Jump to content

Odds of Icky at 4 just increased dramatically


HawkeyeJet

Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

No one has any information on the details of the Becton pregnancy. Common or not, people give birth much earlier than 40 weeks all the time. Things come up and if you have a high risk pregnancy the chance of needing to have the baby prior to week 40 is higher. I know this from experience as my wife had a high risk pregnancy and had to give birth much earlier. I'm not saying this is the case with Becton but no one knows any of the private details. Everyone assuming everything is perfect and "normal" is taking a lot for granted. Almost 10% of all babies born in the US are born prior to week 37. That's 1 in 10 for all the math wizards out there.

Stop pretending like you know the details of this situation. Not all pregnancies are created equal.

Aside from that, we're talking about voluntary workouts that can easily be done off site. Even if it's not a high risk pregnancy is there really any urgency to him working out in NJ vs. TX when his baby is almost due? 

I could say the same for you.  You and the other side of the argument are making the same amount of assumptions as the people you are scoffing at.  

To be 100% honest, I really don’t give a sh*t if he stays with his wife at 37 weeks pregnant. That’s his right to choose.  I’m not overly upset at Becton at all, but people running to his defense like he’s just some poor kid getting a bad wrap are quite ridiculous.  This stuff doesn’t happen in a vacuum.  I’d say my track record speaks for itself on not attacking players or giving anyone associated with the Jets a LOT of rope, but that doesn’t mean I have to ignore the terrible optics that have surrounded Mekhi for the better part of a year now.  You can believe that means nothing.  That is completely fine. 

 

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, HawkeyeJet said:

I could say the same for you.  You and the other side of the argument are making the same amount of assumptions as the people you are scoffing at.  

To be 100% honest, I really don’t give a sh*t if he stays with his wife at 37 weeks pregnant. That’s his right to choose.  I’m not overly upset at Becton at all, but people running to his defense like he’s just some poor kid getting a bad wrap are quite ridiculous.  This stuff doesn’t happen in a vacuum.  I’d say my track record speaks for itself on not attacking players or giving anyone associated with the Jets a LOT of rope, but that doesn’t mean I have to ignore the terrible optics that have surrounded Mekhi for the better part of a year now.  You can believe that means nothing.  That is completely fine. 

 

I'm not making any assumptions and explicitly said so much. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Who’s the free agent tackle the Jets can sign today who also doesn’t pose this risk? If resource allocation is the primary driver in this decision, their best move is to keep Becton and make Saleh figure it out. That said, I don’t think they’d draft RT at 4, but I think, in the scenario where Douglas waves the white flag on Becton in deference to Saleh, Douglas is going to want to save face by replacing with a player that can be as good or better than Becton should have been, and if he has a hard on for Ekonwu, he can justify the cost in his own mind by saying he replaced Becton with a better Becton plus any draft haul he actually gets for Becto

Relative to a rookie? I'd trust Darryl Williams, Riley Reiff, or old friend Brandon Shell more, and if they're open to flipping sides guys like Duane Brown and Eric Fisher are available as well. All those guys are established pros and besides Brown are in their late 20's or early 30's. I'm sure they want a starting job bug I'm sure Morgan Moses did too last year. And the resource allocation is a huge factor.

I still think the way you have Saleh justifying cost is off. Anyone at 4 costs more than Becton returns. I think Saleh is smarter than that. I could see him really liking Ekwonu as a person but think he also understands the importance of pass protection and am sure he saw the value of a steady guy in Morgan Moses last year.

And we Douglas explicitly said he noticed how the Super Bowl teams were built early in the offseason. After leaks the last few years I cannot help but really, really hope that this is a smokescreen because it's bad resource allocation, shows a lack of ability to learn and adjust, and would be another leak which we really shouldn't see the team have.

We also have @Zachtomims47 consistently telling us that Ekwonu doesn't top their tackle board despite prevailing opinion. Maybe he's wrong but I don't think he is. In my opinion the most likely tackle scenario by a mile is Charles Cross at 10. Wouldn't be surprised if he's their top guy and at 10 maybe they take him and figure it out. Even that I don't think would be good but I could see it.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, HawkeyeJet said:

Exactly.   Let’s not pretend that Becton doesn’t have access to things regarding travel that most of us schlubs don’t.  

