Training Camp Tweets - (Previous Days Merged)

5 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He sees the field better and throws a more catchable pass than Wilson does right now. Flacco also still has the ability to throw lasers on the mid to deep level outside the numbers passes. It’s not ideal, but the team has a lot more talent than the last time he was forced into action. 

As I said, Flacco is a proven NFL QB.  Zach is not.

I think Flacco will do reasonably well.  There's no doubt reps for Zach, for better or worse, is what's in the best interest of the team long term, but I feel like there's little doubt the Jets have a greater likelihood of success in the 2022-23 season when Flacco is the QB.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Flacco's 37... He isn't the answer... Blah blah blah blah blah.

It's remarkable what happens when there's an actual, competent QB on the field, rather than a guy with tools that you hope maybe can put it together to become one.

Thus this is why, if Zach had a bad year this season, i'd much rather just roll with a veteran/proven guy even if we did draft someone in the first round. 

7 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

This is supposed to be fun.  Can't blame anyone for enjoying what an actual NFL QB can do vs. a guy who thus far, hasn't earned his spot on the field, and as of today, kinda sucks.  Not to mention injury prone.  I don't think it's so bad to get excited about the prospect of a functioning offense vs. what Zach's been capable of, where you're basically hoping he connects on more big plays than he does soft-toss to the other team.

The other reason may be that people are pretty close to not needing to see much more from Zach.  He's going to get more opportunities, and I'm not even saying the coaching staff should cut bait with him, but hard to blame fans who saw the leagues worst QB last year with no discernible improvement thus far in the offseason.  I mean, "it's only preseason" and "it's just a couple of throws" but holy hell if his name was Strevelar, he'd be called a "camp arm" and we'd be making UPS jokes.

Yeah this is where I’m coming from.

A decade of inept non-competitive football has honestly changed my outlook.

I don’t think I realized how the other half lived when we were going 9-7 and getting knocked out of the playoffs late in the year. I’ll take that over being a hopeless sad sack cycling through young QBs who are just bad.

Obviously a young franchise QB is the goal. But I’d prefer a competent veteran over flushing away another season watching some 23 year old pretty boy stink the joint up.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

It's remarkable what happens when there's an actual, competent QB on the field, rather than a guy with tools that you hope maybe can put it together to become one.

Remind us how many games "competent" Joe Flacco has won as a Jet.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, UntouchableCrew said:

Yeah this is where I’m coming from.

A decade of inept non-competitive football has honestly changed my outlook.

I don’t think I realized how the other half lived when we were going 9-7 and getting knocked out of the playoffs late in the year. I’ll take that over being a hopeless sad sack cycling through young QBs who are just bad.

Obviously a young franchise QB is the goal. But I’d prefer a competent veteran over flushing away another season watching some 23 year old pretty boy stink the joint up.

Yeah, I hear that.  At a certain point, this is a hobby and supposed to be fun.  It has not been in a very long time.  Obviously I still want a Super Bowl, but I'd also like a reason to watch on Sunday.

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I’m trying to figure out the dread over ZW playing 15 or 16 games instead of 17.  How that impacts the team, turns the season into a waste of time.  I would take 8 or more wins as posted, with Flacco playing 1 or 2 games ina heartbeat right now.  Sign me the F up

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

How many of those games do you think that he lost would the Jets have won with a more “competent” QB?  
He couldn’t win with a 1 win team?  I’m shocked, blame the QB

• Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Pretty close to the same amount as Zach has won, in far less opportunities.

Do we only get to compare him when forced to play as a back-up on a sh*tty team?  Or, do we look at the big picture, where he's never had a season as a starter with a negative TD/INT ratio like Zach had, has had multiple playoff appearances, won a super bowl, etc?

Do we consider how much better the Jets WRs produced last year w/ Flacco than with Wilson?

Or, do we just say, he's old and a back-up and didn't win on a sh*tty team, despite his stat line on that sh*tty team being meaningfully better than Wilsons?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

31 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

He sees the field better and throws a more catchable pass than Wilson does right now. Flacco also still has the ability to throw lasers on the mid to deep level outside the numbers passes. It’s not ideal, but the team has a lot more talent than the last time he was forced into action. 

