Training Camp Updates: Jets-Falcons Joint Practice #1

Lith

7 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The notable difference between the offense under Wilson and the offense without Wilson is that it seems more receivers get involved when it’s not Wilson. Even the camp reports told that story—it seemed like the only guy catching passes early on was Tyler Conklin, then that dynamic went away with Wilson out. 

I noticed this as well.

Good if he has some rapport with the starting TE, but otherwise a bit concerning.

Last season, Zach (at times) appeared to be in the habit of forcing the ball to Corey Davis.

• Upvote 2

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

The notable difference between the offense under Wilson and the offense without Wilson is that it seems more receivers get involved when it’s not Wilson. Even the camp reports told that story—it seemed like the only guy catching passes early on was Tyler Conklin, then that dynamic went away with Wilson out. 

What is unfortunate about Zach not being out there and seeing Flacco find Moore on some sick routes, is seeing if they've improved on their obvious lack of chemistry last year.  We already knew Flacco could push it down field to Moore based on the breakout game vs. the Fins.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The offense was humming in practice before he went down, too.

I think he had a perfect day on his birthday and then went like 13/16 or something like that. 

But, I know - narratives must persist! 

Please get out of here with facts. They have no place here. 

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

So what you’re saying is that if no one played, no one would ever get injured.  Especially on specials, they’re not important.  Solid thinking.  
Too bad the NFL isn’t played with 75 man rosters.  Or hasn’t gotten rid of STs

Bro you literally come on here every day to be that “opposing voice” in the room.

Go sit your a** down and have a hot chocolate, okay ? 

31 minutes ago, Warfish said:

The best QB, playing the best, and who gives us the TRUE best chance to win THAT GAME, should play.

Enough with the "planning for 2025" mentality.

Play to win every game.  Things will proceed form there by it's natural couse.

The best WILL rise to the top, in time.

And that’s never happening with a team rebuild and developing a QB.  A backup who fans think can win maybe a couple of extra games at the expense of developing a team is meaningless to an org. 

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

Ok but undermining their performance because they are practicing against a terrible team is dumb... They played better... they essentially beat their opponent, who cares how good the other team is. The players didn't choose to play this team...

I referred to being people being overly sensitive to what they perceive as negativity in another post I believe you downvoted, and I genuinely don’t think I’m undermining anything by asking how much we can take away from this practice - which is one I genuinely don’t know the answer to, and I don’t think anyone does.

The takeaway is that the Jets were better than the Falcons in one practice. I think there are teams that will go 14-3 that would soundly beat the Falcons in a practice and I also think there are teams that will go 5-12 this year that would soundly beat the Falcons in a practice. So it just leaves the result in a really wide range. Maybe I’m the low person on the latter. Sounds like I am.

I’m okay with that, I prefer thinking of things in wider ranges because that jives with reality. When the Jets have a bad practice I probably think the ceiling of how good they can be is higher than the prevailing opinion too. It cuts both ways because I try not to overreact, it’s just cutting this way today.

It also took me like 5 hours today and well after the first few posts to realize I’m not getting anything done and feel like **** because I have a migraine, so I’m not exactly firing on all cylinders today.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

The offense was humming in practice before he went down, too.

I think he had a perfect day on his birthday and then went like 13/16 or something like that. 

But, I know - narratives must persist! 

apples to oranges.  Joint practices are a total different beast.  Sadly, the only time we've seen/heard about Zach vs. a different team was against Philly, which was not humming.  No biggie, doesnt mean much but not comparable really.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

And that’s never happening with a team rebuild and developing a QB.  A backup who fans think can win maybe a couple of extra games at the expense of developing a team is meaningless to an org. 

You have to not only think about developing the QB but the rest of your offensive pieces as well.

You want to give guys like Moore and Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall every opportunity to thrive in a good offense.

And in terms of "culture", nothing builds a winning culture better than....winning.

Aaron Rodgers developed just fine for 3 years quietly honing his craft in practices behind the scenes.  He only saw limited action in real games.

Patrick Mahomes sat out his entire rookie year except for a meaningless week 17 start.

There is an argument to made that if you play a guy too early (when he's not ready), he gets scarred and beat-up and falls into too many bad habits.

Wilson is already injured again and has the embarrassment of his own version of the NE Darnold "seeing ghosts" game on his resume.

10 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Bro you literally come on here every day to be that “opposing voice” in the room.

Go sit your a** down and have a hot chocolate, okay ? 