If a contraction happens, or even something that could be remotely confused as a contraction, hop on the plane and you are back at home with the Wife before she’s even close to going to the hospital.

And it’s not even taking into account that a baby in week 37 is not that common.  Not entirely uncommon, but not likely. 

If she was 39 weeks pregnant or on bed rest or something then I would not think twice about it.  To each their own I suppose.

wait, this is a serious post?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think this scenario—where the coaches told him to stay home all year because George Fant had replaced him—is more damning than the one I suggested, where he simply dogged his rehab work.

Stop it. Dude. He got hurt, badly. And had surgery. These are facts. How can you possibly gloss over that? Even if his rehab went longer than expected. Even if he COULD have gotten into playing shape faster, gotten on the field sooner. You are acting like he had a mild ankle sprain he could have played through and decide to sit the season out instead. Its b.s. and completely invalidates your opinion.

Stay home 'all year'?? He literally had surgery to clean out cartilage in his knee. What the f**k are you talking about. Stop acting like he could come back any sooner than week 6-10 (originally optimistic reports). Lets say he came back week 10. Thats FAR from being back ALL year. Maybe, maybe he gets 1/2 a season AT BEST after that injury. 

Either way your language skewing about what actually happened is silly. Yes, he put on weight while healing his knee. This has been reported and pretty much confirmed. It took him longer than your typical player to rehab. He's not your average football player. Not your average human. He's gigantic. I'm going to guess he's never been through an injury like this. 

What I'm implying is that there were only a couple of games left in the season. He was close to, if not ready to come back, but the coaches probably didn't feel it was necessary to rush him at the risk of re-injuring his leg or enduring a set back. Especially with Fant having a career year and the season being all but over- no chance at playoffs. This is not damning at all. Fant played great. You have to give him credit.    

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Who’s the free agent tackle the Jets can sign today who also doesn’t pose this risk? If resource allocation is the primary driver in this decision, their best move is to keep Becton and make Saleh figure it out. That said, I don’t think they’d draft RT at 4, but I think, in the scenario where Douglas waves the white flag on Becton in deference to Saleh, Douglas is going to want to save face by replacing with a player that can be as good or better than Becton should have been, and if he has a hard on for Ekonwu, he can justify the cost in his own mind by saying he replaced Becton with a better Becton plus any draft haul he actually gets for Becto

Eric Fisher. he wants 8 mil and to start. so if you wanted to move on from Becton that is an option. i personally dont want to move on from Becton after just 2 years. his 1st year was pretty good.

if JD drafts Ekonwu and pushes Edge or WR till 35 and the position he passed on has a guy that plays really well and we win 5-6 games JD is fired. he cant used a mulligan to replace his 1st rd pick with a 1st rd pick from just 2 years ago.

and your not getting a draft hall for him. all the red flags that we see so do other teams. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

We’ll get an edge or WR with the other first.

They should be getting both. 
 
Look, they’re set at LT this year, and probably at both spots. If it’s a concern, there are starting caliber RTs still available in free agency. Don’t have to spend a top ten pick on a RT, either. You can probably find a starter in the third round (which is as early as I’d draft OL this year). You know what’s not available in free agency? Quality Edges or WRs. Those guys get resigned or franchised.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, ryu79 said:

Id expect Becton's wife is carrying an enormous baby and who knows his that will impact timings and risk to her. 

Connor has become more and more the mouthpiece of the organization though so I was caught off guard by his vitriol today...

It was surprising to read Connor’s reaction.  Something is up.

 

If Ticket was staying home for the pregnancy then Douglas would’ve said it.  
Maybe the oft rumored Ticket for Juedy trade is finally going to happen? 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Jimmy 2 Times said:

It was surprising to read Connor’s reaction.  Something is up.

 

If Ticket was staying home for the pregnancy then Douglas would’ve said it.  
Maybe the oft rumored Ticket for Juedy trade is finally going to happen? 

