Fitzmagic Retires

2 hours ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

I know there are a lot of opinions on this guy, but that one season was probably the most excited I’ve watched as a Jets fan in a long time. 

Personally, though, I give most of the credit to Marshall and Decker for that season.

• Sympathy 1

3 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

Personally, though, I give most of the credit to Marshall and Decker for that season.

2015 was Deckers 2nd best season in his career (only by a little behind his best). 

He was out of the NFL by 2018, after losing almost all of 2016 to injury and a humdrum 500 yard season in 2017 where he was mostly ineffective.

2015 was Marshalls best season in his career. 

He too was out of the NFL, by 2019 in his case, after a middling and unreliable season with Fitz in 2016, followed by two completely unproductive seasons in 2017 and 2018 (both under 200 yards receiving).

Two guys whose best career years were with Fitz, and who did almost nothing after leaving Fitz.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, chirorob said:

Brady tells a story, "yeah, and then, we had all the plays on video, and BB was mean, and we won, and I went home to my super model wife and our goat." 

Fitz has stories about 10 coaches, good teams, bad teams, funny stuff, comebacks, teams that disappointed.  He's more of an every man (ironic, he went to Harvard).   A 7th round pick who lasted 17 years.

Brady doesn't come off as interesting to listen to for 3 hours at a clip once you get past the initial few games.

It's not baseball.  They aren't filling dead air with stories.

He's going to analyze the play that just happened and maybe predict what they will do next. 

51 minutes ago, Warfish said:

2015 was Deckers 2nd best season in his career (only by a little behind his best). 

He was out of the NFL by 2018, after losing almost all of 2016 to injury and a humdrum 500 yard season in 2017 where he was mostly ineffective.

2015 was Marshalls best season in his career. 

He too was out of the NFL, by 2019 in his case, after a middling and unreliable season with Fitz in 2016, followed by two completely unproductive seasons in 2017 and 2018 (both under 200 yards receiving).

Two guys whose best career years were with Fitz, and who did almost nothing after leaving Fitz.

And what did Fitz do here in 2016 when both Marshall and Decker were perpetually injured and he couldn't force the ball to them anymore?

Nothing, except for throwing interceptions.

I'm not saying Marshall and Decker are Hall of Fame bound, I'm just saying that their ability to get open and make contested catches really helped a gunslinger like Fitz. When they were no longer reliable, he still tried forcing it to them and couldn't adjust when it didn't work.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Please enough with this guy.  All I hear on this board is that the only thing that matters is winning.  So...17 years, 9 teams. Losing record as a QB for all 9 teams.  There was a reason he played for 9 teams and it was because after a few games or a season, it became evident that he was not an NFL starting QB.  He is not above .500 for any of the 9 teams he played for as a starting QB.  Not a single playoff appearance in 17 seasons.  That epitomizes Fitztragic. He was a poor NFL QB who bamboozled 9 teams to sign him and some others to resign him when he couldn't ever win a big game.   Plus 6.9 YPA for his career - that is pretty pathetic. 

I won't miss him.  2015 was a mirage.  He was carried by two veteran receivers who played lights out. Then he completely spit the bit vs Buffalo.  Just a massive meltdown in the biggest game of his life.  2016 was more a reflection of his true QB abilities and was not a function of mismanagement, or bad luck, or bad personnel, or anything other than him being what he always was - a subpar QB and a prolific loser.

He gets credit for hanging around and earning so much money considering his lack of talent and skill as a QB.  

Damn

Not saying I disagree with any of this, but this is savage.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Cared enough to open the thread.

Cared enough to post to the thread.

Cared enough (I wager) to come back to read this response.

Seems you cared more than you think. :D

People who truly didn't care, they never even opened the thread.

I don’t care enough to reply to you.

? 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Even if this were true, it works both ways - Fitz had his best season throwing to Marshall and Decker. 

But it's probably not true for Decker and debatable for Marshall. Decker's two best seasons were arguably 2012 and 2013, when Peyton Manning was throwing to him. Meanwhile, Marshall had 6-7 good to great seasons (2007, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015). Fitz was the QB for one of them. 

• Haha 1

That year was so much fun to watch. I was all smiles until the last game. That pats game was incredible. Beating them in OT was magical 

Then there was the dreaded kc 6 pick game. I laughed and cried and was drunk as a mf to ease the pain 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, chirorob said:

Now he is someone I would want to hear in the broadcasting booth.

He played forever, on tons of teams, tons of coaches, tons of different offensive systems.  Very intelligent, went to Harvard, I believe he had the highest Wonderlic score for years.

Great personality, too.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Mark's legacy is that he held back a Super Bowl caliber team, IMO. He didn't play for 17 years for a reason -- when he didn't have an elite team around him he wasn't good, and frankly wasn't very good when he did have a Super Bowl caliber team around him.

No argument.  He did go places Fitz never went. Fitz was 5-0 at Buffalo and shlt the bed.  Fitz is a journeyman no more.  

