Jets Fans: Please STOP the Zach Wilson HATE

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Are you calling me stupid

No.  I can honestly tell you Fid, I do not think you're stupid.

Stubborn and deeply biased about player above team, perhaps.  But not stupid.

because I believe there are some fan's need to be right, outweigh their love of team?

So name them.  And link the post that proves this out.

I don't know you, so I don't know what bucket you fall into.  You seem like someone that would like to see Zach do well and will be excited when it happens.

He's our QB.  Of course I want him to do well for as long as he is OUR QB.  

And if he doesn't do well or shows he is unlikely to do well in the future, then I want him gone, asap, to get a better QB here, because THAT would be best for the JETS.  

Team > Player, always.  

I may think Zach is the worst QB in human history (I don't think that, for the record, lol) and I'd STILL want him to do well when he is OUR QB on Sundays.

That is my point, these are two separate and distinct concepts.  Evaluation of a Player vs. Fandom for that Player While Playing for Us.

I have screamed my guts out for guys I thought sucked donkey balls, or I thought were sh*t human beings:  Because they were Jets at that time on gameday. 

What too many folks cannot seem to separate is those two distinct concepts.  I do not have to fall in dreamy-eyed love with a human being, or think he's the bestest bestest ever to root for him to do well while wearing Jets green on Sundays.

Your complaint isn't that people are actually rooting for Zach to fail, because no Jets fan actually does that. 

Your complaint is that not enough people profess their undying love and unending faith, fanbgirl style, for Zach, and think he's the bestest QB ever or will be soon.  

I'm sorry, but gloating or taking pleasure is your QB's failing isn't the sign of a fan.

Link the post where someone is "gloating about Zach's failure" in a way that says the weren't rooting for Zach to play well during the game.

You are familiar with disappointment and the ways human beings cope with it, right?  

Again, if someone mocks a Zach fanboi for being wrong about Zach after Zach sh*ts the bed, that doesn't mean they wanted Zach to fail in the game.  It means they're coping, poorly, with the after-effect of that failure.

I am not unbiased when it comes to Zach Wilson....

Well duh, obviously.  Lol.

....just determined to call out all the BS when it happens and I will continue to do so.   I have no issues with legitimate criticism.  

You're not the arbiter of what criticism is legitimate or what constitutes Jetsfandom.  Neither am I.  Neither of us should lay claim to telling other fans what kind of fan they are.

This is one of those things that only ever happens on the internet as well, because if you told some oldschool long-suffering diehard Jets fan he was a sh*t fan in the parking lot at the stadium because he "wanted Zach to fail" for grumbling about him after a loss, your jaw wouldn't stay in place for very long. 

Complaints like that only live in the distant anonymity of the web.

But I have no doubt there are more than handful of people that are more committed to Zach failing than the team winning.

So name them and link the posts. 

Till then, nothing but hot air IMO, the usual personality-cult driven nonsense of fans who hate it that other fans don't love their beloved guy as much as they do.

Seen it for every QB, Pennington Fans did it a ton back in the day, Sanchez Fans, even Geno Fans, Sammyboy Fans, now Zach Fans.  Like clockwork.

There's nothing you can do that's going to change my mind..

And there is nothing you can do or say that gives you the right to judge another mans Fandom.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Warfish said:

And if he doesn't do well or shows he is unlikely to do well in the future, then I want him gone, asap, to get a better QB here, because THAT would be best for the JETS.  

Team > Player, always.  

I may think Zach is the worst QB in human history (I don't think that, for the record, lol) and I'd STILL want him to do well when he is OUR QB on Sundays.

That is my point, these are two separate and distinct concepts.  Evaluation of a Player vs. Fandom for that Player While Playing for Us.

I have screamed my guts out for guys I thought sucked donkey balls, or I thought were sh*t human beings:  Because they were Jets at that time on gameday. 

What too many folks cannot seem to separate is those two distinct concepts.  I do not have to fall in dreamy-eyed love with a human being, or think he's the bestest bestest ever to root for him to do well while wearing Jets green on Sundays.

Your complaint isn't that people are actually rooting for Zach to fail, because no Jets fan actually does that. 

Your complaint is that not enough people profess their undying love and unending faith, fanbgirl style, for Zach, and think he's the bestest QB ever or will be soon.  

