Is there chance Jets sign a Free Agent/make trade before season?

Most Likely GIF by RJ TolsonJamie Foxx Shrug GIF

Between June cuts, and players that become available you'll see them make a move or two. Most likely at LB seeing as that is their weakest link probably right now on paper. Deion Jones in ATL has been mentioned a few times and  he fits the system. The DT from the Bengals will probably sign as depth if he doesn't find a better offer. The offense seems locked down for the most part.

• Upvote 4

I think they will try to showcase Mims in the pre-season and then trade him.

Glad to hear he is working hard in the off-season.  I’m still not buying the hype.  

Mims couldn’t sniff the field last season when the Jets barely had a single WR healthy enough to play...

• Upvote 2

There is a chance that the safeties and DL currently on the roster could work.  I don’t think there is a realistic chance that the LBs work.  If we want to win more than 5 games, I would sign a LB.  Deion Jones would be perfect but expensive.  

We are gambling with Wilson’s health and development of the offense with the current Ts.  We should sign a veteran and put Mitchell on IR after he gets injured trying to block Carl Lawson in practice.  

Otherwise we should roll with the team we have, gain valuable experience from our schedule and finish the build next year.  

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, RoadFan said:

I think they will try to showcase Mims in the pre-season and then trade him.

Glad to hear he is working hard in the off-season.  I’m still not buying the hype.  

Mims couldn’t sniff the field last season when the Jets barely had a single WR healthy enough to play...

Pretty much 0 chance that they'd showcase Mims and then trade him.  

For one they still believe in him or hold out hope that hes talented and circumstances worked against him in the past.  Secondly who would want him?  If he shows enough to draw offers why wouldnt they hold onto him, he fills a need they dont have in a WR right now.  Throw in hes inexpensive and I dont see a reason to trade him this year

• Upvote 4
  • Sympathy 2

27 minutes ago, slats said:

Yeah, people seem to forget that they lost Crowder and Cole, and then only added Wilson. Jets will carry a minimum of five WRs, and Mims’ only possible competition for that fifth spot is probably Jeff Smith or maybe Tarik Black, unless one of these kids has an amazing camp. Not exactly an uphill battle. If he can play to some sort of showcasing level this summer, he’s not going anywhere. If there’s a team in the NFL that needs depth everywhere, it’s the Jets. 

This. Especially since we're among the league leaders year in and year out for cap% sitting on IR. Depth is needed everywhere. We're just not used to the luxury of having good players not being starters because we're usually forced into making people starters because we don't have good players.

They will 100% sign players and make trades before the season.  I don't know that they will be at the level that anybody here will consider them important. 

1 hour ago, Jet Nut said:

Pretty much 0 chance that they'd showcase Mims and then trade him.  

For one they still believe in him or hold out hope that hes talented and circumstances worked against him in the past.  Secondly who would want him?  If he shows enough to draw offers why wouldnt they hold onto him, he fills a need they dont have in a WR right now.  Throw in hes inexpensive and I dont see a reason to trade him this year

0 chance?  Hold out hope?  There is a chance that he will be on the bubble.  Particularly if they add somebody.  He doesn't play specials and he doesn't seem to be a great fit and/or buy into what they are doing.  In his favor is that he played more as the season wore on, but if they are contemplating cutting him, they will try to move him for a pick.  Everybody busts on Blake Cashman, but they did less at LB than WR and they moved him.  Mims has way more ceiling, but they don't appear married to the guy.

1 hour ago, JetsFanatic said:

After June 1st there usually is another round of signings. 

I thought this wasn't a thing anymore?  Teams can designate cuts as post June 1st now, so you don't have the wait like before.  The player's association negotiated that a long time ago because good players were losing out on money because they couldn't join teams until after June 1st when teams wanted their depth charts set.  Not teams can maneuver the money earlier.  I guess some teams still hold out hope and dick around with some guys, like Morgan Moses, but it's not what it once was. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I can't  think of a single player that had been treated by the Jets the way Mims was given the circumstances surrounding the position. The Jets WR core was decimated and they still wouldn't  play him and when they did, they barely called his number. When you have a 6'3" player who runs a sub 4.4 40 and you would rather put the ball in Barrios's hands, that says a lot about what the team thinks of you so I'm not really sure where you are getting the team believes in him, because last season, they didn't  believe in him at all. 

