Deshaun Watson suspended 6 games

19 minutes ago, yvj said:

I'm not saying he didn't do anything wrong. However it has to be considered that the verifiable evidence against him must be weak. 

If the evidence is weak for whatever reason then it what t is. 

We have due process in this country.  Obviously the accusers were either not credible or just flat out had contradictions in their stories.  You can not destroy someone’s career based on a screenshot of him asking if a masseuse “focuses on the glute area”

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

The Karens who are obsessed with Watson getting a lifetime ban based on nonsense the grand jury wouldn’t even indict him on need to get a life

They can “fill in the gaps” watching Zach Wilson try to evolve into a mediocre game manager next year I guess

Did someone actually say lifetime ban ?? 

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

I disagree here. You think the NFL would enjoy / be pleased with the optics if they are interviewing Watson after he was awarded a super bowl mvp?  Would be a PR nightmare. From what I saw, the NFL wanted a 12 game to a full season suspension. It would of been better for the NFL if another season would of passed before he started playing again.

well .. they have the chance now to up the suspension to a season if they wish.

Edited by Dunnie

9 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

We have due process in this country.  Obviously the accusers were either not credible or just flat out had contradictions in their stories.  You can not destroy someone’s career based on a screenshot of him asking if a masseuse “focuses on the glute area”

The molestation defender has logged back in with some more incredibly sh*tty takes.

• Upvote 4

10 minutes ago, Dwight Englewood said:

BTW, didn't you claim to be a lawyer, Jamie?

For those interested, here’s Mays interviewing Jenny Vrentas, who is the only journalist who did any actual work on this story. Vrentas is very matter of fact and breaks it all down. Mays is acting like Kennedy got shot. Good listen overall.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-athletic-football-show-a-show-about-the-nfl/id1528622068?i=1000574665809

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

For those interested, here’s Mays interviewing Jenny Vrentas, who is the only journalist who did any actual work on this story. Vrentas is very matter of fact and breaks it all down. Mays is acting like Kennedy got shot. Good listen overall.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-athletic-football-show-a-show-about-the-nfl/id1528622068?i=1000574665809

I completely agree with May's assessment ... the Brown's made a bet and it paid off.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Trotter said:

I really don't think the NFL cares but they are playing the odds here and in my opinion in on the whole result. The Browns are not a super bowl team and the nfl knows that - so your point of them not wanting to present a trophy this year is valid - but the NFL is smart enough to know that is not reality.

Now factor in the contract - 1 mil this year and 40 mil next. Even if the NFL wanted 12 games - it is a better optic but does not affect Deshawn monetarily in any way.

The NFL has played this perfectly (although disgusting) in if they decide to extend the suspension - it is for their benefit only and they come out looking like the good buy and tried to do the right thing.

Like I said disgusting - but expected. 

Just because you think the browns aren’t a super bowl contender doesn’t make it true. The browns have one of the most talented teams in the league. The bengals proved last year that anyone can get into the game. Nobody can say or can’t say who can win. With that being said,  Watson and his team knew a suspension was coming. They knew the ranges. That contract was negotiated knowing that. That’s why there was little money in this years figure. The NFL cares too much about their image, they don’t care about nickels and dimes. They can give two sh*ts about Watson and his money. The NFL likes positivity and a squeaky clean image, Watson doesn’t help with that. Your opinion is what it is, but I think from what I’ve seen, the NFL would have perfered he was hidden away for the 2022 season.

4 hours ago, Greensleeves said:

I don't believe this is true. ESPN this morning said  the judge was appointed by both the NFL and the PA - so impartial.

True.  And only the NFLPA has come pout and said they support it.

Roger might as well, but the league's response is they are weighing on whether they want to appeal.

2 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

There is so much wrong with this b post.... I just can't...

2 hours ago, Dwight Englewood said:

Not all of the victims have been paid off through due process.  I believe there are still 4 cases pending.  

Not sure who the mediator was mediating for?  The NFL players association represented Watson.  The NFL represented the Browns. 

Just now, bgivs21 said:

Then why 6 games my guy. 

I don’t know what the answer is. Watson is 100% a creep with zero sense of reality and thinks he’s above the law. But there haven’t been criminal charges either. Can you kick him out of football? What’s the proper punishment?

7 minutes ago, bgivs21 said:

Then why 6 games my guy. 

Also go **** yourself. I never defended sexual assault but made my opinions based off of what was presented. Also 6 games for sexual assault, hmmm. 

