Edsen JR- Zach & Mimsie for Sutton Place

hmhertz

32 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

They didn't "launch" Austin.  He was suspended for gambling.  I don't even think he was with the team for the last two or three games last season.

If he was not suspended he was getting launched.    I don’t think he overall did a good job with the WRs.  I could coach Garrett Wilson.  

4 minutes ago, jeremy2020 said:

This thread is hilarious. A trade the other team would never make.. people who still think Zach is a starting QB in this league and will be the Jets starter in 2 years.. proper ridicule of said posters including joke trades of zach for mahomes! It's got it all.

Didn't expect one of the funniest threads of all time today. 

The only way this works is if the Jets do what the Packers may do and what the Giants did not do-exercise the 5th year option on a mysterious rookie QB.  

The Giants are obviously regretting not doing it for Daniel Jones.  Even Mariota and Winston had their 5th year options exercised.  

23 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Bro you did this same song and dance with darnold, darnold is so young, he was viewed highly by the Jets and executives around the league according to you and no matter what we said you preached this as the gospel.

You were wrong just like you are wrong now sorry

And yet, people in the NFL still believe those things about Darnold. Hell Frank Reich, who was one of the lead voices trying to bring Derek Carr to IND a few years ago, is willing to potentially move forward with Darnold instead despite how the first 5 years of his career has gone. What does that tell you?

You want to be ignorant and believe your own little prism of thought is correct than that's on you. I choose to be more objective 

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, football guy said:

If the goal is to foster an environment where talented QBs can develop behind established starters, why wouldn't the team start with Wilson who they already have invested in and still believe has elite-level arm talent and great work ethic? 

Because he's soft and lacks the ability to process at NFL game speed.  

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

Just now, football guy said:

I must believe this because some guy named "Biggs" on Jetnation has a crystal ball and says so. Lol 

I'll stick to the people I talk to on this one; you can believe whatever you want to believe. 

You should believe it because Saleh told you so.  The guy who put this clueless kid in actual games and had to fire his entire Offensive staff in year 2 to save his job.  

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

13 minutes ago, football guy said:

And yet, people in the NFL still believe those things about Darnold. Hell Frank Reich, who was one of the lead voices trying to bring Derek Carr to IND a few years ago, is willing to potentially move forward with Darnold instead despite how the first 5 years of his career has gone. What does that tell you?

You want to be ignorant and believe your own little prism of thought is correct than that's on you. I choose to be more objective 

It tells me Frank Reich is highly over rated. 

• Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Pac said:

I mean does anyone really think they're giving up on Zach before 2025?

If you do get used to being angry... 

The best move the team can make is Rodgers for 2 years then the return of a revamped Zach.  Best short and long term solution.   

There is no close second scenario. 

Rodgers may be emerging from the darkness as we speak. 

So you think they are picking up Zach’s 5th year option after he sits for 2 years?

43 minutes ago, oatmeal said:

Bro you did this same song and dance with darnold, darnold is so young, he was viewed highly by the Jets and executives around the league according to you and no matter what we said you preached this as the gospel.

You were wrong just like you are wrong now sorry

Actually seems like Darnold is slowly working himself into a serviceable starter so if he was a JD guy instead of a Macc guy he might still be here.  His QBR for 2022 was similar to Tannehill.

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

The problem with the "sit and develop Zach" plan is that they have to make a decision on his 5th year option by May of 2024, so essentially one year from now. 

If he sits the entire 2023 season, they'll need to decide whether to commit to paying him a guaranteed $20-$25 million for the 2025 season, without seeing any further game action from him (barring a 2023 injury to whichever vet is brought it).

That leaves them in a bind similar to what the Giants are facing with Jones.

Two years ago, the Giants turned down his 5th year option which would have cost them around $20 million, but now their stuck because they're not sure if his 2022 numbers were a fluke or a predictor of what he can be.

So now, they are forced to either sign him long term - or pay him a $45 million franchise tag...both of which are huge risks.  Had they picked up the option, they would at least be in a spot to pay him $20 million in 2023 and see if he could reproduce his production.

• Upvote 4

Haven’t we been here already? With Zach Wilson’s current talent level, salary, and cap hit, it makes him impossible to trade unless another team sees something we don’t. Sure it’s remotely possible that whatever QB we bring in, gets hurt and Zach comes in and is somewhat better than last year. Maybe that makes him more tradable next offseason.  Like it or not, he is here for the duration of this coming season. Probably on the bench. We aren’t trading him, not because we don’t want to, but because we aren’t going to take the cap hit. As much as everyone hates Zach as a player and he made some mistakes in the media, he is not a bad locker room presence as a backup QB, at least for one season. 

