Jermaine Johnson to the Jets at 4 buzz

Matt39

The skinny:

4. JERMAINE JOHNSON, Florida State (6-4 ½, 260, 4.62, 1): Subpar academics sent him to a junior college for two years. Started four of 24 games at Georgia in 2019-’20 before transferring for a final season in Tallahassee. “Started the year playing his way into third-round conversation and at the end played his way possibly into the first,” one scout said. “Not as explosive or as athletic as (Joe) Tryon or (Azeez) Ojulari, who played over him at Georgia. He can power off the edge. He’s got get-off and flattens down on the quarterback. He can create pressure looping outside when aligned as a 3-technique in sub packages. He can improve his edge rush by developing a counter move once engaged and using his hands better. Best as a 3-4 outside backer.” Several scouts mentioned his father, someone they regard as overly involved and an impediment. “He is a low-confidence know-it-all that’s been pushed by his dad his entire life,” one scout after an interview with Johnson. “I see him as a fake tough guy.” Finished with 106 tackles (26 for loss), 18 ½ sacks (12 at FSU), three forced fumbles and four passes defensed. Wonderlic of 15. Arms were 34. “The surprising thing was he was very good against the run,” a third scout said. “I almost thought he played the run better than he rushed the passer. He’s got exceptional hands and hand usage at the point of attack. That’s what grabbed me the most about him. The sacks came off hustle. He had some where he earned them going around the guy. He’s not a natural bend-the-corner right end but he’s good enough to do it … they called him ‘Hollywood.’ He’s a little arrogant. He’s probably hard to like at times. But he backed up everything he said he wanted to do, which is rare in this era.” From Eden Prairie, Minn.

• Upvote 2

Just now, football guy said:

I think the decision will come down to Gardner or Ekwonu at #4, but what this tells us is that the Jets are expected to have Johnson rated higher than Thibodeaux on their final draft board. This isn't a huge shock to me. It's been rumored since the combine that Hutch, Walker, and Johnson would be ahead of Thibodeaux on their final draft board 

Any scenario where the Jets go back to back edge rushers at 4 and 10? Especially if Thibodeux drops?

10 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

For what it's worth, PFF and a few other sites has him around ~the overall #32 in this class.

Think we're talking the overall #32 at #4, if a semi-consensus top guy like Thibs or Sauce is still on the board?

A move like that sure better work out if you want to keep being an NFL GM. 

Because that feels like a heck of a reach at #4 overall. 

If that's the guy, JD likely needs to be on the phone with Philly and/or the Saints about a trade-down scenario.

1 minute ago, Matt39 said:

I dont think Thibodeux is a consensus top guy at all. The internet was always going to love him because he's outspoken and anti system.

Interesting.

I can't find a site that has Thibs not rated as the #2 or #3 edge.  Almost all have him as #2, and a top 5 pick.

Now, those are scouting, media and other non-GM sites, of course.

You think they're all wrong, and JJ is really the guy, and Thibs isn't?

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

The skinny:

4. JERMAINE JOHNSON, Florida State (6-4 ½, 260, 4.62, 1): Subpar academics sent him to a junior college for two years. Started four of 24 games at Georgia in 2019-’20 before transferring for a final season in Tallahassee. “Started the year playing his way into third-round conversation and at the end played his way possibly into the first,” one scout said. “Not as explosive or as athletic as (Joe) Tryon or (Azeez) Ojulari, who played over him at Georgia. He can power off the edge. He’s got get-off and flattens down on the quarterback. He can create pressure looping outside when aligned as a 3-technique in sub packages. He can improve his edge rush by developing a counter move once engaged and using his hands better. Best as a 3-4 outside backer.” Several scouts mentioned his father, someone they regard as overly involved and an impediment. “He is a low-confidence know-it-all that’s been pushed by his dad his entire life,” one scout after an interview with Johnson. “I see him as a fake tough guy.” Finished with 106 tackles (26 for loss), 18 ½ sacks (12 at FSU), three forced fumbles and four passes defensed. Wonderlic of 15. Arms were 34. “The surprising thing was he was very good against the run,” a third scout said. “I almost thought he played the run better than he rushed the passer. He’s got exceptional hands and hand usage at the point of attack. That’s what grabbed me the most about him. The sacks came off hustle. He had some where he earned them going around the guy. He’s not a natural bend-the-corner right end but he’s good enough to do it … they called him ‘Hollywood.’ He’s a little arrogant. He’s probably hard to like at times. But he backed up everything he said he wanted to do, which is rare in this era.” From Eden Prairie, Minn.

The bolded points all seem similar to what everyone is trying to sell us about KT, so why is JJ suddenly rising while KT is falling?

4 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Interesting.

I can't find a site that has Thibs not rated as the #2 or #3 edge.  Almost all have him as #2, and a top 5 pick.

Now, those are scouting, media and other non-GM sites, of course.

You think they're all wrong, and JJ is really the guy, and Thibs isn't?

Sites dont have access to the interviews etc. It's only one piece of the puzzle. If you've also been paying attention to the Ben Simmons saga, commitment to the game is going to be even more analyzed. There have been plenty of flags with Thibodeux...and these are the types of flags that teams consider way more than draft sites etc. One because they have to pay the player and two they have way more access. You also probably have to factor in Becton and Mims being busts with many of the above concerns.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, football guy said:

I think the decision will come down to Gardner or Ekwonu at #4, but what this tells us is that the Jets are expected to have Johnson rated higher than Thibodeaux on their final draft board. This isn't a huge shock to me. It's been rumored since the combine that Hutch, Walker, and Johnson would be ahead of Thibodeaux on their final draft board 

If you believe that.

I know a couple people who are plugged in and it's been KT, then IE for a while now. Of course that could be all intentional misdirection, but that narrative does exist in Jets HQ. ....I guess the takeaway is there's going to be someone at Edge who is priority #1, and then maybe Ekwonu. (I personally love Gardner)

FWIW: I think JJ is gaining an fan club for being a complete DE.... not necessarily because he's the next Von Miller. 

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

The bolded points all seem similar to what everyone is trying to sell us about KT, so why is JJ suddenly rising while KT is falling?

Would agree. Seem to be similar concerns. FSU played better competition and JJ had more sacks I guess.