Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I don’t know much about the cap but it seems to me a short term cap hit is better than giving up draft picks.  I’m sure Douglas has this figured out. I hope the jets haven’t telegraphed their move so much that the packers get more than they should.

Throw in Braden Mann as a sweetener and let’s call it a day.

1 hour ago, pointman said:

Dear Baltimore, make it difficult. Non exclusive tag Lamar. Please and thank you. 

I could see Baltimore and the Jets scratch each others back on this one with some coordinated back door stuff. Jets use Baltimore/Lamar to leverage GB trade, Baltimore uses Jets to lowball offer Lamar and try to set his expectations lower.

7 minutes ago, rangerous said:

I don’t know much about the cap but it seems to me a short term cap hit is better than giving up draft picks.  I’m sure Douglas has this figured out. I hope the jets haven’t telegraphed their move so much that the packers get more than they should.

I actually think it's a late term cap hit that is the concern.  My understanding, and this could be wrong and misinterpreting but people here have explained it to, is that if Rodgers retires after his 2nd year with us (after 2024) we'll have a $60mm dead cap hit.

So he makes cap hit wise, about $30mm this year, $30mm next year - then it's a $60mm dead cap hit if he retires.  It's the last $60mm I think it the problem.

13 hours ago, JETS SB said:

I think we aren’t giving JD enough credit here. Either :

1) He has some intel that Rodgers wants to come here and the Packers don’t want him and it’s just a matter of compensation at this point

2) JD liked the Jimmy G fallback option enough to let Carr go and his transition here would be as easy as any other option available, other than Rodgers

3) Carr was never playing here. He used us to get more money from New Orleans and gave them time to clear cap space. 

Whatever the reason, I may be in the minority, but I have faith in JD to make the appropriate deal. Yes he struck out on Zach, but he has done enough in last years draft and with trades, to give me confidence he knows what he is doing. 

I don't care about #3 but I hope and pray #s 1 & 2 are true.  

5 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

I actually think it's a late term cap hit that is the concern.  My understanding, and this could be wrong and misinterpreting but people here have explained it to, is that if Rodgers retires after his 2nd year with us (after 2024) we'll have a $60mm dead cap hit.

So he makes cap hit wise, about $30mm this year, $30mm next year - then it's a $60mm dead cap hit if he retires.  It's the last $60mm I think it the problem.

I believe you are right and I can see the Jets trying to cut that in half with the Packers eating $20M and Rodgers eating $10M.  All sides need to give here and that has been part of the discussion.

For Rodgers, this is not just about being paid but it’s about legacy.  His ego LOVES the idea of winning big in NY and his sponsorships will MORE than make up giving back $10M to make this happen.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Jetsplayer21 said:

I have to disagree. Rodgers coming here is JD’s Alamo, the last ditch effort to cling on desperate hope Zach Wilson can be his starting qb one day. ANY other qb can easily solidify his position here for next 4, 10 years. It won’t take much for a decent qb to exceed expectations here. Rodgers likely would only be a 2 yr rental, maybe even 1. Giving JD another chance to roll out his prize piece 1 more time. Woody won’t let JD play Zach now, probably won’t even let him be the number 2 next yr. But JD would have 2 years to prepare a love story speech to woody about a boy named Zach.. 

Yeah, no. Douglas has shown a clear MO in his style as a GM. Build through the draft (not always successfully), get rid of big contracts that aren't producing or who don't fit the system, leverage financially attractive trades, steer the ship with deliberation and patience. He's never been desperate, even when fans thought he should be. Woody, on the other hand, has made clear his frustration and displeasure with where the team is at and I'm pretty sure is drinking the same koolaid as some here who think a 40 year old ambivalent Aaron Rodgers is going to sweep the team to a Super Bowl. Woody is the one who is demanding Rodgers. He's the one who had to nix the Carr deal. And he's either going to overpay for Rodgers, or watch Rodgers retire. He's the gambler in this, not Douglas. It's his money, sadly.

2 minutes ago, y2k8 said:

Between the national guys and the Jets beat reporters, you would think someone else would have verified by now. 

Trey Wingo has friends on the packers... One is probably on AR inner circle... Hence why he tweeted 2 years ago that Rodgers was coming back if Cobb was signed. 

The reason why nobody else has it is because he probably hasn't told anyone yet other then discussing with friends... 

Now the packers and Jets are probably ironing out a trade package that is fair and maybe includes other players so... It might take a second. 

JD hates leaks in his building and even put out false stories to find leaks a few years back... So like most of the front office of the jets at the moment they are all tight lipped much like the hill almost trade

• Upvote 2
  • Thumb Down 1
  • Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, pointman said:

Dear Baltimore, make it difficult. Non exclusive tag Lamar. Please and thank you. 

The exclusive tag is gonna cost something like $46M before new contracts are handed out this year. I don’t think Baltimore wants that to be the starting point for negotiations on a longer term deal. Also think that rumors of a significant rift between Lamar and the Ravens probably has a good deal of truth to it. If that’s the case, I think the non-exclusive tag becomes likely. They risk losing the player for “only” two first round picks, but the alternative is the potential that Lamar sits out the season because that’s about as hard-headed as he’s appeared in his negotiating stance. Worst case scenario for the Ravens would then be to have someone sign Lamar to an offer sheet after the draft that they can’t/won’t match, but they may just be happy to get rid of a headache. Be interesting to see. 

• Upvote 1

Imminent is a strong word.  When I'm ready to go #2, I like to use the word, "activated" but I gotta say, I think I'm going to start incorporating imminent. 

Mrs. JiF - can you hold our Son for a few minutes, my #2 is imminent. 

Damn, I like that! 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Presuming Wingo/Pauline hit on this one, the next bit of news we’ll get is that Rodgers is scheduled to visit Florham Park toward the end of this week. Imagining that @football guy or @Mogglez will have that bit before the national guys. 

Timeline:

1. Rodgers is scheduled to meet with Jets at 1FP

2. Douglas and Packers are haggling over compensation.

4. Douglas and Rodgers hammering out new “contract structure.” (jets getting cap protections in case of retirement; Rodgers getting boatload of cash in exchange for promises to acquire the guys he wants: Lazard? Cobb? Bakhtiari? 

5. Media runs with story about Dolphins/Panthers swooping in at 11th hour to offer “megadeal.”

6. Next Tuesday, Aaron Rodgers is in 1FP taking pictures holding up a Jets #9 jersey or some sh*t. 

7. March 15th: Lazard gets 4/$80; Bakhtiari traded for Becton and a pick swap. 

I was told on Friday that the Packers alerted people with the Jets that they had heard from Aaron and anticipated speaking to him "early next week" (as in Sunday-Monday). Why would people high up in the Packers FO tell Jets people that? So Wingo's report doesn't shock me. Rodgers isn't going to just accept a trade without having a few conversations and due diligence, and if a trade does go down I would expect it will happen sometime between Wednesday-Friday.  

I haven't heard back yet whether this actually happened or if permission was officially granted 

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1