Is Wilson Tradeable?

bd71

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

It will come up in the off season and another team could probably scoop him up on the cheap. I still see a lot of talent worth giving up a 2nd round pick if I'm another team who was high on him. After being pulled for Streveler yesterday not sure he has a future with us although I'd probably start him unless White is available. The QB room next season will change a lot. This does not reflect well on the Jets CS. You have a kid drafted so high and well thought of by the Jets and other teams just a year plus ago and he's regressed. 

He hasn't regressed, he's been awful since day one.

It's reflecting entirely on the front office:  JD and every single scout involved in Wilson's evaluation failed miserably at their jobs with this one.

12 hours ago, BurntDice said:

He was entering his 4th year though which I’m sure lowers trade value. Zach still has his 3rd, 4th and 5th (lol) 

I suspect we could all be very surprised about what Zach might be able to bring back in a trade. Did anyone think Darnold was worth 2nd, 4th, and 6th round picks? Or that The Prez would be worth two firsts? And those two years on a rookie deal are a big deal. Gives any team acquiring him a full year to evaluate him in their system before handing out any fifth year options. This was a highly regarded prospect two years ago. There’s someone out there who loved him then who hasn’t given up on him. 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, PS17 said:

Darnold was significantly better than Zach. So I’m gonna say a 4th or 5th is best case scenario and even that may be wishful thinking. 

If you would have told me this is where we'd be after year 2 of Zach??? ..... nice and comfy in our cold wet blanket ... feels like home. 

Just need the Pats to get out of the AFC basement this is our space we've been paying rent here for years and their freeloading ass just shows up on the coach.... I don't think sooo...

Losing My Mind GIF

14 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

It's reflecting entirely on the front office:  JD and every single scout involved in Wilson's evaluation failed miserably at their jobs with this one.

I recall about a year ago there was a poll on this site on Zach something like would you do it again and draft him overall 2 and more votes for Zach than against him. He’s had good games and made plays but prob should not have been named the starter day 1 of first reg season. I still think he will have an NFL career and can be a starter. 

28 minutes ago, TommyT said:

It would be an 11 million cap hit to get rid of him next year.

If he is cut, it's an 11 million cap hit. If he is traded, it's only $2M. We're not cutting him. But trading him has to be on the table. The team trading for him would be on the hook for his roster bonus and base. So, the receiving team would take on a $4M cap hit next year and $5M cap hit the year after. Backup QB money.

1 minute ago, Rangers9 said:

I recall about a year ago there was a poll on this site on Zach something like would you do it again and draft him overall 2 and more votes for Zach than against him. He’s had good games and made plays but prob should not have been named the starter day 1 of first reg season. I still think he will have an NFL career and can be a starter. 

The same was said by many about Darnold.  Sanchez was also going to revitalize his career after getting away from the Jets before that.  Both of them were worlds better than Zach has ever been in their times here, and despite claims otherwise, were still found to continue to suck all on their own regardless of who coached them.

As of now, there's little reason to believe Wilson is anything but a colossal bust other than the stubbornness of refusing to change opinions based on overwhelming amounts of new evidence.  I'm not going to pretend like I was opposed to the Wilson pick from day one, but that doesn't change what we've seen for 2 years.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

The same was said by many about Darnold.  Sanchez was also going to revitalize his career after getting away from the Jets before that.  Both of them were worlds better than Zach has ever been in their times here, and despite claims otherwise, were still found to continue to suck all on their own regardless of who coached them.

As of now, there's little reason to believe Wilson is anything but a colossal bust other than the stubbornness of refusing to change opinions based on overwhelming amounts of new evidence.  I'm not going to pretend like I was opposed to the Wilson pick from day one, but that doesn't change what we've seen for 2 years.

Imo probs with all 3 of those QBs starting them from day 1 and with no Qb competition. All 3 highly rated before draft failed Darnold not lighting it up with Carolina Mark had little success as a starter after Jets career was ok as a Philly backup. Look it’s up to the player but it’s also the system and offense and players. This season overall with few exceptions no greatness at Qb position even established QBs. I still think key factor with Zach recently has been failure of running game. I don’t know why Knight is our key back he’s done almost nothing had minus yards last night. 

17 hours ago, PS17 said:

Darnold was significantly better than Zach. So I’m gonna say a 4th or 5th is best case scenario and even that may be wishful thinking. 

17 hours ago, Team archer said:

I mean we got rid of Sam so..maybe?

Sam was better and not a douche 

17 hours ago, bd71 said:

He’s been given plenty of chances.  He keeps making the same mistakes over and over.  Over 20 plus games played.  Where’s the growth?  Question is, would the team trade him just to rid themselves of him?

If Chris Herndon , Jamal Adams, and Daniel Brown had trade value, so does Zach Wilson.

I guess that I’m mellowing with age. I got banned for being the most persistent anti-Darnold person on this board.
Zach is somehow worse than Sam(I can’t believe I’m saying that) but yet I haven’t even gotten warned once for saying anything bad about him. 
What a turnaround! I’m now one of the most beloved posters on the board...

Aidy Bryant Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

7 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

This whole “he’s regressed” stuff is nonsensical. You’re 100% right. He’s never been good.

