Training Camp Updates: Jets-Falcons Joint Practice #1

Lith

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

33 minutes ago, sourceworx said:

I've noticed that the Canadians are absolutely swooning over him because he's one of them. Pretty cool.

I also saw a few Winnipeg games. Their QB might be better than Rourke is. He's impressive.

Zach Collaros is pretty good but more of a competent game manager.  Winnipeg has a terrific team again this year.  My team the Edmonton Elks stink.

8 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

I think we can hold off on that until the season actually starts. Zach was doing just fine in practices too.

I went to camp a few times. Seemed like Zach was still staring down receivers and going to Conklin a lot. Joe seems to open the field more 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Perhaps, but it wasn't exactly humming vs Philly.  :)

I don't think the Eagles were exactly pulling out all the stops defensively in preseason drives #1 and #2.

That INT was not exactly encouraging.

Name one that is... when your team is throwing it. 

1 hour ago, fullblast said:

Yeah I get that everyone wants to see Wilson on the field but I really just want to see what this offense can do with competent QB play. For once, we don't need to rely on a savior at the QB position to elevate the offense. Just someone who can get the ball into the hands of our playmakers. I wouldn't mind at all if he sat the first month of the year just so we can really see what the other 10 guys are capable of.

Zach Wilson is the better QB.  He will better showcase the team than 37 year old Joe Flacco.

• Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

Lets say Flacco rips the ravens and browns. Wilson struggles vs Cin and Pit... 

that's the worst case scenario... there's 52 other players and 10 other ppl on offense who will not have the patience if Zach can not turn on the engines and Flacco demonstrates that the offense can score points and win games

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Zach Wilson is the better QB.  He will better showcase the team than 37 year old Joe Flacco.

I’m not someone who puts a lot of emphasis on preseason good or bad but that pick Wilson threw was so brutal…against a preseason vanilla D…

then the boneheaded decision to not run out of bounds and almost obliterate his knee.

It makes you worry a bit and wonder if Flacco starting the first few games is the better decision.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Flacco has won a superbowl. Zach blew his knee trying to juke a defender. This statement is obtuse.

Zach has more potential currently (oodles of it, to be honest). That's all, though. No HC would tie their team to Flacco over Wilson at this stage... but the conversation still needs to be Wilson doing something to put this team on his back. 

• Upvote 2

You have to not only think about developing the QB but the rest of your offensive pieces as well.
You want to give guys like Moore and Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall every opportunity to thrive in a good offense.
And in terms of "culture", nothing builds a winning culture better than....winning.
Aaron Rodgers developed just fine for 3 years quietly honing his craft in practices behind the scenes.  He only saw limited action in real games.
Patrick Mahomes sat out his entire rookie year except for a meaningless week 17 start.
There is an argument to made that if you play a guy too early (when he's not ready), he gets scarred and beat-up and falls into too many bad habits.
Wilson is already injured again and has the embarrassment of his own version of the NE Darnold "seeing ghosts" game on his resume.
... cant wait to see Zach thrive in this juggernaut

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Spoot-Face said:

The bold is what worries me. Another year of him working through the same rookie mistakes would not bode well for his development. The narrative (and one that I generally subscribe to) is that he worked on and improved upon those kind issues in the 2nd half of last year (including that massive overthrow), but that narrative starts to deteriorate if those same issues begin to surface again. I know, it's only preseason, yadda yadda yadda. But while there's still time for him to improve, a red flag like that can't be ignored, and anyone who shows concern over it is not "just a Zach hater".

This is very fair. And not just "Zach's a bust and a bad pass proves it - we need to trade him now."

If you want to say you saw concerns with that overthrow and then a terrible read - but recognize it was actually a pre-season and doesn't mean a whole lot of anything- yet you have concerns. I don't think that's Zach hater.  

I'll be right there with you if he reverts back to dirting balls, throwing 10 yard ins on WR's back hips and flailing 10 yard outs.  

That initial series was bad, but the second series he made a couple of nice throws (that were right on the money - which frankly we didn't see a whole of during the first half of the year - he was rarely right on target). Even the run was a smart choice to take off and use his athleticism, it was stupid not just running out of bounds though.

Zach is going to continue to make mistakes, plenty of them - and we can and should look at them - but we also shouldn't just ignore the positive.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

12 minutes ago, Adoni Beast said:

I’m not someone who puts a lot of emphasis on preseason good or bad but that pick Wilson threw was so brutal…against a preseason vanilla D…

then the boneheaded decision to not run out of bounds and almost obliterate his knee.

It makes you worry a bit and wonder if Flacco starting the first few games is the better decision.

Fair enough.

The INT was a bad read - I think it was likely a pre-snap read-as he was looking one way - put his eyes back and fired, without even really looking.  bad choice, but not a bad throw.  Not good but something he can clean up.