22 minutes ago, football guy said:

And yet, people in the NFL still believe those things about Darnold.

Including several who've been fired for it.

Hell Frank Reich, who was one of the lead voices trying to bring Derek Carr to IND a few years ago, is willing to potentially move forward with Darnold instead despite how the first 5 years of his career has gone. What does that tell you?

Tells me the offseason hasn't really started yet.

The most objective evaluation is production statistics.

In that area Zach is quite poor.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

58 minutes ago, football guy said:

Respectfully, this makes no sense. Here's the explanation from the Jets perspective in more specific terms... 

At this moment, Zach is the 6th youngest QB in the NFL. The Jets invested the #2 pick in him because of his upside, which they feel he still possesses. The Jets also have learned from their mistake(s) of starting a talented QB immediately and would rather build a "pipeline" at the position going forward, with a heavier emphasis on drafting & developing talent before forcing them into the lineup. Unless that player is an absolute prodigy, there will never be a day 1 rookie starting QB while Woody Johnson is owner, and Douglas/Saleh believe that you need a QB with the kind of playmaking ability that Zach possesses (coupled with down-to-down consistency) in order to have a truly sustainable contender year-in and year-out (see Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen). 

Several high-profile QB draft prospects in the 2023 class are older than Zach Wilson, namely  Will Levis, Hendon Hooker, Jake Haener, Aidan O'Connell, Clayton Tune, Stetson Bennett, and several others. If Zach were in this draft class, he'd likely still go in round 1 (round 2 the latest). If the goal is to foster an environment where talented QBs can develop behind established starters, why wouldn't the team start with Wilson who they already have invested in and still believe has elite-level arm talent and great work ethic? If he can't improve behind the scenes for the season the solution is simple: replace him with someone else in the 2024 draft, sit and develop that player, then give him an opportunity to start in 2025 or 2026. In short: they're going to treat Zach like they would any other day 2 rookie. He's going to get at least a year, if not 2, to prove that he can develop into a starter. If he does make that turnaround and becomes a good starter in 2 years, the Jets will look like geniuses and will have a potential franchise QB under the age of 25. If he flops, they'll simply move on and find another highly talented QB to develop next year. That's the plan. 

The timing however is not 4 years, it’s 2 years and Zach has proven to have issues that are not easily solved (hence the regression from year 1 to year 2).

How is he going to prove he is a legit starter when he won’t be starting?  They thought he was ready to start year 1 until the season progressed, meaning he might show better in camp and other sessions than in real games before real crowds who he will no longer get a pass from.

If he somehow passed the first gate above, why would he stay with the Jets after year 4 when he would have other options to choose from.  The same organization and coaching staff that threw him into a fire in season 1 and failed to develop him in year 2.  

9 minutes ago, IndianaJet said:

If he sits the entire 2023 season, they'll need to decide whether to commit to paying him a guaranteed $20-$25 million for the 2025 season, without seeing any further game action from him (barring a 2023 injury to whichever vet is brought it).

That leaves them in a bind similar to what the Giants are facing with Jones.

Really good point, I guess they are content with going by OTA’s, Training Camp and Preseason… which is extremely dangerous, any action that isn’t live reg season action can be quite misleading.

2 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The whole zac wilson thing with fans is the very epitome of letting personal feelings about a player get in the way with what is best for the team. 

I came back to this forum after the season ended just to see if other posters were as done with Wilson as I am. 

surprisingly not, there’s a lot of posters who still believe him in and think there can be a plan put in place to have him realize his potential. The timing and the contract doesn’t add up.

He’s toast… and rightfully so. He played worse than Darnold with a better supporting cast. Don’t care how nice the arm is.. dude just isn’t capable of reading NFL defenses at the speed necessary to succeed.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Patriot Killa said:

I came back to this forum after the season ended just to see if other posters were as done with Wilson as I am. 

surprisingly not, there’s a lot of posters who still believe him in and think there can be a plan put in place to have him realize his potential. The timing and the contract doesn’t add up.

He’s toast… and rightfully so. He played worse than Darnold with a better supporting cast. Don’t care how nice the arm is.. dude just isn’t capable of reading NFL defenses at the speed necessary to succeed.

All true, so what do you do?  If you are a smart GM you try and salvage something from a failed prospect.  If you are a dumb GM you toss the guy right now and watch him do something for another team perhaps.  Wilson does a lot of things wrong but as I've said before the thing he does right is not turn it over constantly.

23 minutes ago, Warfish said:

Including several who've been fired for it.

Tells me the offseason hasn't really started yet.

The most objective evaluation is production statistics.

In that area Zach is quite poor.

Not true. For a fan using statistics may be more convenient way of evaluating production, but it's not objective for those who do this for a living... context is far more important.

