Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

6 hours ago, JETS SB said:

Timeline makes sense :

Over the Weekend: Reports say Aaron Rodgers is in New York. 

Monday: Derek Carr signs contract with Saints

Early Tuesday: Reports say Jets and Aaron Rodgers spoke and he is open to playing in NY

Later Tuesday…….

Remember that no official announcement of a trade will be made until the 15th. 

The negative reactions yesterday post Carr were something else.

I mean read the tea leaves and don’t believe every writer who is trying to make a name for himself with some inside info that (of course) throws blame at Woody Johnson.

This is happening and the Jets have known there is a STRONG chance this happens.

They didn’t just decide to talk to Rodgers yesterday.  The path is clear with finishing details around contract which impacts trade value.

Has everyone forgotten that Saleh and LaFleur are best friends ?? I'm sure they had some discussions ...Right ?

The Jets probably have just as much info as the Packers do and Rodgers does there might even be a deal in place so we should stop listening to the rumor mill who know absolutely nothing and just be patient...... Rodgers will probably be our next QB

5 hours ago, Maynard13 said:

I gave you a thumbs up on this BUT what is the 2024 conditional pick?  And don't say a #1. Don't.  I dont care if we win the SB with Rodgers in 2023 we shouldn't have to give up a 1st rounder period. The thumbs up can quickly go thumb's down. 

I was thinking a 2024 3rd that can become a 2 if we make a deep playoff run.  I have 0 interest in giving up a 1st for a 1-2yr rental 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The o-line wasn't as bad as people make it out to be last year. We had a ton of injuries and Zach Wilson made it look much worse than it was.

And it was that non-Zach OL that Mike White couldn’t stand upright behind for two games in a row. I understand the infatuation, but it’s time to let him go to someone else’s IR. 

The OL needs a center, the middle of the second round is often a nice place to find one. Davis and Berrios are probably both on thin ice and, if Rodgers has a preference in Lazard or whoever else, I’d expect the Jets front office to be quite accommodating. They’re solid at TE and RB, imho, and I’ll be interested to see where Ruckert is in his development this summer. They’ll need a couple additions to the OL after that, but not necessarily starters, more like developing depth. That offense should be ready to put up points out of the box. 

No, what the team will need with Rodgers at QB is a defense that’s relentless against the pass. The winning formula in the league for the last two decades has been to throw the ball and stop your opponent from doing the same. If Lawson is on the chopping block, he’ll need to be replaced, and they need a DT next to QW for the dominant rotation that people complained about last year to improve upon its dominance. Maybe a safety, too. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott Dierking said:

And what you are positing is NOT speculation?

It 100% is speculation.

Again, if the owner is forcing players on the GM and neutering his power to build the team, he should quit.

I think JD is calling the shots and he is the one who will be held accountable if this Rodgers thing blows up or succeeds.

It’s interesting when this stuff comes up. I notice no one claimed Woody forced our great draft class on JD. It’s only the bad or questionable stuff where the meddling owner Tom foil comes out…

1 hour ago, sourceworx said:

He's such a jackass, it isn't even funny.

Source the only jack asses are the ones listening to all the rumors . Its just like in the case of Rodgers for years people have been putting words in his mouth and he gets labeled a Diva ... He's not a diva the diva's are in the media and everyone believes what comes out of their stupid mouths and Rodgers takes the brunt of it.

3 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Has everyone forgotten that Saleh and LaFleur are best friends ?? I'm sure they had some discussions ...Right ?

The Jets probably have just as much info as the Packers do and Rodgers does there might even be a deal in place so we should stop listening to the rumor mill who know absolutely nothing and just be patient...... Rodgers will probably be our next QB

There's almost certainly a deal in place.

Also, to have expected Rodgers to have not spoken with Hackett is being naive too.  I suspect this deal has been in the works for a while.

It's probably why no one else has really been attached to Rodgers but the Jets - as they've been working toward a deal for a while..

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, slats said:

And it was that non-Zach OL that Mike White couldn’t stand upright behind for two games in a row. I understand the infatuation, but it’s time to let him go to someone else’s IR. 