Link the post where someone is "gloating about Zach's failure" in a way that says the weren't rooting for Zach to play well during the game.

You are familiar with disappointment and the ways human beings cope with it, right?  

Again, if someone mocks a Zach fanboi for being wrong about Zach after Zach sh*ts the bed, that doesn't mean they wanted Zach to fail in the game.  It means they're coping, poorly, with the after-effect of that failure.

You're not the arbiter of what criticism is legitimate or what constitutes Jetsfandom.  Neither am I.  Neither of us should lay claim to telling other fans what kind of fan they are.

This is one of those things that only ever happens on the internet as well, because if you told some oldschool long-suffering diehard Jets fan he was a sh*t fan in the parking lot at the stadium because he "wanted Zach to fail" for grumbling about him after a loss, your jaw wouldn't stay in place for very long. 

Till then, nothing but hot air IMO, the usual personality-cult driven nonsense of fans who hate it that other fans don't love their beloved guy as much as they do.

Seen it for every QB, Pennington Fans did it a ton back in the day, Sanchez Fans, even Geno Fans, Sammyboy Fans, now Zach Fans.  Like clockwork.

And there is nothing you can do or say that gives you the right to judge another mans Fandom.

Honestly, thank you for the thoughtful replay as always...

I'm NOT telling anyone how to be a fan. .  If a fan wants to root against their QB.  If someone wants to take pleasure in the failure of the teams QB -  fine by me.  I don't it's being a good fan and a rather odd take, but go for it.  And I would happily tell anyone that to their face.

I'm not out here calling anyone a bad fan.  To be clear, I don't think you are - and also believe you would be very happy to see Zach succeed.  Most of the anti-zach crowd will be very happy to see him succeed.

All I've tried to state here is, I believe there are more than handful (not most)  of fans whose need to be right is outweighing their desire to see this team win.  You don't see that and that's fine.

You can take that for what it is and I'm going to leave it at that.

• Upvote 3

Forums need a feature that like tracks your level of confidence in a player like week to week or month to month so we can look at people's support for players in the past. I'd be curious how many of the people believed in Darnold and for how long before I asses their arguments on a player.. and their overall sanity. 

• Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Honestly, thank you for the thoughtful replay as always...

You're welcome.  And to stress, I do not think you're stupid.

29 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I'm NOT telling anyone how to be a fan. .  If a fan wants to root against their QB.  If someone wants to take pleasure in the failure of the teams QB -  fine by me.  I don't it's being a good fan and a rather odd take, but go for it.  And I would happily tell anyone that to their face.

I'm not out here calling anyone a bad fan.  To be clear, I don't think you are - and also believe you would be very happy to see Zach succeed.  Most of the anti-zach crowd will be very happy to see him succeed.

All I've tried to state here is, I believe there are more than handful (not most)  of fans whose need to be right is outweighing their desire to see this team win.  You don't see that and that's fine.

You can take that for what it is and I'm going to leave it at that.

Fair enough.

I'll continue to stress that these is a difference between rooting/hopes (I root for and deeply hope Zach proves my doubts wrong and becomes a franchise QB for our Jets) and evaluation/criticism/cynicism/"being right on the internet" (I doubted Zach should be the pick during that draft leadup, he played poorly in year one producing the worst QB rating in the NFL, and I feel so far I've been right in my core criticisms during the draft, that he was an unready, potentially injury-prone small-school kid unprepared for the big show at that time).  

Nothing about these two things are mutually exclusive.  

I'll put it another way, then I'll also leave it at that

If your lifelong 3-pack a day smoker wife starts having a horrible cough and spits up blood, you're going to root like hell that it's not lung cancer.  

But you're going to worry that it is in fact cancer.  And the more supporting facts that indicate it IS cancer will make you worry more that it's cancer.

You're also going to think about how you told her almost every day to quit the damn smoking, because of the risks ffs, and feel (horribly) that you were right all along in doing so. 

You won't be happy doing it, but you'll do it. 

You're not rooting against your wife.  You're not rooting for cancer.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

Forums need a feature that like tracks your level of confidence in a player like week to week or month to month so we can look at people's support for players in the past. I'd be curious how many of the people believed in Darnold and for how long before I asses their arguments on a player.. and their overall sanity. 

I would like this feature.

As for Sam, I believed in him until his first game in year three.   I expected a huge jump and got turds.  That’s when the doubts fully crept in and was the beginning of him losing me.  

