Jermaine Johnson to the Jets at 4 buzz

Matt39

3 minutes ago, Mark78 said:

1-Pickett

2-Willis

3-Corral

At pick 4, the NY Jets select Aidan Hutchinson

lmao

That’s not happening but I’ve seen drafts turn like that when they were predicting these X guys definitely going first, but I’ve also see the draft go chalk it’s why we all watch.

21 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Totally possible. The inside chatter i got was a week ago, and was itself probably dated a week before that...

but I can't lend credence to anything Connor says, not at this time of year. Much as been made about his "inside scoops" but when you boil it down, it seems more likely that he is given what the Jets want him to know, or will allow him to - anyway. They have to give someone, something. He seems like the kind of knobbler that will jump when you say jump... or, leak smoke screens you want him to leak. 

Better to control the narrative, than to not. 

Yeah, I don’t want to doubt anyone’s sourcing—at this time of year especially—but I can’t imagine that there’s any ultra-reliable fount of information coming from Joe Douglas’s desk to anyone’s DMs. And as much as Hughes (etc) might be beholden to the Jets for that information, I still can’t see how saying the Jets are out on Thibodeaux serves anyone tactically. So far, every team in the top five has gone out of their way to say they’re out on Thibodeaux. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

Douglas may have been used, but it’s pretty clear that he wanted hill on the roster. 

also, when did the Jets “assert” that  they wouldn’t let Watson play for them? 

Coincidentally, Hughes had it in his podcast that Chris Johnson wouldn’t allow the Jets to pursue any player with Watson’s character concerns.

26 minutes ago, Mark78 said:

Umm….JD did indeed want Tyreek here. Don’t think anyone can deny that.

What if JD was doing Rosenhaus a favor for helping him bring back Berrios? There was less than a zero percent chance Hill wasn’t going to Miami. The Jets provided both Rosenhaus and the Chiefs the leverage they needed to close that deal.

• WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Coincidentally, Hughes had it in his podcast that Chris Johnson wouldn’t allow the Jets to pursue any player with Watson’s character concerns.

Connor has a lot of things in his podcast, and in this case, I’m inclined to believe it because I think a number of other teams had a similar stance. 

While there may not be a moral difference between Watson and Hill (IMO), I think there is a PR difference (and that’s what the Johnson’s really care about). Watson’s issues are fresh in everyone’s minds and the media has covered them a lot more fervently than I remember them ever covering Tyreek Hill. 

the other issue, of course, is that the jets just spent a number 2 overall pick on your favorite player. So Watson was never going to be a target here, regardless. It would have had to happen last January before the Watson saga started and certainly before the draft. 

I think woody very well may have pushed for it last winter, had the accusations not come to light. But I doubt Watson would have come here anyway because, realistically, why would he? 

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I don’t want to doubt anyone’s sourcing—at this time of year especially—but I can’t imagine that there’s any ultra-reliable fount of information coming from Joe Douglas’s desk to anyone’s DMs. And as much as Hughes (etc) might be beholden to the Jets for that information, I still can’t see how saying the Jets are out on Thibodeaux serves anyone tactically. So far, every team in the top five has gone out of their way to say they’re out on Thibodeaux. 

Yea there's no direct line to Joe's word, or at least not in the linear sense that people probably imagine... but you do get people involved in the protracted draft strategy who get a sense of what's happening.  Sometimes they even show their hand... Like, I will swear on other people's children that *ideally* Jets/Joe do NOT want to take a WR at #10... a trade back, or a trade up from #35 (or waiting) is plan A based purely on how many visits they had. 

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Paradis said:

Yea there's no direct line to Joe's word, or at least not in the linear sense that people probably imagine... but you do get people involved in the protracted draft strategy who get a sense of what's happening.  Sometimes they even show their hand... Like, I will swear on other people's children that *ideally* Jets/Joe do NOT want to take a WR at #10... a trade back, or a trade up from #35 (or waiting) is plan A based purely on how many visits they had. 

I think I prefer not taking the receiver at 10 because I don’t really like any of them for the Jets other than maybe Garrett Wilson. I wonder if they’re afraid of drafting London because London won’t give them a single 40 time.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It was just gross and hypocritical to pretend that they’re too high-class to bring in Watson and then to turn around and go after Hill. 

Oh sure. 

if that’s their stance, then absolutely.

The truth is, Douglas probably wouldn’t have gone near Hill two years ago. But we all know he is under serious pressure to win this year. Woody didn’t hire him and will 100% fire his ass if the team is 4-13 again, IMO 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think I prefer not taking the receiver at 10 because I don’t really like any of them for the Jets other than maybe Garrett Wilson. I wonder if they’re afraid of drafting London because London won’t give them a single 40 time.

@football guysays London is WR1, which I didn’t expect

I actually think London will be a good pro, but I hate that he didn’t run. Hate it  

9 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I think they agree with you. It’s why they’ve been they’ve been throwing their name into all the big name WR hats. Hard to see the BPA approach steering them towards a WR at 10. More likely maneuvering to get their guy later. 