The OL needs a center, the middle of the second round is often a nice place to find one. Davis and Berrios are probably both on thin ice and, if Rodgers has a preference in Lazard or whoever else, I’d expect the Jets front office to be quite accommodating. They’re solid at TE and RB, imho, and I’ll be interested to see where Ruckert is in his development this summer. They’ll need a couple additions to the OL after that, but not necessarily starters, more like developing depth. That offense should be ready to put up points out of the box. 

No, what the team will need with Rodgers at QB is a defense that’s relentless against the pass. The winning formula in the league for the last two decades has been to throw the ball and stop your opponent from doing the same. If Lawson is on the chopping block, he’ll need to be replaced, and they need a DT next to QW for the dominant rotation that people complained about last year to improve upon its dominance. Maybe a safety, too. 

The rib shot MW took was a 6 man blitz where the 6th man came on a delay after the o-line & rb committed. It was on MW to get rid of it quick or escape. He's made of glass and needs to be able to navigate those situations better. 100% agree it's time to move on.

There's a handful of 2-4 round centers available this year. Hopefully we finally grab one. I've been banging that table for 2 years (going on 3 now).

I think we're fine (not great) at TE but wouldn't be upset if we grabbed Mayer depending on how R1 goes. It would give us a high end weapon at WR, TE & RB for Rodgers to work with.

• Thumb Down 1

1 hour ago, Barry McCockinner said:

The o-line wasn't as bad as people make it out to be last year. We had a ton of injuries and Zach Wilson made it look much worse than it was.

I agree Zach didn’t help out the oline that much but does this pressure and sack rate include the early games with Flacco? Early on the oline was pretty much intact and started to really go down after game 8 or so.

1 minute ago, Scotty Wooty Doo Doo said:

Its all about Zach , Cant give Carr 4 years and still have a belief that Zach will be given the reigns. They want AR to mentor Zach and hope that he gets it .

Zach plays scared, the only guy who can fix Zach is Zach. He has good mechanics, he has a great arm, and he has the ability to run and escape the rush the only thing that destroys all those positive traits especially his mechanics are his fear of the rush and his feel in the pocket .  Once Zach gets over that he has a legit shot to be great but IMHO those are the biggest obstacles in playing the position at a high level and once you have them they are extremely hard to shake. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Smashmouth said:

Hopefully didn’t start with,” you fired my little brother you bald headed prick!” 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Warfish said:

It 100% is speculation.

Again, if the owner is forcing players on the GM and neutering his power to build the team, he should quit.

I think JD is calling the shots and he is the one who will be held accountable if this Rodgers thing blows up or succeeds.

It’s interesting when this stuff comes up. I notice no one claimed Woody forced our great draft class on JD. It’s only the bad or questionable stuff where the meddling owner Tom foil comes out…

You totally obfuscate the entire premise that led us to this back and forth. My stating that if the Jets do not get a high profile qb this offseason, that "Woody would have egg on his face". Particularly after he injected himself in the media stating such importance of the Jets upgrading the position. Especially after he raised ticket prices, and then had the team fall flat.

Woody is embarrassed by last seasons end. Which I am glad he is. But it worries me when he becomes involved in high profile decisions (as he has done in the past), because he often confuses things.

All that said, it is his right, he signs the checks. Your inference is that he does not get involved in any of these matters. Evidence clearly points the other direction. And that is not me inferring that he is on the phone with JD, quibbling over a 3rd round draft pick or a back up LB free agent. BUT, we have reams of evidence that he does have some say on the imprint of this team. Ad again, that is his right.

And yeah, no kidding JD will eventually be the fall guy. Owners don't fire themselves. 

• Upvote 3

Just now, Smashmouth said:

Zach plays scared, the only guy who can fix Zach is Zach. He has good mechanics, he has a great arm, and he has the ability to run and escape the rush the only thing that destroys all those positive traits especially his mechanics are his fear of the rush and his feel in the pocket .  Once Zach gets over that he has a legit shot to be great but IMHO those are the biggest obstacles in playing the position at a high level and once you have them they are extremely hard to shake. 

Watching Mike White getting almost cut in half this season certainly didn’t help. He needs some time with A-Rod in a dark room ripping and tripping on shrooms, 

What I think happened was that the Jets spoke with Rodgers on Monday. The talks were positive and they informed Carr’s agent that they were out on Carr. Thus Carr signed with the Saints. I expect a Rodgers trade to the Jets to be agreed upon by 3/15. This would allow Rodger’s salary off the Packers payroll at the start of the new league year.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, AFJF said:

But as myself and many others have said, what's being said about Carr today is what was being said about Stafford when he went to the Rams.  

