Tannehill: It is not my job to mentor Malik Willis

1 hour ago, Irish Jet said:

You say this like it's a little league game.

These guys are under serious pressure, the amount of scrutiny QB's receive for winning and losing is way over the top as is the abuse they receive when things go badly. Tannehill has invested his life in this sport and after that game he's being ridiculed up and down the internet like he's a joke. All his genuinely good work gets completely overshadowed by a few mistakes. I can easily see why that would take a toll on someone's mental health.  

Lmao paid millions to play a child’s game 

Awww cry me a freaking river ?????

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Bungaman said:

His job is whatever the coaching staff, the GM and the owner says it is.

That being said, he could have been diplomatic and given the cliche answer, and then done basically what he wants to do anyway to keep his job safe. 

His job is safe as long as he's the best QB on the roster.   He wasn't hired to be a diplomat.  He saw first hand how the NFL works when Miami dumped him and watched TN dump Mariotta.  He didn't demand a trade, he didn't say he would undermine him.   Teams always use the Cliche were bringing in a QB to create competition.   What that really means is we don't believe in our starting QB or you've been great but we squeezed all the juice out of you.  

The reason Darnold was traded by the Jets before we drafted Zach is we didn't want a competition.  They believed in Zach.  If at any point they don't they will bring in "completion".   It's a cliche for we think you can't get it done.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tannehill is owed $38.6M this year and $36.6M in 2023.  I think he’ll be able to sleep just fine at night if people want to blame him for the struggles of a 3rd round pick.

Those are his cap numbers. He’s got $29M guaranteed this year, $27M scheduled with zero guarantees next year. That may be adding to his saltiness. Who wants to train their replacement only to get fired themselves? 

4 hours ago, Jet9 said:

You mean the mental midget that had to see a therapist and 'was in a dark place' over a football game and now doesn't want to help out his teammates and coworkers? Yeah not so sure about that one there, guy. He's a certified jackass. Also, you've been following me around like a meth head casing a plumbing truck. Do me a favor and get off my dick. K? K. Thanks. 

Going to see a therapist does not make one a mental midget in any way shape or form, no matter what your ignorant ass thinks.

Tannehill is right. Unless when he was hired he was hired to be a mentor when the time comes, he owes the new guy nothing. He was hired to win football games. If he wants to drop little nuggets for the new guy that’s fine, it’s the responsibility of the new guy to watch, ask questions, and learn. If Tannehill refuses to answer the guy’s questions, maybe that’s an issue, but this is professional sports not intramurals. 

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, GreenReaper said:

Oh I'm sure He'll give Malik a helping hand...

image.png.08c7171a6640c9e7e18d2b67bd3fe95d.png

I’m not so sure it’s Malik hanging by a tree branch…Tanne was awful last season. If he doesn’t want to help the kid, I’m sure JRob can find someone who can.

14 hours ago, Bronx said:

This has literally been Brady his last few Patriots' seasons.  I am not a Tanny fan, but he is right.  They are competing against each other.  If he picks something up, great.

1 hour ago, the Claw said:

Going to see a therapist does not make one a mental midget in any way shape or form, no matter what your ignorant ass thinks.

Tannehill is right. Unless when he was hired he was hired to be a mentor when the time comes, he owes the new guy nothing. He was hired to win football games. If he wants to drop little nuggets for the new guy that’s fine, it’s the responsibility of the new guy to watch, ask questions, and learn. If Tannehill refuses to answer the guy’s questions, maybe that’s an issue, but this is professional sports not intramurals. 

Cool. Next tell me how he's a 'warrior' who 'goes to battle' every Sunday. BTW, not everyone who claims to have a mental issue actually has a mental issue, you gullible dweeb. 

2 hours ago, Irish Jet said:

Because that's how mental health works. ?

You say you're cynical to all the mental health claims these days yet you're eating this up like Jetsfan80 going through my junk mail. Pick a lane. Not everyone is a victim, you know. Some people are just assholes. 

You don't have to want to be a mentor to actually be one. If Malik asks questions I'm sure Tannehill will answer the questions. Also, Malik will se how Tannehill handles himself when it comes to watching Video, discussing plays in the QB Room and how he practices, so in reality Tannehill will be a mentor by default if Malik wants to learn from him.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

16 hours ago, Bronx said:

When you go into work today, and your boss wants you to help groom your newly hired replacement, are you going to feel any different?

These are multi-million dollar positions, and only a few come free each year. Vets aren’t going to help a guy take that from them.

Coaches coach, players play.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Do you think the other young vets are helping rookies take their job?