Could it have a “tough love” message? 

18 minutes ago, More Cowbell said:

I can't  think of a single player that had been treated by the Jets the way Mims was given the circumstances surrounding the position. The Jets WR core was decimated and they still wouldn't  play him and when they did, they barely called his number. When you have a 6'3" player who runs a sub 4.4 40 and you would rather put the ball in Barrios's hands, that says a lot about what the team thinks of you so I'm not really sure where you are getting the team believes in him, because last season, they didn't  believe in him at all. 

He played more than 20 snaps a game down the stretch.  I don't think people grasp just how bad Mims was when he was on the field.  He had a 35% catch rate.    Some of that, and Berrios getting more shots, probably comes from him not knowing the positions or getting run out of slot.  There are plenty of guys that are tall and fast and don't pan out, but Mims actually looked like something that would develop in 2020.  I'm not holding my breath that he amounts to anything now.  Maybe if he is just slow with the playbook and the injuries were his main setback in 2021?  I don't know, but I guess that is the hope.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, #27TheDominator said:

They will 100% sign players and make trades before the season.  I don't know that they will be at the level that anybody here will consider them important. 

0 chance?  Hold out hope?  There is a chance that he will be on the bubble.  Particularly if they add somebody.  He doesn't play specials and he doesn't seem to be a great fit and/or buy into what they are doing.  In his favor is that he played more as the season wore on, but if they are contemplating cutting him, they will try to move him for a pick.  Everybody busts on Blake Cashman, but they did less at LB than WR and they moved him.  Mims has way more ceiling, but they don't appear married to the guy.

Just don’t see him being cut.  They’ve gone out of their way to explain his health issues as a reason he struggled along with repeatedly talking about his talents and that they still believe in him.  I can’t see the advantage to cutting out trading him unless a better player is brought in

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Jets are currently sitting with $13M in available cap space, 12th most according to Overthecap.com.  They are also in good shape for next year.

I see the following

1. Swing OT like Daryl Williams on a 1 year deal, formerly of the Bills who’s played both tackle and guard well but is better at tackle.  79.4 grade as Bills RT 2 years ago before switching to guard (67.5 grade)

2. LB who can backup Mosley and stop the run.  Can you imagine Mosley gets hurt.  Are our converted safeties playing Mike?  1-2 year deal.

(I’m still but less concerned about the covering the flat or TEs this year with last year’s rookies coming back from injury)

3. DT who can help stop the run up the middle. Absolutely terrible here last year and only lost talent instead of gaining.  Don’t like the Bengals guy; prefer someone like Hicks, an underrated player released from the Bears.  1-2 year deql

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Jets are currently sitting with $13M in available cap space, 12th most according to Overthecap.com.  They are also in good shape for next year.

I see the following

1. Swing OT like Daryl Williams on a 1 year deal, formerly of the Bills who’s played both tackle and guard well but is better at tackle.  79.4 grade as Bills RT 2 years ago before switching to guard (67.5 grade)

2. LB who can backup Mosley and stop the run.  Can you imagine Mosley gets hurt.  Are our converted safeties playing Mike?  1-2 year deal.

(I’m less concerned about the flat this year with last year’s rookies coming back from injury)

3. DT who can help stop the run up the middle. Absolutely terrible here last year and only lost talent instead of gaining.  Don’t like the Bengals guy; prefer someone like Hicks, an underrated player released from the Bears.  1-2 year deql

It seems like they are really expecting Marshall to be a player, and be a big piece of the DT rotation. However, if a solid, proven vet is a June 1st casuality, or later in camp, could see JD trying to grab a guy. Agree with you, LB seems way more of a need.

