It's gonna be Jimmy G...

Just now, bonkertons said:

Let's face it, he's the perfect choice.  An actual UFA, no trade assets required.  The ties to the coaching staff, system fit, proven #1 and winner.  Injury history should keep the price down, and honestly I can see this staff seeing his injury history as somewhat of a positive in that it should open the door for Zach to get one more shot in 2023.  It's clear they are not ready to bail on their 2nd overall pick investment just yet.  You bring in Jimmy and you did your due diligence of dramatically upgrading the position while also keeping hope alive for Zach to still be the guy here.  He is THE perfect fit.  I'll be shocked if he's not the guy.  

Jimmy G would be the perfect choice if there isn't a change in the coaching staff.

But I personally think there is going to be so then who knows, it opens the door for anyone

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, bonkertons said:

Let's face it, he's the perfect choice.  An actual UFA, no trade assets required.  The ties to the coaching staff, system fit, proven #1 and winner.  Injury history should keep the price down, and honestly I can see this staff seeing his injury history as somewhat of a positive in that it should open the door for Zach to get one more shot in 2023.  It's clear they are not ready to bail on their 2nd overall pick investment just yet.  You bring in Jimmy and you did your due diligence of dramatically upgrading the position while also keeping hope alive for Zach to still be the guy here.  He is THE perfect fit.  I'll be shocked if he's not the guy.  

Agree, it makes too much sense not to happen.  He will be cheap enough and take a short term deal because of the injury history.  He knows the playbook and has played at a high level in the same offense.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

^makes sense.

White will likely be gone. Jimmy G, Wilson and maybe a draft pick (but probably not, knowing JDs QB picking history).

Just now, football guy said:

Jimmy will have a lot of options. Perfect world that's who the coaching staff would want assuming none of the superstars become available, problem is Jimmy may not want the Jets... I would imagine that he would much rather want to sign with Vegas if the option were on the table

maybe, but then again competing against Zach Wilson would be way more advantageous than would competing against Stidham.

6 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

His weak arm is "the perfect choice" for NY football?  He's also injury prone and will cost a fortune. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

His weak arm is "the perfect choice" for NY football?  He's also injury prone and will cost a fortune. 

Honestly I think the weak arm stuff is overrated, like it was for Pennington back in the day.  I also don't see him costing a fortune, specifically for the reason you mentioned.  Plus coming off a year where he was a backup.  Regardless of how good he looked when he played, it doesn't change the fact that he was the #2.  Every little aspect like that affects value.

Still, regardless of who we get, if it's anyone worth a damn it's going to cost a "fortune", and no matter who it is they'll have their weaknesses/red flags.  Even Carr who is universally considered the top option has literally never won a game in the North East.  0-7 or something along those lines?   So yeah, I can leave with Jimmy's noodle arm.  

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

Jimmy G doesn't have a "strong" arm, but calling his arm "weak" is a stretch.  His problem with deeper throws has always been accuracy.

Hell - his most famous missed throw was a 55 yd bomb in the SuperBowl that he overthrew that could have won them the game.

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Who is gonna QB the other 9 games he misses for whatever he injures next?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, bonkertons said:

Still, regardless of who we get, if it's anyone worth a damn it's going to cost a "fortune", and no matter who it is they'll have their weaknesses/red flags.  Even Carr who is universally considered the top option has literally never won a game in the North East.  0-7 or something along those lines?   So yeah, I can leave with Jimmy's noodle arm.  

I recall one game he won in the North East:

But generally I agree.  All of these options come with big question marks - but that's why they are available.  Carr hasn't won a playoff game and leads the league in interceptions over the last two years.  Jimmy G can't stay healthy.  Lamar will want huge dollars and can't stay healthy.

There's no "right" answer in this game of QB musical chairs.

Guy has been a starter for 7 seasons.  Has been healthy enough to throw for 3500 yards twice.   Healthy enough to throw for 20 touchdowns in a season twice.

I know when I think of the Jets offense, I say to myself "This offense is so deep and healthy, adding a minor injury risk at QB can't go wrong.'

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

If they signed Jimmy sure it makes sense if the current CS is still employed. If so not sure White would want to return as a backup even though with Jimmy's injuries through the years he could get opportunities to play with the Jets. As for Zach can't see him coming back as a number 3. 

6 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

I think he's the most likely QB we go after but a dangerous choice of putting us right back in the same spot we are right now when he goes down. And the whole ship is going down in flames if that happens again.

This.

Whomever is the pick, needs to play 17 games next year. sure, things happen and that may not happen.  But to bank on a guy who has played a full season ONCE in his career, with your career on the line, thats asking a lot.

• Upvote 4

Jimmy will have a lot of options. Perfect world that's who the coaching staff would want assuming none of the superstars become available, problem is Jimmy may not want the Jets... I would imagine that he would much rather want to sign with Vegas if the option were on the table
I think a lot depends on how the teams that draft a qb proceed... you probably have 4 or 5 guys that might be drafted high and expected to start right away which would then close those potential openings

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

If they signed Jimmy sure it makes sense if the current CS is still employed. If so not sure White would want to return as a backup even though with Jimmy's injuries through the years he could get opportunities to play with the Jets. As for Zach can't see him coming back as a number 3. 

Honestly I'll be surprised if Zach isn't the #2 going into next season.  I think it made sense to drop him to #3 this year with all that was going on, and them wanting to give him a "reset", but if our #1 goes down next year I think JD/Saleh are going to want Zach to be the guy.  If anything I think they'll bring in another Flacco type as the #3.

If everything fails - aka Jimmy goes down and Zach flops - you bring in your new GM and coaching staff in '24, cut/trade Zach, and let the new regime draft their new QB to sit behind Jimmy until they're ready.  I think at that point, after you draft that kid in '24, you can bring in a Mike White type to make sure the kid doesn't have to play before he's ready.  Until then though, IMO it's going to be whoever we bring in as the #1, and ZW as the #2.

• Upvote 3

Jets need to take the niners approach at qb and go with the stable/room model.

Swinging for the qb fences and hoping to land that franchise guy just hasn't ever panned out here. Not farve, Sanchez, Geno, Darnold or Wilson.

Besides, when was the last time we had a qb make it an entire season? Defense, run game and skill positions are all strong. Get AVT and Breece back. Shore up the line.

This offense doesn't need a superstar qb. So stop trying to find one. Get a qb who can run the offense and win some games.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app