Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

On the topic of Ryan Tannehill:

1) Nobody thinks he's "the guy." He's just "the guy who prevents us from watching Zach Wilson play football."

2) Zach Wilson was about as bad at QB as you can possibly be in this league and still started 9 games, and he went 5-4 in those games. This team is good and I think people are underestimating where we'd land with "competent" QB play. Tannehill may suck -- but we're a playoff team with him last year.

It's a bit deceptive.in the early games he played well in the 4th quarter. He was 8th in the NFL on 4th quarter QBR. Not all games were like the NE and JAX games where he was a wreck. 

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, MichaelScott said:

So to his point - In your opinion, How does all that money and premium draft picks for a 40 year old, 1 year rental on an ascending, but not super bowl ready roster, achieve your goals? Are we that desperate for a year with a wildcard appearance? And again, to his previous point, when he retires after next season, what position are we in the following year? 

Trading premium draft capital for a 40 year old rental is something a team like the Rams do to go all in when they are close. Thus, why it worked out pretty well for them. When a team like the currently constructed Jets does it, you do not get the same results. You get one year of an improved but, ultimately, not good enough team who will be worse off the following year when he retires. 

Rodgers doesn't even make this team a favorite in the division letalone a legitimate superbowl contender? Do you honestly think the Jets are a Superbowl team with Rodgers? If your answer is yes, I concede my point because if you see the Jets as a superbowl team than I can absolutely see being 100% behind this move (I would just agree to disagree on that assertion). If the answer is no, then I ask, what is this really getting us? One year of more interesting Sundays? 

I think the Jets are in the mix with Rodgers? A favorite? Nope, but it’s possible if things go their way and AR gives them elite play. 

20 minutes ago, slimjasi said:

It’s really sad - but if you look at Tannehill’s career in Tenn (last 4 seasons, 2019-2022), has a single Jets QB EVER had 4 consecutive seasons as good as his? 

it’s remarkable how bad our QB play has been over the years. It’s almost unfathomable. 

guys here seem really down on Tannehill.  He has the 9th best 5 year QBR avg amongst active players who have played more than 10 games.  When i saw him play a few games last season, i was surprised how good he looked.  

• Upvote 1

There is something to getting Tannehill for 1 year. Likely has us making the playoffs with our roster and having all our picks. So that alone probably keeps JD and Saleh’s job safe. Which could be big. And try again for a QB next off-season. Never know who’s available come next off-season.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

There is something to getting Tannehill for 1 year. Likely has us making the playoffs with our roster and having all our picks. So that alone probably keeps JD and Saleh’s job safe. Which could be big. And try again for a QB next off-season. Never know who’s available come next off-season.

People are coming around.  Love it!!!!!!!!

Stay the course Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Thumb Down 2
  • Ugh 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Who says Tannehill is available? The Titans don’t have an alternative. 

10 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

People are coming around.  Love it!!!!!!!!

Stay the course Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It’s price for me. I’m ok giving up a 2nd this year being we have 2 and a 2nd next year (likely a pick in the really late 50s or even 60s.

But that turning into a 1st comp I don’t like at all. As I said… only way I’m ok with that comp is if the stipulation is us making the SB. Even AFCCG I’m not for (I wouldn’t be pissed though). But I’ve heard as low as us just hosting a playoff game as the way it goes to a 1st. Now we’re talking it being with our roster… rather easy for that pick to become a 1st. 43 and let’s say the 29th pick for AR with no comp coming back to us to protect us for him maybe being gone after 1 year. Isn’t a good trade.

So I’m still where I’m totally for this deal. Just at the right price. Not willing to give a 2nd and 1st for possibly just a 1 year run.

• Upvote 1

On 3/16/2023 at 10:00 PM, Mogglez said:

Yes, I’m sure Green Bay is chomping at the bit to sabotage the development of the team, along with the development of the QB they’re dumping Aaron Rodgers for, who they spent a first round pick on.

You do realize they need to make a decision on Jordan love right?  This isn’t a scenario where they get to let him play 3-5 years before doing so.

Are you still standing firm that GB has no leverage or has your position changed?

3 minutes ago, BelarusJetsFan said:

He is? Didn’t the Titans sign a guy off the street to play in a must win game instead of Malik?