You mean for not agreeing with the totally absurd belief that a rookie should not be allowed to play STs?  
It’s how it’s been since I started watching the game, not just to be an opposing voice, anymore than the others who took an opposing view

2 minutes ago, Jet Nut said:

You mean for not agreeing with the totally absurd belief that a rookie should not be allowed to play STs?  
It’s how it’s been since I started watching the game, not just to be an opposing voice, anymore than the others who took an opposing view

No

a rookie who is showing high upside at being a good pass rusher, on a team who hasn’t had a good pass rusher in 1 million years,  should not be playing on specials IMO 

is that so hard to understand????? 

4 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

You have to not only think about developing the QB but the rest of your offensive pieces as well.

You want to give guys like Moore and Garrett Wilson and Breece Hall every opportunity to thrive in a good offense.

And in terms of "culture", nothing builds a winning culture better than....winning.

Aaron Rodgers developed just fine for 3 years quietly honing his craft in practices behind the scenes.  He only saw limited action in real games.

Patrick Mahomes sat out his entire rookie year except for a meaningless week 17 start.

There is an even an argument to made that if you play a guy too early (when he's not ready), he gets scarred and beat-up and falls into too many bad habits.  David Carr is an example of this. 

Wilson is already injured again and has the embarrassment of his own version of the NE Darnold "seeing ghosts" game on his resume.

Other than the QB is by far the most important piece to the puzzle.  Or that WRs, RBs etc develop by playing.  If a pass is errant a WR still develops.  
Rodgers didn’t play because Favre was good and GB was a playoff team. Mahomes didn’t play because they had Smith shot them to the playoffs.  Neither was a 4 win team trying to get better with a backup that may win a game or two more than the QB they’re trying to develop.  
Jax, Chicago, 49s as the shining example are all go with kids they want to develop.  
And last year is meaningless, not person can assuredly that Wilson can’t win as many games this year as others by assuming he’s learned nothing.  

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Skeptable said:

He was overexcited... you could see it on his first throw airmailing it over wilson... later he just was trying to just move it and forgot to watch a LB... rookie mistake... You have to remember how much pressure is on this kid and he is working hard... yes he looked terrible... but if he didn't get hurt I think he would have calmed down for this next pre-season game... The kid is still young... he is allowed to make mistakes as long as he gets better.

The bold is what worries me. Another year of him working through the same rookie mistakes would not bode well for his development. The narrative (and one that I generally subscribe to) is that he worked on and improved upon those kind issues in the 2nd half of last year (including that massive overthrow), but that narrative starts to deteriorate if those same issues begin to surface again. I know, it's only preseason, yadda yadda yadda. But while there's still time for him to improve, a red flag like that can't be ignored, and anyone who shows concern over it is not "just a Zach hater".

1 hour ago, oatmeal said:

No

a rookie who is showing high upside at being a good pass rusher, on a team who hasn’t had a good pass rusher in 1 million years,  should not be playing on specials IMO 

is that so hard to understand????? 

I understand what you’ve said twice now.  It’s just wrong and not how the game is played.  You don’t sacrifice 1/3 of your units because you’re afraid playing will lead to injuries, just because.  
Teams that have garbage rosters and start 4th round draft picks because no one is in front of them leads to having to play FAs and other players with little ability and their specials will usually suck.  Something Westhoff complained about

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

The bold is what worries me. Another year of him working through the same rookie mistakes would not bode well for his development. The narrative (and one that I generally subscribe to) is that he worked on and improved upon those kind issues in the 2nd half of last year (including that massive overthrow), but that narrative starts to deteriorate if those same issues begin to surface again. I know, it's only preseason, yadda yadda yadda. But while there's still time for him to improve, a red flag like that can't be ignored, and anyone who shows concern over it is not "just a Zach hater".

Last year he always seemed to come into games with a little jitter early on and sometimes would settle in and play better. It wouldn't surprise me if whatever that is was all that was going on in the few snaps of live action he took. 

Him getting injured so quickly sucks because we have no answers. Just a few bad plays that look a lot like his bad plays last year. And a bunch of FlAcCo = TeStaVeRDe??? threads.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Last year he always seemed to come into games with a little jitter and sometimes would settle in and play better. It wouldn't surprise me if whatever that is was all that was going on in the few snaps of live action he took.

