Zach Wilson - some good news from PFF

15 minutes ago, JoeWillieWhiteShoesHOF said:

Can’t teach the ability to hit passes in tight windows.  It’s an awesome attribute in the SkillSet of any QB.  Looks like ZW has that and in reference to the Bucs game it was on full display against the #4 day.  

The trajectory of ZW’s game without a doubt moved in the way you want to see post injury.

I think he only gets better from here and with talent upgrades all around him and a year under his belt under a System he probably knows like the back of his hand now, Jet football should start being lots of fun to watch.

“From your lips to God’s ears”

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Biggs said:

Sabermetrics are one of my favorite advanced stats.  In the case of the advanced stats on Zach it looks like they are simply recognizing that Zach sucked last year and the stats bore out that he sucked.  By going to a smaller sample size and breaking the statistics down to even smaller pieces they are not making a point that Zach didn't suck.  They are simply put it out there that in certain advanced stats where there weren't enough of them to reach any statistical conclusion they ranked him.   I suspect ranking him with such a small sample size on such an advanced metric is a cardinal no no for people who actually understand data.  

I stand by my original post.  A steaming pile of BS.  

So what are your plans this season?

• Upvote 1

Some of you guys must really be just unhappy people.

No one is saying Zach was good - no one is saying these numbers are trying to prove he was good. He wasn't and these don't...

This is a Jet forum - Zach Wilson is the Jets QB - and some stats came out that are kinda fun - carrying a slight sliver of positivity - in an otherwise dismal season.  

Lighten up!

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1
  • Sympathy 2

I’m saying Zach was good and will get better, a lot better.  
Anyone that can’t see that this kid is special is just upset their guy wasn’t drafted or is just parroting those that are.

Top 15 quarterback next year, top 10 year three.

Then once Brady and Rodgers  meet Father Time, top 5.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2

14 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I’m saying Zach was good and will get better, a lot better.  
Anyone that can’t see that this kid is special is just upset their guy wasn’t drafted or is just parroting those that are.

Top 15 quarterback next year, top 10 year three.

Then once Brady and Rodgers  meet Father Time, top 5.

Fancy a $100 wager on that top 15 thingy this season?

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

You forgot:

#1 in ability to mow the lawn with a football.

Im not  sure why short passing stats are even a thing. if you are an NFL caliber QB not only should you complete short passes at a very high percentage but you should hit those receivers in stride as not to break their stride and this is what Zach Struggled with. If he hits a RB in stride that RB has a chance to gain a hell of a lot more yards than if he has to stop and adjust to catch the football. Do advanced metrics cover that ?

• Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

Everyone wants Zach to succeed this year 

but we can’t sink the ship with him in 23 if he is bad again this year 

I think this is correct.  The real question is what does bad mean?

How much progression do we need to see?  Is a Josh Allen year 2 enough?  Does he need to be top half of the league?  Does he need 4,000 yards? etc...Or is it just the eye-test?

For me, showing steady growth throughout the year - to a point where he's playing at top 15 level in the last quarter of the season.  But many believe it needs to be better than that - which I can understand.

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

How much progression do we need to see?  Is a Josh Allen year 2 enough?  Does he need to be top half of the league?  Does he need 4,000 yards? etc...Or is it just the eye-test?

For me, showing steady growth throughout the year - to a point where he's playing at top 15 level in the last quarter of the season.  But many believe it needs to be better than that - which I can understand.

Eye test will be a lot. Like to see Zach go out and win some games for us. That’s what good qbs do. 

def needs to be in top 15 if not what are we doing here? Our window in23 will close. This offense can run with smart veteran who play if it comes to that 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

He needs to be a better passing QB than Allen in year 2, not as good of a QB.  He needs to progress a lot in year 2.   He obviously doesn't have the physicality of Allen and won't produce as many yards and TD's with his feet or extend plays as long.  To be as good as Allen in year 2 he needs to get his completion percentage up into the 60's, he's average yards per attempt up into the high mid 6's and put up 22 to 25 TD's with under 12 INT's.  He also needs to have a couple of games where he seperates himself as a leader.   You want to come out of next year believing he's our QB for a long time.  A couple of games where he plays well from the opening drive to the final gun would be nice. 

