What should the Jets do with Zach Wilson next week?

Maxman

What should the Jets do with Zach Wilson next week?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Jets do with Zach Wilson next week?

• Bench him
    • Start him but he gets a short rope
    • Nothing, he gets the full year no matter what

1 hour ago, JiFields said:

As much as I would like to put Zach Wilson on the next rocket ship to the moon, you have to start him this week on a short leash.   You cant ask him to go, GB, NE x2 and Buffalo 4 games straight and then stick Mike White in vs. a team that is tanking.  If there was ever a game for Zach Wilson to shut the haters up and prove he belongs, it's this game.  I wouldnt put a penny on it happening but if you're the Jets, this has to be the decision.  The Bears are the worst team in Football, if Zach cant put up a competent stat line and show he belongs, then it's time to bench him but I dont think you do it going into this game.  I think you let him start and if he continues to be atrocious, you tell him at half, we're giving Mike the 2nd half to see if he can give us a spark.  

It just so happens that we now have a spacecraft capable of taking ZW to the Moon.  

image.png.4df6a34163c74ad0ac911a14cd4713ba.png

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Larz said:

Coach, develop and support him. Honestly with Davis and Herbig back against the 29th ranked bears defense he’ll likely look totally different 

he needs theses pressure packed reps. 

This is where I go with this.  You have to see how the kid responds.  If he comes out guns blazing with his butt literally in the fire and everything just clicks.  Sure.  I'm not saying I think this has any good probability of happening, but he'll get the opportunity to dig himself out of this hole.  If he doesn't, yank him and let Mike White show what he can do.

Either way, he could finish the year with 15 TD's in the next 7 games, you still have to bring in a real vet for real competition next year.  Kid is a headcase so he could crack at any point, and you have to have an option to go to even if this season ends looking "fixed".

The team is too good to be held back by a flaky young QB.

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1

The team, particularly the defense, being better than expected makes this all a little messy. Given the investment in him it's difficult to pull him unless the coaching staff and FO is all the way out on him already. But idk how you tell the defense that we gotta keep letting this dude lose games by himself and the receivers appear ready to mutiny. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

8 hours ago, Maxman said:

Sucks but that isn't a thing anymore. He would have benefited so much from sitting. He comes unglued so many times each game.

The scariest part for me is I question his toughness. Love his athleticism and he started the game by making things happen. He has gotten over the interception thing great.

I don’t know about all of this. If they would’ve sat him for a year or two, when they finally let him start would the over riding message to him still be ‘now play safe, don’t turn the ball over and throw it away if you need to’? The Jets, to me, are holding the kid to the wrong standard. You’re not going to be a successful NFL QB when your ‘success’ standard is no TOs. 

im torn with this kid, because when he gets on a roll, he can play. That 4th qtr in Pittsburgh was just a fluke? Even the Buffalo game was ok from a get the ball out quick and make plays perspective. Yes, other evidence is scant but….I still say it’s a bad QB development philosophy to have the main message hammered into his head be ‘don’t turn the ball over and just don’t hurt us and we’ll be fine’. 

all I saw yesterday was an indecisive QB who heard nothing all the week prior other than ‘if you don’t turn the ball over’ we’ll beat them.  He wasn’t playing that way against BUF IMO. What changed?  As soon as he starts holding onto the ball too long, his mechanics fall apart and the balls get inaccurate. 

the whole having him play to not make mistakes thing also sucks because inevitably it leads to making the yes/no decision on the player themselves take even longer. If Zach meets the goal of no TOs the rest of the season and the NYJ go one and done in the playoffs, they still go into next year not knowing what they got. We did this with Sanchez….apparently we never learn any lessons. 

7 hours ago, Jet2020 said:

Lol this theory is ridiculous. Can’t blame his overthrown missed dinks n dunks on the opposing team. 

I agree that he’s been terrible, but getting into a rhythm is huge for qbs (especially young ones). It builds their confidence and lets them succeed without overthinking. This is a much easier feat against these types of defenses vs the gauntlet of top 10 he’s been going against 

When you sit there watching the game and just wishing that the guy would simply COMPLETE A PASS. He couldn't even do that. Today was the worst play by a Jets QB that I've seen since that game against Buffalo (10/26/14) when Geno Smith threw 3 INTs in the 1st quarter. But in that game,  at least Rex Ryan had the wisdom/balls to see it wasn't happening that day for Smith and sat him down and put Michael Vick in the game. For Robert Saleh to stand up there and actually say that benching Wilson was the furthest thing from his mind is baffling to me. It was even mentioned in the post-game that Mac Jones was pulled by Bellichik earlier in the year, and it worked out pretty good for him-so far.