Hmm where have I seen that recently - this what I call parroting or pirating whatever suits better. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

I’m trying to figure out the dread over ZW playing 15 or 16 games instead of 17.  How that impacts the team, turns the season into a waste of time.  I would take 8 or more wins as posted, with Flacco playing 1 or 2 games ina heartbeat right now.  Sign me the F up

I don't think that's the real question though.

I think the question may be, what if Flacco is playing well?  What if the offense in moving the ball?

Do you really yank him for this guy?

*On rewatch: that ball gets picked by the corner if the LB doesn't get there 1st.

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

I think the question may be, what if Flacco is playing well?  What if the offense in moving the ball?

Yes you do, you have to find out what he is.  Is that one pass all he will ever be or will it be the three completions he managed, two on long 3rd down conversions.  I have no idea.  But I like his tools, others don’t, I get it.  But we invested a 2.  Then again even if Flacco played lights out and you let ZW,sit, his career isn’t over.  

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

No question, it hasn't all been a disaster for Wilson.  But, you have the brutal preseason performance, then the injury, then G. Wilson's comments and then Flacco coming out having a gem of a day, and well, it's not a great look for Wilson.

Add to that, possibly the greatest Jets game of the past 10 years came the week after Zach got hurt last year, and this guy just feels more and more radioactive.

An incompletion and a bad pick and that equates to a brutal performance.  Based on two whole series of work. 

• Upvote 4

55 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

That would be nice if Joe Flacco were any of those things.

Even if he was, who cares?  I already explained how it would play out: You now know Zach isn’t the answer, probably didn’t make the playoffs, have no long term solution to your decade old QB problem, and will have to trade the farm IF one of the top two teams in the draft don’t need a QB.   For what, satisfying a need to feel happy for 6-7 Sundays?

But hey, at least thrashing the bottom feeders on our schedule will be fun I guess, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1

Just now, Jet Nut said:

Yes you do, you have to find out what he is.  Is that one pass all he will ever be or will it be the three completions he managed, two on long 3rd down conversions.  I have no idea.  But I like his tools, others don’t, I get it.  But we invested a 2.  Then again even if Flacco played lights out and you let ZW,sit, his career isn’t over.  

I don't destroy my locker room for one guy.  If Flacco is winning, he keeps playing.  How do you look 52 guys in the face, expect them to got to war for you, and at the same time tell them you're not serious about winning?

I'm there in practice every single day.  I'm in meetings every single day.  If I'm worth my salt, I know what I have.

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

*On rewatch: that ball gets picked by the corner if the LB doesn't get there 1st.

If the Jets are 2 or 3 and 0 and Flacco is playing very good football there is no way you take him out at that point, you would lose the team. You wait until he puts together 2 bad games and then go back to Wilson to figure out what you have with him. Flacco was a good QB, but he looked terrilbe in his last stint as a starter and at his age you can't really bank on him as a future QB

• Upvote 4

21 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Pretty close to the same amount as Zach has won, in far less opportunities.

Do we only get to compare him when forced to play as a back-up on a sh*tty team?  Or, do we look at the big picture, where he's never had a season as a starter with a negative TD/INT ratio like Zach had, has had multiple playoff appearances, won a super bowl, etc?

Do we consider how much better the Jets WRs produced last year w/ Flacco than with Wilson?

Or, do we just say, he's old and a back-up and didn't win on a sh*tty team, despite his stat line on that sh*tty team being meaningfully better than Wilsons?

None of this is true considering Flacco is winless in all of his starts, going back to 2020, and Zach has 4.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, T0mShane said:

I’m trying to imagine the “Zach Wilson MVP??” Thread that you people would start on here if Zach Wilson went 55% completions for 221 yards against the Ravens.

If Wilson put up the stat line I posted, my negativity would be absolutely unbearable and everyone here knows it, lmfao.

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

An incompletion and a bad pick and that equates to a brutal performance.  Based on two whole series of work. 

Yes, objectively, his performance was brutal.  Perhaps we need a larger sample size to make longer term judgements about the player.  But, it was bad, and last year, he was bad.  At present, the only reason to think he's no longer bad is that he had a good day in practice on his birthday.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, ZachEY said:

I don't destroy my locker room for one guy.  If Flacco is winning, he keeps playing.  How do you look 52 guys in the face, expect them to got to war for you, and at the same time tell them you're not serious about winning?

