Odds of Icky at 4 just increased dramatically

3 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They didn’t “let” him walk; Moses chose to walk. He wants to start and he certainly wasn’t getting guaranteed a starting job here (nor should they have guaranteed it, since Becton and Fant are both better players). He is starting on Baltimore right now, and that’s a better gig than backing up the Jets’ more talented, starting RT.

Plus the truth is he wasn’t that great in pass protection. Or anyway, he was pretty inconsistent, and had some real stinker games. Damn solid run blocker but, even on a team that wants to run the ball more, objective #1 is keeping the QB upright. Wilson’s upside will not be realized by turning him into White, dumping the ball off 40x which - the awesome surprise vs Cin notwithstanding - doesn’t work consistently once everyone else has seen that’s all you’re doing. 

I’d have been behind re-signing Moses, but there are honestly just as good or better options out there from players who project to both sides; the ones left are just a little older so teams are wary of relying upon them to be the starter from start to finish all season. The Jets need a backup capable of extended-starting, though, not a must-start x 17 games 3rd tackle. 

Why is this conept so hard for some to understand.  Moses was a free agent.  It was his choice to leave.  He went to a contender where he will be entering camp as the presumed starter.  I would have iked to have kept him as a depth piece, but that was not an option: he was not going to stay with a rebuilding team as a 6th OL when he had options. 

To me. Becton is the key to the OL this year.  If he can stay on the field and be the guy who flashed as a rookie, the OL can be very good.  I have not completey given up on him as others have, but I do wish I had more confidence that he would get it done this season.  Add a day 2/early day 3 T in the draft for depth and development and I woud be okay with what we have on the line.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I’ve listed at least a few of them multiple times, and they’d be backups unless there was a major failure to Becton or Fant. My fave of the bunch is Jason Peters, who’d cost even less than Moses did last year (never mind this year). Reiff is another who can play both tackle spots.

Here a full, isolated list: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/ufa/tackle/available/

None of these guys will be bank-breakers. At best one of them (maybe Duane Brown) might land a job at $10MM from a team that strikes out landing a LT in the draft. But that’s far from guaranteed.

Here’s the thing: what if Ekwonu isn’t all that? The most important part of the post you’re responding to - which you’ve glossed over - is that almost no one advocating for him at #4 is even entertaining the possibility that this kid might give up ~10 sacks as a rookie, might be the weakest link on the line at a prior area of strength, etc.. The Jets’ ozb takes time to pick up, even for a veteran, particularly for a tackle, and he’s apparently not an elite pass blocking prospect as it is. There’ll be downs where he’s asked to man-up on a RE and maul him into the secondary, but it’s not going to be the norm and anyway I’ve doubts he could do that as impressively as Becton anyway.

In order for him to be a smart pick in hindsight, he’d have to be outstanding at both, and since the #1 goal is getting Wilson (not the new LT) up to speed, he needs to be all that pretty much instantly.

Post above this I outlined the 2 acceptable reasons to draft a tackle in the top 10. Neither of them includes “to get a little better at one of the tackle positions” when the delta between a new rookie & the team’s incumbent is so much greater at multiple other positions. 

I don’t think I’m advocating for taking a tackle, but I’d understand it if they did take the tackle, particularly if they get to 4 and Hutchinson and Thibodeaux are off the board. But even that’s all premised upon the idea that Saleh would want to move on from Becton, which is obviously an unknown. Just in terms of gaming out the hypothetical, should they trade Becton, they’d be in a position of improving upon zero. I get the appeal of bringing in a veteran stopgap, but I guess I just don’t see a massive difference in risk between the three available scenarios:

1. (Most likely) Keeping Becton, hope he comes in in shape, stays healthy and motivated, and seamlessly transitions to right tackle. 

2. Trade Becton for a reasonable pick, use four or ten to draft a high-end rookie to play right tackle. Saleh’s old team did something similar with Mike McGkinchey, who they picked at nine, started at ORG, and eventually moved out to ORT. I don’t think Douglas would consider ORT to be a low-value position, either. The man just spent a ton for guards.