7 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

He says he’s the jets top WR - says they love him 

He didn’t have a line on Elijah last year (none of us did) so not sure how and his agent pal got that nugget. They’ve shown the least interest in London out of the all the usual suspects. The only way that makes sense is if Joe and his scouting team were so unanimously settled on Drake that they moved on to preparing for plan B if ATL or whomever takes him. Find that a tough sell. 

FTR if we knew London’s “quickness” concerns were non-importanté, I would love to go all in on him. I love his Jimmy Graham game 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Paradis said:

He didn’t have a line on Elijah last year (none of us did) so not sure how and his agent pal got that nugget. They’ve shown the least interest in London out of the all the usual suspects. The only way that makes sense is if Joe and his scouting team were so unanimously settled on Drake that they moved on to preparing for plan B if ATL or whomever takes him. Find that a tough sell. 

That’s why I was surprised. 

I also figured they would be worried about the lack of YAC and breakaway speed in this offense 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Paradis said:

FTR if we knew London’s “quickness” concerns were non-importanté, I would love to go all in on him. I love his Jimmy Graham game 

Seems like we just don't have a lot of love for the WR class at the top.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

Yeah, I don’t want to doubt anyone’s sourcing—at this time of year especially—but I can’t imagine that there’s any ultra-reliable fount of information coming from Joe Douglas’s desk to anyone’s DMs.

Daniel Jeremiah and JD have like the same boards every year

the Becton and Wilson picks were both leaked well in advance. DJ had AVT as a top 15 blue chipper and so did JD

there's this "ANTI-MEDIA" sentiment all over Jets land but the beat writers aren't liars now that Mehta is gone and the Jets are not half as leakproof as people say they are.

There's 49ers coaching leaks there's JD's scout leaks through Philly and Baltimore, the team leaks like a sieve  

There's probably truth to the ranking of JJ over KT

what this tweet doesn't specify is whether the Jets were actually locked into edge at 4 

• Post of the Week 1

11 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Daniel Jeremiah and JD have like the same boards every year

the Becton and Wilson picks were both leaked well in advance. DJ had AVT as a top 15 blue chipper and so did JD

there's this "ANTI-MEDIA" sentiment all over Jets land but the beat writers aren't liars now that Mehta is gone and the Jets are not half as leakproof as people say they are.

There's 49ers coaching leaks there's JD's scout leaks through Philly and Baltimore, the team leaks like a sieve  

There's probably truth to the ranking of JJ over KT

what this tweet doesn't specify is whether the Jets were actually locked into edge at 4 

I don’t know man. 

the jets beat guys seem kinda lost to me sometimes. I’m not saying there are no leaks or that they are dishonest (Manish was), but there’s a lot of guessing going on there. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

It was just gross and hypocritical to pretend that they’re too high-class to bring in Watson and then to turn around and go after Hill. 

Except that's there's no proof anywhere that if we didn't commit a 2 on a QB the year before that they wouldn't have been in on Watson.  

Calling the team gross and hypocritical based on nothing factual 

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Except that's there's no proof anywhere that if we didn't commit a 2 on a QB the year before that they wouldn't have been in on Watson.  

Calling the team gross and hypocritical based on nothing factual 

Fair, from a broader perspective, I think people are a bit hypocritical in general about Watson 

What Watson is accused of doing is terrible,  but what tyreek hill did is also pretty terrible.  And 90% of us were ready to throw a party if Douglas pulled that off. And plenty of other guys around the league are living in glass houses. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

4 hours ago, T0mShane said:

The tackle+trade Becton for pick/s+swing pick for receiver. Wins all around

The only way I see JD going OT at #4 is if he has a deal structured in place to move Becton.  I just don't see Becton on this team if this is where JD and Saleh's heads are at...

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

I don’t know man. 

the jets beat guys seem kinda lost to me sometimes. I’m not saying there are no leaks or that they are dishonest (Manish was), but there’s a lot of guessing going on there. 

When people are presented with an idea or fact they do not agree with, the default is to attack the source. 

Meanwhile, these beat writers are mostly accurate. JJ was the best player at the Senior Bowl, the game Saleh coached its not unreasonable they like him more than KT, who is from all accounts a slug 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

When people are presented with an idea or fact they do not agree with, the default is to attack the source. 

Meanwhile, these beat writers are mostly accurate. JJ was the best player at the Senior Bowl, the game Saleh coached its not unreasonable they like him more than KT, who is from all accounts a slug 

They might like JJ more than KT. I buy it. A lot of people apparently do  

6 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

The only way I see JD going OT at #4 is if he has a deal structured in place to move Becton.  I just don't see Becton on this team if this is where JD and Saleh's heads are at...

Becton is completely unreliable and Fant (only average) needs a new deal. OT is a huge need, despite what certain posters maintain