Odds of Icky at 4 just increased dramatically

Id expect Becton's wife is carrying an enormous baby and who knows his that will impact timings and risk to her. 

Connor has become more and more the mouthpiece of the organization though so I was caught off guard by his vitriol today...

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jets Things said:

My wifne had four scheduled c-sections all in week 40. I was working up until week 39 1/2. Unless Becton's girlfriend has some pregnancy issues, there is no reason he shouldn't be with the team until week 39. 

Were you traveling out of state for work at week 38-39 of your wife's pregnancy? 

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, jetblue95 said:

no i did not.  but i can get to my job by taking a subway 3 stops and i can get from my office to the hospital in about 10 minutes via a cab.  and while my job doesn't require much travel, i definitely would not have gone out of town after week 37.  then again, my first one was born during week 37 and the 2nd during week 38.

and again, week 40 is meaningless.  i can't believe you actually have children (as seems to be the case from your response) and think that all pregnancies go to 40 weeks.

I didn't actually say that ALL pregnancies go 40 weeks. Try reading buddy. My point is you guys are acting like she's ready to pop right now and that's why he's missing OTA's. It's a convenient excuse,  just like it's very convenient that the report came out that Becton skipped OTA's and THEN his wife  tweeted that she was 37 weeks pregnant. If the Jets believed that his excuse was legitimate they would have made note of it just like they did for McGovern whose wife just gave birth. 

The Jets silence on Bectons absence is a problem. Legit excuses to miss OTA's get mentioned by the organization to avoid public outcry. They did not try to protect Becton from the backlash. That speaks volumes, but keep making excuses for him. 

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Not everyone is your wife and not every pregnancy is the same. Becton is a giant, his DNA is different than yours.

We're talking about voluntary off-season workouts that he can do in the same town his gf is with his personal trainer. 

Get a grip.

Do you think he's going to have a 40 LB baby bc he's 500 lbs? That's not how it works

And his "Personal Trainer" lives and trains in Dallas and Becton can't be 3 miles from his wife that's due in a month so how could he ever be in Dallas training? Quick answer, he's not. His personal trainer right now is the Burger King

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, choon328 said:

The Jets silence on Bectons absence is a problem. Legit excuses to miss OTA's get mentioned by the organization to avoid public outcry. They did not try to protect Becton from the backlash. That speaks volumes, but keep making excuses for him

Voluntary.  You don’t need an excuse to miss something you don’t have to be at. I don’t get what’s so hard to understand every spring workout.  He isn’t required to be there and isn’t getting paid to be there.  Would it look good to be there?  Sure.  Will it make a shred of difference?  No.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Sammybighead said:

saw a similar report about kadarius toney on the giants. I shrugged my shoulders and said who cares, it's mid april voluntary practice. I'll say the same for Becton. But he better show up to camp under 350lbs.

The only things about April that are guaranteed are schizophrenic weather: 65 one day followed by ( rain/hail/snow) and baseball being played in 40 ish degrees. Big Ticket will be ready. 

2 minutes ago, 65 Toss Power Trap said:

Considering how many pages we devoted to Will Smith, we better keep it going a little bit longer. This topic actually has to do with left tackle, one of the top two or three positions on the field for any team. 

1090701348_images(1)(23).jpeg.21b79606fb8f59e8d531c7321f09318f.jpeg

I've said since the beginning that Ekwonu was the best pick here, unless you trade down and I do think he is ultimately the right play here.  He's the only player in the draft that is imo elite enough to warrant a 1-5 pick...  All the rest you lose value compared to any other year.

The problem with the Ekwonu pick is that he will take a bit of coaching into LaFleurs scheme (so he might have early struggles), and also, where do you put him?  You can't put him at RT as he is the new franchise LT..  So Fant goes back to RT and you flip Becton?  Or you flip Fant and try to salvage a pissed off Becton (who is not a scheme fit?).  Its not ideal either way.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, T0mShane said:

You know who desperately needs a tackle and is about to have their turn in the barrel once Deebo gets paid? The Seattle Seahawks. 