• Upvote 1

I'll be shocked if they didn't.  With them bringing in Ogunjobi & Alexander for visits I would 
expect one or both to be signed before camp.  Then with the quality depth we have at DLine & CB
I would expect Douglas to pull a trade for a draft pick or two at the end of camp

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

Just don’t see him being cut.  They’ve gone out of their way to explain his health issues as a reason he struggled along with repeatedly talking about his talents and that they still believe in him.  I can’t see the advantage to cutting out trading him unless a better player is brought in

He was terrible in this system last season.  If he doesn't improve greatly, the advantage to getting rid of him is that guys like Smith and Berrios might actually be better players in the system.  You can't even argue that he got better as the season went on.  He had 40 of his yards on his one target week 1.  Without that catch, he caught 8 of 22 for 93 yards.  He is two years in without a TD.  If things don't change quickly for him, it might make sense to send him somewhere that can use him, expecially since he has yet to play a special team snap. I'm not saying they are going to trade or cut him, or that they should.  I am saying there are very good reasons to think they might.  Hearing that he is big and fast is nice, but so is Irvin Charles. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, slats said:

Yeah, people seem to forget that they lost Crowder and Cole, and then only added Wilson. Jets will carry a minimum of five WRs, and Mims’ only possible competition for that fifth spot is probably Jeff Smith or maybe Tarik Black, unless one of these kids has an amazing camp. Not exactly an uphill battle. If he can play to some sort of showcasing level this summer, he’s not going anywhere. If there’s a team in the NFL that needs depth everywhere, it’s the Jets. 

There's always that guy that people try to get off the team at all costs and against all logic. This year, it seems that it's Mims. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

The Jets treated him like sh*t because he played like sh*t.  He deserved what he got.  He reaped what he sowed.  

It's up to Mims to change the narrative.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I see the following

(I’m less concerned about the flat this year with last year’s rookies coming back from injury)

they be hurtin' at LB baby.

2 hours ago, KRL said:

I'll be shocked if they didn't.  With them bringing in Ogunjobi & Alexander for visits I would 
expect one or both to be signed before camp.  Then with the quality depth we have at DLine & CB
I would expect Douglas to pull a trade for a draft pick or two at the end of camp

Who is going to stop the run?  Sherwood and Nas coming back might help cover the TEs and RBs but are they big enough to stop the run?

Ogunjobi?  His run grades are terrible.  Seems to sell out for sacks and should only be considered a pass rushing upgrade over Rankins, who was equally inept at both last year.

Alexander fits the Jets well but only from an oft injured perspective.

I don’t get the interest here.

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

I'm not criticizing the Jets for how he was treated

oh, okay.  I really do hope he turns it around.  Being a workout warrior is great, but you gotta produce on the field.  I know there are great reports about him, but I really hopes he comes through.

The Baker Mayfield situation was handled so weirdly.  He easily outplayed Sam Darnold, and his last healthy season was a top 15-ish QB, yet no one wants him.  Darnold netting a 2nd and 4th, while Baker basically has to be cut is a bigger feather in Douglas' cap than the Adams trade at this point.  

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, win4ever said:

The Baker Mayfield situation was handled so weirdly.  He easily outplayed Sam Darnold, and his last healthy season was a top 15-ish QB, yet no one wants him.  Darnold netting a 2nd and 4th, while Baker basically has to be cut is a bigger feather in Douglas' cap than the Adams trade at this point.  

Mayfield seems to be in that gray zone where any upside of his talent isn’t right now worth more than the difficulty of his personality. That $18M price tag doesn’t help. Browns should’ve done him a solid already and let him go. 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

5 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I'm not sure that number includes #17 Wilson 

The Jets might be up against the cap. They do have alot of long term flexibility but that means someone needs to be extended or haircut for cap room now. 

10 minutes ago, slats said:

Mayfield seems to be in that gray zone where any upside of his talent isn’t right now worth more than the difficulty of his personality. That $18M price tag doesn’t help. Browns should’ve done him a solid already and let him go. 

I thought he had trade value, but they got caught in the Watson cycle.  If they traded Mayfield, without getting Watson, in a year where the QB draft was abysmal, they look dumb for tanking a possible contender.  If they kept Mayfield, I think it would have been fine to bank on him possibly coming back from injury and then going from there.   

But they went all in on Watson, who most likely will be suspended, and tanked Mayfield's value in the process, and tanking this season anyway, without the picks for next year.  Watson already screwed them over with the last minute switch (every indication was Atlanta).  

I think their big fear was him going to the Steelers and instantly becoming a solid starter, so they want to have some control.  I still think a Mayfield/Darnold trade might end up happening, because at this point, there's no benefit of cutting him.  Both on 5th year options, Darnold won't make any issues, and Mayfield offers more upside for the Panthers.  

• Upvote 1