8 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

All true, so what do you do?  If you are a smart GM you try and salvage something from a failed prospect.  If you are a dumb GM you toss the guy right now and watch him do something for another team perhaps.  Wilson does a lot of things wrong but as I've said before the thing he does right is not turn it over constantly.

Where do you think he fits in on the timeline to have it make sense & actually be beneficial to the Jets though?

barring an injury to our new QB1, (whoever that will be) he will not be on the field to show progression or give the organization much of a reason to keep him. the only thing I can say is you give him 2023 and let him compete for the starting position in 2024 (a year before the 5th year option) … which sounds more feasible with Rodgers out there being that he’s 40 years old then if we had 30 year old Derek Carr out there.

imo, Carr being in place sort of makes it tougher to give Wilson another chance. Rodgers is probably the perfect scenario if you are a guy who wants to see Zach get one more chance.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, football guy said:

I don't know that Rodgers wants to play as long as Brady did. Rodgers has wavered on retirement for a while now and seemed to indicate his extension last year was his last contract. Even so, I think people are getting too caught up with the notion that they want a specific QB because of Zach Wilson. I think its more of a scenario where they recognize that the only way to be a sustainable winner is by finding a young "franchise" QB, and starting a young QB day 1 in our market does not work. Thus, they would rather foster an environment for young QBs to develop and grow behind an established starter. Zach is pupil #1 because he's insanely talented and already under contract, but if they decided he can't be fixed after this season they would look to draft and develop someone next year anyway... as long as Woody Johnson is owner and this administration is here, there will be no more rookie day 1 starting QBs for the Jets. 

Good post, but I lost faith in ZW because he just doesn't seem to be mentally tough and coupled wit what seems tobe a issue with processing the D pre/post snap (not all the time but most of the time).  What I mean is - and this is jut my observation from a distance - he seem to wilt under pressure (year 1 and 2)  wheather preceived or real. 

Its one thing to be confident in ones ability but when the rough times come and they do, its people with strong mental fortiude that usually prevail.  From what I have observed these last two years... body language, demeanor on the side line and play, I do not believe he has it... hopefully, I am wrong. 

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Several high-profile QB draft prospects in the 2023 class are older than Zach Wilson, namely  Will Levis, Hendon Hooker, Jake Haener, Aidan O'Connell, Clayton Tune, Stetson Bennett, and several others.

Just for fun....QBs that are younger than Stetson Bennett:  Jalen Hurts, Justin Herbert, Jordan Love.

Sam Darnold, Daniel Jones, and Lamar Jackson were born the same year as Bennet.  Sam and Lamar have 5 years of experience in the league.  Crazy.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The timing however is not 4 years, it’s 2 years and Zach has proven to have issues that are not easily solved (hence the regression from year 1 to year 2).

How is he going to prove he is a legit starter when he won’t be starting?  They thought he was ready to start year 1 until the season progressed, meaning he might show better in camp and other sessions than in real games before real crowds who he will no longer get a pass from.

If he somehow passed the first gate above, why would he stay with the Jets after year 4 when he would have other options to choose from.  The same organization and coaching staff that threw him into a fire in season 1 and failed to develop him in year 2.  

I don't think they legitimately felt he was "ready to start" and handle the pressure year 1 just as 99% of rookie QBs aren't. I think they rationalized that it was a development year and MLF led everyone to believe that Zach was ready to start in his offense which played into it. That was on the Jets. If I'm running a team, I need to know without an ounce of doubt that my QB is ready before starting him week 1... I would've challenged him and purposefully held him out for a few weeks before putting him in, but that's just me. I'm sure had Greg Knapp been here, he would've found ways to ease things for both Wilson and MLF to make it a little easier on the both of them, but MLF did not anticipate how difficult it would be to work with a rookie QB. So his untimely and tragic passing did not help. They'll also point to an inexperienced staff/coaching and injuries as reasons for his regression. 

As far as proving he can be a starter: I think the only way you will know for sure is by seeing him play on the field. But again, how do the Packers know that Love is ready? How did the Packers know Rodgers was ready? Both those guys looked awful early in their careers in limited action. How do all these teams who had young QBs sitting on the bench know they were ready? It's everything they see behind the scenes. They want to see more consistency, urgency, confidence, and poise out of Zach and a lot of that can be seen in meetings, on the practice field, in scrimmages/preseason, and anticipate what they see will translate to on-field success. If he gives you enough of a reason to believe that he has found his groove and has the potential to be a high-end starter, they'll give him that chance in a year or 2 while hedging (whether it be adding a veteran to compete or by drafting a guy in rounds 1-2 like the Packers did when they drafted Brian Brohm before Aaron even started a single game). 

• Upvote 2