It could be a win win for all parties.

Seahawks get a tackle with All-Pro potential, and probably another  pick. There would be less negative optics as opposed to getting #10 back or 2 2nds, as they have a chance to win the trade if Becton works out.

Jets are in position to take a tackle at 4, or resign Fant, and grab a RT later. They get a proven WR that can help in 2022, and has synergy with E.Moore, and supposed friends with Zach.

Metcalf gets paid, and can play with two of his friends. Although, not sure if that would be enough for him.

Becton gets a fresh start in a media market that is less imposing, and is guaranteed a starting job.

Not saying this would be ideal, but could be a silver lining in the event Becton isn't in the future plans.

• Post of the Week 1

Voluntary.  You don’t need an excuse to miss something you don’t have to be at. I don’t get what’s so hard to understand every spring workout.  He isn’t required to be there and isn’t getting paid to be there.  Would it look good to be there?  Sure.  Will it make a shred of difference?  No.  

Again ... this an optics failure. Like the unadvised tweeting and big bust shirt ... this kid just seems pretty lacking in the maturity and intelligence depts. He thought he could ride his genetics through his career and was rudley awakened by Lawson last offseason. Either he has surrounded himself with complete idiots from an image/branding point of view , or he has surrounded himself with nobody... which essentially is the same thing. I think he will remain a manchild for the foreseeable future.even if he made a single day appearance at 1 jets drive... for team spirit and to connect w Saleh, that would have gone a long way towards avoiding criticism.
  • Upvote 1

Do we need a Tackle on the team right now... The answer to that question is No. That said, if he is the highest person on JD's board at our time to pick be it 4 or another number I want JD picking the best players we can get. We need football players on this team no matter where they play... end of sentence.

4 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Te problem is it’s not a huge improvement to the team like we’d see at edge or wr.

I’ve never been a fan of taking the safest pick with the (presumed) highest floor, irrespective of actual need. That’s a Maccagnan philosophy; the move of a scout who’s concerned more with his own personal hit/miss rate than moves that’d noticeably improve the team if they do hit.

The only way he makes sense is if neither Fant nor Becton is in the team’s plans for at least the next couple years. Otherwise, since both our tackles already project to LT, and each has demonstrated superbowl-adequate prowess at it, we’d be over-drafting to effectively fill the RT position, and in the short term (perhaps the entire upcoming season) we’d be downgrading at LT in pass protection in what’s supposed to be a “no excuses” year for Wilson (and probably downgrading at RT, too, since Fant projects more poorly to the right side). The last thing we should be doing is giving Wilson another valid excuse for under-performing just so a rookie LT can learn on the job.

The goal of the OL is ultimately to not hold back the offensive playmakers; not to hide the team not having them. There’s no magical OL that’s going to afford Wilson an average of 4 seconds in the pocket no matter who we draft, and the pursuit of that goal is folly. Neither Super Bowl team had an elite OL (Cin’s was objectively below average, and was decidedly worse than the line the Jets have right now, and got to where they did by ignoring the “no brainer” move to draft another LT). These teams had QBs who delivered the ball to serious playmakers, and put serious pressure on opposing QBs.

A #4 pick tackle should be to replace a stopgap scrub, to immediately be the team’s badly-needed starting tackle. A tackle for the future is found after round 1, not inside the top 5; that’s exclusively for current holes (unless you’re talking QBs). The team has holes at edge, wr, lb, and is treading water with at least one stopgap db (probably two) that could use upgrading.

Barring the team deciding they’re done with Becton even if they don’t take a tackle in round 1, they should draft a tackle in round 3 or 4 to groom for starting in ‘23 or ‘24, and sign another veteran tackle for a few million who’s capable of starting half a season if needed; then use the #4 pick to upgrade an actual hole, or move down to add another 1st in ‘23 in case they do need to rethink QB.

