Fitzmagic Retires

1 hour ago, CSNY said:

Fitz gets credit for longevity that’s all.
He was a turnover waiting to happen especially in a big spot. The only reason some fans like him imo is that he had one decent year which really speaks to just how bad the Jets QB play has been for the past decade rather than how good Fitz is The Guy was a disaster 

Longevity and availability are both under rated talents in the pro sports world 

• Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Anthony Jet said:

Longevity and availability are both under rated talents in the pro sports world 

That’s all well and good but you are not going to be a perennial playoff contender or winning a Super Bowl with him Hell you lucky to win 6 games a year with him as you starter 

He was a horrible QB 

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Ryan Fitzpatrick retires from NFL: Ranking FitzMagic's nine most memorable stops

https://www.nfl.com/news/ryan-fitzpatrick-retires-from-nfl-ranking-fitzmagic-s-nine-most-memorable-stops

image.png.358984310df671fe5cedd108d22897ea.png

He was a place keeper....  it shows how WEAK the QB position is. There are 10-12 good ones.  This opens up a possibility for a guy like Fitz to keep the seat warm. ANY team that put stock in Fitz was poorly run. Look at the teams. They all had a QB go bust and needed one. Under pressure, he cracked like humpty dumpty. Only Jets fans laud a non playoff QB who is the picture of journey man.  NO other team fan base looks at Fitz as a good period in their history. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

He was a place keeper....  it shows how WEAK the QB position is. There are 10-12 good ones.  This opens up a possibility for a guy like Fitz to keep the seat warm. ANY team that put stock in Fitz was poorly run. Look at the teams. They all had a QB go bust and needed one. Under pressure, he cracked like humpty dumpty. Only Jets fans laud a non playoff QB who is the picture of journey man.  NO other team fan base looks at Fitz as a good period in their history. 

"NO other team fan base looks at Fitz as a good period in their history. "

Maybe Buffalo for 1-2 years?  I think Tampa probably as well (from a couple of years ago).  And, personally, I wanted to see what he could've done in Washington last year with that great defense but he got hurt.

That said, I largely agree with what you wrote.

20 minutes ago, CSNY said:

That’s all well and good but you are not going to be a perennial playoff contender or winning a Super Bowl with him Hell you lucky to win 6 games a year with him as you starter 

He was a horrible QB 

Horrible is a bit of an over statement. 

agree with the perennial playoff contender though. 

Guy was an underdog story that basically made it. 

Serviceable back up that could start in bunches  

11 hours ago, Pac said:

Fitzpatrick was a complete disaster.  Macc allowing himself to be held hostage by this clown was perhaps the most glaring mistake on his record.  He should have said loud and clear that they were moving on but instead he allowed Bowles to hypnotize him into thinking Ryan was a playoff caliber QB. 

I can't think of any NFL player other than Sammy Watkins who has been paid so much money for being a less than mediocre player.

Adios Fitzy...  Stay off my TV too.  I'd rather listen to Booger Mcfarland fumbling over his words while riding that preposterous Booger Mobile than see your stupid smarmy smile while dissecting a HB dive.

^^^ This guy loved Sanchez, Geno and Darnold btw

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, CSNY said:

This is 100% correct. I don’t put much stock in statistics as numbers for the most part really don’t give a true overall picture of a particular game, season or career, as I just go by what my eyes tell me and my eyes tell me he was at best a less than mediocre QB who played a loooong time who put up a lot of passing yardage due to his longevity 

I have seen a number of posters on this site who consider Curtis Martin a mediocre Halfback (which I totally disagree with them but that’s a different discussion) who got in being “THE GREAT COMPILER” well Fitz compiled his stats and no one in there right mind would even consider Fitz as a hall of fame QB much less put him in the elite, above average or even an average QB he was just absolutely terrible regardless of what his final career numbers are 