3. Trade Becton for picks, fill his spot with a veteran, draft whoever else at 4 and 10, draft a tackle prospect later in the draft. 

I feel like gambling on Becton to stay healthy and motivated is as scary as gambling on a high end rookie to not outright suck, which is as scary as relying on 40 year old Jason Peters or another street free agent to not give up 8+ sacks with our frightened rabbit QB regardless. 

• Upvote 4

43 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I was very anti-OL at 4...

But if, Hitch and Thib are gone - I would rather that than a CB, S, Walker, JJ etc.

Take a WR at 10...

Go and sign J. Clowney the day after the draft.  Get your edge next year.

I'm still not sold on OL at 4. I'll be happy if we leave the first round with any 2 of the top wr, CB, edge in the draft.  I get that we might be going against the grain of BPA but we need to fill holes here. Why not even just go and get their top WR at 4 and take Hamilton JJ or sauce at 10. One of those guys should be available. Maybe even Walker makes it that far. 

A trade back would obviously be a dream scenario, but I won't hold my breath in that one. 

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I don’t think I’m advocating for taking a tackle, but I’d understand it if they did take the tackle, particularly if they get to 4 and Hutchinson and Thibodeaux are off the board. But even that’s all premised upon the idea that Saleh would want to move on from Becton, which is obviously an unknown. Just in terms of gaming out the hypothetical, should they trade Becton, they’d be in a position of improving upon zero. I get the appeal of bringing in a veteran stopgap, but I guess I just don’t see a massive difference in risk between the three available scenarios:

1. (Most likely) Keeping Becton, hope he comes in in shape, stays healthy and motivated, and seamlessly transitions to right tackle. 

2. Trade Becton for a reasonable pick, use four or ten to draft a high-end rookie to play right tackle. Saleh’s old team did something similar with Mike McGkinchey, who they picked at nine, started at ORG, and eventually moved out to ORT. I don’t think Douglas would consider ORT to be a low-value position, either. The man just spent a ton for guards.

3. Trade Becton for picks, fill his spot with a veteran, draft whoever else at 4 and 10, draft a tackle prospect later in the draft. 

I feel like gambling on Becton to stay healthy and motivated is as scary as gambling on a high end rookie to not outright suck, which is as scary as relying on 40 year old Jason Peters or another street free agent to not give up 8+ sacks with our frightened rabbit QB regardless. 

Trading becton and drafting ekongwu is probably better than improving upon zero, for several reasons - the primary being that based on becton’s 2 yr nfl career, you can make a reasonable extrapolation that he is just not going to be available enough to make a difference.  If ekongwu is merely decent but healthy that’s way better than having this diva drama every week where his conditioning is always an issue even during games.  

Many here have beaten this horse to its proverbial death, but i don’t think the douglas algorithm is that complicated at this point.  Given the talent pool at the top of the draft, it seems reasonable to conclude they’re going OT or edge at 4.  Then you create a decision tree based on the first decision.  If OT at 4, then edge at 10 or in a trade back scenario.  If edge at 4, then wr or OT at 10.  Knowing a bit how douglas things and his pursuit of wrs in FA I think he’d rather hit both lines with 4 and 10 and not use the 10 pick on london or wilson.  Also, one thing douglas has proven to be is a savvy trader so i would guess he’s had talks with teams at the back of round 1 about trading becton for a late 1st or early 2nd if they take ekongwu.  

I can see a draft where they go ekongwu/wr at 4/10, flip becton and then use 3 picks for d.  The edges in late first/early 2nd may be as good as those at the top of round 1 anyway, which could inspire douglas to go OT early.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

Trading becton and drafting ekongwu is probably better than improving upon zero, for several reasons - the primary being that based on becton’s 2 yr nfl career, you can make a reasonable extrapolation that he is just not going to be available enough to make a difference.  If ekongwu is merely decent but healthy that’s way better than having this diva drama every week where his conditioning is always an issue even during games.  

