Danny Jones wants $45m a year

Rhg1084

42 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

beggars can’t be choosers. We have no QB right now. Carr is the best option. 

This is why I’ve compared signing Carr to signing Neil O’Donnell. That’s exactly what the team did back then, pay a JAG+ type QB top money and go nowhere. O’Donnell was hyped the same way Carr is being hyped now, despite the fact that he’s just simply not that good. That’s why he’s available. If the best option is a crappy option, the best move would probably be to pass. The team that signs him will regret it, imo. 

13 minutes ago, GreenFish said:

We'd be on the hook for only $27M. The Titans take the cap hit on the prorated bonus. $27M is reasonable for Tannehill. The only question now is the draft picks and how much we'd be willing to give up. I wouldn't go higher than a 3rd.

That $27M is not guaranteed and, if the Titans cut him, they save about $18M against the cap this year. Apparently there’s some speculation that that’s exactly what they’re going to do. It would not be surprising to see them try to get something for him in a trade before cutting him but, if that’s the league’s expectation, that cost should be relatively low. 

The elephant in the room is Zach. As long as he’s on the roster, you have assume that the Jets are still hoping to rebuild him. If that’s the case, that’s the sort of thing that might make a one-two year rental of Rodgers or Tannehill more appealing than having to give Derek Carr the huge amount of guaranteed money that someone’s inevitably going to pay him, and tying the franchise to him for probably a three year minimum. 

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Would we be more comfortable paying Jones or Carr this type of money? I’d personally pay Carr even tho Jones is younger 

I would take me a while to stop laughing.  The guy threw 15 touchdowns after 4 very mediocre years.  His 3 year total is still 5 TD's short of what Mahomes threw this year.  He need to be a free agent and see if anyone else asks him to come in with that asking price.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Look at their numbers, it may not be as far apart as you might think.

The only way you come away with that opinion is if you look exclusively at 2022 and ignore the rest of their careers. Even in a bad year for Carr, when his interception rate jumped he still threw for 24 TD's and 3500 yards (which is low for him) while Jones threw for 3200 and 15 TD's. When he you look at the last four years of Carr's career prior to 2022, he's head and shoulders better than Jones. Jones' best passing year was 2022, which shows how much the team relied on Barkley. Carr threw for over 4000 yards for four seasons prior to 2022 with a high of 4800 in 2021. It was not too long ago that we were debating whether Jones or Darnold was a better QB. Jones may have won that argument, but not by much.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, slats said:

This is why I’ve compared signing Carr to signing Neil O’Donnell. That’s exactly what the team did back then, pay a JAG+ type QB top money and go nowhere. O’Donnell was hyped the same way Carr is being hyped now, despite the fact that he’s just simply not that good. That’s why he’s available. If the best option is a crappy option, the best move would probably be to pass. The team that signs him will regret it, imo. 

That $27M is not guaranteed and, if the Titans cut him, they save about $18M against the cap this year. Apparently there’s some speculation that that’s exactly what they’re going to do. It would not be surprising to see them try to get something for him in a trade before cutting him but, if that’s the league’s expectation, that cost should be relatively low. 

The elephant in the room is Zach. As long as he’s on the roster, you have assume that the Jets are still hoping to rebuild him. If that’s the case, that’s the sort of thing that might make a one-two year rental of Rodgers or Tannehill more appealing than having to give Derek Carr the huge amount of guaranteed money that someone’s inevitably going to pay him, and tying the franchise to him for probably a three year minimum. 

Except Carr isn’t a “crappy” option. He puts up over 4000 yards annually and is a solid as they come. He can absolutely lead this team into a deep playoff push 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

The only way you come away with that opinion is if you look exclusively at 2022 and ignore the rest of their careers. Even in a bad year for Carr, when his interception rate jumped he still threw for 24 TD's and 3500 yards (which is low for him) while Jones threw for 3200 and 15 TD's. When he you look at the last four years of Carr's career prior to 2022, he's head and shoulders better than Jones. Jones' best passing year was 2022, which shows how much the team relied on Barkley. Carr threw for over 4000 yards for four seasons prior to 2022 with a high of 4800 in 2021. It was not too long ago that we were debating whether Jones or Darnold was a better QB. Jones may have won that argument, but not by much.

When you compare numbers, its not even close. Carr is EASILY the better QB.

But the two situations are very different- these guys are at very different stages their careers. And when you look at what Jones meant to the Giants this year, I would not be surprised if they end up paying him close to what he is asking and locking him up long term. He has been clutch. He has extended drives with his legs and won games for the Giants with his arm- a mostly BAD offense. He had gelled with the coaching staff. He is a young player who has drastically improved. I know he is asking for a lot but the Giants really should not let him go. It would be a bad move, IMO. He's a good QB who could be great with better receivers and another year in the system. 