A week before the draft and we're taking the signals being sent from the Jets GM & media mouth piece at face value?

Could be a message being sent to Becton, sure. Could also be a message being sent to any GM that covets a top LT prospect. You want Ekwonu, he might not be there at #5 so you best trade up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, slats said:

They should be getting both. 
 
Look, they’re set at LT this year, and probably at both spots. If it’s a concern, there are starting caliber RTs still available in free agency. Don’t have to spend a top ten pick on a RT, either. You can probably find a starter in the third round (which is as early as I’d draft OL this year). You know what’s not available in free agency? Quality Edges or WRs. Those guys get resigned or franchised.

there will be quality receivers in the 2nd round. At least not a dramatic drop off compared to the 1st round receivers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ZachEY said:

3 weeks before my wife had our kids, I was working.

That is not remotely the same thing, though.

1. Becton being there is voluntary. I take it your work wasn't?

2. Becton is not being paid any extra for being present, i.e. has no financial incentive to be there. I assume, with a baby on the way and the monumental future cost that incurs, earning every dollar you could was important, no?

Honest question: if your boss gave you a voluntary assignment that took you out of town, away from your pregnant wife, and didn't pay you a dime, would you go?*

*inb4 obligatory Al Bundy "Hell, yeah, getting away from my wife is payment enough" joke.

  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Alka said:

I agree with you, but who said that the Jets would have to trade Becton at all?  Becton is on his rookie contract still, going into year #3, and if Ecky is drafted, he would be on his rookie contract.  Fant becomes a free agent after this year, and my feeling is he would want somewhere around $15M per year to stay with the Jets.  If Fant plays great and Becton gets injured again, then you resign Fant and trade Becton.  Or, if Becton plays great and Fant is just okay, you move on from Fant, and you have both Ecky and Becton moving forward.  

If JD is really interested in drafting the best available player, and Hutchinson and Sauce are gone by #4, then the BAP just might be Ecky.  Who knows?

so Fant and Becton will be the starters? that means Ecky is on the bench. we dont have the luxury to do that with the 4th pick in the draft.

the honeymoon is over for JD. he has to win games this year. and he knows it too otherwise he wouldn't have try to get Hill. he cant have the 4th pick sit on the bench all year and then start in 2023 cause if he wins 4 games again JD wont be here for 2023.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Heard a pretty interesting interview with Brandon Thorn, whose thing is OL, and he was not high on Penning at all. Said he had all the tools, etc, but was a mess from a technique standpoint. FWIW

This draft is nuts. Other than Sauce Gardner, I haven’t heard any prospect who  has basically gotten clean reviews. Just a crazy year. The Ravens have like 7 picks in the 3rd and 4th, or 4th and 5th, I think. This is the type of draft where they will clean up. We saw it in our JN mock. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

That is not remotely the same thing, though.

1. Becton being there is voluntary. I take it your work wasn't?

2. Becton is not being paid any extra for being present, i.e. has no financial incentive to be there. I assume, with a baby on the way and the monumental future cost that incurs, earning every dollar you could was important, no?

Honest question: if your boss gave you a voluntary assignment that took you out of town, away from your pregnant wife, and didn't pay you a dime, would you go?*

*inb4 obligatory Al Bundy "Hell, yeah, getting away from my wife is payment enough" joke.

1. I split my time between my own business and an organization.  In the former I make my own schedule, in the latter, I have plenty of PTO if I felt I needed to be there.

2. Financial incentive is long term.  While he may not be making money for that moment, it all adds into a decision of "are we going to pay this guy."  I do plenty of 'free consultations' in the hope of attracting business.  I also give regular clients additional time that I'm unpaid for when need arrises.  And yes, it was important to make money leading up to having kids, and still today.  But, I'm fortunate/successful enough, that a week or so isn't going to make or break my families future.

Honest Answer: If my whole team were going, I'd go, especially if I knew that my boss would fly me home at a moment's notice, should the need arise.  Because I'd know that when it came time for promotions/raises (option year/long term deal) that I'd like to be remembered as a hard worker and a team guy - not the guy that stayed home.

