Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

Yet ironically he may actually get the ball though. 

Be interested to see what happens with him when he loafs on a route and AR takes him to task . Does he sulk and pout or put on his big boy pants and go to work.  I absolved Moore of some blame when I found out how bad the MLF situation was, but you can't deny that he openly took plays off and quit on plays last season. 

Unlike the beat reporters, Graziano - right now, live on Get Up - has not confirmed the Jets and Rodgers have spoken yet. But he thinks they will.

Let's stop posting Graziano reports. He is useless to us. 

Can we merge this into the Rodgers-palooza thread so it's easier to follow the conversation?

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Presuming Wingo/Pauline hit on this one, the next bit of news we’ll get is that Rodgers is scheduled to visit Florham Park toward the end of this week. Imagining that @football guy or @Mogglez will have that bit before the national guys. 

Timeline:

1. Rodgers is scheduled to meet with Jets at 1FP

2. Douglas and Packers are haggling over compensation.

4. Douglas and Rodgers hammering out new “contract structure.” (jets getting cap protections in case of retirement; Rodgers getting boatload of cash in exchange for promises to acquire the guys he wants: Lazard? Cobb? Bakhtiari? 

5. Media runs with story about Dolphins/Panthers swooping in at 11th hour to offer “megadeal.”

6. Next Tuesday, Aaron Rodgers is in 1FP taking pictures holding up a Jets #9 jersey or some sh*t. 

7. March 15th: Lazard gets 4/$80; Bakhtiari traded for Becton and a pick swap. 

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

especially number 5

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

3-4 maybe but not 6 (see OP).

The salary cap is a real thing that needs to be managed and we have a healthy Brown (who played w/ a torn rotator cuff), a leaner Becton, a healthy Mitchell (according to Saleh), a healthy AVT, and Tomlinson (salary cap) who are going no where.

We need a (i) 4th OT who they’ll prepare to start next year at the very least, (ii) starting Center, (iii) starting quality IOL who can back-up at Center or start at Guard if Tomlinson doesn’t step up, (iv) another back-up IOL.

Startling Line-up

LT— Brown or Becton + (i) First round pick

LG— Tomlinson or (iii) Herbig (pay market premium to return as a top backup / potential starter)

C— This is the (ii) free agent splash but it won’t be McGoven

RG— AVT + (iv) late round draft pick

RT— Becton or Mitchell

well like i said, the post i quoted said - 4 OL isn't crazy.  6 honestly isn't either.  with the way these linemen tend to get injured here, the depth is needed.  

2 minutes ago, JiF4Lamar said:

What I find hilarious about this stalemate is if the Ravens just kept tagging Jackson, they end up paying him 100mil guaranteed just placing on the franchise tag for 2 seasons.  So?  Why not just cough it up?  There isnt a single player in the NFL more valuable to him team (when available) and it's either that guy or reset and start over.  I know the Ravens have been thought of as a smart functioning organization but Bisciotti being the scumbag hie is and playing collusion w/ his buddies, is going to **** that team so hard because one of the owners is giving him the wink wink nod nod no more guaranteed contracts b.s. chatter but will 100% give Lamar what he wants if they do slap the nonexclusive on him.

Can’t disagree. The Browns and Watson opened that floodgate, and it’s about time it was opened. The owners are clearly colluding in an attempt to put the genie back in the bottle but, like you say, there’s probably one who’ll pull the trigger for him. They need to calculate whether they want to be the ones to do that, or if they’re better off letting a disgruntled player go. I understand Jackson’s motivations for not returning from injury last season but, also, that’s something of an ugly “me first,” attitude that most likely cost the Ravens the playoffs. That could be a tough pill for the organization to swallow. Ravens currently have $22M in cap room, a $45M tag would not be a comfortable fit for them, and a team signing him to an offer sheet could front load a deal in a way that would make it difficult for the Ravens to match. It’s gonna be interesting to see. I think Lamar is being hard-headed, but the Harbaughs are equally capable in that regard. 

10 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

While you were there did you notice it was a delayed 6 man blitz where the 6th guy came after the o-line & rb committed? That was on White.

The o-line was very obviously better w/out Wilson.

Was horrific ... even the Buffalo fans were shocked.

22 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I remember driving back from Detroit, listening to FAN in NY when I heard from fatcessa that parcells was the new jet coach. If Rodgers comes on board today it will be pretty exciting news.

I'd be pretty excited too , if I was driving away from Detroit ?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

While you were there did you notice it was a delayed 6 man blitz where the 6th guy came after the o-line & rb committed? That was on White.

The o-line was very obviously better w/out Wilson.

I just think its more complicated than one guy ... maybe not.   I would love nothing more than to not have to draft 4 linemen ... but to say I am not Jealous of the walls built on other teams would be lying. (Eagles, Chiefs, Bengals) You know ... teams with successful QBs.

6 minutes ago, heymangold said:

well like i said, the post i quoted said - 4 OL isn't crazy.  6 honestly isn't either.  with the way these linemen tend to get injured here, the depth is needed.  