Maybe. Perhaps he would've bounced back, but then the injury happened. That's why his boneheaded decision to run and juke a defender bums me out more than the overthrow or interception, because now we're gonna have to wait until live action before seeing whether or not that was fluke Wilson* or who he is. I would've loved to see how he responded the rest of preseason, and in these joint practices.

*Not to be confused with Fluke Wilson, the lesser known and unsuccessful brother of Luke and Owen.

1 hour ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Don't want to overreact to one joint practice, but this is the same sort of thing that happened last year when Wilson was injured and MFW, Flacco, and even Josh Johnson stepped in.

The offense came to life.

Only difference now is there are even more weapons. 

So instead of a rusted-out Datsun, you are asking Zach Wilson to drive something closer to a Maserati or even Ferrari.

When will Saleh realize that Wilson is holding this team back right now?

He may develop into something down the line, but they have to stop with this nonsense of hypothetical "development" at the cost of winning football games.

Yeah I get that everyone wants to see Wilson on the field but I really just want to see what this offense can do with competent QB play. For once, we don't need to rely on a savior at the QB position to elevate the offense. Just someone who can get the ball into the hands of our playmakers. I wouldn't mind at all if he sat the first month of the year just so we can really see what the other 10 guys are capable of.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

He looks sensational this year.  A bit Doug Flutie esque.  He has absolutely destroyed my home town team, Edmonton, twice.

Size will be a limiting factor but he will get an NFL call sooner or later.

I've noticed that the Canadians are absolutely swooning over him because he's one of them. Pretty cool.

I also saw a few Winnipeg games. Their QB might be better than Rourke is. He's impressive.

39 minutes ago, JiFapono said:

apples to oranges.  Joint practices are a total different beast.  Sadly, the only time we've seen/heard about Zach vs. a different team was against Philly, which was not humming.  No biggie, doesnt mean much but not comparable really.

I feel like I haven't seen this, but them actually being able to have Kyle Pitts not run hog wild on them is a definite step forward. Albeit it's mariota.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, fullblast said:

Yeah I get that everyone wants to see Wilson on the field but I really just want to see what this offense can do with competent QB play. For once, we don't need to rely on a savior at the QB position to elevate the offense. Just someone who can get the ball into the hands of our playmakers. I wouldn't mind at all if he sat the first month of the year just so we can really see what the other 10 guys are capable of.

so...you're perfectly happy with similar production to the 2001 through 2006 Jets?  I loved Chad, but man those teams were a QB away.  Chad was competent.  begore his first injury, he was better than competent. 

why waste the potential of this YOUNG TEAM on a "has been".  sorry.  and I am not being disrespectful to Flacco.  Just being realistic.  Flacco playing 1, 2, even 7 good games with this team does absolutely NOTHING for the Jets organization.  or its fans.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Legend Killa7 said:

so...you're perfectly happy with similar production to the 2001 through 2006 Jets?  I loved Chad, but man those teams were a QB away.  Chad was competent.  begore his first injury, he was better than competent. 

why waste the potential of this YOUNG TEAM on a "has been".  sorry.  and I am not being disrespectful to Flacco.  Just being realistic.  Flacco playing 1, 2, even 7 good games with this team does absolutely NOTHING for the Jets organization.  or its fans.

I'm saying that *right now* Flacco is a better QB than Zach Wilson and gives the team a better chance to win games. I get that we need to have an eye toward the future, but Wilson is honestly handicapping the rest of the offense. He will play sooner rather than later, but I have no problem with someone else running the show for a bit,

37 minutes ago, Spoot-Face said:

first game action in a long time... If it was 3rd game of the season I understand... 2nd drive... come on now... This kid has so much pressure on him... I would be pissed if it was halfway through the first game I could understand... pre-season 2nd drive on a hopped up excited team that he is just itching to prove the doubters wrong...

He is going to make a ton of other mistakes... he just needs to grow and calm himself down... if he does that I think we will see a big jump from him. Most people have already sold him off as a bust 12 games through a Rookie season... This is why kids used to sit for 3 years before they started...

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

Pretty sure he's a Packers fan.

WkHy1PtD_400x400.jpg

Now you’ve done it!!  3 Hail Mary’s and a generous check made out to the Catholic Church and you’ll be forgiven.

Btw, don’t know why people keep claiming Zach suffered a non contact injury.  If you watch slowly after a few puffs of state approved medicinal marijuana, you can kind of see a shadow of Jesus tripping him up while the Easter Bunny twists at his knee.