He was drafted to develop. So likely they think he’ll be better in year 2. Not at all saying he’s good. Just they have a guy there that can for sure take over for Tannehill if traded or cut. They don’t not have anyone there.

19 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He was drafted to develop. So likely they think he’ll be better in year 2. Not at all saying he’s good. Just they have a guy there that can for sure take over for Tannehill if traded or cut. They don’t not have anyone there.

Malik Willis made rookie Zach Wilson look like Tom Brady. The kid started 3 games and didn’t pass for over 100 yds in any. 

1 hour ago, johnnysd said:

It's a bit deceptive.in the early games he played well in the 4th quarter. He was 8th in the NFL on 4th quarter QBR. Not all games were like the NE and JAX games where he was a wreck. 

Lol. I'm not sure how anybody can say anything good about Wilson after his play on the field and his arrogant attitude off of it. It really is mind boggling that people still have hope. 

• Post of the Week 1

1 hour ago, MichaelScott said:

So to his point - In your opinion, How does all that money and premium draft picks for a 40 year old, 1 year rental on an ascending, but not super bowl ready roster, achieve your goals?

It doesn't.  This move is purely about buying JD/Saleh time (and Zach Wilson too, sadly).

Are we that desperate for a year with a wildcard appearance?

Yes, we are.  That part would be nice.

And again, to his previous point, when he retires after next season, what position are we in the following year?

Same as we are today but poorer.

Note:  I'm not a Rodgers-trade guy.  It's likely a fair-accompli at this point, but it's not the move I'd have pursued or made.

Do you honestly think the Jets are a Superbowl team with Rodgers?

I do not.  Playoffs are a reasonable expectation, but I personally think we miss those too, even with Rodgers.  Our D isn't as good as the hype.

If the answer is no, then I ask, what is this really getting us? One year of more interesting Sundays? 

Yes, it will get us one year of likely interesting Sundays.

But as noted to start, this move is 100% about buying a floundering regime whose mishandled QB for 5 years now a breather of one more year to figure the QB position out.  My believe is that JD still believes in Zach Wilson, and wants this year both to save his job, and to "mentor" Wilson so he can start whenever Rodgers leaves.

• Upvote 2

On 4/4/2023 at 1:47 PM, Beerfish said:

What part is not accurate?

Green bay had no leverage at all they had to get rid of rodgers and the jets are the only team interested, if the jets set a deadline green bay caves we already have rodgers.

Jets and rodgers dilly dally, all other options dry up and 100% tip their hand that Rodgers is the only choice and suddenly the packers have time and some leverage.

People are falling all over themselves now trying to invent options for the jets when they realistically have none.

If none of this was the case the trade would have happened long ago because the packers 'are desperate to get rid of rodgers and have zero leverage.'

I was kinda just kidding. We have no idea which rumors are true or not.

8 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

Why would my position have changed?  If the deal falls through for any reason and the Jets back out, Green Bay would still be absolutely screwed when it comes to the cap.  Nothing has happened that would change that.

Or they trade him to a rival like NE or MIA. And how’s that look for us when we roll out there with Tannehill and our division has Rodgers and Allen? Especially after we failed getting him.

The environment bc it’s drug out so long is we can’t not get him. Yet if we overpay that’s bad as well. It’s a small window for JD to look good in this.

2 hours ago, johnnysd said:

Part of the evidence MiLF sucked.  Run run pass in the first quarters.   Poor QB development.   Clues are all over.  

• Sympathy 1

27 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

New England currently has Mac Jones and Miami committed to Tua by picking up his 5th year option, so filling up a diaper over those two, as of now, extremely unlikely “what ifs” is a complete waste of brain power.

If, for whatever reason, something like that plays out?  Honestly?  I don’t even care at this point.  We’ve been, for the most part, absolute dogsh*t since 2011.  Finding something different to do on Sundays from November - February has been my routine for the last 12 years.  I can last another one.

I share similar sentiments. This guy I work with is a big Eagles fan and he said to me the other day,

"after all of this what happens if you guys don't get Rodgers?"

I laughed and said, "we're Jets fan...we digest misery like it's baby food. We'll drink more, yell louder, and laugh at your sh*tty fight song."

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, football guy said:

No just one second this year. I say #42/43 because I don't know which one the Jets would send. 