Many here have beaten this horse to its proverbial death, but i don’t think the douglas algorithm is that complicated at this point.  Given the talent pool at the top of the draft, it seems reasonable to conclude they’re going OT or edge at 4.  Then you create a decision tree based on the first decision.  If OT at 4, then edge at 10 or in a trade back scenario.  If edge at 4, then wr or OT at 10.  Knowing a bit how douglas things and his pursuit of wrs in FA I think he’d rather hit both lines with 4 and 10 and not use the 10 pick on london or wilson.  Also, one thing douglas has proven to be is a savvy trader so i would guess he’s had talks with teams at the back of round 1 about trading becton for a late 1st or early 2nd if they take ekongwu.  

I can see a draft where they go ekongwu/wr at 4/10, flip becton and then use 3 picks for d.  The edges in late first/early 2nd may be as good as those at the top of round 1 anyway, which could inspire douglas to go OT early.

+1

I think we got a good window into how Saleh is going to coach this team when Connor Hughes posted that video of Denzel Mims dogging the ladder drill in, what was it, Week 12? According to Hughes, Mims had been a dog in practice all season and is a dead man walking now, but what wasn’t answered was, where were the coaches? Where’s the recourse? If Mims had been dogging practice to the degree that the beat writers are making videos and jokes about it, how is he even still suiting up? Pick your successful coach—Parcells, Belichick, Reid, etc—they would have deposited Mims into a dumpster before they even got to preseason. But Saleh? Nothing. And Mims got all of his game checks despite being terrible both on and off the field. If Saleh isn’t reprimanding these guys, who is? Baby LaFleur, who looks and talks like a librarian? People can make all the excuses for Becton that they want, but Becton is a problem. We’ve all had coworkers where it’s always something with them—legitimate or not—and they’re always calling out, or leaving early, or they have an orthodontist appointment, or they have to be on light duty, etc. etc etc. Becton is just one of those people. I can’t imagine Saleh wants to deal with it, and I don’t think Saleh is equipped to deal with it. If you gave him the choice of having Becton on his team or replacing Becton with a guy who’s just going to show up and grind every day, he’s taking the grinder. 

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

+1

I think we got a good window into how Saleh is going to coach this team when Connor Hughes posted that video of Denzel Mims dogging the ladder drill in, what was it, Week 12? According to Hughes, Mims had been a dog in practice all season and is a dead man walking now, but what wasn’t answered was, where were the coaches? Where’s the recourse? If Mims had been dogging practice to the degree that the beat writers are making videos and jokes about it, how is he even still suiting up? Pick your successful coach—Parcells, Belichick, Reid, etc—they would have deposited Mims into a dumpster before they even got to preseason. But Saleh? Nothing. And Mims got all of his game checks despite being terrible both on and off the field. If Saleh isn’t reprimanding these guys, who is? Baby LaFleur, who looks and talks like a librarian? People can make all the excuses for Becton that they want, but Becton is a problem. We’ve all had coworkers where it’s always something with them—legitimate or not—and they’re always calling out, or leaving early, or they have an orthodontist appointment, or they have to be on light duty, etc. etc etc. Becton is just one of those people. I can’t imagine Saleh wants to deal with it, and I don’t think Saleh is equipped to deal with it. If you gave him the choice of having Becton on his team or replacing Becton with a guy who’s just going to show up and grind every day, he’s taking the grinder. 

To be fair street free agents were getting in the game over Mims. Mims was on the roster because they had no one else. Becton and Mims are on Douglas- who clearly didnt get enough info or build the proper relationships with their college coaches.

• Sympathy 1

13 hours ago, ZachEY said:

Tremendously reassuring commentary on a 3rd year player who was the 11th pick in the draft.

What more could we ask for, really?

Stating that as a contrast to the :"He's fat, lazy, and will either be traded or benched" type comments I've seen in the thread.

He will be a starter this year.