Martin WAS a compiler- one dimensional JAG+ RB but he was successful because he could be as marginally effective on the 30th carry of a game or the 250th carry of a season as he was on the first carry. Possibly the most overrated player in NFL history. He was a very valuable player but he was never an elite RB and someone you did not need to game plan against. He was just a guy you could handoff to 300 times and get 1200 yards. He was no threat in the running game. That said his durability is unique and one of the best traits a player can have is availability so I don't even begrudge him being in the HOF, just let's not pretend he was elite.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Martin WAS a compiler- one dimensional JAG+ RB but he was successful because he could be as marginally effective on the 30th carry of a game or the 250th carry of a season as he was on the first carry. Possibly the most overrated player in NFL history. He was a very valuable player but he was never an elite RB and someone you did not need to game plan against. He was just a guy you could handoff to 300 times and get 1200 yards. He was no threat in the running game. That said his durability is unique and one of the best traits a player can have is availability so I don't even begrudge him being in the HOF, just let's not pretend he was elite.

@Savage69 it’s like he never left! RIP brother. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

31-TD season and the only fun year in the last 12 and people wonder why some Jets fans like Fitz.

Meanwhile I’m sitting here wondering how people could HATE the guy.  Like…Wtf.  You know what you’re getting out of a journeyman like him, and he seems fairly likable for the most part.  That’s a pretty low bar to set to hate someone. 

I don't think we (or I at least)  hate the guy.  He simply epitomizes mediocrity.  He helps smoke out the average JETS fan that is thrilled to go 10-6 with no playoffs.   If a person thinks Fitz is terrific, I would say the bar has been set VERY low and most grew up in the 5th place trophy generation.

I admire and respect him as a player .  He made no real impact of any length  on any team as he simply was a place holder for poorly run teams void of any real QB or GM talent for that matter.  

3 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Despised him.  Least favorite Jets starting QB of all time for me. He was a fraud.  He was carried by great seasons from those around him.  

How is a 7th round pick from Harvard a fraud in football. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, CSNY said:

He was a horrible QB 

Your post is an understatement. He never even had a winning career record with any of the 9 teams he played.  Ever.  Forget about playoffs, he couldn't even break .500.  He was a decent back up. The problem with Fitz was one of self awareness.  He thought he was a good QB and never understood why he was benched and traded/cut - 8 times.  

6 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

31-TD season and the only fun year in the last 12 and people wonder why some Jets fans like Fitz.

Meanwhile I’m sitting here wondering how people could HATE the guy.  Like…Wtf.  You know what you’re getting out of a journeyman like him, and he seems fairly likable for the most part.  That’s a pretty low bar to set to hate someone. 

Exactly, I feel like some fans expected him to be Peyton Manning lol. He was a journeyman QB who had an all time season for us. Be grateful 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Your post is an understatement. He never even had a winning career record with any of the 9 teams he played.  Ever.  Forget about playoffs, he couldn't even break .500.  He was a decent back up. The problem with Fitz was one of self awareness.  He thought he was a good QB and never understood why he was benched and traded/cut - 8 times.  

Was trying to be kind about his career but whenever he was the opposing QB against the Jets. I  would definitely up my bet cause he was good for two or three picks    

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

How is a 7th round pick from Harvard a fraud in football. 

Because he thought he was a top tier starting QB his entire career. He continually got pissed when he was benched in favor of the young high draft QBs on the roster or when the injured starter he replaced returned to the lineup when healthy.  The way he acted in the 2016 preseason with the Jets is a prime example of this. He wanted to paid like a starting QB and held out when the Jets wouldn't pay him a starting QB salary (until Bowles forced the Jets to do so).  Then he quickly and predictably reverted to his old terrible self.  

50 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I don't think we (or I at least)  hate the guy.  He simply epitomizes mediocrity.  He helps smoke out the average JETS fan that is thrilled to go 10-6 with no playoffs.   If a person thinks Fitz is terrific, I would say the bar has been set VERY low and most grew up in the 5th place trophy generation.

I admire and respect him as a player .  He made no real impact of any length  on any team as he simply was a place holder for poorly run teams void of any real QB or GM talent for that matter.  

