Tannehill: It is not my job to mentor Malik Willis

1 hour ago, Bocajetfan said:

Can understand his reaction, years ago I was up for a promotion. Did not get the promotion. Was asked by members of upper management to take this person and teach them the ropes. My response was if I was not qualified for the position how am I qualified to mentor that person?

Sounds very similar to something that happened to my wife a few months ago.  She later quit her job now has a better one (similar to the one she was supposedly not qualified for) at another company for more money.  I told her the old adage, "the best revenge is living well."

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

He’s 100% valid.

Only fans of perennial losing franchises that never have a QB think it’s the responsibility of the current QB to ‘mentor’ the next guy. Then, when they don’t, the fans blame the previous guy for not mentoring well, not the sh*tty new QB for simply being trash.

Its a stupid cycle perpetuated by naive fans.

100% not valid. 

• Upvote 1

I agree with Tannehill.  Titans are in a different situation than a rebuilding team with a rookie QB. They have been to the playoffs the last 3 seasons with Tannehill.  His job is to try to get back there and help his team get to the Super Bowl.  In doing so, if he sets an example for Willis that helps him develop, that is a bonus.  Willis will have a coaching staff to mentor him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Terrible leader. What if Tannehill gets injured in like a playoff game and they need the rookie to step up? If I was a Titans fan, I'd be pissed. It just shows that Tannehill lacks confidence in his game, he's a meh QB anyway

• Sympathy 1

I think the problem with this is people have a different definition of what a mentor is....these guys are in meetings and on the practice field 100s of hours I'm sure if Wllis has questions there's tons of people including Tannehill who will be there to help but it's not his job to be his coach or his best friend who follows him around all day.

6 hours ago, slats said:

Lol, different scenario. Tannehill is being asked about someone who was drafted to take his rather lucrative job. I thought that answer was pretty fair. He’s my teammate, if he learns something from me, great! If there’s a little elbow in there, good! How do you want your incumbent starter to react? I thought he was pretty tactful given the situation. He can’t give off the vibe that he’s handing his job over there. 

He wasn't liked in Miami for kinda the same attitude. He isn't a good teammate. 

57 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tannehill is owed $38.6M this year and $36.6M in 2023.  I think he’ll be able to sleep just fine at night if people want to blame him for the struggles of a 3rd round pick.

You mean the mental midget that had to see a therapist and 'was in a dark place' over a football game and now doesn't want to help out his teammates and coworkers? Yeah not so sure about that one there, guy. He's a certified jackass. Also, you've been following me around like a meth head casing a plumbing truck. Do me a favor and get off my dick. K? K. Thanks. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RoadFan said:

“Mentoring” is another grossly overused term.  Outdone only by “weaponz.”

”There’s no doubt about it” pisses me off too!

On Jets forums, such clichés are a dime a dozen. 

Poor. You don't want to hear that from a supposed leader.

He's not wrong though. This is a win-now team and his job is to focus on winning games. But you don't say this, it makes it appear like there's dissent within the organisation. While he doesn't have to go out of his way to teach Willis you do have to be a good teammate and work with each other to get better. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jet9 said:

You mean the mental midget that had to see a therapist and 'was in a dark place' over a football game and now doesn't want to help out his teammates and coworkers? 

While I've grown a little cynical towards all the mental health talk from certain athletes, mainly Man United players, this is pretty garbage. Going to see a therapist to seek help does not make on a "mental midget". 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

While I've grown a little cynical towards all the mental health talk from certain athletes, mainly Man United players, this is pretty garbage. Going to see a therapist to seek help does not make on a "mental midget". 

Akshullay....saying he had to seek help for, again, a football game (of all things) and then acting like the a$$hole he's always been is garbage. He learned nothing, if any of it is true at all. No need to white knight for this guy or try and call me out. I'm not saying people who go to therapy are mental midgets. I'm saying Ryan Tannehill is a mental midget...and an a$$hole. 

• Sympathy 1

22 minutes ago, Jet9 said:

Akshullay....saying he had to seek help for, again, a football game (of all things) and then acting like the a$$hole he's always been is garbage. He learned nothing, if any of it is true at all. No need to white knight for this guy or try and call me out. I'm not saying people who go to therapy are mental midgets. I'm saying Ryan Tannehill is a mental midget...and an a$$hole. 

You say this like it's a little league game.

These guys are under serious pressure, the amount of scrutiny QB's receive for winning and losing is way over the top as is the abuse they receive when things go badly. Tannehill has invested his life in this sport and after that game he's being ridiculed up and down the internet like he's a joke. All his genuinely good work gets completely overshadowed by a few mistakes. I can easily see why that would take a toll on someone's mental health.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, peebag said:

It's not like Willis is going to be able to take over the job in a year or two.

This.  If Willis is playing some time in the next 2 years then Tennessee will be drafting a QB in the 1st round fairly soon.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Tannehill is owed $38.6M this year and $36.6M in 2023.  I think he’ll be able to sleep just fine at night if people want to blame him for the struggles of a 3rd round pick.

No wonder he seems to feel slighted. That’s barely 75 million for two entire seasons. 

• Haha 2