The knee thing though, while I agree he should have run out of bounds.  But he had space inside, wasn't like he ran into contact.  seems like a pretty basic cut - if he can't count on his knee holding up with a basic cut - he won't last long in this league.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

Yes... yes he is and will be for the foreseeable future

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I hope that proves to be true in the foreseeable future.  For now Zach Wilson has to prove he's not the NFL's worst QB, which is where his performance in his rookie season placed him.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is very fair. And not just "Zach's a bust and a bad pass proves it - we need to trade him now."

If you want to say you saw concerns with that overthrow and then a terrible read - but recognize it was actually a pre-season and doesn't mean a whole lot of anything- yet you have concerns. I don't think that's Zach hater.  

I'll be right there with you if he reverts back to dirting balls, throwing 10 yard ins on WR's back hips and flailing 10 yard outs.  

That initial series was bad, but the second series he made a couple of nice throws (that were right on the money - which frankly we didn't see a whole of during the first half of the year - he was rarely right on target). Even the run was a smart choice to take off and use his athleticism, it was stupid not just running out of bounds though.

Zach is going to continue to make mistakes, plenty of them - and we can and should look at them - but we also shouldn't just ignore the positive.

I think most people talking about trading Zach are being tounge-in-cheek, but for the few that may be serious because they believe he's a lost cause, while I'm not there yet myself, I don't exactly blame them for coming to that conclusion based off what we've seen from him, and from the history of QBs busting. Zach has quite the uphill battle to prove that he's not just another in a long line of Jets QB busts, and potential doesn't mean squat in this league without production, and, so far, Zach has only one of those.

His play was concerning, but I won't recognize that it doesn't mean a whole lot of anything because it's preseason. That mantra really only applies to over performers because the level of competition is so low in comparison to regular season. But, when someone struggles against that low level of competition, it most definitely should be concerning and shouldn't be brushed off as meaningless.

Even on his completions, Zach seemed to be staring down his receivers a lot (which was also true on the interception). Even if that doesn't result in a negative play, that's still a bad habit that he needs to shake off. Still early in his career, yes, but shouldn't be brushed off.

It feels like searching for the positives in his game is like a Where's Waldo book, lol. I'll give you that he has a LOT of potential. More than any other QB on this roster. But Geno Smith had a lot of potential, too, as did Darnold, and that didn't seem to help them. It's up to Zach to prove to us that he can take the step that they didn't. You act like he already has, with statements like "he's the best QB on the roster". And he's just not.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, David Harris said:

Buuuuuttt, if we’re thinking Super Bowl and not competency than you have to get the young uncapped ceiling QB out there to grow.  Part of me wants to have Joe out there so I can enjoy competent competitive games. But the Longview is to get Zach back out there.

Streveler.

32 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

The knee thing though, while I agree he should have run out of bounds.  But he had space inside, wasn't like he ran into contact.  seems like a pretty basic cut - if he can't count on his knee holding up with a basic cut - he won't last long in this league.

Yes.

I had predraft concerns about Wilson being made of glass.

While the checkups at combine may show Wilson is "100%" and "all systems go", I don't know how you ignore / dismiss the injury history, slender frame, and how his freewheeling play style might not translate to the NFL when you are talking the #2 overall pick.

Wilson not only had the shoulder injury supposedly from "overthrowing".  He also injured his hand sort of trying to make a tackle after a bad INT.  If you watch the replay on it, there was barely any contact.

With Fields, for example, we all saw him take a brutal hit in the Natty semi, get some Miyagi treatment at the half or whatever, come back and not only play through it but dominate.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

49 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

There are people taking the under on our 5.5 and saying we will be near the top of the draft  next year. Don’t want to hear about light competition re: the Falcons. According to a lot of experts, we’re supposed to be the light competition

Not to mention the Falcons coasted to a victory against the Jets in London last season. Matt Ryan completely carved up this defense.

17 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Yes.

I had predraft concerns about Wilson being made of glass.

While the checkups at combine may show Wilson is "100%" and "all systems go", I don't know how you ignore / dismiss the injury history, slender frame, and how his freewheeling play style might not translate to the NFL when you are talking the #2 overall pick.

Wilson not only had the shoulder injury supposedly from "overthrowing".  He also injured his hand sort of trying to make a tackle after a bad INT.  If you watch the replay on it, there was barely any contact.

With Fields, for example, we all saw him take a brutal hit in the Natty semi, get some Miyagi treatment at the half or whatever, come back and not only play through it but dominate.

Wilson and Becton are both examples of JD outsmarting himself.  

I think you have to consider whether a prospect is constructed like the player you want him to be.  

In the end, Wilson does not really look like and NFL QB and Becton does not really look like a NFL LT.  

Fields looks the part, but I think there are issues whether his game translates to the NFL.  Let's see how Lance does. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, FidelioJet said:

Fair enough.

The INT was a bad read - I think it was likely a pre-snap read-as he was looking one way - put his eyes back and fired, without even really looking.  bad choice, but not a bad throw.  Not good but something he can clean up.

Even more reason to worry lol.