Of course he's mediocre.  He's a stopgap.  The problem isn't QB's like him, the problem is the GM's that pay those QBs exorbitant sums, and/or fail to find anyone who can be the future of the franchise while that QB is under center.

Take Chad Pennington, for instance.  I have no issues that the Jets drafted him and made them their starter while he was still on his rookie deal.  The problem came when he got an expensive contract at the time, even though he's really no better than a guy like Fitzpatrick.  

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

2 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Because he thought he was a top tier starting QB his entire career. He continually got pissed when he was benched in favor of the young high draft QBs on the roster or when the injured starter he replaced returned to the lineup when healthy.  The way he acted in the 2016 preseason with the Jets is a prime example of this. He wanted to paid like a starting QB and held out when the Jets wouldn't pay him a starting QB salary (until Bowles forced the Jets to do so).  Then he quickly and predictably reverted to his old terrible self.  

Decent QB wants to start and wants to get paid commensurate of a starting QB.  Jeez, Stalin is shaking his head in disgust as we speak.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

He did? I don’t remember him saying or thinking he was a top 10 guy. I mean if we’re being honest he’s better than Tua.

the 2016 Jets didn’t have a QB on the roster. He had leverage. He was the starter and everyone knew it. They gave him a 1 year deal for not a lot of money because they had no choice. 

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, southparkcpa said:

Only Jets fans laud a non playoff QB who is the picture of journey man.

You know this, because you lived in all the other cities that Fitz played in, and heard those fans and local media hating on him like a fan "should"?

This might be news to you, but fans are pretty much fans no matter where they are.

For example, DC area fans were, by and large, very happy when Fitz was signed.  Happier in some ways, oddly enough, than when they got Wentz this year.  My brother the Phins fan liked Fitz alot too.  Fitz IS likeable, generally speaking.  

Also, "laud"?  As in "praise (a person or their achievements) highly, especially in a public context"?

I don't see anyone doing that.  He was alot of fun for one year, in a decade full of boring, horrible, not-fun teams.  No one is claiming he achieved anything special here.  Even though his one fun year is the 2nd best in our morribund franchises history at QB, we all know even that is well below par for the modern NFL.  

But maybe you do have a point.  Many of you loved Josh McClown when he was here, and more than I'd expect love having Ceck Cash'in Flacco now.  And journeyman Vinny is a beloved ex-Jet for his one good year here.  Maybe Jets Fans do love crappy journeymen more than normal after all.  

37 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You're right. The guy had a franchise record-breaking year, and had the audacity of trying to maximize his value! He should have known his place and taken less money!

F*ck him!!!!!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Of course he's mediocre.  He's a stopgap.  The problem isn't QB's like him, the problem is the GM's that pay those QBs exorbitant sums, and/or fail to find anyone who can be the future of the franchise while that QB is under center.

Take Chad Pennington, for instance.  I have no issues that the Jets drafted him and made them their starter while he was still on his rookie deal.  The problem came when he got an expensive contract at the time, even though he's really no better than a guy like Fitzpatrick.  

How can you even compare the two?  One was a winner, the other a loser.  In every season that he was healthy, Pennington led his team to the playoffs.  Pennington was the QB of a playoff team 4 times - 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008.  He was the winning QB on a playoff team twice.  Fitz sniffed the playoffs once in his 17 year career and crapped the bed vs the Bills in a win and in game.  At least Pennington earned his contract.  Fitz got an expensive contract a few times in his career for what? Pennington is leaps and bounds better than Fitz.  The only thing Pennington did wrong was get injured in 2004 vs Buffalo.  That shoulder injury ruined him (and he still gutted out two more playoff seasons after that). Fitz accomplished nothing and won nothing in two decades.  Fitz can't carry Pennington's jock strap.  