They’re getting new turf next year. No more injuries. It’s gonna be great. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, football guy said:

Just my thought: Aaron is weighing whether he wants to play for the Packers or the Jets right now. If he was retiring I can't see him even speaking to other teams. The Packers want a decision from him before free agency as do the Jets. We've gone through all the rounds by now on what other teams could be fits, and the Jets clearly believe they're the best fit for him. I think Miami is a legit option, but don't think they've shown any aggressive pursuit because where they stand with Tua. Other suitors (Vegas, Tennessee) appear to be headed in entirely different directions. 

I would figure that Rodgers wants to play for a team who wants him, who is good enough to compete for a championship, who is committed to building around him, and where there's some sort of familiarity. The Packers have held joint practices with the Jets for 2 years in a row now, so there's been plenty of engagement with many people in our organization and on the team including Saleh and JD. He's been able to admire what we're building (his words) and could tell just in practices how dramatically the team improved from year 1 to year 2 under Saleh. We already know he has a relationship with Hackett. He has a relationship with Zach. They're loaded on defense and they're committed to winning now on Rodgers' timeline, whereas the Packers are not. I'm sure he's thought about the possibility a lot already, but now its becoming real. You would think he's also going to want to see who he can get to come with him if he does in fact accept a trade here. I don't know that he has to visit the facility because he knows enough from people that are here, who have been here (Favre). Since last week the Jets said they fully expected his decision by the 12th (their artificial deadline) which is still 5 days away... that gives Aaron a lot of time to see who would join him. 

I don't know that it goes down today or tomorrow but I do think we will know for sure what happens by Friday. I do think he understands how important it is to get something done before free agency and because of that he won't waste time the way people think he will 

Small point of correction - Farve could give his perspective on playing for the fanbase - and maybe Woody - but otherwise it was an entirely different regime, different training facility (Favre was at Hofstra) and different stadium.

Just now, heymangold said:

I agreed, just pointed back to the original post because we have players who aren’t going anywhere so 4 is the cap unless they choose to carry an extra lineman (which I don’t believe they will do because they don’t have the draft picks and a free agent signing up for this is practice squad material).

I wrote 3-4 because I consider Herbig as part of the current line, although technically he no longer is so you are ultimately right, 4 is the key number but only 1 of those 4 (Center) is a starter on paper at this point.  

15 hours ago, JetNation said:

Woody-Johnson-scaled.jpg

Jets owner Woody Johnson is reportedly the reason why Gang Green didn’t make an offer to New Orleans Saints quarterback Derek Carr as the team set it sights on Aaron Rodgers.  This, according to NFL insider Matthew Berry.  In discussing the “buzz” going on this past weekend at the NFL scouting combine, Berry had this to say about Carr and the Jets:

As long as we are talking big-name quarterbacks, despite all the rumors of Derek Carr going to the Jets, one thing that held that up was that Jets owner Woody Johnson really wants Aaron Rodgers. So, the staff has had to be supportive of that. However, secretly, the rest of the team’s front office wanted Derek Carr. Now that Carr is reportedly signing with New Orleans, the Jets are in “Hoping for Rodgers” mode. If that doesn’t work out… who knows?

As we speculated just hours ago, it appears Johnson is heavily involved in the team’s pursuit for a quarterback and ownership was happy to let Carr walk while they wait on Rodgers, whose future is known only to the quarterback.

If the report is accurate, it means the team’s front office was willing to make a run at Carr but the pursuit of Rodgers put any potential offers on hold.  Rodgers has been silent since saying last week that he didn’t want to “drag things out” in terms of announcing his decision on the 2023 season.

Should the team’s “plan A” fall through, expect the team to pivot to oft injured veteran Jimmy Garoppolo.

The post Report Claims Woody Johnson Held up Potential Carr Signing appeared first on JetNation.com (NY Jets Blog & Forum).

Click here to read the full story...

So much for JD running the team 

• Upvote 2

Just now, Dunnie said:

I just think its more complicated than one guy ... maybe not.   I would love nothing more than to not have to draft 4 linemen ... but to say I am not Jealous of the walls built on other teams would be lying. (Eagles, Chiefs, Bengals) You know ... teams with successful QBs.

Which of those teams drafted four OL after taking two in the first round over the previous three years? 

Just now, slats said:

Which of those teams drafted four OL after taking two in the first round over the previous three years? 

As I told Jif ... My original post was exaggerated a bit to emphasize the importance. But - I still maintain its the highest priority this offseason by far.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Dunnie said:

Free agency has to be ..

OL, OL, OL, OL

Draft has to be ...

WR, OL, OL, QB, LB

I'm sure Rodgers has made this clear.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

They have plenty of interior lineman.  If AVT is back in good order, he can play RT.  They BADLY need one more high quality OT.  I've settled on Skoronski as the prospect I would like most followed by Paris Johnson.  Depending on what the Jets give in trade for Rodgers, they may not have a second round pick this year or perhaps a third round pick.  Hard to say until we hear what the deal will be.

