Jermaine Johnson to the Jets at 4 buzz

Matt39

7 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I couldn't judge him ahead of or behind other edges, but if he's a legitimate 1st round edge rusher he'll have a bigger impact on improving this team than drafting a 3rd LT.

Pop quiz for the OT people.

One of the goals of this offseason is to move JFM back inside to DT.  If we don't draft an Edge, who would be our starter across from Lawson?  Who would be our first guy off the bench?

There is no way this team can ignore Edge in the 1st round.  You can argue WR vs. OT vs. CB all you want.  But Edge is a huge need.

• Upvote 4

I don't think the Jets take Kayvon, been saying it all offseason. I have heard from someone that seems to be pretty credible (still vetting unfortunately) that Kayvon and Ojabo had their names crossed off the Jets big board.

I really like Jermaine Johnson, saw him more at #10 but would be fine taking him at #4 if need be. I'm hoping for Sauce at 4 and JJ at 10.

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

You also probably have to factor in Becton and Mims being busts with many of the above concerns.

This is the part of it that keeps jumping out at it.  

I still can't believe they're going to pass on one of the best prospects in this draft because he wants market himself.

But - this whole Becton/Mims thing gives me pause on that.

• Upvote 1

I’m going to imagine that Saleh wants his version of Bosa, they’ve taken Thibodeaux entirely off of their board, and Johnson is the next guy up. At the end of the day, Douglas will end up taking Ekwonu and whatever EDGE is still around at 10 (or 38, etc). Karlaftis might be a better fit anyway. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m going to imagine that Saleh wants his version of Bosa, they’ve taken Thibodeaux entirely off of their board, and Johnson is the next guy up. At the end of the day, Douglas will end up taking Ekwonu and whatever EDGE is still around at 4. Karlaftis might be a better fit anyway. 

HA!

If JJ goes to the NYJ at 4 and the NYG get Thib….. he won’t have to worry about getting fired when that drunk mob at the draft party storms the NYJ’s draft war room

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, nycdan said:

Pop quiz for the OT people.

One of the goals of this offseason is to move JFM back inside to DT.  If we don't draft an Edge, who would be our starter across from Lawson?  Who would be our first guy off the bench?

There is no way this team can ignore Edge in the 1st round.  You can argue WR vs. OT vs. CB all you want.  But Edge is a huge need.

Edge is a need but Johnson at 4 is not the most optimum use of resources though. He could be there at 10, and if he isn't, trade down and take Karlaftis or trade up from 35 for Mafe/Ebiketie. All are comparable prospects. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

He's a mid first rounder for me at best. High floor/low ceiling type.  

Mediocre win rate, mediocre athleticism. I don't even see what people see in him. Are we just judging by college sacks? He's also a year older than Thibs!

There is just way to reconcile this if it happens. I'll be so high on the Douglas hate that I'm definitely getting banned by May. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I know he had a great Senior Bowl, 12 sacks (half of them coming in two games against Jacksonville State and an overmatched Miami tackle), good motor, and solid against the run, but he also ducked the important drills for pass rushers, had a low pass rush win rate, and is old. I do want an edge, guess the hope his he improved a lot technically late in the year and carried that over to the Senior Bowl. He strikes me kind of like Ekwonu, "safe" prospect who's got a lot of sneaky red flags for a guy being discussed at 4 overall.

• Upvote 4

15 hours ago, Matt39 said:

The skinny:

4. JERMAINE JOHNSON, Florida State (6-4 ½, 260, 4.62, 1): Subpar academics sent him to a junior college for two years. Started four of 24 games at Georgia in 2019-’20 before transferring for a final season in Tallahassee. “Started the year playing his way into third-round conversation and at the end played his way possibly into the first,” one scout said. “Not as explosive or as athletic as (Joe) Tryon or (Azeez) Ojulari, who played over him at Georgia. He can power off the edge. He’s got get-off and flattens down on the quarterback. He can create pressure looping outside when aligned as a 3-technique in sub packages. He can improve his edge rush by developing a counter move once engaged and using his hands better. Best as a 3-4 outside backer.” Several scouts mentioned his father, someone they regard as overly involved and an impediment. “He is a low-confidence know-it-all that’s been pushed by his dad his entire life,” one scout after an interview with Johnson. “I see him as a fake tough guy.” Finished with 106 tackles (26 for loss), 18 ½ sacks (12 at FSU), three forced fumbles and four passes defensed. Wonderlic of 15. Arms were 34. “The surprising thing was he was very good against the run,” a third scout said. “I almost thought he played the run better than he rushed the passer. He’s got exceptional hands and hand usage at the point of attack. That’s what grabbed me the most about him. The sacks came off hustle. He had some where he earned them going around the guy. He’s not a natural bend-the-corner right end but he’s good enough to do it … they called him ‘Hollywood.’ He’s a little arrogant. He’s probably hard to like at times. But he backed up everything he said he wanted to do, which is rare in this era.” From Eden Prairie, Minn.

Several scouts mentioned his father, someone they regard as overly involved and an impediment. “He is a low-confidence know-it-all that’s been pushed by his dad his entire life,” one scout after an interview with Johnson. “I see him as a fake tough guy.”

For those who talk about Thibs' "issues" 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

42 minutes ago, slats said:

Don’t love him but, if they do, I prefer it to any OL. 

I agree. I think they have to take a swing on an edge rusher. If they prefer Johnson I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt. If Thibs is there I wouldn’t pass on him personally. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Irish Jet said:

He's a mid first rounder for me at best.

Mediocre win rate, mediocre athleticism. I don't even see what people see in him. Are we just judging by college sacks? He's also a year older than Thibs!

There is just way to reconcile this if it happens. I'll be so high on the Douglas hate that I'm definitely getting banned by May. 

Justus Mosqueda, who does some really interesting stuff with EDGE measurables, really dislikes Jermaine Johnson, fwiw. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

If JJ is the guy, they need to do everything they can to trade back a few spots.  Carolina, Atlanta etc.  Im not a fan of JJ at 4.  But JJ at 6 or 8 and we get an extra pick, I am fine with that.

I’ll never understand this

If you’re good with Johnson at #6 then you should be good with him at #4.

There isn’t some standout blue chipper set to go in the Top 5 that teams will be chomping at the bit to trade up for.

The only big trade I can see in the 1st round is New Orleans moving up for a guy like Willis. And even then I don’t think they would move up into the Top 5.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

39 minutes ago, football guy said:

I think the decision will come down to Gardner or Ekwonu at #4, but what this tells us is that the Jets are expected to have Johnson rated higher than Thibodeaux on their final draft board. This isn't a huge shock to me. It's been rumored since the combine that Hutch, Walker, and Johnson would be ahead of Thibodeaux on their final draft board 

So if the first 3 picks are ekongwu, hutch and gardener, your best guess at 4 is now JJ?

16 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I’m going to imagine that Saleh wants his version of Bosa, they’ve taken Thibodeaux entirely off of their board, and Johnson is the next guy up. At the end of the day, Douglas will end up taking Ekwonu and whatever EDGE is still around at 10 (or 38, etc). Karlaftis might be a better fit anyway. 

I think they would take ekongwu over gardener at 4 and then take JJ at 10 b/c i think he’ll be there.

• Upvote 3