I'm there in practice every single day.  I'm in meetings every single day.  If I'm worth my salt, I know what I have.

Jet forums the crazy place place indeed, where Jet fans argue over benching a "winning" QB without the team even playing yet . Cross the bridge first guys then worry about that scenario. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 minutes ago, Flea Flicking Frank said:

If the Jets are 2 or 3 and 0 and Flacco is playing very good football there is no way you take him out at that point, you would lose the team. You wait until he puts together 2 bad games and then go back to Wilson to figure out what you have with him. Flacco was a good QB, but he looked terrilbe in his last stint as a starter and at his age you can't really bank on him as a future QB

Agreed on all counts.

Look At Us Paul Rudd GIF by First We Feast: Hot Ones

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

Yes, objectively, his performance was brutal.  Perhaps we need a larger sample size to make longer term judgements about the player.  But, it was bad, and last year, he was bad.  At present, the only reason to think he's no longer bad is that he had a good day in practice on his birthday.

But that good day or days at practice hold just about equal weight as the 4 passes he threw in a PS game - which is nada .  The coaches , the analysts and even players have noted a more confident and developed approach this off season. This story won't be fully written until he plays and is evaluated in games that actually count. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

He threw 5 passes, one miss, one horrible pass for a pick and tree completions.  Unfortunately tells us nothing more than he threw a god awful pass.  Getting injured killed any indication of whether he could bounce back from the INT or would he have folded.  I have no idea, no one does. 
We need to see more than a handful of passes.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, ZachEY said:

I had a different take on that INT. It wasn't the worst INT i've ever seen, saw it as more of great anticipation and break by the LB. Zach didn't expect to have to look off a guy on a quick route like that.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Sammybighead said:

I had a different take on that INT. It wasn't the worst INT i've ever seen, saw it as more of great anticipation and break by the LB. Zach didn't expect to have to look off a guy on a quick route like that.

Bingo , other QB's make that throw and its a great play by the defender -because its Zach, its all on him. 

• Sympathy 1

Just now, ZachEY said:

Flacco is a competent QB.  He wouldn't be hanging around if he wasn't.  He's not great.  But, he still understands the game of football.  We literally have no evidence that Zach does.  We just have hero ball, basically.

I've already conceded that Flacco isn't what's in the best interest of this team long term.  But, you asked why people would root for him.  The answer is pretty simple.  @UntouchableCrew nailed it as well.  I'm sort of tired of giving up years in the interest of some greater good that may never come.  It'd be one thing if Zach showed any promise.  He hasn't.  He's shown he can pull off some very exciting plays.  I'm at a point in my life where there's a lot of competition for my eyes and time.  Obviously I love the Jets, but if football isn't fun to watch, it's going to lose that competition.  If it doesn't make me happy, it's going to lose that competition.

If the Jets win the Super Bowl, I'll be at work on Monday.  So, while I still recognize what's best for the long term interests of the team, you'll have to forgive me not wanting to sit through another year of hapless QB play.  I've done it with Sanchez, with Geno, and with Darnold, and last year with Wilson.  In a decade, the payoff hasn't come.  So, you'll have to forgive me rooting for whomever makes the hobby fun.

3 wins.  I don't consider 3 and 0, considering the opportunities, that far apart.

Yeah it is. You root for him because unless Zach heals tremendously fast , Flacco will be starting at least a game or two. 

5 minutes ago, Sammybighead said:

Honestly the first pass that completely sailed over G. Wilson’s head was worse than the interception. You can’t play if you can’t make that throw 10 times out of 10.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

But that good day or days at practice hold just about equal weight as the 4 passes he threw in a PS game - which is nada .  The coaches , the analysts and even players have noted a more confident and developed approach this off season. This story won't be fully written until he plays and is evaluated in games that actually count. 

In the pantheon of our sh*tty QBs of the past decade, was there ever a season that we came into without a narrative around them being "more confident" or some other thing that doesn't end up panning out?

• Upvote 3