There were a couple of videos that I saw yesterday that has me thinking, the first was Garrett Wilson talking about the way that "some people" walk around this building like they are BMOC and don't feel they even have to practice, study, or work as hard-clearly that outline looks a lot like the way we see Mister Headband marching around thinking he is immune to any criticism or questioning. That had to be the co-ckiest postgame from a losing player I've ever seen.

In this video here is what Sal Paolantonio says: "He's a very undisciplined thrower, he's undisciplined in the pocket with his footwork, he clearly does not see the rush, his eyes drop almost immediately, he gives up on the pass plays way too early in the down I think that's a major problem for him"

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

9 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

I agree that he’s been terrible, but getting into a rhythm is huge for qbs (especially young ones). It builds their confidence and lets them succeed without overthinking. This is a much easier feat against these types of defenses vs the gauntlet of top 10 he’s been going against 

The excuses being made are unbelievable.  Justin Fields, who is not good, played way better facing the patriots

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

When you sit there watching the game and just wishing that the guy would simply COMPLETE A PASS. He couldn't even do that. Today was the worst play by a Jets QB that I've seen since that game against Buffalo (10/26/14) when Geno Smith threw 3 INTs in the 1st quarter. But in that game,  at least Rex Ryan had the wisdom/balls to see it wasn't happening that day for Smith and sat him down and put Michael Vick in the game. For Robert Saleh to stand up there and actually say that benching Wilson was the furthest thing from his mind is baffling to me. It was even mentioned in the post-game that Mac Jones was pulled by Bellichik earlier in the year, and it worked out pretty good for him-so far.

There were a couple of videos that I saw yesterday that has me thinking, the first was Garrett Wilson talking about the way that "some people" walk around this building like they are BMOC and don't feel they even have to practice, study, or work as hard-clearly that outline looks a lot like the way we see Mister Headband marching around thinking he is immune to any criticism or questioning. That had to be the co-ckiest postgame from a losing player I've ever seen.

In this video here is what Sal Paolantonio says: "He's a very undisciplined thrower, he's undisciplined in the pocket with his footwork, he clearly does not see the rush, his eyes drop almost immediately, he gives up on the pass plays way too early in the down I think that's a major problem for him"

Well said, man. And thanks for the video share

I think Wilson's just putting on this persona that he can't show weakness or anything but he's clearly in over his head.

For some reason I dont hate him for it. I think he was clearly over-drafted in a year where most teams played a reduced schedule, he had a full schedule against a litany of lower level schools that boosted his status. I can't blame him for that, I blame the Jets front office and coaching staff.

Lets be honest prior to the Covid year Zach Wilson was an average D1 quarterback. Now he's playing in the NFL against Bill Belichick. Imagine an average college QB against Bill Belichick, and you get what we saw, 2 total yards. 

Wilson should be benched for his own good and the good of the team

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

24 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

You forget the fitz 6 pick game vs the chiefs? Now that was the worst game by a qb I’ve seen 

• Post of the Week 1

It’s depressing - We’re even slight below average QB play in those Pats games away from being the #1 seed in the AFC. As it is we’re bottom of this godforsaken division.

I haven’t been as optimistic about the general state of the Jets since 2009. This would be a Superbowl contender with a decent QB, maybe the favourite with a good one.

We’d be as well going with White and seeing what he is, if he’s even a viable long term backup. If he wins us games great, if not we’re out of contention and we can go back to Zach with nothing to lose.

A QB is a must in the offseason. Every single available option should be being evaluated already. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

You forget the fitz 6 pick game vs the chiefs? Now that was the worst game by a qb I’ve seen 

I guess I'm talking mostly about young players games, even though Fitz was horrendous that game he was at least able to complete 20 passes. I was sitting here BEGGING him to at least COMPLETE A PASS in that second half-he couldn't do it! Zach Wilson is the worst thrower with the worst mechanics I've ever seen from a starting Jets QB. Period.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

It’s depressing - We’re even slight below average QB play in those Pats games away from being the #1 seed in the AFC. As it is we’re bottom of this godforsaken division.

I haven’t been as optimistic about the general state of the Jets since 2009. This would be a Superbowl contender with a decent QB, maybe the favourite with a good one.

We’d be as well going with White and seeing what he is, if he’s even a viable long term backup. If he wins us games great, if not we’re out of contention and we can go back to Zach with nothing to lose.