JMHO.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BurntDice said:

You view jones as upper tier qb1? I certainly don’t. I’ve been backing him for a while on here and a guy with one average (not even top 10)  year does not deserve 45 mil per. 

Carr is easily worth more than Jones. He’s been an above average qb for his entire career. 

I said middle/upper tier.  Yes, I consider Daniel Jones middle tier, and so does he and his agent, and so will a team out there if its not the Giants.  

And given that list of QBs I provided you, the number of $40M+ QBs are about to double, so "middle tier" will cost you $40M+ per. 

After all, Kyler Murray kinda sucks but still got $46.1M per.  Stafford and Dak Prescott make $40M per.  Even Jared Goff makes $33.5M per and will be hitting free agency again following the 2024 season.  It's going to be the going rate dude.  

What do you think Carr is worth?

13 minutes ago, Rhg1084 said:

Except Carr isn’t a “crappy” option. He puts up over 4000 yards annually and is a solid as they come. He can absolutely lead this team into a deep playoff push 

Sounds remarkably like Kirk Cousins. 

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, slats said:

Sounds remarkably like Kirk Cousins. 

Yeah Cousins is a great QB whos put up HOF numbers in Minnesota. We’d be lucky to have either Cousins or Carr. Jets fans get real picky for a team who’s only had one QB in their history put up a 4000 yard season.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I said middle/upper tier.  Yes, I consider Daniel Jones middle tier, and so does he and his agent, and so will a team out there if its not the Giants.  

And given that list of QBs I provided you, the number of $40M+ QBs are about to double, so "middle tier" will cost you $40M+ per. 

After all, Kyler Murray kinda sucks but still got $46.1M per.  Stafford and Dak Prescott make $40M per.  Even Jared Goff makes $33.5M per and will be hitting free agency again following the 2024 season.  It's going to be the going rate dude.  

Dak Stafford and all the rest of the guy on that list have multiple years of above average play. Jones doesn’t. He hasn’t proven to be a top 15 qb in the league. Stafford was borderline top 10 for most of his career. 

Jones has one solid season and that’s it. 

As I said Carr has proven to be better than Jones and has been fairly consistent. He’ll probably be in the 40 mil range 

Where would you rank Jones? 

id probably have all of these guys over him. 

Rodgers, Carr, Mahomes, Stafford, Jackson, Herbert, Watson, Cousins, Dak, Burrow, Hurts, Goff, Allen, Russ, Lawrence. 

He’s about on par with guys like Tennehill, Murray, Tua, Geno etc 

To me paying someone in that tier is 100% not worth that much 

8 minutes ago, BurntDice said:

Dak Stafford and all the rest of the guy on that list have multiple years of above average play. Jones doesn’t. He hasn’t proven to be a top 15 qb in the league. Stafford was borderline top 10 for most of his career. 

Jones has one solid season and that’s it. 

As I said Carr has proven to be better than Jones and has been fairly consistent. He’ll probably be in the 40 mil range 

You can say this as much as you'd like, but we all know QB salaries are going to continue to go up as the cap goes up.  And with Watson getting a fully guaranteed deal (prompting Lamar Jackson to demand one) that's going to become an issue for teams as well. 

Players and agents know you are spinning your wheels in the mud as a franchise without at least a mid-level QB, so teams will have to continue to cough up.  If the Giants don't pay Jones, someone else will.

And if the Giants want to slap the franchise tag on Jones?  It'll cost them $32.4M.  A different team in 2024 wants to tag a QB?  It'll be $41.8M.  

I listed off a bunch of other QBs who are about to get paid in a big way (Jackson, Burrow, Hurts, Carr, Lawrence, and possibly Jimmy G, Goff, Justin Fields).  If 5 of those guys plus Carr and Jones get $40M+ then we're talking about half the QBs in the league making $40M+ per.

And spoiler alert:  Carr will very much be in the $40M+ per range.  Probably a deal that, like @Sperm Edwards mentioned in another thread, starts in the low 40s and then escalates to $50M per in the latter half of the deal.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rhg1084 said:

Well he’s the number 1 QB on the market, so yes he’ll get $40m a year no doubt about it. 

Lol, he's bad. Had one good year mostly running and the local ny media has people like you brainwashed into thinking he's better than Carr and Rodgers. 

Let's see if another team offers him anything close. So far the only team seemingly interested are the giants and they may be losing interest. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

29 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Laughable to think he'd end up getting paid that little.

Yeah, one average year after being awful for 3 has some of you thinking he's a franchise QB. That's what is laughable

Explain why we haven't heard about the other QB needy teams wanting him? Probably because they don't want to build a team around a guy was schemed into success by Daboll. Other teams aren't going to want to rely on him needing to rush for 700 yards to be "average".

