Training Camp Updates: Jets-Falcons Joint Practice #1

Lith

6 minutes ago, Jets512 said:

Funny how you “didn’t want to overreact” to the reports of Zach having plenty of good practices this training camp. Weird how that works. 

I realize it's premature.  But to be fair, it's not just this joint practice.

The offense has by all accounts been humming every practice since Wilson went down.

The same sort of thing happened last season.

Zach Wilson was killing drives bouncing passes and trying to play hero ball.

He did play better after returning from injury.  But that's been overstated in my opinion.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

I have to give Streveler credit.  I thought he was a real bum QB from his days in the CFL.  Guy could run but not throw a lick, but he has looked very good in camp so far.

Knowing that you're a CFL fan, what are your thoughts on Nathan Rourke? I've caught a few BC Lions games, and the kid looks legit. He looks a little undersized, but I could see an NFL bringing him in for a look.

13 minutes ago, kdels62 said:

Last year the Jets looked overmatched in practice. This year the team is overwhelming a team that beat us last year. Plenty of good to take from that. Even if it means the Jets are merely a 7-win team, that’s substantial progress.

Jets put a lot of effort into improving this offseason and Falcons are trying to take a step back to take two steps forward, they should be better than the Falcons. Don’t think last year’s game is a huge factor.

I certainly get it’s not bad and the team’s progressing, I also don’t know if I’d make the leap to being better than the Falcons = 7 win team which perhaps explains the perspective disparity.

It’s also one practice, even a tick different if they stack it tomorrow.

And as I’ve brought up a couple times, definitely some nice individual player snippets today.

• Thumb Down 1

Just now, sourceworx said:

Knowing that you're a CFL fan, what are your thoughts on Nathan Rourke? I've caught a few BC Lions games, and the kid looks legit. He looks a little undersized, but I could see an NFL bringing him in for a look.

He looks sensational this year.  A bit Doug Flutie esque.  He has absolutely destroyed my home town team, Edmonton, twice.

Size will be a limiting factor but he will get an NFL call sooner or later.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, derp said:

Call me negative but I don’t know if beating up on Atlanta is a good sign or just not a bad sign.

Moore beating their solid corners is nice though, and I saw a few PBU’s with Pitts as the intended receiver and could’ve seen him running wild today, he’s a freak.

they beat the Jets last year.  Tired of all this negative crap.  Next week when the Jets are beating the tar out of the midgets people on here will be saying the same things....

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Houston is a much better team then ATL... I bet they win at least 6 games this year... ATL, SEA, NYG, and CHI are easily the worst in the league...

You’d make some decent money on Houston >= 6 wins.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Don't want to overreact to one joint practice, but this is the same sort of thing that happened last year when Wilson was injured and MFW, Flacco, and even Josh Johnson stepped in.

The offense came to life.

Only difference now is there are even more weapons. 

So instead of a rusted-out Datsun, you are asking Zach Wilson to drive something closer to a Maserati or even Ferrari.

When will Saleh realize that Wilson is holding this team back right now?

He may develop into something down the line, but they have to stop with this nonsense of hypothetical "development" at the cost of winning football games.

Buuuuuttt, if we’re thinking Super Bowl and not competency than you have to get the young uncapped ceiling QB out there to grow.  Part of me wants to have Joe out there so I can enjoy competent competitive games. But the Longview is to get Zach back out there.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

1 minute ago, FidelioJet said:

Nah.

Difference is, I'm happy to see the Jets do well and would prefer to focus on this exciting practice than steer this thread into another Zach Wilson sucks thread.

Just look at the post proceding the first Zach sucks post - we're off on the tangent already.  There are plenty of places to express that Zach Wilson sucks.  Can't we enjoy this one for a while?

No... The Jets suck, don'tcha know.... We have to point out the flaws... As to why they succeed, the other team sucks... Zach sucks because Flacco is doing well, thats how it works.... Saleh is bad because there is fights... JD is bad because some 3rd stringer gave up a TD to Pitts, so he doesn't know how to draft...

Losers... They are all losers and we should praise the heavens to win 4 games this year.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 minute ago, Legend Killa7 said:

they beat the Jets last year.  Tired of all this negative crap.  Next week when the Jets are beating the tar out of the midgets people on here will be saying the same things....

Jets and Falcons had remarkably different offseasons. One built, one tore down.