12 hours ago, Spoot-Face said:

I don't think it's too late to get a viable tackle in here, and I don't think they need, or should, address it in the first two rounds. Personally, I'd like it if they drafted one in the 3rd/4th and signed a vet, even if the plan is to start Becton.

We'll see what they (and Becton) do come draft and training camp.

That's what I was thinking as well. I definitely think there are positions you draft every year as either depth or developmental type players (namely Oline, CB and WR), and not just in the 6th / 7th rounds. Pick up the occasional 3rd or 4th round on a guy that either slid a bit or you feel will thrive as a system player.

As for signing a vet, pretty sure it'll come with camp cuts.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Peteo said:

I would hope Becton let the coaches know why he isn't in camp.  Failing to do at least that does him no favors with teammates and coaches.  It may well mean a tackle is taken at 4.

Saleh had discussed weeks ago that Becton would not be in voluntaries.

And even if they decide to replace Becton, it doesn't mean you need to take OT at 4. You can pick someone up to play RT (assuming you want to keep Fant at LT) in later rounds.

Not sure why there is this persistent narrative that OT at 4 is a must, especially on a sub par team that has a lot of holes to fill. Fill gaps before replacing existing players. The only thing that comes to mind is a lack of upper tier talent in this draft (ie - no top tier QB or WR, and the two best rushers may be off the board before the Jets pick, and from there, the next best players are CB, OT, OG and S).

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I think this is a good summary. 

I think another thing to consider is that a lot of people really love Ickey as a prospect and would consider him superior to Becton if Becton was in this draft and some would even argue that he should in the discussion for best overall player in the draft. And this isn't a box safety being the "best player," this is a left tackle prospect. So if the Jets really don't believe in Becton anymore, they will never get a better chance to replace him with high end talent. 

Also  "rabbit QB" - damn, I'm going to troll you so f*cking hard if Wilson somehow ends up being good. LOL

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lith said:

Why is this concept so hard for some to understand.  Moses was a free agent.  It was his choice to leave.  He went to a contender where he will be entering camp as the presumed starter.  I would have liked to have kept him as a depth piece, but that was not an option: he was not going to stay with a rebuilding team as a 6th OL when he had options. 

To me. Becton is the key to the OL this year.  If he can stay on the field and be the guy who flashed as a rookie, the OL can be very good.  I have not completely given up on him as others have, but I do wish I had more confidence that he would get it done this season.  Add a day 2/early day 3 T in the draft for depth and development and I would be okay with what we have on the line.

One thing I would challenge in what you are saying is Becton being the key to the Oline.

I think with Fant, Laken, McGovern, AVT, you have a solid line already. I get that the line is only as good as it's weakest link, but assuming that everyone plays as well as last year (huge assumption), even if they have lesser talent, with Fant, AVT and McG in their second year in this system, and Laken being a pro-bowler, I think you can fit in a 3rd / 4th rounder or a depth guy and still see success with this group. The line would be better with Becton, but I don't think he's the key. If's he's able to pick up where he left off in his rookie season, he can be dominant. 

2 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I was very anti-OL at 4...

But if, Hitch and Thib are gone - I would rather that than a CB, S, Walker, JJ etc.

Take a WR at 10...

Go and sign J. Clowney the day after the draft.  Get your edge next year.

I think if they take Ickey at 4, they would take best edge at 10 and then take a WR at the top of round 2. 

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

+1

The one difference between mims and becton which could ultimately decide their fates, is that mims is in good shape.  Sure he had some issues with covid and the food poisoning which allegedly he never really recovered from, but so far it does seem as if he will hit training camp in pretty good shape or better.  And if he gets his confidence back, he could be a contributor, if not a star.  With becton, his conditioning will always be an issue, which will invariably lead to lower body injuries.  

I do think if ekongwu is there at 4 he’s the pick and they get rid of becton for as much as they can and just move on with all their other picks.  

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I think if they take Ickey at 4, they would take best edge at 10 and then take a WR at the top of round 2. 