I’m not necessarily against how hes thinking, but putting it out there publicly like that when the whole concept of non-solo sport is teamwork and working together for a collective goal greater than individual.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m not necessarily against how hes thinking, but putting it out there publicly like that when the whole concept of non-solo sport is teamwork and working together for a collective goal greater than individual.

Yeah I’d say he definitely could’ve answered the question differently.

It is what it is though, maybe he’s just really pissed and doesn’t give an eff what the team feels about it.

On the other hand… We fans get annoyed when players or coaches avoid giving a straight answer all the time, yet on the rare occasion when they do, they’re “not team players”.

57 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

You don't have to want to be a mentor to actually be one. If Malik asks questions I'm sure Tannehill will answer the questions. Also, Malik will se how Tannehill handles himself when it comes to watching Video, discussing plays in the QB Room and how he practices, so in reality Tannehill will be a mentor by default if Malik wants to learn from him.

This. ^^^^^

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

Not everyone is a victim, you know. Some people are just assholes. 

The most successful QB's tend to be a$$holes, yes.  The Jets draft "nice kids" who suck at the position, while Jets fans make a bunch of excuses for why they failed.

7 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Also, you've been following me around like a meth head casing a plumbing truck. Do me a favor and get off my dick. K? K. Thanks. 

When I see posts that are silly or wrong I'm gonna respond on occasion.  I don't give 2 f**ks about you specifically any more or less than any other average JN poster.  Deal with it, ya mental midget.  

much as tannehill was a punk when he played for the doltfins, it's not his job to help the guy who will possibly take his job.  i think favre said something similar about rodgers.  i remember todd saying that all namath did was show him the best bars in NY.  that's just the way it is.  i think even the washed up qb's like mccown don't do it unless they feel they have zero chance of starting.

• Sympathy 1

47 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

When I see posts that are silly or wrong I'm gonna respond on occasion.  I don't give 2 f**ks about you specifically any more or less than any other average JN poster.  Deal with it, ya mental midget.  

A lot of words for someone who doesn't give a ****. Way to prove my point, numbnuts.

2 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

When you go into work today, and your boss wants you to help groom your newly hired replacement, are you going to feel any different?

These are multi-million dollar positions, and only a few come free each year. Vets aren’t going to help a guy take that from them.

Coaches coach, players play.

Do I have enough money to set up my family for 5 generations and retire at age 35 from this job ?

14 hours ago, Integrity28 said:

He’s 100% valid.

Only fans of perennial losing franchises that never have a QB think it’s the responsibility of the current QB to ‘mentor’ the next guy. Then, when they don’t, the fans blame the previous guy for not mentoring well, not the sh*tty new QB for simply being trash.

Its a stupid cycle perpetuated by naive fans.

Wish he would have said something like, "When I'm here, I'm preparing to try and win a championship.  How much of that time are you hoping I'd sacrifice on that task, to mentor Malik Willis for the future?  Crickets?  Okay.  We have great coaches here who will do that.  I'm going to go back to trying to win a Super Bowl for the Titans and their fans."

• Sympathy 1

11 hours ago, Jet9 said:

Imagine he breaks his leg and then Willis sh*ts the bed. Fair or not, people will bring this quote up. He's an idiot. 

Idiot: The starting QB's job on a contender is not to mentor rookie QBs.

Not an Idiot: The 86th overall pick from Liberty University who is forced into duty in his rookie year and doesn't play well, has done so because of lack of mentorship from the starter.

Seems legit.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Idiot: The starting QB's job on a contender is not to mentor rookie QBs.

Not an Idiot: The 86th overall pick from Liberty University who is forced into duty in his rookie year and doesn't play well, has done so because of lack of mentorship from the starter.

Seems legit.

'Fair or not' 

Can you people read, or what? Being willfully obtuse is a sh*t look, my guy. 

27 minutes ago, Larz said:

Do I have enough money to set up my family for 5 generations and retire at age 35 from this job ?

That depends on how talented you are and the field you chose doesn’t it?

Regardless, you don’t get to decide when he or anyone else decides to say “I’ve made enough money”.

Maybe I’m wrong though, do you get upset that people like Elon Musk or Warren Buffet continue what they’re doing, instead of training a 21 yo to do their jobs?

1 minute ago, Jet9 said:

'Fair or not' 

Can you people read, or what? Being willfully obtuse is a sh*t look, my guy. 

It's already clear that you think adding that qualifier makes your point not dumb.  But, I appreciate you reiterating it.

• Haha 1

I don't have any serious feeling about what he said. He's there as the presumed starter not a vet hanging around the end of his career looking for a reason for teams to keep paying him as a backup. He could have been more polite about his comments but whatever. He's known to be an ass. It is mildly humorous that he's such an ass to teammates but then goes on the church circuit giving speeches that presents a completely different persona.