Edsen JR- Zach & Mimsie for Sutton Place

hmhertz

4 minutes ago, football guy said:

Ben Albright is floating this because Sean Payton is a believer in Zach's talent. If they were to make this trade, the Broncos would be acquiring Zach to give Payton a prospect to sit and develop behind a similar style QB in Russell Wilson for 1-2 years, then turn to after potentially moving on from RW. 

Breaking News: Joe Douglas/Robert Saleh don't want to give up on Zach for the same reasons why Sean Payton would want him; they want to sit and develop him behind an established starter - ideally for at least a year - and see if they can unlock him. 

Do you see signing a 31 year old free agent like Derek Carr to a multi-year deal consistent with this philosophy?

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

Do you see signing a 31 year old free agent like Derek Carr to a multi-year deal consistent with this philosophy?

That's the thing: I don't think they have any desires to commit more than 2 years to Carr. It's not solely because of Zach, more so because they likely don't see Carr as a long-term elite starting QB who can lift the team around him in 2025, 2026, 2027... they think Zach has the talent to be that kind of player, but if he doesn't improve they'll look to take another QB and develop him behind Carr for a year then likely move on unless Carr (or whoever else they add) played at a level that convinces them to ditch that plan and move forward with the veteran QB

9 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

While I understand this way of thinking, you won’t truly know if he’s unlocked once we sign a veteran quarterback and he’s here for multiple years. He’s never going to see the field unless there’s an injury. The Jets are not gonna pick up his fifth year option so any quarterback that’s here will be here while Zach’s contract runs out. Especially if they signed Carr for 4-5 years. If the Jets truly believed in his talent, they wouldn’t be looking for a replacement for multiple years.

They'll get a good idea this year. Everyone has to play before knowing for sure, but I think there's enough time in training camp, preseason, practice, meetings, etc. for them to tell whether Zach took the necessary strides their looking for 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

I mean does anyone really think they're giving up on Zach before 2025?

If you do get used to being angry... 

The best move the team can make is Rodgers for 2 years then the return of a revamped Zach.  Best short and long term solution.   

There is no close second scenario. 

Rodgers may be emerging from the darkness as we speak. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

Ben Albright is floating this because Sean Payton is a believer in Zach's talent. If they were to make this trade, the Broncos would be acquiring Zach to give Payton a prospect to sit and develop behind a similar style QB in Russell Wilson for 1-2 years, then turn to after potentially moving on from RW. 

Breaking News: Joe Douglas/Robert Saleh don't want to give up on Zach for the same reasons why Sean Payton would want him; they want to sit and develop him behind an established starter - ideally for at least a year - and see if they can unlock him. 

I’m a bit confused here.  The Jets have him on a 4 year contract and would need to exercise his 5th year after this upcoming season (year 3) when they will start a veteran QB.

Are you suggesting the Jets are leaning toward picking up year 5 after the upcoming season in which Wilson isn’t expected to start?

Could this happen?  Possibly if they believe in a year from now that Wilson truly has solved his problems (Yips, mechanics, processing, etc..) and they don’t need live action to prove it.

That would seem to be a big gamble because it’s the live rounds that Wilson has struggled most with.

I don’t know man.  It would seem A LOT would have to happen to change the organization’s current assessment of him ABSENT live rounds.

I think they are in salvage mode here to improve him to a point where he can surprise in Preseason 2023 and then be traded.

• Upvote 4

42 minutes ago, football guy said:

Yep. And that’s why Rodgers is the main target.  No telling if Rodgers buys into this plan. I’m guessing he would play until 46 like Brady. But it also leaves out guys like Carr and possibly garapollo.

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

You might be too attached to this Zach thing and your sources might not be completely honest with you.

The tea leaves are what they are and Zach — absent a turnaround for the ages — most likely doesn’t have a future home with the Jets.  It is only wishful thinking to feel otherwise after witnessing the regression we saw this year and to see him utterly lose the confidence of his teammates who are ready to win now.  

Yes he did regress but how much of that can be placed on the oline or milfy.  I think it’s more than has been let on and speaks to the fact they launched benson and Austin along with milfy.

• Thumb Down 1

22 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Yep. And that’s why Rodgers is the main target.  No telling if Rodgers buys into this plan. I’m guessing he would play until 46 like Brady. But it also leaves out guys like Carr and possibly garapollo.

I don't know that Rodgers wants to play as long as Brady did. Rodgers has wavered on retirement for a while now and seemed to indicate his extension last year was his last contract. Even so, I think people are getting too caught up with the notion that they want a specific QB because of Zach Wilson. I think its more of a scenario where they recognize that the only way to be a sustainable winner is by finding a young "franchise" QB, and starting a young QB day 1 in our market does not work. Thus, they would rather foster an environment for young QBs to develop and grow behind an established starter. Zach is pupil #1 because he's insanely talented and already under contract, but if they decided he can't be fixed after this season they would look to draft and develop someone next year anyway... as long as Woody Johnson is owner and this administration is here, there will be no more rookie day 1 starting QBs for the Jets. 

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, rangerous said:

Yes he did regress but how much of that can be placed on the oline or milfy.  I think it’s more than has been let on and speaks to the fact they launched benson and Austin along with milfy.

They didn't "launch" Austin.  He was suspended for gambling.  I don't even think he was with the team for the last two or three games last season.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I’m a bit confused here.  The Jets have him on a 4 year contract and would need to exercise his 5th year after this upcoming season (year 3) when they will start a veteran QB.