8 minutes ago, football guy said:

Just my thought: Aaron is weighing whether he wants to play for the Packers or the Jets right now. If he was retiring I can't see him even speaking to other teams. The Packers want a decision from him before free agency as do the Jets. We've gone through all the rounds by now on what other teams could be fits, and the Jets clearly believe they're the best fit for him. I think Miami is a legit option, but don't think they've shown any aggressive pursuit because where they stand with Tua. Other suitors (Vegas, Tennessee) appear to be headed in entirely different directions. 

I would figure that Rodgers wants to play for a team who wants him, who is good enough to compete for a championship, who is committed to building around him, and where there's some sort of familiarity. The Packers have held joint practices with the Jets for 2 years in a row now, so there's been plenty of engagement with many people in our organization and on the team including Saleh and JD. He's been able to admire what we're building (his words) and could tell just in practices how dramatically the team improved from year 1 to year 2 under Saleh. We already know he has a relationship with Hackett. He has a relationship with Zach. They're loaded on defense and they're committed to winning now on Rodgers' timeline, whereas the Packers are not. I'm sure he's thought about the possibility a lot already, but now its becoming real. You would think he's also going to want to see who he can get to come with him if he does in fact accept a trade here. I don't know that he has to visit the facility because he knows enough from people that are here, who have been here (Favre). Since last week the Jets said they fully expected his decision by the 12th (their artificial deadline) which is still 5 days away... that gives Aaron a lot of time to see who would join him. 

I don't know that it goes down today or tomorrow but I do think we will know for sure what happens by Friday. I do think he understands how important it is to get something done before free agency and because of that he won't waste time the way people think he will 

Completely agree.

Fridays are slow news days and next week will be the start of other football news.

The guy has a healthy ego, meaning this will be done by Thursday the latest to get the most amount of attention.  I personally expect tomorrow 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, CanadienJetsFan said:

This news makes sense and also explains the Carr/Saints signing. He  must have been told yesterday that the Jets aren’t going to sign him.

pretty sure i saw a mention somewhere that the jets informed carr that they won't be making an offer at this point

6 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Small point of correction - Farve could give his perspective on playing for the fanbase - and maybe Woody - but otherwise it was an entirely different regime, different training facility (Favre was at Hofstra) and different stadium.

My point was more so in terms of living in the area. Obviously the organization is much different

And now we all know why the Jets can’t find a good coach. Only a moron would work for a moron. And this is a perfect example. Reminds me of woody insisting on the Tebow signing 10 years ago only for the sole purpose of selling jerseys. And Rex was all on board. How did that work out?

Under Woodys leadership the Jets are a rudderless ship a drift in a sea of feces

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

we aren't drafting 4 o-linemen. It's a ridiculous idea.

2 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Completely agree.

Fridays are slow news days and next week will be the start of other football news.

The guy has a healthy ego, meaning this will be done by Thursday the latest to get the most amount of attention.  I personally expect tomorrow 

I keep wondering if he makes a surprise appearance on McAfee today to set the record straight lol

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, Scott Dierking said:

You totally obfuscate the entire premise that led us to this back and forth. My stating that if the Jets do not get a high profile qb this offseason, that "Woody would have egg on his face". Particularly after he injected himself in the media stating such importance of the Jets upgrading the position. Especially after he raised ticket prices, and then had the team fall flat.

Woody is embarrassed by last seasons end. Which I am glad he is. But it worries me when he becomes involved in high profile decisions (as he has done in the past), because he often confuses things.

All that said, it is his right, he signs the checks. Your inference is that he does not get involved in any of these matters. Evidence clearly points the other direction. And that is not me inferring that he is on the phone with JD, quibbling over a 3rd round draft pick or a back up LB free agent. BUT, we have reams of evidence that he does have some say on the imprint of this team. Ad again, that is his right.

And yeah, no kidding JD will eventually be the fall guy. Owners don't fire themselves. 

All this is just deflection from JD's responsibility to get us a QB. 

Hell, the "Woody interfered" story may even be leaked by JD (or his allies) himself after he failed to land Carr, lol.  Lord knows that how Mac did things as GM here. 

Now, if he fails to land Rodgers too, and leaves us with some third-tier guy or worse, Wilson again, the leaked narrative will be "well, can't blame JD, the Owner ****ed it all up, JD wanted Carr all along and had him locked down.  Remember the "Carr is leaning Jets" leak story.....". 

Blaming the boogey-man of the interfering owner is a universal get out of jail with some fans, more of the same old excuse making. It's meaningless.  And depsite you claim, it's rarely supported by actual evidence, usually just media speculation and axe-grinding leakers.

It's JD's job and his job alone to build this team and find us a QB.  If he can't do it because the Owner interferes, he should quit and work for a team without such an Owner.  Since he hasn't quit, I don't believe it's happening to the degree some speculate it is.

I'm shocked that more folks aren't blaming Woody for Zach Wilson, but I'm sure that'll come in time, when all the Wilson fans finally realize they're wrong and start looking for someone to blame, lol.

• Upvote 1