• Post of the Week 1

Just now, Maxman said:

I really like Jones and originally thought he would do very well here. That said, this is what is wrong with the NFL in many ways, the QB market is beyond nuts.

Can't give 45million to Jones.

Someone likely will. That being said can’t see him leaving the Giants. Im ok with it. 

2 hours ago, Reasonable Jets Fan said:

Because he is a mediocre qb... That can't play in cold weather... Cannot carry the team himself... And has seasons where he disappears like this past season. 

Not worth 50 million a year... 

$50 million a year?

you just making up numbers or something?  why not one hundred billion dollars....bwaaahaaaahaaa

• Thumb Down 1

3 hours ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Not me.  Unless you're bringing in a QB who can elevate the team (like AR12) then you don't make this move.  Imo, Tannehill would be much better bang for the buck than Carr.  And in the salary cap era, that's important.

Tannehill is under contract. Willis looked bad in his 3 games last year. looks like hes not ready. my guess is they make him sit another year behind Tanney. 

so whos left? Glass Jaw Jimmy? you want to over pay him to play 10 games a year? not me. then our QB will be who? Brissett?... White...Zach Wilson?

you cant count on Rodgers leaving GB or coming here. Carr is the best on the FA market if you dont over pay him your not getting a better QB then Brissett or White.

3 hours ago, oatmeal said:

LOL GIANTS

what a pickle to be in

this is a team that desperately needs the offseason to add a few key pieces and anything is possible in that weak nfc 

LOL GIANTS?

I’d love to have their problems. A really good young HC, a 25 yo rising QB and superstar RB looking to get paid, excellent young LT and a couple good young players on D, coming off a winning season including two playoff games? Yeah, lol them…

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Rhg1084 said:

Yeah Cousins is a great QB whos put up HOF numbers in Minnesota. We’d be lucky to have either Cousins or Carr. Jets fans get real picky for a team who’s only had one QB in their history put up a 4000 yard season.

One man’s luck is another man’s purgatory. Minnesota’s gone nowhere with Cousins because he’s not good enough to carry the team even though he’s paid as if he is, so the team struggles to put enough pieces around him. It’ll be the same thing with Carr. Upper mediocrity at a premium price. 

And like I said, I don’t think the team wants to commit to anyone for the four or five years they’d have to with Carr. If JD surprises me and manages to get something for Zach in a trade, maybe that changes. That’s not my expectation. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

ironically you mention Kyler 

I think the Kyler and Russ Wilson are the contract ranges we are going to be looking at for Carr, 5 yr deal, JD can fluff the numbers somewhat

230-245 mil/year total, 45-50 yr, 160 mil in guarantees and like 120 fully guaranteed if

feel like this is the starting point if you are Carr's agent. and he's 31 so JD could go 6 or 7 years to really fluff those numbers if he wanted or to reduce cap hits. 

something like that

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, slats said:

One man’s luck is another man’s purgatory. Minnesota’s gone nowhere with Cousins because he’s not good enough to carry the team even though he’s paid as if he is, so the team struggles to put enough pieces around him. It’ll be the same thing with Carr. Upper mediocrity at a premium price. 

And like I said, I don’t think the team wants to commit to anyone for the four or five years they’d have to with Carr. If JD surprises me and manages to get something for Zach in a trade, maybe that changes. That’s not my expectation. 

JD, Saleh, you, any JETS fan can count on nothing from Zach - the "we are going to develop zach" comments are just because they don't want to shatter what's left of his fragile mental state. 

you don't go from the worst QB in the league for 2 seasons and then magically hit top 15-12. No one is going to give you anything for Zach and if you do get a Rodgers an you thing you gonna sit Zach for 2 years and then give him a shot that doesn't work because you have to pick up his 5th year option which you can't do knowing he hasn't shown competency at the position.

if the decision is to go with Carr on a 4-5 year deal Zach's days are numbered for that reason

FOr me I'd still prefer Rodgers, or swing for Lamar (which ends Zach as a JETS player), if you cant get either then Carr

after that it is literally who gives a F... bring in Baker or Jameis and bring back Micke white on back-up type deal and let them battle it out on Hard Knocks so we can see if Zach has any real fight in him.

4 hours ago, BurntDice said:

Way too much for him. I’d be happy with the 30ish mil range. 45 to me is for guys who are legit mahomes types 

A lot of the people on this site are like old dads and grandpas who want to pay $50 cents for a large coffee.  Sadly getting a good quarterback in today's pricing structure is not going to happen for 30 million dollars.

I knew Jones was going to ask a lot more than people speculated this season and so will Mike White (I'm not saying Mike White is our answer).  Those two NY quarterbacks will be looking to get a lot of money compared to what they would have received a couple of years ago if they were free agents back then.