Are you suggesting the Jets are leaning toward picking up year 5 after the upcoming season in which Wilson isn’t expected to start?

Could this happen?  Possibly if they believe in a year from now that Wilson truly has solved his problems (Yips, mechanics, processing, etc..) and they don’t need live action to prove it.

That would seem to be a big gamble because it’s the live rounds that Wilson has struggled most with.

I don’t know man.  It would seem A LOT would have to happen to change the organization’s current assessment of him ABSENT live rounds.

I think they are in salvage mode here to improve him to a point where he can surprise in Preseason 2023 and then be traded.

55 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

You might be too attached to this Zach thing and your sources might not be completely honest with you.

The tea leaves are what they are and Zach — absent a turnaround for the ages — most likely doesn’t have a future home with the Jets.  It is only wishful thinking to feel otherwise after witnessing the regression we saw this year and to see him utterly lose the confidence of his teammates who are ready to win now.  

Guys I don’t care if Biden himself says the Jets believe in Zach.

Zach Wilson was benched for a CFL QB who can’t throw a forward pass 

And besides the contract doesn’t line as pointed out above, no way they pick up Zachs option with soooooo many young players we will have to soon pay.

Its insane some around here still believe the Jets lies 

Happy Big Brother GIF by MOODMAN

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, football guy said:

Okay, by my count that’s three of the best minds in the NFL that think Zach has real talent….Lynch/Shanahan, Roseman and now Payton. Yet JD is a dope because he feels the same way?  

• Upvote 3
  • WTF? 1

3 minutes ago, football guy said:

Respectfully, this makes no sense. Here's the explanation from the Jets perspective in more specific terms... 

At this moment, Zach is the 6th youngest QB in the NFL. The Jets invested the #2 pick in him because of his upside, which they feel he still possesses. The Jets also have learned from their mistake(s) of starting a talented QB immediately and would rather build a "pipeline" at the position going forward, with a heavier emphasis on drafting & developing talent before forcing them into the lineup. Unless that player is an absolute prodigy, there will never be a day 1 rookie starting QB while Woody Johnson is owner, and Douglas/Saleh believe that you need a QB with the kind of playmaking ability that Zach possesses (coupled with down-to-down consistency) in order to have a truly sustainable contender year-in and year-out (see Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen). 

Several high-profile QB draft prospects in the 2023 class are older than Zach Wilson, namely  Will Levis, Hendon Hooker, Jake Haener, Aidan O'Connell, Clayton Tune, Stetson Bennett, and several others. If Zach were in this draft class, he'd likely still go in round 1 (round 2 the latest). If the goal is to foster an environment where talented QBs can develop behind established starters, why wouldn't the team start with Wilson who they already have invested in and still believe has elite-level arm talent and great work ethic? If he can't improve behind the scenes for the season the solution is simple: replace him with someone else in the 2024 draft, sit and develop him, then give him an opportunity to start in 2025 or 2026. In short: they're going to treat Zach like they would any other day 2 rookie. He's going to get at least a year, if not 2, to prove that he can develop into a starter. If he does make a turnaround and becomes a good start in 2 years, the Jets will look like geniuses and will have a potential franchise QB under the age of 25. If he flops, they'll simply move on and find another highly talented QB to develop next year. That's the plan. 

Bro you did this same song and dance with darnold, darnold is so young, he was viewed highly by the Jets and executives around the league according to you and no matter what we said you preached this as the gospel.

You were wrong just like you are wrong now sorry

• Upvote 5
  • Thumb Down 1

7 minutes ago, football guy said:

Respectfully, this makes no sense. Here's the explanation from the Jets perspective in more specific terms... 

At this moment, Zach is the 6th youngest QB in the NFL. The Jets invested the #2 pick in him because of his upside, which they feel he still possesses. The Jets also have learned from their mistake(s) of starting a talented QB immediately and would rather build a "pipeline" at the position going forward, with a heavier emphasis on drafting & developing talent before forcing them into the lineup. Unless that player is an absolute prodigy, there will never be a day 1 rookie starting QB while Woody Johnson is owner, and Douglas/Saleh believe that you need a QB with the kind of playmaking ability that Zach possesses (coupled with down-to-down consistency) in order to have a truly sustainable contender year-in and year-out (see Patrick Mahomes, Josh Allen). 

Several high-profile QB draft prospects in the 2023 class are older than Zach Wilson, namely  Will Levis, Hendon Hooker, Jake Haener, Aidan O'Connell, Clayton Tune, Stetson Bennett, and several others. If Zach were in this draft class, he'd likely still go in round 1 (round 2 the latest). If the goal is to foster an environment where talented QBs can develop behind established starters, why wouldn't the team start with Wilson who they already have invested in and still believe has elite-level arm talent and great work ethic? If he can't improve behind the scenes for the season the solution is simple: replace him with someone else in the 2024 draft, sit and develop him, then give him an opportunity to start in 2025 or 2026. In short: they're going to treat Zach like they would any other day 2 rookie. He's going to get at least a year, if not 2, to prove that he can develop into a starter. If he does make a turnaround and becomes a good start in 2 years, the Jets will look like geniuses and will have a potential franchise QB under the age of 25. If he flops, they'll simply move on and find another highly talented QB to develop next year. That's the plan. 

Stetson Bennett? That guy is a year away from Medicare.?

• Haha 4