Fitzpatrick was a complete disaster.  Macc allowing himself to be held hostage by this clown was perhaps the most glaring mistake on his record.  He should have said loud and clear that they were moving on but instead he allowed Bowles to hypnotize him into thinking Ryan was a playoff caliber QB. 

I can't think of any NFL player other than Sammy Watkins who has been paid so much money for being a less than mediocre player.

Adios Fitzy...  Stay off my TV too.  I'd rather listen to Booger Mcfarland fumbling over his words while riding that preposterous Booger Mobile than see your stupid smarmy smile while dissecting a HB dive.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 3

Least favorite Jets starting QBs of all time:

1. Fitztragic -all time NFL loser - used the Jets in 2016 - never won a big game in his life

2. Favre - all time NFL jerk who played uninspired football in 2005 and who used the Jets solely to get to Minnesota and was outplayed by the guy he replaced

3. O'Donnell - horrible signing injury prone 

4. G. Smith - another jerk

5. Al Woodall - bad back up whose appearance meant Namath was hurt and who couldn't win with a good team in 70-71

5 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Least favorite Jets starting QBs of all time:

1. Fitztragic -all time NFL loser - used the Jets in 2016 - never won a big game in his life

2. Favre - all time NFL jerk who played uninspired football in 2005 and who used the Jets solely to get to Minnesota and was outplayed by the guy he replaced

3. O'Donnell - horrible signing injury prone 

4. G. Smith - another jerk

5. Al Woodall - bad back up whose appearance meant Namath was hurt and who couldn't win with a good team in 70-71you

You didn't like fitz? Wtf is wrong with you

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Fitz gets credit for longevity that’s all.
He was a turnover waiting to happen especially in a big spot. The only reason some fans like him imo is that he had one decent year which really speaks to just how bad the Jets QB play has been for the past decade rather than how good Fitz is The Guy was a disaster 

• Sympathy 1

43 minutes ago, CSNY said:

Fitz gets credit for longevity that’s all.
He was a turnover waiting to happen especially in a big spot. The only reason some fans like him imo is that he had one decent year which really speaks to just how bad the Jets QB play has been for the past decade rather than how good Fitz is The Guy was a disaster 

of all the teams he played for, I bet only Jets fans speak well of him. 2015 was a fun year but as Fitz does, he can't cross the playoff line.  Speaks of how bad the Jets are that we as fans laud a 10-6 no playoff season like Fitz was Namath.  Im with you, Fitz in the long run, hurt the teams he played for as their GM's (Fukk you MacCagnan) delayed getting a REAL QB while Fitz was there.  

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

of all the teams he played for, I bet only Jets fans speak well of him. 2015 was a fun year but as Fitz does, he can't cross the playoff line.  Speaks of how bad the Jets are that we as fans laud a 10-6 no playoff season like Fitz was Namath.  Im with you, Fitz in the long run, hurt the teams he played for as their GM's (Fukk you MacCagnan) delayed getting a REAL QB while Fitz was there.  

This is 100% correct. I don’t put much stock in statistics as numbers for the most part really don’t give a true overall picture of a particular game, season or career, as I just go by what my eyes tell me and my eyes tell me he was at best a less than mediocre QB who played a loooong time who put up a lot of passing yardage due to his longevity 

I have seen a number of posters on this site who consider Curtis Martin a mediocre Halfback (which I totally disagree with them but that’s a different discussion) who got in being “THE GREAT COMPILER” well Fitz compiled his stats and no one in there right mind would even consider Fitz as a hall of fame QB much less put him in the elite, above average or even an average QB he was just absolutely terrible regardless of what his final career numbers are 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

He bamboozled 9 teams to sign him?  Over 17 years?  LMAO!

Or Fitz had pictures of owners of those 9 teams in compromising positions with small farm animals 

14 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Please enough with this guy.  All I hear on this board is that the only thing that matters is winning.  So...17 years, 9 teams. Losing record as a QB for all 9 teams.  There was a reason he played for 9 teams and it was because after a few games or a season, it became evident that he was not an NFL starting QB.  He is not above .500 for any of the 9 teams he played for as a starting QB.  Not a single playoff appearance in 17 seasons.  That epitomizes Fitztragic. He was a poor NFL QB who bamboozled 9 teams to sign him and some others to resign him when he couldn't ever win a big game.   Plus 6.9 YPA for his career - that is pretty pathetic. 

I won't miss him.  2015 was a mirage.  He was carried by two veteran receivers who played lights out. Then he completely spit the bit vs Buffalo.  Just a massive meltdown in the biggest game of his life.  2016 was more a reflection of his true QB abilities and was not a function of mismanagement, or bad luck, or bad personnel, or anything other than him being what he always was - a subpar QB and a prolific loser.

He gets credit for hanging around and earning so much money considering his lack of talent and skill as a QB.  

He gets credit because he was a 7th round pick out of a non football conference and hung around the league for as long as he did and had the ability to play well in spurts. Underdog success stories shouldn’t make you angry. 

• Upvote 1