If they go ickey at 4 and JJ is there at 10 that’s probably a near perfect scenario for douglas IMO.  Then they can see if a wr slips, or maybe douglas can package becton in a deal and get someone like olave or burks if they’re falling.

1 minute ago, Augustiniak said:

If they go ickey at 4 and JJ is there at 10 that’s probably a near perfect scenario for douglas IMO.  Then they can see if a wr slips, or maybe douglas can package becton in a deal and get someone like olave or burks if they’re falling.

If we are really taking Ickey at 4, the ideal scenario is we trade the Tyreek Hill package for Deebo and then go JJ at 10. 

And I think the scenario you laid out is the other main alternative. 

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

If we are really taking Ickey at 4, the ideal scenario is we trade the Tyreek Hill package for Deebo and then go JJ at 10. 

And I think the scenario you laid out is the other main alternative. 

I vacillate between the deebo scenario and drafting someone b/c i worry about deebo’s health and his hefty price tag.  But i guess that’s secondary to having a competitive team at this point.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Depends if Johnson is still on the board.  If all four edges are gone, it drops off to the next group which goes into round 2.  Think Karlaftis is now in that next tier that includes Ebiketie, etc.  Unless they trade down, I would expect WR in this scenario at 10, because 4 edges, likely 2 CBs off the board (with Stingley rising), 2-3 tackles off the board, and maybe 1 QB… numbers add up to 1st WR being there at 10.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I meant a Peters type as a Becton+Fant backup for a few million, not to be the day 1 starter. Someone who’d ideally be on the sideline all/most of the season but wouldn’t be a train wreck if he had to start longer than expected (like Moses last year).

Agree I’d much rather go with Fant & Becton, and use the team’s highest picks to upgrade elsewhere. Particularly since other positions rotate on & off the field so they’re still weapons even if not starting full time right away. OL they’re either starting or they’re not even wearing a helmet.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

I vacillate between the deebo scenario and drafting someone b/c i worry about deebo’s health and his hefty price tag.  But i guess that’s secondary to having a competitive team at this point.

I think the Jets should primarily use Deebo as a WR and limit his carries - split his carries with Berrios and Moore. 

And I definitely worry about his health and overpaying for him, but we need another stud on offense to pair with Moore. It takes our offense to the next level because now you have Deebo and Moore as a dynamic duo, with Corey Davis ideally positioned as a third option (he's a good third option but a mediocre first or second one) and Berrios as a great option in the slot. 

26 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

That does seem to be the prevailing wisdom but I just don't see how they can wait that long for a WR - The WR room right now has been downgraded since last year - which is hard to imagine.  Adding the 7th or 8th best WR - when they could have the first or second would be nothing short of negligent.

Barring a trade I just don't see how they can pass on a WR at 10.

I do not believe Thib makes it to the Jets - so they will end up with Icky.  Edge will have to wait.  

WR is far more important to this team right now than Edge.

Just my opinion.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slimjasi said:

I think the Jets should primarily use Deebo as a WR and limit his carries - split his carries with Berrios and Moore. 

And I definitely worry about his health and overpaying for him, but we need another stud on offense to pair with Moore. It takes our offense to the next level because now you have Deebo and Moore as a dynamic duo, with Corey Davis ideally positioned as a third option (he's a good third option but a mediocre first or second one) and Berrios as a great option in the slot. 

And now there’s 2 legit TEs as well.  And this is before anything you get from mims.  This is why i don’t think wr is going to be addressed at 4 or 10.  

5 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I meant a Peters type as a Becton+Fant backup for a few million, not to be the day 1 starter. Someone who’d ideally be on the sideline all/most of the season but wouldn’t be a train wreck if he had to start longer than expected (like Moses last year).

Agree I’d much rather go with Fant & Becton, and use the team’s highest picks to upgrade elsewhere. Particularly since other positions rotate on & off the field so they’re still weapons even if not starting full time right away. OL they’re either starting or they’re not even wearing a helmet.

