Generational Trevor?

Shelbyblue

5 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

why you people seem so incredulous that this is even possible naive.  Look around this kind of sh*t happens all the time

https://www.insider.com/college-admissions-scandal-full-list-people-sentenced-2019-9

granted not related but before this happened, if it was even suggested that it is happening people like you would arguing the virtues of the college administrators of the world.  Fact is only 1% of the 1% of this ever got caught and we will never know what made them pick Zach.

We will never know who picked the consensus top 3 QB prospect at number 2 overall. 

• Haha 2

19 minutes ago, SickJetFan said:

and what made him the consensus top 3? people mock drafting to Jets or 49ers...also when did he become that top 3?  wasnt in the beginning.

More data was collected and his performance was scrutinized by scouts and draft experts. Then reports of scout and front office visits to different games created a rumor mill.

There was a reason everyone on this forum watched the Boca Raton Bowl and why most of the draft forum watched BYU v Coastal Carolina. After his game against Boise State he was a guaranteed first rounder and his status only elevated from there. He also put up the best PFF score of all draft eligible QBs.

That’s how Zach Wilson ended up in top 3 conversations and eventually become the obvious pick. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Huh?

Some parents getting caught stuffing their kids’ college applications has less than 1% of 1% to do with an NFL franchise choosing which QB to draft.

We’ll never know what made them pick Zach, lol. Yeah it’s just too incredible that they believed the #2 rated QB should be taken after the #1 just went off the board. Couldn’t be.

There must be a more believable reason, like a stadium corporate sponsor 10 years into a 25-year naming rights contract, was actually controlling the team’s draft pick, because the former CEO (who got unceremoniously forced  out 14 years earlier) actually still secretly controls that major airline, to such a degree he can get it to lean enough on a multi-billionaire NFL owner, to lean on his GM, to take a player they otherwise probably didn’t want. Yeah that’s it.

Wow. 

ill let you continue to live in your G rated Walt Disney world where you think logic dictates.

I will say I was all for drafting Zach in that draft and moving on from Darnold the INT machine.  Not because I was in love with drafting him but rather he was the 2nd best option I thought and best we could get.  I had hoped for a better rookie year and I place most of the blame on coaching for last year debacle altho he made some bone headed plays himself.  I have hope though he may be good but still no clue if he will be.  I think he is in much better shape with the likes of Breece Hall and rest of this rookie class so we shall see.

2 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

Joe Douglas was already under contract before Zach was even a consideration so he would have no choice unless he quits

Saleh signed dotted line before the player was even drafted.

Did Woody make Douglas take  Sauce Breece Garrett and JJ too?   What about Clemons??‍♂️

1 hour ago, SickJetFan said:

why you people seem so incredulous that this is even possible naive.  Look around this kind of sh*t happens all the time

https://www.insider.com/college-admissions-scandal-full-list-people-sentenced-2019-9

granted not related but before this happened, if it was even suggested that it is happening people like you would arguing the virtues of the college administrators of the world.  Fact is only 1% of the 1% of this ever got caught and we will never know what made them pick Zach.

When he beats Green Bay you'll know.

14 hours ago, SickJetFan said:

they picked Zach cause they needed a QB and he was in their minds the second best one.

comparing this to college admissions which everyone knows is shady.  seriously you don't think everyone knows that being an alumni or major donor helps you get into college?  you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know that.

Bit dislikes Woody and hence many of his posts are someone the ownership is bad.  

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/13/2022 at 10:49 PM, Sperm Edwards said:

So you thought Wilson was the 2nd best prospect. But the Jets - who drafted him - couldn’t have felt that way.

Far more likely the string of absurd scenarios on top of absurd scenarios is the real sequence of events.

Some people who can afford to buy influence buy it in many ways. I’m lost as to what this has to do with the QB-needy Jets, with the #2 pick, drafting the #2 rated QB, in favor of some foil hat conspiracy theory that makes no sense in the first place.

• Neeleman isn’t the CEO of Jetblue airlines.
  • He hasn’t been there since 2007. He was forced out, and it was not amicable. 
  • He is not one of the company’s top shareholders.
  • The guy who pushed him out has since been pushed out himself, and most of the executives he knew 15+ years ago are also probably no longer there either.
  • Despite all that, and the fact that he’s still starting up airlines to compete with JetBlue, he still has secret influence with that airline.
  • That airline was 10 years into a 25 year contract with both teams. They pay it whether the product on the field is good or bad.
  • That contract is also far less than it’d cost today. i.e. the two teams would love to re-sell the naming rights to someone else for even more money if they could.
  • The former CEO once had about $100-150MM in JetBlue shares before he started selling them off at the time he got kicked out of the company. He is not nearly one of the airline’s top stock holders & hasn’t been for a long time.
  • So the airline wouldn’t listen to him about anything anymore - not to mention he’s working up to compete with them with a new airline - but you think they’ll take marching orders from him to exert influence over an NFL franchise; influence they don’t even have in the first place.
  • And further, that Woody Johnson is going to let them make demands on his future QB, because one of the prospects is a nephew of a guy they fired 15 years earlier. A guy worth a small fraction of what Woody’s worth himself.
  • Also the Jets needed a QB and this nephew of the CEO who was axed back in 2007 was generally thought to be the #2 QB prospect among draft obsessives who’d never even heard of Wilson’s uncle before.

In the face of how silly this all is, how am I to respond to replies of, “Meh, don’t come at me with reality. They have more money than I can comprehend, therefore there has to be an illogical, almost silly reason that happened rather than the most logical, realistic one.”

Or the Jets, in a COVID season, misread the data. Completely. Coupled with bad groupthink. And thought they needed to get a QB no matter what. 

3 hours ago, JiFields said:

Well, I was steady on the, there is nothing generational about Lawrence, but he's clearly emerging as one of the best QB's in the NFL.  He's been ridiculous lately.  

You weren't wrong; I still agree with you that he wasn't a generational prospect.  That is an overused label.  

• Upvote 2