The conditional pick next year will probably be a 2nd that becomes a 1st if the Jets make it to the AFCCG/SBLVIII or something like that. 

Still too much.  One 2023 2nd and a 2024 4th that can become a 2nd only if the Jets win the SB (3rd if they make the AFC Title game or something like that).  If Rodgers retires, the Jets get a 2025 4th back from GB.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

New England currently has Mac Jones and Miami committed to Tua by picking up his 5th year option, so filling up a diaper over those two, as of now, extremely unlikely “what ifs” is a complete waste of brain power.

If, for whatever reason, something like that plays out?  Honestly?  I don’t even care at this point.  We’ve been, for the most part, absolute dogsh*t since 2011.  Finding something different to do on Sundays from November - February has been my routine for the last 12 years.  I can last another one.

I'll add on to that.   Miami has lost already a lot of draft picks, they only have a 2, 3, 6 and 7 this year.  2024 they have a 1 and 2, but not a 3 and 4, so trading a bunch of picks mean they would essentially have none.

There is no way Rodgers agrees to play for BB.  He is not going to have BB yelling at him, he isn't going to want to run BB's offense, he wants to run one that he already knows.

57 minutes ago, Mogglez said:

I don’t disagree. I’m just saying that cost us not only a GM that is good and likely a HC that “might” be good if that happens. All while being possibly more of a laughing stock of the NFL even more so than the butt fumble. I know we’re used to this as Jets fans. But at some point we need to get a QB. I mean it’s been forever now. Literally you almost have to try and not have a good QB for as long as we ahve

2 hours ago, BelarusJetsFan said:

I think the Jets are in the mix with Rodgers? A favorite? Nope, but it’s possible if things go their way and AR gives them elite play. 

That's fair. I don't think we are there yet. We ELITE play from a lot more than Rodgers, imo. Possible? Sure, I guess anything is possible. Though, Imo, not likely. I've past accepted that this trade is going to happen. To what extent I'll genuinely be happy about it depends on what we give up. If this ends with the Jets having leverage and this trade pretty heavily in their favor, I'll be a lot happier. I think a 2nd and the contract is too much. A 2nd and more plus the contract I fully believe will do more damage than good to bringing this team towards sustained winning. 

Like everything else this team does, in the end when they get him, I'll hope for the best and likely prepare for the worst. 

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

It doesn't.  This move is purely about buying JD/Saleh time (and Zach Wilson too, sadly).

Yes, we are.  That part would be nice.

Same as we are today but poorer.

Note:  I'm not a Rodgers-trade guy.  It's likely a fair-accompli at this point, but it's not the move I'd have pursued or made.

I do not.  Playoffs are a reasonable expectation, but I personally think we miss those too, even with Rodgers.  Our D isn't as good as the hype.

Yes, it will get us one year of likely interesting Sundays.

But as noted to start, this move is 100% about buying a floundering regime whose mishandled QB for 5 years now a breather of one more year to figure the QB position out.  My believe is that JD still believes in Zach Wilson, and wants this year both to save his job, and to "mentor" Wilson so he can start whenever Rodgers leaves.

As always, I very much appreciate your thought out answers. Thanks for taking the time. 

I can't disagree with anything you've said. You're right, if they trotted Zach out there after last year that one position would vastly overshadow any and all other positives this GM and coach have done and likely be their death sentence. 

As much as I don't like this team trading for Rodgers, at this point they clearly have no other choice. It's a sh*tty situation, for sure. 

• Upvote 1

The entire football universe is moving forward with the understanding that AR12 is a Jet, Rodgers said he’s playing here, the Packers and Jets have had open press conferences about how confident they are in this being done, there’s not another team in sight, and we’re inventing scenarios where this doesn’t happen? I know the pre-draft lull is boring and we need something to talk about, but come on….

Let’s talk about the news that Breece Hall is expected to be a go for Week 1. This is a done deal.

1 hour ago, Mogglez said:

I think what people are still downplaying in all of these scenarios is that there just doesn’t appear to be a realistic second team. The teams people speculated about early in the process have basically all committed to someone else or have shown no interest, thus far. It also seems to me like the first step for any other team truly interested in Rodgers is to actually request permission to speak to him - which, I would think we would hear about? 

IDK, maybe some other team will emerge, but it’s hard to find a great candidate. 

• Upvote 1