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I would like this feature.

As for Sam, I believed in him until his first game in year three.   I expected a huge jump and got turds.  That’s when the doubts fully crept in and was the beginning of him losing me.  

I thought Sam sucked in college and would bust comically bad.  I was wrong. 

Sam had a nice rookie year and a fine enough second season.   But he didn't progress.   That’s the issue.  

I think all fans want to see wilson lead us to numerous championships. I dont think anybody wants to see him fail. I have been VERY critical of Joe as a gm but I want him to succeed. I take no pleasure in seeing guys like Becton or Mimsy fail.  A person can be critical of moves that dont pan out though especially in the wirfs becton scenario and not be a troll. 

As a fan I just want to see a winning team or even one that is competitive or entertaining and if that happens I will crown joe and sing his praises but another 2-4 win team and I will bash Joe-not because I hate him but his job is to get us wins

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Team > Player, always.  

There are many posters on this board who don't like Wilson, JD, and/or Saleh and are obviously rooting against them because they would rather get the few minutes of pleasure in self proclaiming themselves as experts and being "right" over potentially years of football success for the Jets.  It solves nothing to name posters.  Just look at thread after thread about how JD is not a good GM when nothing has happened to warrant a new thread.  Just look at the number of threads or posts about the Jets record the past 2-3 years or when a player signs with another team.  And look at the number of threads or posts that bash Wilson. Nothing has changed for Wilson since the first week of January.  The story of 2022 and whether he improves or not will not be told until late 2022.  What is gained by restating last year's stats ?  Let's wait and see. Same with Becton. Before we write him off, let's see what happens this weekend and then in August.  Nobody knows. It gets old reading the same crap day after day by the "I want to be right about the Jets being bad/wrong/not rebuilding correctly/darksider crowd

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

There are many posters on this board who don't like Wilson, JD, and/or Saleh and are obviously rooting against them because they would rather get the few minutes of pleasure in self proclaiming themselves as experts and being "right" over potentially years of football success for the Jets.

tumblr_p9xphfDaby1wxwjebo1_640.gifv

It solves nothing to name posters.

Because you can't.

Just look at thread after thread about how JD is not a good GM when nothing has happened to warrant a new thread.

Every conceivable topic gets 100 threads. 

Again, welcome to the internet, glad you've decided to join the rest of us online.

Just look at the number of threads or posts about the Jets record the past 2-3 years or when a player signs with another team.

Wait, so fans talk about things, and even second guess things, on a football fan forum no less, when their team goes 2-14 and 4-13?

Amazing, who could have foreseen that? 

And look at the number of threads or posts that bash Wilson. Nothing has changed for Wilson since the rest week of January.  The story of 2022 and whether he improves or not will not be told until late 2022.

Then why are YOU here, talking about Wilson?  You seem to be of a mindset that no one should talk about him till the end of 2022, so what are you breaking your own wish and talking about him?  Guess we'll see you at the end of 2022, when you're ready to talk about Wilson.  

What is gained by restating last year's stats ?

Anything from insight to simple passing of time.

Let's wait and see.

Do we have a choice?

Same with Becton. Before we write him off, let's see what happens this weekend and then in August.  Nobody knows. It gets old reading the same crap day after day by the "I want to be right about the Jets being bad/wrong/not rebuilding correctly/darksider crowd

Simple solution, don't read the forum or open threads with JWWS-offensive titles if you don't like what's being written.  

Problem solved.  For you and us.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jetty said:

Sam Darnold looked better as a rookie, and now we know he is terrible.

Zach is a bust until he proves otherwise.

Interesting.

Lets test the OP theory here:

1. Are your rooting AGAINST Zach Wilson on Sundays?  

2. Would you rather be right that Zach Wilson is a bust, or see the Zach-led Jets win a Super Bowl?

Yes or no questions.  Thanks in advance.

10 minutes ago, Warfish said:

tumblr_p9xphfDaby1wxwjebo1_640.gifv

Because you can't.

That’s not really 100% true.  I could find multiple posts from several that look bad - like in that moment it’s tough to see those post other than enjoying Wilson struggling.

But if you followed the same posters over time I agree that you would see they want Wilson to succeed.

Part of the fun being around fully invested people. Nobody should be held to game day posts or even some game week posts lol.  

• Upvote 1