• Upvote 2

21 hours ago, slats said:

I suspect we could all be very surprised about what Zach might be able to bring back in a trade. Did anyone think Darnold was worth 2nd, 4th, and 6th round picks? Or that The Prez would be worth two firsts? And those two years on a rookie deal are a big deal. Gives any team acquiring him a full year to evaluate him in their system before handing out any fifth year options. This was a highly regarded prospect two years ago. There’s someone out there who loved him then who hasn’t given up on him. 

I’m not sure I 100% disagree with this, but the one difference I see is the team as it is now. Sam was a struggling QB on one of the worst offensive line ups in the league and a historically bad defense to boot. Jamal was a pro bowler and All Pro  who established his  brand better than Jello and Alka Seltzer. 

Zach is statically the equivalent of Jamarcus Russell up to this point in his career  and that’s on a team that for all intent and purpose should be in the playoff hunt. Saleh told him the team would hold him up and I honestly think he and Joe drafted and ran free agency in a way that attempted that. Zach simply could not operate at the most basic level needed from a NFL QB. Not saying he couldn’t be a reclamation product but to what end? In my opinion he’s a guy you take for almost nothing to sit behind your starting vet. Not sure what draft picks anyone would want to invest in that. Nobodies picking him up to start him like they did with Sam Darnold. Unless Phil Simms becomes a head coach and Kurt Warner become the OC someplace. 

32 minutes ago, The Crusher said:

I’m not sure I 100% disagree with this, but the one difference I see is the team as it is now. Sam was a struggling QB on one of the worst offensive line ups in the league and a historically bad defense to boot. Jamal was a pro bowler and All Pro  who established his  brand better than Jello and Alka Seltzer. 

Zach is statically the equivalent of Jamarcus Russell up to this point in his career  and that’s on a team that for all intent and purpose should be in the playoff hunt. Saleh told him the team would hold him up and I honestly think he and Joe drafted and ran free agency in a way that attempted that. Zach simply could not operate at the most basic level needed from a NFL QB. Not saying he couldn’t be a reclamation product but to what end? In my opinion he’s a guy you take for almost nothing to sit behind your starting vet. Not sure what draft picks anyone would want to invest in that. Nobodies picking him up to start him like they did with Sam Darnold. Unless Phil Simms becomes a head coach and Kurt Warner become the OC someplace. 

I get that he’s putting up Jamarcus-like numbers, but he’s not Jamarcus. He’s not getting high on purple drank, he’s just a basket case. I think what he needs more than anything else is a year on the bench somewhere, but the NFL is an impatient league. I was watching a little Pat McAffee yesterday, and he mentioned Colts fans looking at Zach as a potential option for them next season (I kid you not). 

Maybe I’m being optimistic (it happens), but I do think the best move for the Jets -and for Zach- is to get him off the team, and I’m not sure JD does that this year if he can’t get something acceptable in return for him. And I really wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already taken and/or made some calls in that regard. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, slats said:

I get that he’s putting up Jamarcus-like numbers, but he’s not Jamarcus. He’s not getting high on purple drank, he’s just a basket case. I think what he needs more than anything else is a year on the bench somewhere, but the NFL is an impatient league. I was watching a little Pat McAffee yesterday, and he mentioned Colts fans looking at Zach as a potential option for them next season (I kid you not). 

Maybe I’m being optimistic (it happens), but I do think the best move for the Jets -and for Zach- is to get him off the team, and I’m not sure JD does that this year if he can’t get something acceptable in return for him. And I really wouldn’t be surprised if he’s already taken and/or made some calls in that regard. 

I agree with that. No matter what team he ends up on he needs to sit a year. Not sure what draft capital that is worth. 

22 hours ago, TommyT said:

It would be an 11 million cap hit to get rid of him next year.

Irrelevant.

That $11MM comes off the cap anyway. It's a sunk cost: money he's already been paid from his initial signing bonus.

The only relevant question the team has is whether or not they want to pay him an additional $9MM for the next 2 seasons.

Barring the most improbable turnaround this side of Geno Smith - which took nearly a decade & a move 2500 miles away to happen - whatever chance Wilson has of being a success isn't coming here. He's shot mentally, he isn't meshing with the team, nor with the fan base who's now letting out loud boos at literally every pass play that isn't a 1st down because they've just had enough. Rough start that he had last year & earlier this year, he's even worse now. Since he's not injured, it's all in his head.

Anyway, all that together is an untenable situation. Not just for the team, but for him, too.

---

Consider whatever lousy pick we might get in return -- turning that down is the same as trading those picks away to get/keep him (at $4.5MM/yr, fully guaranteed).

Hate to say it, but they should probably take what they can get, if only to put that $9MM towards lessening the cost of a veteran QB, whomever that is.

Either that or accept parking him as the QB3 next year with the hopes he straightens out his head - and his feet - with a full year off the field. Basically pay $4MM/yr for practice squad QB so we can cross our fingers that the sunk cost wasn't a full & total waste, but rather just a sucky delay. Not an illegitimate position to take, but I'm not there. Not while this is otherwise a playoff team with even average QB play.

• Upvote 1

It's really hard to say.  Would definitely require a coaching staff who feels they can put him in a position to succeed.  Even still, if there IS a coaching staff that feels that, I still don't see them offering more than a 3rd or so(which would be in '24 since we can't trade him prior to June 1st).  I think you take it though, considering there is value in just moving on and ending this circus.  

If JD manages to get a 2nd though, he's an even better GM than I thought.