Draft Ekwonu at #4 and not only might the team be merely marginally better this year, but it might even be worse: 

I don’t think anyone’s considering the realistic possibility that a not-elite pass blocking rookie in the first place, playing in a new scheme in the hot seat on the line, he gives up 7-10 sacks, an even greater number of QB hits, plus another 50+ pressures/hurries, and a number of drive-killing penalties in between. All they see is upside, and a presumption that he’ll step in and instantly play like a veteran all-pro. In your post you’re one of a rare few (in favor of picking him) who acknowledges there even might be an extended learning curve that lasts at least this season. But if the team could weather the season with a rookie LT allowing excess sacks, hits, and pressure on its young QB, then that inadvertently argues that result is not the season-killer we’d be subjected to in his absence.

Great post.

I bring up that last point repeatedly, and it’s a really important one. There’s a very real chance a rookie tackle is a downgrade, not an upgrade, and Wilson hasn’t dealt with pressure well now or in college. Ekwonu’s questions come in pass protection too. Folks think about tackle as a “safe” pick, but a rookie tackle taken at 4 they didn’t really need struggling in pass protection leading to Wilson having a bad season is something that I think could actually get Douglas fired, and I think he has more job security than the site acknowledges.

Also directly related to one of your other really good points, there are still free agent tackles. They’re not Pro Bowlers, but I think they are solid backup tackle candidates and guys who could perform capably of they had to play. I imagine they’re still out there because they want to start. But the Jets can and probably should sign one of those guys.

The hole, as you said, is almost certainly at right tackle. Moses filled that spot capably and was a June pickup for a few million. That’s a far cry from the fourth pick. They don’t need to do a June pickup for a few million again for a backup tackle, though I think they could, but somewhere closer to that than the fourth pick is a better investment of assets AND gives you more certainty of what you’re getting at the NFL level, especially in pass protection, with a young QB.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Dunnie said:

Again ... this an optics failure. Like the unadvised tweeting and big bust shirt ... this kid just seems pretty lacking in the maturity and intelligence depts. He thought he could ride his genetics through his career and was rudley awakened by Lawson last offseason. Either he has surrounded himself with complete idiots from an image/branding point of view , or he has surrounded himself with nobody... which essentially is the same thing. I think he will remain a manchild for the foreseeable future.even if he made a single day appearance at 1 jets drive... for team spirit and to connect w Saleh, that would have gone a long way towards avoiding criticism.

He's likely devising a victim narrative that he will absolutely leverage in the near future/once he's off the roster. Jets would be best to ignore.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt39 said:

He's likely devising a victim narrative that he will absolutely leverage in the near future/once he's off the roster. Jets would be best to ignore.

Wonder how much milage you can get from that any more.

Carolina made a pretty big bet that the Jets were the problem.  Seattle made a monster bet that the Jets were the problem.

In both cases, those bets failed spectacularly.

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Te problem is it’s not a huge improvement to the team like we’d see at edge or wr.

I’ve never been a fan of taking the safest pick with the (presumed) highest floor, irrespective of actual need. That’s a Maccagnan philosophy; the move of a scout who’s concerned more with his own personal hit/miss rate than moves that’d noticeably improve the team if they do hit.

The only way he makes sense is if neither Fant nor Becton is in the team’s plans for at least the next couple years. Otherwise, since both our tackles already project to LT, and each has demonstrated superbowl-adequate prowess at it, we’d be over-drafting to effectively fill the RT position, and in the short term (perhaps the entire upcoming season) we’d be downgrading at LT in pass protection in what’s supposed to be a “no excuses” year for Wilson (and probably downgrading at RT, too, since Fant projects more poorly to the right side). The last thing we should be doing is giving Wilson another valid excuse for under-performing just so a rookie LT can learn on the job.