It really would be ideal if the Jets could believe in Becton enough to move forward with him, and if they take Ickey, the 2020 draft immediately becomes an unmitigated disaster (if it isn't already). 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Voluntary workout.  He can perform all responsibilities at home. 

As for his wife’s pregnancy, pretty shameful judging another family’s medical conditions base on your own anecdotal experiences. What if she had a previous miscarriage? Or two? What if she’s preeclamptic and afraid for him to leave? Nobody knows, but ridiculous to assume you know, especially when he can perform all of his responsibilities and be with his partner. 

Plenty of other reasons to judge him, but this one just shows what narrative you’re pushing. 

And it's not like a regular person going to work when their wife is 37 weeks and if something does happen, they can get home right away.

If Becton was in Jersey and something came up, he'd have to get all the way back to Texas.

It's kind of ridiculous that people are arguing that his wife within a few weeks of giving birth is not a good enough reason for him to miss voluntary workouts.

• Sympathy 2

2 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It really would be ideal if the Jets could believe in Becton enough to move forward with him, and if they take Ickey, the 2020 draft immediately becomes an unmitigated disaster (if it isn't already). 

If you’re douglas, your job depends on wilson developing, so I don’t see how you can put your career in becton’s health at this point.  It’s safer to draft ickey, flip becton and move on.  

• Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

That does seem to be the prevailing wisdom but I just don't see how they can wait that long for a WR - The WR room right now has been downgraded since last year - which is hard to imagine.  Adding the 7th or 8th best WR - when they could have the first or second would be nothing short of negligent.

I do not believe Thib makes it to the Jets - so they will end up with Icky.  Edge will have to wait.  

Just my opinion.

I respect the argument. 

But what might happen in practice is that the Jets have a very similar grade on a lot of the WRs in this draft. Hence, the Jets might be nearly as excited to get a guy like Pickens in round 2 (just an example, insert someone you like here) as they would Williams/London/Wilson in round 1.

I think there was a very telling moment at the press conference last week - Rex Hogan spoke of there being "parity" at the WR position in this draft  - I think that might have tipped their hand a bit, but we'll see. 

9 minutes ago, Augustiniak said:

And now there’s 2 legit TEs as well.  And this is before anything you get from mims.  This is why i don’t think wr is going to be addressed at 4 or 10.  

5 more days and we shall see.

Barring any trades, I would bet big money that it's a WR at 10.

• Sympathy 1

11 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Just my opinion.

It’s not just that.  I think there is a real possibility that BPA is the receiver.  If KT is gone by 4, and assuming the Jets go Ickey, then the run on edges is likely to include Walker and Johnson before 10.  That will leave a best WR as BPA.  It only gets interesting if Johnson and the WRs are both there.

If KT is the pick at 4, then it is more likely that the run on tackles has happened. Again now you are looking at 1st or 2nd WR being the BPA at 10.  Would they pick Penning over the WR?  That will be the thing to watch.  

The curveball will be if KT, Hutch, and Ickey are all off the board at 4.  (I tend to doubt it, as I think there is some smoke to Gardner or Stingley coming off the board at 3).  What do the Jets do?  Overdraft Johnson?  Are they higher on Neal or Cross that I suspect?  Or do they shock folks a bit and take a Stingley or Gardner?  I have no idea what they would do. I really think this is a Ickey vs. KT vs. maybeeeee Johnson at 4.  Otherwise they see one of these CBs as unicorns.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BroadwayJoe12 said:

Voluntary workout.  He can perform all responsibilities at home. 

As for his wife’s pregnancy, pretty shameful judging another family’s medical conditions base on your own anecdotal experiences. What if she had a previous miscarriage? Or two? What if she’s preeclamptic and afraid for him to leave? Nobody knows, but ridiculous to assume you know, especially when he can perform all of his responsibilities and be with his partner. 

Plenty of other reasons to judge him, but this one just shows what narrative you’re pushing. 

6dkwir.jpg