I think people tired of negative stuff are overly sensitive. Read my innocuous post as “how much can be taken from being better than one of the worst teams in the league in one practice?” and as a question not a statement.

• Upvote 1
  • Thumb Down 2

10 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Zach Wilson gives this team the best chance to win.  

it's the Zach haters.  they don't like Zach and want the Jets to get the #1 pick in next year's draft to get ANOTHER top 3 QB in 5 years.  So let's put Flacco or even better, MFW out there so the Jets can get that #1 pick!

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 2
  • Post of the Week 1

33 minutes ago, derp said:

My perspective is that Atlanta is terrible and pretty much any team besides Houston should beat up on them. Playing to a stalemate would’ve been bad, so we don’t have that. But I don’t know if we can take away much more than the Jets shouldn’t be one of the worst couple teams in the league.

I added to the post too, I do think there are some individual positive takeaways. I’m just not so sure about the macro being overly meaningful.

Would you prefer to see Flacco throw a few picks? Maybe that would help.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, derp said:

You’d make some decent money on Houston >= 6 wins.

They have a great OL... Mills is better then people advertise... they have decent WRs... Pierce looks like a steal at RB... and they have a decent defense... they are not an easy team to beat.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The offense was humming in practice before he went down, too.

I think he had a perfect day on his birthday and then went like 13/16 or something like that. 

But, I know - narratives must persist! 

Perhaps, but it wasn't exactly humming vs Philly.  :)

I don't think the Eagles were exactly pulling out all the stops defensively in preseason drives #1 and #2.

That INT was not exactly encouraging.

• WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, FTL Jet Fan said:

Would you prefer to see Flacco throw a few picks? Maybe that would help.

Yeah you definitely got the underlying perspective behind the question I have. Well thought out. Very clever.

I’ll answer seriously, too. Hopefully Flacco’s performance has no impact on the Jets’ outlook for this season.

20 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Don't want to overreact to one joint practice, but this is the same sort of thing that happened last year when Wilson was injured and MFW, Flacco, and even Josh Johnson stepped in.

The offense came to life.

Only difference now is there are even more weapons. 

So instead of a rusted-out Datsun, you are asking Zach Wilson to drive something closer to a Maserati or even Ferrari.

When will Saleh realize that Wilson is holding this team back right now?

He may develop into something down the line, but they have to stop with this nonsense of hypothetical "development" at the cost of winning football games.

The notable difference between the offense under Wilson and the offense without Wilson is that it seems more receivers get involved when it’s not Wilson. Even the camp reports told that story—it seemed like the only guy catching passes early on was Tyler Conklin, then that dynamic went away with Wilson out. 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 minute ago, Skeptable said:

They have a great OL... Mills is better then people advertise... they have decent WRs... Pierce looks like a steal at RB... and they have a decent defense... they are not an easy team to beat.

I know they have a little talent. They’re also sitting with Atlanta as the two teams with the lowest projected win total in the league, not seriously trying to put a winning product on the field right now, and run by that goofball from New England.

42 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Not true 

you don’t put valuable players on specials because of the injury risk, this is common sense tbh 

So what you’re saying is that if no one played, no one would ever get injured.  Especially on specials, they’re not important.  Solid thinking.  
Too bad the NFL isn’t played with 75 man rosters.  Or hasn’t gotten rid of STs

1 minute ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

I don't think the Eagles were exactly pulling out all the stops defensively in preseason drives #1 and #2.

That INT was not exactly encouraging.

He was overexcited... you could see it on his first throw airmailing it over wilson... later he just was trying to just move it and forgot to watch a LB... rookie mistake... You have to remember how much pressure is on this kid and he is working hard... yes he looked terrible... but if he didn't get hurt I think he would have calmed down for this next pre-season game... The kid is still young... he is allowed to make mistakes as long as he gets better.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

“What I said was completely inaccurate/misleading, so let me throw something else against the wall”

yes, Wilson sucked against Philly, but he also had put together a bunch of good practices in a row before that, so your initial statement was poopy 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 minutes ago, derp said:

I know they have a little talent. They’re also sitting with Atlanta as the two teams with the lowest projected win total in the league, not seriously trying to put a winning product on the field right now, and run by that goofball from New England.

Ok but undermining their performance because they are practicing against a terrible team is dumb... They played better... they essentially beat their opponent, who cares how good the other team is. The players didn't choose to play this team...