The goal of the OL is ultimately to not hold back the offensive playmakers; not to hide the team not having them. There’s no magical OL that’s going to afford Wilson an average of 4 seconds in the pocket no matter who we draft, and the pursuit of that goal is folly. Neither Super Bowl team had an elite OL (Cin’s was objectively below average, and was decidedly worse than the line the Jets have right now, and got to where they did by ignoring the “no brainer” move to draft another LT). These teams had QBs who delivered the ball to serious playmakers, and put serious pressure on opposing QBs.

A #4 pick tackle should be to replace a stopgap scrub, to immediately be the team’s badly-needed starting tackle. A tackle for the future is found after round 1, not inside the top 5; that’s exclusively for current holes (unless you’re talking QBs). The team has holes at edge, wr, lb, and is treading water with at least one stopgap db (probably two) that could use upgrading.

Barring the team deciding they’re done with Becton even if they don’t take a tackle in round 1, they should draft a tackle in round 3 or 4 to groom for starting in ‘23 or ‘24, and sign another veteran tackle for a few million who’s capable of starting half a season if needed; then use the #4 pick to upgrade an actual hole, or move down to add another 1st in ‘23 in case they do need to rethink QB.

Draft Ekwonu at #4 and not only might the team be merely marginally better this year, but it might even be worse: 

I don’t think anyone’s considering the realistic possibility that a not-elite pass blocking rookie in the first place, playing in a new scheme in the hot seat on the line, he gives up 7-10 sacks, an even greater number of QB hits, plus another 50+ pressures/hurries, and a number of drive-killing penalties in between. All they see is upside, and a presumption that he’ll step in and instantly play like a veteran all-pro. In your post you’re one of a rare few (in favor of picking him) who acknowledges there even might be an extended learning curve that lasts at least this season. But if the team could weather the season with a rookie LT allowing excess sacks, hits, and pressure on its young QB, then that inadvertently argues that result is not the season-killer we’d be subjected to in his absence.

I'd only consider a OL at 4 if they're dead set on trading Becton. Otherwise, it just gets messy with who plays where and when.

But if they did, I think it would be Neal or Cross not Ekwonu, who both would be a better fit at RT. Then they take WR at 10. Edge with the 3rd pick. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Wonder how much milage you can get from that any more.

Carolina made a pretty big bet that the Jets were the problem.  Seattle made a monster bet that the Jets were the problem.

In both cases, those bets failed spectacularly.

Not much as long as you block out the outside noise. Becton's issue is himself. Until he realizes that nothing changes with his career (which is fizzling).

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I don’t think anyone’s considering the realistic possibility that a not-elite pass blocking rookie in the first place, playing in a new scheme in the hot seat on the line, he gives up 7-10 sacks, an even greater number of QB hits, plus another 50+ pressures/hurries, and a number of drive-killing penalties in between

Who’s the free agent tackle the Jets can sign today who also doesn’t pose this risk? If resource allocation is the primary driver in this decision, their best move is to keep Becton and make Saleh figure it out. That said, I don’t think they’d draft RT at 4, but I think, in the scenario where Douglas waves the white flag on Becton in deference to Saleh, Douglas is going to want to save face by replacing with a player that can be as good or better than Becton should have been, and if he has a hard on for Ekonwu, he can justify the cost in his own mind by saying he replaced Becton with a better Becton plus any draft haul he actually gets for Becto

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MichaelScott said:

For those of you that have Tiktok:

Meanwhile, over at the Bucs facility, we have Tristan Wirfs' workout vids ??

https://vm.tiktok.com/ZTdXwWMeo/

We have a still of a Triceps push down, video game streaming and Twitter hissy fits from a slob that feels he doesn't need to show up to team activities.