  • Upvote 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

That is not remotely the same thing, though.

1. Becton being there is voluntary. I take it your work wasn't?

2. Becton is not being paid any extra for being present, i.e. has no financial incentive to be there. I assume, with a baby on the way and the monumental future cost that incurs, earning every dollar you could was important, no?

Honest question: if your boss gave you a voluntary assignment that took you out of town, away from your pregnant wife, and didn't pay you a dime, would you go?*

*inb4 obligatory Al Bundy "Hell, yeah, getting away from my wife is payment enough" joke.

If my performing well meant I could sign a contract 18 months later worth north of 100 million dollars, I'm on that plane, yes.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

He is the former 11th overally pick who showed up to camp out of shape and then effectively opted out of playing football last season. If the hope was that he’s show some contrition or maturity, not showing up yesterday likely dashed those hopes. He hasn’t earned the benefit of the doubt here, at all.

It's funny, this has been the narrative all along, and I've looked for confirmation, but I couldn't find it last year, and I can't find it now.

All I've found are articles stating he was around 360 in 2021, an ESPN article saying he showed up at "his target weight", an article mentioning Becton admitted to being 370 his rookie year (which shows he did in fact get in shape in 2021 if he was at 360), and there was that video last July that showed him looking visibly leaner.

The only negative report was from Lafleur who said he was "dealing with things" that everyone just assumed meant weight issues, even though Saleh disputed that.

I'm not saying that the dude doesn't have a history weight issues, but I'm just not seeing any evidence to suggest that he showed up to camp last year out of shape.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

1. I split my time between my own business and an organization.  In the former I make my own schedule, in the latter, I have plenty of PTO if I felt I needed to be there.

2. Financial incentive is long term.  While he may not be making money for that moment, it all adds into a decision of "are we going to pay this guy."  I do plenty of 'free consultations' in the hope of attracting business.  I also give regular clients additional time that I'm unpaid for when need arrises.  And yes, it was important to make money leading up to having kids, and still today.  But, I'm fortunate/successful enough, that a week or so isn't going to make or break my families future.

Honest Answer: If my whole team were going, I'd go, especially if I knew that my boss would fly me home at a moment's notice, should the need arise.  Because I'd know that when it came time for promotions/raises (option year/long term deal) that I'd like to be remembered as a hard worker and a team guy - not the guy that stayed home.

This is a thoughtful and well-reasoned response. I can't argue with that.

I'm just not going to knock the kid for missing voluntary workouts, as I don't think it holds quite the weight that we're attributing to it, and yes, I understand his history here. Personally, I'm more concerned with OTAs. If he either A) doesn't show then, or b) shows up out of shape, then I'll get my pitchfork out.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, chirorob said:

If my performing well meant I could sign a contract 18 months later worth north of 100 million dollars, I'm on that plane, yes.

If Becton shows up to training camp in good shape, and goes on to have a dominant season, I don't think the JD and Saleh are going to care about him missing voluntary workouts.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

I’m not smart enough to project who’s gonna be the best tackle or best receiver or edge or whatever but I would like to see those positions addressed. I think there’s 0 downside to selecting an OT at 4 or 10. You can’t go wrong with protecting your QB, just like you can’t go wrong with a pass rusher. I just hope they pick the right ones. 

 

i'm not sure if it qualifies as "downside" or "going wrong", but there are questions about allocating too many resources to the OL to the detriment of other positions of need.  between becton, fant, AVT and tomlinson, that's a lot already invested in the line.

now this doesn't mean they shouldn't address OT in the draft.  just not sure using a premier pick (4 or 10) when there are bigger needs elsewhere is the best allocation of valuable resources.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tranquilo said:

I’m not smart enough to project who’s gonna be the best tackle or best receiver or edge or whatever but I would like to see those positions addressed. I think there’s 0 downside to selecting an OT at 4 or 10. You can’t go wrong with protecting your QB, just like you can’t go wrong with a pass rusher. I just hope they pick the right ones. 