37 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

How can you even compare the two?  One was a winner, the other a loser.  In every season that he was healthy, Pennington led his team to the playoffs.  Pennington was the QB of a playoff team 4 times - 2002, 2004, 2006, 2008.  He was the winning QB on a playoff team twice.  Fitz sniffed the playoffs once in his 17 year career and crapped the bed vs the Bills in a win and in game.  At least Pennington earned his contract.  Fitz got an expensive contract a few times in his career for what? Pennington is leaps and bounds better than Fitz.  The only thing Pennington did wrong was get injured in 2004 vs Buffalo.  That shoulder injury ruined him (and he still gutted out two more playoff seasons after that). Fitz accomplished nothing and won nothing in two decades.  Fitz can't carry Pennington's jock strap.  

FB_IMG_1654296322296.jpg

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Oh FFS.  Pennington never beat a good team in his life.  He saved his worst performances for when it mattered most.  NE, BAL and PIT all completely owned him.  

Sounds a lot like Fitz to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

You know this, because you lived in all the other cities that Fitz played in, and heard those fans and local media hating on him like a fan "should"?

This might be news to you, but fans are pretty much fans no matter where they are.

For example, DC area fans were, by and large, very happy when Fitz was signed.  Happier in some ways, oddly enough, than when they got Wentz this year.  My brother the Phins fan liked Fitz alot too.  Fitz IS likeable, generally speaking.  

Also, "laud"?  As in "praise (a person or their achievements) highly, especially in a public context"?

I don't see anyone doing that.  He was alot of fun for one year, in a decade full of boring, horrible, not-fun teams.  No one is claiming he achieved anything special here.  Even though his one fun year is the 2nd best in our morribund franchises history at QB, we all know even that is well below par for the modern NFL.  

But maybe you do have a point.  Many of you loved Josh McClown when he was here, and more than I'd expect love having Ceck Cash'in Flacco now.  And journeyman Vinny is a beloved ex-Jet for his one good year here.  Maybe Jets Fans do love crappy journeymen more than normal after all.  

3 hours ago, munchmemory said:

Fitz: Mr. Never Pull Out

@Warfish  youre response is so deep…thought id let my personal social secretary handle my response. It’s fukkin awesome. Meet MUNCH, My communications secretary.  

• Haha 2

Well here’s a list where the Jets come out on top! 
https://www.nfl.com/news/ryan-fitzpatrick-retires-from-nfl-ranking-fitzmagic-s-nine-most-memorable-stops

“Gang Green got the full FitzMagic experience. Signed as a backup before the 2015 season, the QB was thrust into the starting role after Geno Smithgot cold-cocked by teammate IK Enemkpali. Of course, from there, Fitzpatrick went on to have the best season of his career, racking up 3,905 yards and 31 TDs, breaking Vinny Testaverde's franchise record. At home in coordinator Chan Gailey's offense and teaming with Brandon Marshall, Fitzpatrick made the Jets wildly entertaining in Todd Bowles' first season as head coach. As Fitzy's career has gone, however, the season ended in a lousy three-interception fourth-quarter in a loss to the Bills that kept the 10-6 Jets out of the playoffs. The Jets re-upped with Fitzpatrick in 2016 but never recaptured the magic before his inevitable benching.”

815A71E8-9830-4141-8826-8A5481E694D0.gif

It's pretty simple really:  Fitz helped provide the only truly fun season since Rex Ryan in 2009/2010.

That's over ten years of almost complete poop, with only one bright spot worth recalling fondly in any way.  

Give credit to Fitz for it, or give all the credit to Marshall and Decker or Bowles or whomever if you like, doesn't make much difference really. 

That year was fun.

The best way to make people who remember it fondly forget about it, is to actually have a fun season now.  With one of our seemingly endless parade of hyped up hopium filled savior draft picks, blowing away Fitz on the all-time Jets QB record charts (which to be honest, shouldn't be that hard).

When that happens, when a Jets drafted QB goes 11-6, throws for over 4,000 yards, and has 32+ Passing TD's and a 2:1 or better TD to INT ratio, while being fun and charismatic to watch lead our Jets......we'll all forget about Fitz.  Or at best he may be remembered only as a short term version of another journeyman win-nothing Vet, Vinny T.

So, when will we get that kind of fun from our young Zach?  Because that's all we need to end the cycle of Fitz threads we've had since 2015.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1