A QB is a must in the offseason. Every single available option should be being evaluated already. 

Of course there's the whole contingent of guys here with their "Mike White Sucks banners" who will cite a bad game he had playing on a team decimated by injuries and a roster that couldn't compete in the SEC. But I'll tell you what all the Jets needed was for the QB to complete 5 more passes and the Jets are in first place this morning-but Saleh has been told to keep the spoiled PoFS in there for some reason that I have suspicions about that have nothing to do with football and more to do with what the owner is more interested in THAN the team that he owns.

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

MLF needs to stop neutering him though.  Let him throw the ball around like a real NFL QB would.   If he throws INTs and we lose games then we're just going to have to live with that.

100%

If he’s out there you have to give him a chance to win. If you don’t think he’s capable, then just sit him. 

PPL want to burn Zach at the stake for yesterday(not without merit) but MLF had a putrid plan for how to attack NE’s defense. All these swings passes got us nowhere because that’s what NE wanted us to do. He gets too cute with this East and West Stuff. We seemingly never go north to south.  If Zach is your guy you have to give him a chance, and if he turns the ball over you have to live with it 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Hansen said:

I think you guys are going to get your wish. Problem is I don’t think Mike White, Chris Streveler, or Joe Flacco will be a significant upgrade. If the Jets had a better option they probably would have used him yesterday. 

They’re not. But at this point I think the kid needs consequences. His smug attitude at the Presser yesterday gave off “I’m the starter no matter what so it doesn’t matter” 

5 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

They’re not. But at this point I think the kid needs consequences. His smug attitude at the Presser yesterday gave off “I’m the starter no matter what so it doesn’t matter” 

I was listening to Jake Asman's post-game show.  He said that there's some sort of conflict going on between ZW and Connor Hughes.  He thinks that played into why ZW answered "no".  Asman also said that, later in the press conference, ZW did say he needed to play better, etc.

Connor Hughes is a massive douche so I can't blame ZW if that's the case.

• Upvote 2

Zach should start and be on a short leash. The biggest thing about this season was finding out all the answers about Zach. We are getting our answers, it just so happens that we are also getting answers about how good the team overall is.... ride it out as long as it can logically hold up. That could be halftime on Sunday if he continues to miss open receivers

25 minutes ago, SoFlaJets said:

I guess I'm talking mostly about young players games, even though Fitz was horrendous that game he was at least able to complete 20 passes. I was sitting here BEGGING him to at least COMPLETE A PASS in that second half-he couldn't do it! Zach Wilson is the worst thrower with the worst mechanics I've ever seen from a starting Jets QB. Period.

Towards the end if that game I was laughing so hard. It was such a clown show that I was rooting for more 

13 minutes ago, carlito1171 said:

100%

If he’s out there you have to give him a chance to win. If you don’t think he’s capable, then just sit him. 

PPL want to burn Zach at the stake for yesterday(not without merit) but MLF had a putrid plan for how to attack NE’s defense. All these swings passes got us nowhere because that’s what NE wanted us to do. He gets too cute with this East and West Stuff. We seemingly never go north to south.  If Zach is your guy you have to give him a chance, and if he turns the ball over you have to live with it 

but thats the problem. they have no faith in him but wont sit him. and were in the playoff race so i think they think if they let him do as little as possible, they can win enough to get in as opposed to having him air it out and throw 3 picks and we lose the playoffs.

but at this rate were losing the playoffs anyway. just bench this kid

3 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Towards the end if that game I was laughing so hard. It was such a clown show that I was rooting for more 

You know what happened, on the last play the feed went out and when we finally got it back on all I see is the guy gliding into the EZ like a Jets landing. Thank God, I may have had a frigging heart attack if I was able to watch that play happen live. And, sorry for being a dick yesterday to you, I was really upset

What I would do - Start Zach but have Flacco on the roster ready to go in if things start going sideways. Putting in White or Career CFL backup whatever his name is does nothing for the Jets. I have to look at the entire team and this team has an elite defense that go shutdown pretty much anyone and they deserve that shot to go to the post season.

What i think the jets will do - Zach starts and if he struggles who knows ?

When you have your D-line making 7 sacks and your receivers are having passes thrown way over there heads or woefully short in front of them . . . the locker room is going to get very ugly fast if it hasn’t already after yesterday's game.

I’m expecting the Jets receivers to start getting very vocal because they are worried about their receiving stats. You gotta remember after all is said and done this is a business, and these guys are all very aware of their stats and how they are viewed by their coaching staff and their peers around the league.

• Upvote 1