QB for the same if JD thinks hes the guy. 

4 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I agree and who knows what ultimately is going to happen but the knock on him are his short arms.

I personally don't think its an issue and I believe he has a wrestling background as well which helps for that position.

I hope he is undervalued and underappreciated all the way down to 35!

If he makes it to 35, that would be a steal for the Jets IMO

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Same as Fant, McGovern is on the last year of his deal 

unless the Jets start handing out extensions (hah) they are going to draft their replacements sooner rather than later 

Linderbaum is undersized but he's a perfect Jason Kelce type for the Outside zone running scheme. I am usually skeptical when a lineman is hyped this much but his film is absolutely clean. He's just a little small for the position which could drop him to late rd1.

Or put it another way he's not Mangold he's Kevin Mawae. Late rd1, multiple pro bowl type - It's not a crazy thought. 

30 minutes ago, slats said:

**** this! I DO NOT WANT JD to trade up in the first round two years in a row for interior OL. Dumb, just dumb. 

the draft is not about what you or I want 

it's about what JD is going to do and I've never seen a Jets' GM more obsessed with the OL than this guy 

people think he signed Laken so he's done - in 2020 he signed Fant, McG and drafted Becton. He's got a history of throwing premium resources at the line. 

The line fans think is "solid" is actually well below average. I don't think JD will be happy until the jets are considered a perennial top 5 line like the Cowboys were a few years ago. And why not? 

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, slats said:

**** this! I DO NOT WANT JD to trade up in the first round two years in a row for interior OL. Dumb, just dumb. 

The mistake was last year. We’re giving up far less in this hypothetical scenario and Linderbaum is a much better prospect. I’d do it in a heartbeat. 

A rookie at Center in front of a 2nd year QB whose development and success is the primary concern of the GM?  I just don't see it.

If anything, I think the Jets would have made a play for JC Tretter in free agency and then dropped McGovern.

My take is this.... The Jets think McGovern is, at worst, adequate/okay.  The Jets also saw him improve when they upgraded the OGs around him last year adding AVT and LDT.  They think he will be even better being sandwiched between AVT and Tomlinson.  Finally, the Jets prize consistency, especially on the OL where they're heading into the second year with this new system.  They've invested time in McGovern, he played fairly well, and there's comfort with Zach.  If anything, I think the Jets would look for a developmental type Center in the middle rounds to groom behind McGovern for a year.  If they take Linderbaum then McGovern is gone immediately I'd think.  Jets don't want to do that with Zach.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

Are you going to make a video about every mock draft and call it a rumor.  First video I was like ok that was a little weird but man these are getting out of hand.  Cant wait until the draft so this nonsense can stop.  

Is your name Max? Start contributing to the slow season or stop clicking. 

1 minute ago, Bronx said:

Is your name Max? Start contributing to the slow season or stop clicking. 

Doesn't matter what my name is.  It's my opinion that his videos are too much.  Not trying to insult anyone but some of this in my opinion is weird.  At least that bean guys videos are a little entertaining.  Do you want me to post a new video everyday of my 4 year old giving his opinion on the draft?  Content is fun but when its like this I can give my opinion of it being odd.  That's all. Carry on  for two more weeks then everyone can give their non professional opinion about how bad or great Joe D did in the draft....

2 minutes ago, sec143dmf said:

Doesn't matter what my name is.  It's my opinion that his videos are too much.  Not trying to insult anyone but some of this in my opinion is weird.  At least that bean guys videos are a little entertaining.  Do you want me to post a new video everyday of my 4 year old giving his opinion on the draft?  Content is fun but when its like this I can give my opinion of it being odd.  That's all. Carry on  for two more weeks then everyone can give their non professional opinion about how bad or great Joe D did in the draft....

My four year olds videos on the draft would be awesome.  As long as you don't ask him to smile.  Problem is he is usually webbing the camera man.

1 hour ago, DoomProphet said:

Still not an SI article. SI is now in the business of hosting fan blogs without any journalistic standards. FanNation by SI is just a blog hosted by SI for ad revenue. It's just a fan commenting on the Mel Kiper mock. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

When you look at average starting salaries among top 10 players at each position, center is next to last (RG is the lowest).  So, in terms of FA and/or offering a 2nd contract, it is not worth using a premium draft pick when compared to the cost of Edge, WR, LT and IDL...

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Same as Fant, McGovern is on the last year of his deal 

unless the Jets start handing out extensions (hah) they are going to draft their replacements sooner rather than later 

Linderbaum is undersized but he's a perfect Jason Kelce type for the Outside zone running scheme. I am usually skeptical when a lineman is hyped this much but his film is absolutely clean. He's just a little small for the position which could drop him to late rd1.

Or put it another way he's not Mangold he's Kevin Mawae. Late rd1, multiple pro bowl type - It's not a crazy thought. 

the draft is not about what you or I want 

it's about what JD is going to do and I've never seen a Jets' GM more obsessed with the OL than this guy 

people think he signed Laken so he's done - in 2020 he signed Fant, McG and drafted Becton. He's got a history of throwing premium resources at the line. 

The line fans think is "solid" is actually well below average. I don't think JD will be happy until the jets are considered a perennial top 5 line like the Cowboys were a few years ago. And why not? 

Fair. I just don't like trading up in general, which is why I had no problem with folks questioning the value in trading up for AVT, despite the player being such a great prospect. 

If he's Kevin Mawae, I can obviously live with it. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Fair. I just don't like trading up in general, which is why I had no problem with folks questioning the value in trading up for AVT, despite the player being such a great prospect. 

If he's Kevin Mawae, I can obviously live with it. 

AVT was arguably their best player on offense last year 

JD is trying to build an insane ol. Not decent, not good. He wants that super unit. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

A rookie at Center in front of a 2nd year QB whose development and success is the primary concern of the GM?  I just don't see it.

If anything, I think the Jets would have made a play for JC Tretter in free agency and then dropped McGovern.

My take is this.... The Jets think McGovern is, at worst, adequate/okay.  The Jets also saw him improve when they upgraded the OGs around him last year adding AVT and LDT.  They think he will be even better being sandwiched between AVT and Tomlinson.  Finally, the Jets prize consistency, especially on the OL where they're heading into the second year with this new system.  They've invested time in McGovern, he played fairly well, and there's comfort with Zach.  If anything, I think the Jets would look for a developmental type Center in the middle rounds to groom behind McGovern for a year.  If they take Linderbaum then McGovern is gone immediately I'd think.  Jets don't want to do that with Zach.

Agree.  I think the odds of JD extending McGovern are higher than taking a center in the first two rounds...

• Upvote 3

I wont mind the idea of taking him in the second if he falls (like many top centers before him). Being a good GM means not overvaluing a player/position. It's not worth the extra assets and the 5th year option isnt necessary either as the position doesnt cost much to tag or extend long term. Dont force moves. If you're going to trade up it's going to be for a position that's higher premium. 

• Upvote 1