Fair, I apologize - I misremembered you as someone else. You were just the one aggressively insisting 6 games must mean he didn't do much wrong.

She gave him 6 games because it was "non-violent" and he used to have a good reputation. No joke.

Will have a twitter thread reading the decision later today, the decision itself is here https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/25/2022/08/In-re-Deshaun-Watson.pdf 

7 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I don’t know what the answer is. Watson is 100% a creep with zero sense of reality and thinks he’s above the law. But there haven’t been criminal charges either. Can you kick him out of football? What’s the proper punishment?

Honestly, for "he deliberately sexually assaulted someone" - abso-effing-lutely yes

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Amazing that after 2 grand juries dismissed and a highly qualified FEMALE judge ruled that the evidence is weak, a bunch of football dudes know better.  She had 1000s of pages to review, but you know better.  Ok 

You are utterly incapable of reading

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, DetroitRed said:

Amazing that after 2 grand juries dismissed and a highly qualified FEMALE judge ruled that the evidence is weak, a bunch of football dudes know better.  She had 1000s of pages to review, but you know better.  Ok 

Not what I got from her quote

• Upvote 2

43 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

I think he has a great sense of reality.  He has been handsomely rewarded for his behavior.   He's new contract pays him 80 million more than his Houston contract.  It's strutured so that the suspension cost him 300K.  He can pay off all his victims and have plenty left over from his Houston contract.

They could have investigated before anyone offered him a contract.  The Browns aren't part of the players association.  They are part off the league.  The commissioner works for the owners.

How do you have a mediation between the owners who investigated and represent the Browns and the players association who represents Watson.  Who is representing the victims in the mediation? 

The NFL didn't go to mediation asking that he be banned from the league.  They proably asked for 12 to 17 games.  The victims aren't party to the mediation.

How about making him give the 80 million he made forcing his way out of Houston into a victims fund to start?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Biggs said:

I think he has a great sense of reality.  He has been handsomely rewarded for his behavior.   He's new contract pays him 80 million more than his Houston contract.  It's strutured so that the suspension cost him 300K.  He can pay off all his victims and have plenty left over from his Houston contract.

Fair point. Maybe he knew he was above the law the whole time.

Just now, Biggs said:

They could have investigated before anyone offered him a contract.  The Browns aren't part of the players association.  They are part off the league.  The commissioner works for the owners.

How do you have a mediation between the owners who investigated and represent the Browns and the players association who represents Watson.  Who is representing the victims in the mediation? 

The NFL didn't go to mediation asking that he be banned from the league.  They proably asked for 12 to 17 games.  The victims aren't party to the mediation.

They wanted an indefinite suspension, from which Watson could apply for reinstatement after a year

58 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

Every law enforcement or legal entity who spent any amount of time dealing with this case has all but thrown it to the curb. Hard to see Roger’s incentive to end up in federal court because Florio is ginning up some Twitter outrage. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Doggin94it said:

They wanted an indefinite suspension, from which Watson could apply for reinstatement after a year

If this is about the NFL maintiaing their reputation, the Browns should be on the hook with Watson.  The Browns aren't subject to the NFL players rules.  The Browns ownership along with Houston's ownership have enabled Watson to stain the NFL shield.   They should provide funds to the victims.  An appropriate share of what they paid Watson.

If Watson is being suspended for behavior detrimental to the league why aren't the owners paying through the nose?

1 hour ago, extmenace said:

Just because you think the browns aren’t a super bowl contender doesn’t make it true. The browns have one of the most talented teams in the league. The bengals proved last year that anyone can get into the game. Nobody can say or can’t say who can win. With that being said,  Watson and his team knew a suspension was coming. They knew the ranges. That contract was negotiated knowing that. That’s why there was little money in this years figure. The NFL cares too much about their image, they don’t care about nickels and dimes. They can give two sh*ts about Watson and his money. The NFL likes positivity and a squeaky clean image, Watson doesn’t help with that. Your opinion is what it is, but I think from what I’ve seen, the NFL would have perfered he was hidden away for the 2022 season.

The Bengal argument is valid however, the odds are the Browns were and are not going to that team this year. 

The main difference in our opinion is the image of the NFL.

There is no squeaky clean image. That has been got for many years. The NFL cares about one thing - making money. If they think there is an opportunity to make money by exploiting the return of Watson this year - you can bet they are all in. The owners for the most part are billionaires who care about making money. Most if not all of them could care less about their players and fans - except the Mara's and their generous giveaway of medium soda's last year.