I’m not smart enough to project who’s gonna be the best qb or best receiver or edge or whatever but I would like to see those positions addressed. I think there’s 0 downside to selecting an QB at 4 or 10. You can’t go wrong with finding your QB, just like you can’t go wrong with a pass rusher. I just hope they pick the right ones. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Te problem is it’s not a huge improvement to the team like we’d see at edge or wr.

I’ve never been a fan of taking the safest pick with the (presumed) highest floor, irrespective of actual need. That’s a Maccagnan philosophy; the move of a scout who’s concerned more with his own personal hit/miss rate than moves that’d noticeably improve the team if they do hit.

The only way he makes sense is if neither Fant nor Becton is in the team’s plans for at least the next couple years. Otherwise, since both our tackles already project to LT, and each has demonstrated superbowl-adequate prowess at it, we’d be over-drafting to effectively fill the RT position, and in the short term (perhaps the entire upcoming season) we’d be downgrading at LT in pass protection in what’s supposed to be a “no excuses” year for Wilson (and probably downgrading at RT, too, since Fant projects more poorly to the right side). The last thing we should be doing is giving Wilson another valid excuse for under-performing just so a rookie LT can learn on the job.

The goal of the OL is ultimately to not hold back the offensive playmakers; not to hide the team not having them. There’s no magical OL that’s going to afford Wilson an average of 4 seconds in the pocket no matter who we draft, and the pursuit of that goal is folly. Neither Super Bowl team had an elite OL (Cin’s was objectively below average, and was decidedly worse than the line the Jets have right now, and got to where they did by ignoring the “no brainer” move to draft another LT). These teams had QBs who delivered the ball to serious playmakers, and put serious pressure on opposing QBs.

A #4 pick tackle should be to replace a stopgap scrub, to immediately be the team’s badly-needed starting tackle. A tackle for the future is found after round 1, not inside the top 5; that’s exclusively for current holes (unless you’re talking QBs). The team has holes at edge, wr, lb, and is treading water with at least one stopgap db (probably two) that could use upgrading.

Barring the team deciding they’re done with Becton even if they don’t take a tackle in round 1, they should draft a tackle in round 3 or 4 to groom for starting in ‘23 or ‘24, and sign another veteran tackle for a few million who’s capable of starting half a season if needed; then use the #4 pick to upgrade an actual hole, or move down to add another 1st in ‘23 in case they do need to rethink QB.

Draft Ekwonu at #4 and not only might the team be merely marginally better this year, but it might even be worse: 

I don’t think anyone’s considering the realistic possibility that a not-elite pass blocking rookie in the first place, playing in a new scheme in the hot seat on the line, he gives up 7-10 sacks, an even greater number of QB hits, plus another 50+ pressures/hurries, and a number of drive-killing penalties in between. All they see is upside, and a presumption that he’ll step in and instantly play like a veteran all-pro. In your post you’re one of a rare few (in favor of picking him) who acknowledges there even might be an extended learning curve that lasts at least this season. But if the team could weather the season with a rookie LT allowing excess sacks, hits, and pressure on its young QB, then that inadvertently argues that result is not the season-killer we’d be subjected to in his absence.

TL;DR but in my defense I feel like I lasted longer than Becton did in 2021. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Te problem is it’s not a huge improvement to the team like we’d see at edge or wr.

I’ve never been a fan of taking the safest pick with the (presumed) highest floor, irrespective of actual need. That’s a Maccagnan philosophy; the move of a scout who’s concerned more with his own personal hit/miss rate than moves that’d noticeably improve the team if they do hit.

The only way he makes sense is if neither Fant nor Becton is in the team’s plans for at least the next couple years. Otherwise, since both our tackles already project to LT, and each has demonstrated superbowl-adequate prowess at it, we’d be over-drafting to effectively fill the RT position, and in the short term (perhaps the entire upcoming season) we’d be downgrading at LT in pass protection in what’s supposed to be a “no excuses” year for Wilson (and probably downgrading at RT, too, since Fant projects more poorly to the right side). The last thing we should be doing is giving Wilson another valid excuse for under-performing just so a rookie LT can learn on the job.