Steady growth isn't required at all.  Learning isn't linear for most people.

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Biggs said:

He needs to be a better passing QB than Allen in year 2, not as good of a QB.  He needs to progress a lot in year 2.   He obviously doesn't have the physicality of Allen and won't produce as many yards and TD's with his feet or extend plays as long.  To be as good as Allen in year 2 he needs to get his completion percentage up into the 60's, he's average yards per attempt up into the high mid 6's and put up 22 to 25 TD's with under 12 INT's.  He also needs to have a couple of games where he seperates himself as a leader.   You want to come out of next year believing he's our QB for a long time.  A couple of games where he plays well from the opening drive to the final gun would be nice. 

Steady growth isn't required at all.  Learning isn't linear for most people.

I think this is all entirely fair...

But I do think steady growth is what we should expect.  I'm not talking about week over week (there are good games and bad) but more like breaking the season down into quarters.  I would expect him to evolve over that time period.

He should absolutely be better in the last quarter of the season than he was in the first.

I honestly believe he's going to struggle early, certainly not as bad as last year, but he's still pretty raw.  But I expect that methodically grow over the year.  As the offense becomes more second nature, rather than having to think so much he's going to be fine.  It's just going to take time. 

51 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I think this is all entirely fair...

But I do think steady growth is what we should expect.  I'm not talking about week over week (there are good games and bad) but more like breaking the season down into quarters.  I would expect him to evolve over that time period.

He should absolutely be better in the last quarter of the season than he was in the first.

I honestly believe he's going to struggle early, certainly not as bad as last year, but he's still pretty raw.  But I expect that methodically grow over the year.  As the offense becomes more second nature, rather than having to think so much he's going to be fine.  It's just going to take time. 

I'm expecting it. Hopefully it doesn't last too long. 

But how it usually goes is....we get hyped up it's year 2, things look all nice and pretty then the games start and he's out there throwing 3 yard passes to their feet again at the start of the season and we're all like "ah fak, here we go again..." 

19 hours ago, Biggs said:

Sabermetrics are one of my favorite advanced stats.  In the case of the advanced stats on Zach it looks like they are simply recognizing that Zach sucked last year and the stats bore out that he sucked.  By going to a smaller sample size and breaking the statistics down to even smaller pieces they are not making a point that Zach didn't suck.  They are simply put it out there that in certain advanced stats where there weren't enough of them to reach any statistical conclusion they ranked him.   I suspect ranking him with such a small sample size on such an advanced metric is a cardinal no no for people who actually understand data.  

I stand by my original post.  A steaming pile of BS.  

So take the numbers, that are factual and throw them out as if they didn’t happen.  Not understanding how they weren’t enough.  A 105 rating is a 105 rating, no matter what you think is enough.  

13 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So take the numbers, that are factual and throw them out as if they didn’t happen.  Not understanding how they weren’t enough.  A 105 rating is a 105 rating, no matter what you think is enough.  

1 Complete pass of 25 yards for a td is a stat.  Doesn't mean anything.  A small sample size can show random changes have a large apparent effect on the analysis of the data.   In this case that's what they have done.  It's not relevant. 

A fact doesn't make a relevant conclusion.  

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I'm expecting it. Hopefully it doesn't last too long. 

But how it usually goes is....we get hyped up it's year 2, things look all nice and pretty then the games start and he's out there throwing 3 yard passes to their feet again at the start of the season and we're all like "ah fak, here we go again..." 

Yup.  We'll hear how great he looks in camp and how much more comfortable he is...etc, etc...

I like to think the yips sh*t is behind him, but he's def. going to have rough games still and make dumb mistakes...They just have to be mitigated and overall just look more consistent and comfortable.