NO Excuses for Zach with Chicago Defense

kevinc855

2 minutes ago, Zachtomims47 said:

No way. I want playoffs. I don’t care how. 

This reminds me of the very respected poster who was rooting for the Jets to lose while ZW was injured.

I just don't get it. We have not been in the playoff hunt at Thanksgiving in ages. 

Football Outsiders posted a great bit last week talking about how games like Buffalo are probably the worst thing that could happen with the Jets right now. 

We either need Zach to be great or awful. Those mediocre stat lines like he put in at the end of last year are the absolute worst case scenario for the long term future of the team as it will inevitably convinced those who've invested in him that he's worth bringing back. 

So yeah Zach will probably go 17/24 - 150 yards - 1 TD and we'll win 17-14. His fans will "told you so" it up all week. Jets will stay in limbo. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

16 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

What does that mean 

that means that Zach will be the same guy nobody had a problem with most of this year. about 55% comp, 140-180 yds  no TDs and no INTs. our running game and defense win the game. then were stuck with him for the rest of the year. and there is no way we make the playoffs with him as QB. the sooner we understand this and make a change the better for us and the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, August said:

When he goes 16/23 175 and the Jets win then what? 

dont be fooled by a good game against a bad defense. his overall numbers for this season will still be the worst in the league

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Irish Jet said:

Football Outsiders posted a great bit last week talking about how games like Buffalo are probably the worst thing that could happen with the Jets right now. 

We either need Zach to be great or awful. Those mediocre stat lines like he put in at the end of last year are the absolute worst case scenario for the long term future of the team as it will inevitably convinced those who've invested in him that he's worth bringing back. 

So yeah Zach will probably go 17/24 - 150 yards - 1 TD and we'll win 17-14. His fans will "told you so" it up all week. Jets will stay in limbo. 

This is why Joe Douglas makes the big bucks.

He needs to put on his big boy pants and make that call.  He doesn't have the luxury of just being a fan.

He's not me - finding ways to justify Zach.

He's not the rest of you....

His job is to actually watch tape and make the tough decisions.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, doitny said:

that means that Zach will be the same guy nobody had a problem with most of this year. about 55% comp, 140-180 yds  no TDs and no INTs. our running game and defense win the game. then were stuck with him for the rest of the year. and there is no way we make the playoffs with him as QB. the sooner we understand this and make a change the better for us and the playoffs.

dont be fooled by a good game against a bad defense. his overall numbers for this season will still be the worst in the league

Issue is MW is not an answer either so unless you go with Streveler(which the coaches won’t do)than we have no higher ceiling prospect at this point since Flacco is a statue back there and is not a suitable replacement either. It looks like it is Zack or bust at this point and we have to see if this kid can grow up enough to not be hurting the team like he did yesterday. Maybe he just can’t play well enough to beat Belicheck defenses. Let’s see how he does with the others. I could be wrong though since a bad showing in the next game or 2 could get him benched for MW.

56 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

What does that mean 

It likely means he'll be boringly semi-adequate, 55-57% comp., 140 or 170 or ever 200 yards or the like, 0-1 TD, 0 INT, on the way to a close win or close loss, depending on how great the Jets D and specials and RB's can be.

And then we'll hear the "He's 6-2, how can you be mad at that, damn hater" narrative again next week.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, kevinc855 said:

What does that mean 

I’m saying that Zach beating bad teams will “ mask a problem beating good teams”.

Not to me it won’t - I’ve seen all I need to see to know he’ll likely continue to sh*t himself whenever a big game is played.

Though the narrative will be - they he bounced back after a bad performance.

hence “ the bigger problem” comment by me.

1 hour ago, kevinc855 said:

What does that mean 

54 minutes ago, August said:

When he goes 16/23 175 and the Jets win then what? 

It means we're ****ed, which is why you have to start someone else. He does not process the entire field. 

My guitar teacher was a brilliant musician. He would ask me music theory questions in the middle of the lesson and I'd get shaken puppy head syndrome when he would be staring at me waiting for an answer. My brain would short circuit. Also, playing in front of audiences, my fingers wouldn't work, I was thinking too much in the moment and it wasn't natural.

That's what happens to Wilson in the middle of a play. I never became a better guitar player. He's almost definitely not going to become a better qb. It's not about preparation or intelligence. It's about what your brain does in the split second moments. I don't think he has it. 

25 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

This is why Joe Douglas makes the big bucks.

He needs to put on his big boy pants and make that call.  He doesn't have the luxury of just being a fan.

He's not me - finding ways to justify Zach.

He's not the rest of you....

His job is to actually watch tape and make the tough decisions.

EXACTLY. 

JD is not a moron. He can tell if Zach is playing poorly even if the team is winning or if Zach is playing well/improving and the team is losing, etc. Him and the CS have been evaluating all season and will make a decision RE: the QB room in the offseason. 

Personally, I think he will vet competition via FA or trade. This team is farther along that expected, especially on the defensive side of the ball. And I don't think JD want to draft another QB early when he can add more talent elsewhere to complete this team. If Zach does not show strides next year, if he does not earn the starting spot- he will be the backup.   

6 minutes ago, Gastineau Lives said:

It means we're ****ed, which is why you have to start someone else. He does not process the entire field. 

My guitar teacher was a brilliant musician. He would ask me music theory questions in the middle of the lesson and I'd get shaken puppy head syndrome when he would be staring at me waiting for an answer. My brain would short circuit. Also, playing in front of audiences, my fingers wouldn't work, I was thinking too much in the moment and it wasn't natural.

That's what happens to Wilson in the middle of a play. I never became a better guitar player. He's almost definitely not going to become a better qb. It's not about preparation or intelligence. It's about what your brain does in the split second moments. I don't think he has it. 

Those numbers would be considered acceptable for Zach’s standards. 

5 minutes ago, UnknownJetFan said:

Issue is MW is not an answer either so unless you go with Streveler(which the coaches won’t do)than we have no higher ceiling prospect at this point since Flacco is a statue back there and is not a suitable replacement either. It looks like it is Zack or bust at this point and we have to see if this kid can grow up enough to not be hurting the team like he did yesterday. Maybe he just can’t play well enough to beat Belicheck defenses. Let’s see how he does with the others. I could be wrong though since a bad showing in the next game or 2 could get him benched for MW.

not a long term answer, but for 7 games to get us in the playoffs White or Flacco will be fine. 

i dont think White is good either but maybe he learned something from last year. and this roster and offensive weapons are much better. both would be better than Zach

Flacco still has more TDs in 3 games than Zach has in 7. better comp %. lower INT%. 

White last year avg 66% completion in 3 games.

we dont need TB12 to make the playoffs, just someone who can make simple passes. and Zach aint it.

people say Flacco and White are statues and Zach has great mobility. well you know what we could use a statue that stands in the pocket and makes throws instead of running at the 1st sign of pressure. 

• Post of the Week 1