The goal of the OL is ultimately to not hold back the offensive playmakers; not to hide the team not having them. There’s no magical OL that’s going to afford Wilson an average of 4 seconds in the pocket no matter who we draft, and the pursuit of that goal is folly. Neither Super Bowl team had an elite OL (Cin’s was objectively below average, and was decidedly worse than the line the Jets have right now, and got to where they did by ignoring the “no brainer” move to draft another LT). These teams had QBs who delivered the ball to serious playmakers, and put serious pressure on opposing QBs.

A #4 pick tackle should be to replace a stopgap scrub, to immediately be the team’s badly-needed starting tackle. A tackle for the future is found after round 1, not inside the top 5; that’s exclusively for current holes (unless you’re talking QBs). The team has holes at edge, wr, lb, and is treading water with at least one stopgap db (probably two) that could use upgrading.

Barring the team deciding they’re done with Becton even if they don’t take a tackle in round 1, they should draft a tackle in round 3 or 4 to groom for starting in ‘23 or ‘24, and sign another veteran tackle for a few million who’s capable of starting half a season if needed; then use the #4 pick to upgrade an actual hole, or move down to add another 1st in ‘23 in case they do need to rethink QB.

Draft Ekwonu at #4 and not only might the team be merely marginally better this year, but it might even be worse: 

I don’t think anyone’s considering the realistic possibility that a not-elite pass blocking rookie in the first place, playing in a new scheme in the hot seat on the line, he gives up 7-10 sacks, an even greater number of QB hits, plus another 50+ pressures/hurries, and a number of drive-killing penalties in between. All they see is upside, and a presumption that he’ll step in and instantly play like a veteran all-pro. In your post you’re one of a rare few (in favor of picking him) who acknowledges there even might be an extended learning curve that lasts at least this season. But if the team could weather the season with a rookie LT allowing excess sacks, hits, and pressure on its young QB, then that inadvertently argues that result is not the season-killer we’d be subjected to in his absence.

Good Write up. What worries me is why we let Moses walk, not for the long term but for short term stability while our QB tries to get it right. If Becton goes down yet again then what ? If we don't address LT or RT in the draft we are back to the streets to fill those voids and that can't be good on any team especially one with a young QB still learning the ropes.

Letting Moses walk was a mistake IMHO on 2 levels 1. the Competition for Becton. And 2. The better stability. I'm not sure it would have been so terrible to offer Moses a three year deal similar to what Baltimore gave him then in year 2 of that contract bring in a future replacement via the draft to play behind Moses and learn. Its not often the Jets bring up players into the starting lineup who have been practicing in the back up role. Steelers do that regularly and it was also a game plan of Parcells and its much better than plugging in a first year player who has to both learn the NFL and the Current scheme.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

This is a thoughtful and well-reasoned response. I can't argue with that.

I'm just not going to knock the kid for missing voluntary workouts, as I don't think it holds quite the weight that we're attributing to it, and yes, I understand his history here. Personally, I'm more concerned with OTAs. If he either A) doesn't show then, or b) shows up out of shape, then I'll get my pitchfork out.

As I said much earlier in the thread, it's not the player missing the voluntary workout that I think is a bad look.  It's the player who's availability, durability, fitness, talent, and perhaps most of all, motivation are all a big question mark right now.  And, calling them question marks is probably generous.

If Becton were clearly, to use Saleh's term, a "guy who loves ball" and not one "who loves what ball can do for them," this wouldn't even be a blip.  But come on, if before yesterday I were to say, "name the one player most likely to skip voluntary workouts," be honest, who would you have named?

  • Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Some guys you have to cut bait and get value before you get none.  Whether it’s injury or conditioning, i get the feeling becton is going to be a week to week drama even when he plays. Even within games he’s gassed and has to come out.  It’s questionable that his weight and conditioning will ever get to the point where it’s not a concern.  So i do think ekongwu is a viable option at 4, and then flipping becton for as much draft capital as you can get and build the line with ekongwu and get rid of the drama. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I’m not smart enough to project who’s gonna be the best qb or best receiver or edge or whatever but I would like to see those positions addressed. I think there’s 0 downside to selecting an QB at 4 or 10. You can’t go wrong with finding your QB, just like you can’t go wrong with a pass rusher. I just hope they pick the right ones. 