Either way, he's gone and at this point it's likely Rodgers or a QB competition between Gardner Minshew and Baker Mayfield.

Did Stafford have a reputation for crying when his HC pulled up film of him repeatedly ****ing up, on the podium, and before that on the field itself? Did half the Lions team think Stafford was a soft baby who thinks everyone else needs to be called out but him?

Never mind signing Minshew or Mayfield (let alone both) is a message board thing not a GM's thing. They'd grudgingly overbid for JG and re-sign White before heading into the season with those two.

The plan from day one was and is Rodgers. This is why they brought in Hackett, who probably had spoken freely with Rodgers before signing here. There was no need to lie to the Jets to squeeze them into a job because he already had (probably 3) more seasons of HC $ coming to him. They meet with Carr while unofficially talking to GB about compensation, and when they see they're done with him and the request for multiple 1sts was never a thing, made no offer but just kept up the facade of interest. They may do the same with Brittle Jimmy if GB gets too entrenched in an unrealistic ask, but that'd be more tactical play, too, as GB ultimately needs this to happen.

When you step back and don't check to see what's going on 2-3x/day in Feb it is, you realize this was the plan all along, and the only variable was ever going to be the Packers negotiation. They were never going to hedge on Carr, whose 2023 availability was known the day he was benched last year.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Presuming Wingo/Pauline hit on this one, the next bit of news we’ll get is that Rodgers is scheduled to visit Florham Park toward the end of this week. Imagining that @football guy or @Mogglez will have that bit before the national guys. 

Timeline:

1. Rodgers is scheduled to meet with Jets at 1FP

2. Douglas and Packers are haggling over compensation.

4. Douglas and Rodgers hammering out new “contract structure.” (jets getting cap protections in case of retirement; Rodgers getting boatload of cash in exchange for promises to acquire the guys he wants: Lazard? Cobb? Bakhtiari? 

5. Media runs with story about Dolphins/Panthers swooping in at 11th hour to offer “megadeal.”

6. Next Tuesday, Aaron Rodgers is in 1FP taking pictures holding up a Jets #9 jersey or some sh*t. 

7. March 15th: Lazard gets 4/$80; Bakhtiari traded for Becton and a pick swap. 

In what world is Lazard worth 20m/year

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Did Stafford have a reputation for crying when his HC pulled up film of him repeatedly ****ing up, on the podium, and before that on the field itself? Did half the Lions team think Stafford was a soft baby who thinks everyone else needs to be called out but him?

Never mind signing Minshew or Mayfield (let alone both) is a message board thing not a GM's thing. They'd grudgingly overbid for JG and re-sign White before heading into the season with those two.

The plan from day one was and is Rodgers. This is why they brought in Hackett, who probably had spoken freely with Rodgers before signing here. There was no need to lie to the Jets to squeeze them into a job because he already had (probably 3) more seasons of HC $ coming to him. They meet with Carr while unofficially talking to GB about compensation, and when they see they're done with him and the request for multiple 1sts was never a thing, made no offer but just kept up the facade of interest. They may do the same with Brittle Jimmy if GB gets too entrenched in an unrealistic ask, but that'd be more tactical play, too, as GB ultimately needs this to happen.

When you step back and don't check to see what's going on 2-3x/day in Feb it is, you realize this was the plan all along, and the only variable was ever going to be the Packers negotiation. They were never going to hedge on Carr, whose 2023 availability was known the day he was benched last year.

If this were a criminal trial, and all we had was this circumstantial evidence, the jury would come back with a "guilty" verdict.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Yeah, this is super interesting to me.  

Knowing the Jets are negotiating more than just draft comp.  It seems at least some money will be coming off the major cap hits.  The question of trade comp is now calculated with two factors.

Draft comp and Cap chargers. 

I was really under the impression it was trade and we're taking on the full cap hit.  This is good news.  What this all is we'll know shortly, but it is interesting.

I don’t know much about the cap but it seems to me a short term cap hit is better than giving up draft picks.  I’m sure Douglas has this figured out. I hope the jets haven’t telegraphed their move so much that the packers get more than they should.