Wirfs would have been a Mangold like presence with the Jets. He's an awesome dude.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Who’s the free agent tackle the Jets can sign today who also doesn’t pose this risk? If resource allocation is the primary driver in this decision, their best move is to keep Becton and make Saleh figure it out. That said, I don’t think they’d draft RT at 4, but I think, in the scenario where Douglas waves the white flag on Becton in deference to Saleh, Douglas is going to want to save face by replacing with a player that can be as good or better than Becton should have been, and if he has a hard on for Ekonwu, he can justify the cost in his own mind by saying he replaced Becton with a better Becton plus any draft haul he actually gets for Becto

Plus you have the reality where the jets have the 4 and 10 picks in a weak draft class, where they’re not in the market for a qb, it is difficult to trade out of 4, the edge rushers are good not great and debatable who’s better anyway.  In other words, even if douglas were to go BAP, OL could justifiably be the pick.  So if saleh and his staff feel that becton is toast, then just trade him, draft his replacement and move on.  Rip off the band aid while the guy’s trade value may still be high.

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, choon328 said:

I didn't actually say that ALL pregnancies go 40 weeks. Try reading buddy. My point is you guys are acting like she's ready to pop right now and that's why he's missing OTA's. It's a convenient excuse,  just like it's very convenient that the report came out that Becton skipped OTA's and THEN his wife  tweeted that she was 37 weeks pregnant. If the Jets believed that his excuse was legitimate they would have made note of it just like they did for McGovern whose wife just gave birth. 

The Jets silence on Bectons absence is a problem. Legit excuses to miss OTA's get mentioned by the organization to avoid public outcry. They did not try to protect Becton from the backlash. That speaks volumes, but keep making excuses for him. 

well you said he had 4 more weeks, seeming to imply that he had to week 40.  again, i don't know the details of his fiancee's pregnancy.  i do know that my first child was born via a scheduled c-section in week 37 and my 2nd in week 38. 

as to the jets, JD addressed it and said the team was on top of it and in discussions with his medical team in dallas.  and based on this article, it seems that the girlfriend (or fiancee) is in dallas with him:

https://nypost.com/2022/04/21/mekhi-bectons-voluntary-workout-absence-not-worrying-jets/

Tackle Mekhi Becton chose to stay in Dallas rather than joining the team in Florham Park this week. The offseason program began Monday.

“These are voluntary,” general manager Joe Douglas said. “Just in terms of Mekhi, we’ve had great dialogue and discussion back and forth with his medical team back in Dallas. We’re on top of everything with him right now. Again, these are voluntary sessions.”

A source said Becton’s girlfriend is expecting a baby soon, and he wants to remain in Dallas with her until the child is born.

• Upvote 3

Heard a great spot last week on Sirius NFL radio with Bill Polian, as he was going over the OT class. Bill can be a crank sometimes, but on this segment he was fantastic. Started off by saying how the perception of the RT has changed over the years. Said that when teams played the old basic 2 WR, 1TE that would go out on pass plays, the RT, who was usually nowhere near the athlete of the LT, could always get a 2nd TE to help in pass protection. Then, when he was with Buffalo, and they started the "K gun" with multiple WR's and TE's in the passing game, teams started drafting RT that basically had much of the same athletic skill traits as guys you would play at LT. Basically said that the RT is now out on an island just like the LT. That led him into the review of the OT's in general. For starters, he said that Cross and Penning right now are the only guys he would absolutely have no worries playing LT right out of the gate. Neal probably will be LT, but not entirely sure. Ekwonu was an interesting take. He referred to him as a "leaner" which is a balance and blocking term, and it's kind of a red flag as far a LT goes.Means that they just don't really get set, and have to lean into their pass pro sometimes, and are easy pickings for the edge guys at the next level. Said it can be coached out of them, but his experience has been it's not likely to happen. That said, loves Icky, thinks he is gonna be a great pro, but either at G or RT, not LT. HIs main point is that RT's are way better athletes today than in the past, but the elite guys are still the LT.

10 minutes ago, jetblue95 said:

“These are voluntary,” general manager Joe Douglas said. “Just in terms of Mekhi, we’ve had great dialogue and discussion back and forth with his medical team back in Dallas. We’re on top of everything with him right now. Again, these are voluntary sessions.”

A source said Becton’s girlfriend is expecting a baby soon, and he wants to remain in Dallas with her until the child is born.

And with that, it’s really not any of our business. Ffs with our fans.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1