So you consider Fant and Becton franchise tackles? Cool. I don’t. Zach Wilson has had one year and if he sucks next year, I would select another QB.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

As I said much earlier in the thread, it's not the player missing the voluntary workout that I think is a bad look.  It's the player who's availability, durability, fitness, talent, and perhaps most of all, motivation are all a big question mark right now.  And, calling them question marks is probably generous.

If Becton were clearly, to use Saleh's term, a "guy who loves ball" and not one "who loves what ball can do for them," this wouldn't even be a blip.  But come on, if before yesterday I were to say, "name the one player most likely to skip voluntary workouts," be honest, who would you have named?

@The Crusher

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone likes to mention the Bengals as if they’re the rule and not the exception. And everyone likes to mention the Rams because they don’t have a tackle that was drafted in the first round but which receiver did they draft in the first round? There’s many ways to go about this, and with a young QB, I think you should always address protection. That doesn’t mean we shouldn’t draft a receiver with one of the next two picks or one of the first three picks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Tranquilo said:

So you consider Fant and Becton franchise tackles? Cool. I don’t know. Zach Wilson has had one year and if he sucks next year, I wouldn’t mind selecting another QB. 

The point is you can say what you're saying about any position. That doesn't mean we should repeatedly dump 1st round picks into whatever position you feel is most important. We have 2 solid tackles. 

The only way it makes sense to draft another 1st round tackle in 2022 is if they trade Becton or Fant. Otherwise they're just mismanaging resources IMO.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Good Write up. What worries me is why we let Moses walk, not for the long term but for short term stability while our QB tries to get it right. If Becton goes down yet again then what ? If we don't address LT or RT in the draft we are back to the streets to fill those voids and that can't be good on any team especially one with a young QB still learning the ropes.

Letting Moses walk was a mistake IMHO on 2 levels 1. the Competition for Becton. And 2. The better stability. I'm not sure it would have been so terrible to offer Moses a three year deal similar to what Baltimore gave him then in year 2 of that contract bring in a future replacement via the draft to play behind Moses and learn. Its not often the Jets bring up players into the starting lineup who have been practicing in the back up role. Steelers do that regularly and it was also a game plan of Parcells and its much better than plugging in a first year player who has to both learn the NFL and the Current scheme.

Morgan Moses was found on the streets in July.

Personally, I wanted Moses back, but either 1) he preferred to go to Baltimore to start or 2) JD is higher on Becton than we are.

Ftr, I, too, would like an OT in this draft. Just not in the 1st 2 rounds, unless they're trading Becton. Even then, ehhhh.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The point is you can say what you're saying about any position. That doesn't mean we should repeatedly dump 1st round picks into whatever position you feel is most important. We have 2 solid tackles. 

The only way it makes sense to draft another 1st round tackle in 2022 is if they trade Becton or Fant. Otherwise they're just mismanaging resources IMO.

No you can’t. Some positions have more value than others. And we disagree on the reliability of Becton and Fant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Can we agree QB is more important than LT? Is QB off the board at 4 & 10?

For this year it is off the board because Zach should get one more year. I don’t feel the same way about Becton and Fant. On top of that, Ikem is a strong prospect and there are no good QB prospects. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Tranquilo said:

For this year it is because Zach should get one more year. I don’t feel the same way about Becton and Fant. On top of that, Ike is a strong prospect and there are no good QB prospects. 

If you're giving up on Becton and can get good value in a trade, fine, draft another LT.

If the Jets are planning on trading Becton they have a weird way of managing his trade value. It would have been very easy for JD to grease the skids in that presser by referencing the pregnancy and then having his media mouthpiece do the same. Maybe he's just a dolt and acting emotionally, but I don't think he his.

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...