Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

1 hour ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

Just an update from what i am hearing. for anyone interested

Rodger is in, packers are in and Jets are in, everyone wants to move forward. One of the key issues at hand is the draft compensation that the Jets would need to offer in exchange for Rodgers. And the dead money June first deadline for green bay. Rodgers compensation is not really seen as an issue on NY side because the offer has green bay eating some. I've heard that the initial offer was a fourth-round pick, with the possibility of it becoming a second or third-round pick based on Rodgers' performance. However, Green Bay is reportedly looking for a second-round pick that can turn into a first-round pick or first outright. 

The negotiations are also around performance benchmarks escalators, including touchdowns and yards, which are being discussed alongside playing time. Both the Jets and the Packers acknowledge that Rodgers will likely only play for one or two more seasons, but NY believes it will be at a high level. No concerns there at  from NY or Rodgers for the matter. NY thinks that green bay is just done with Rodgers and they don't believe in him. They think they have the leverage and are the only real team at the table. Meaning no rush until Green bay accepts Joes offer. Every day closer to june 1st getting stronger.

Overall, the Jets see Rodgers as a valuable addition to their team, one who can elevate their playmakers on both offense and defense, and help them win in crucial situations. They view Rodgers as the man who can let promising young players like Garrett Wilson shine, and give Breece Hall more space to do his thing. However, the holdup in the negotiations is that Joe Douglas has certain benchmarks that he wants included to meet for the green bay compensation before finalizing any deal performance wise not just playing time. this is alot of the back and fourth on the draft pick escalation. Im told they are pretty much there but green bay is trying to get every thing they can. Joe is not being cooperative. He is looking out for NY because one real although unlikely possibility is Rodgers can fall off. But his play last year when healthy and with talent around him was enough to sell Joe and he thinks he is good.

One interesting aspect that I've heard in these discussions is that there is two very different paths for the deal depending on the timing around June first. Joe wants it done now and offered a path that is very fair to do so.  While there is still some back and forth going on between the two teams, the deals are pretty laid out there and Joe has not budged since modifying his offers. Giving more than he initially offered as an act of good faith to get the deal done before June 1.

Green bay is basically trying to see if Joe will move more but at the end of the day they are not going to get to just unload the terrible contract to the jets. Green bay will have to pay a bit but they put them selves in that situation.

Anyway I expect to see green bay make it happen it will just be a matter of before or after June 1. Both sides are there and like the options. 

This all rings true except the suggestion that that they will let it go anywhere near June.  Both of these teams need to plan for next season, draft, free agents, etc...  Neither of these teams can afford the uncertainty or the possibility that someone might change their mind.  If it's going to happen it's going to happen some time soon. 

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, peekskill68 said:

Not here to argue, just to offer a different perspective.  Definitely don't see him as a Steinbrenner at all.  Peak Steinbrenner was ruthless in his quest for greatness.  Woody, to me, is more of a fan boy who says some things he shouldn't and who lets his enthusiasm get in the way of being an efficient CEO...

Steinbrenner was a clown (watch Seinfeld) who only had success when he was suspended for violating campaign laws and the Yankee front office was able to build the farm system and supplement that with big free agent acquisitions.  Until then, Steinbrenner had the patience of a 2 year old and was trading away future young stars for old over the hill vets and changing managers every time he changed his underwear. The Yankees were a complete joke from 1980 until 1996.  

5 minutes ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Steinbrenner was a clown (watch Seinfeld) who only had success when he was suspended for violating campaign laws and the Yankee front office was able to build the farm system and supplement that with big free agent acquisitions.  Until then, Steinbrenner had the patience of a 2 year old and was trading away future young stars for old over the hill vets and changing managers every time he changed his underwear. The Yankees were a complete joke from 1980 until 1996.  

EXvtRHEWsAULQME.jpg.a369bf5c8962ab32de8b9f1c201461e6.jpg

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Augustiniak said:

That’s the longer term vision.  But rodgers isn’t going to the jets to teach, he’d want the OL beefed up for a run at the division. 

Right, but there's stories of him icing out the younger quarterbacks behind him.  Here he knows it's a short term thing and his replacement is already here waiting.  I could see him really teaching and helping Zach develop.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, fusionCA said:

That drive is nice

If you take Canan rd you go through a beautiful canyon and come out on the other side with the pacific ocean right in front of you , it's a gorgeous sight,  did it many times 

maya rudolph snl GIF

Get back on San Vicente, take it to the 10 then switch over to the 405 north and let it dump you out to Mulholland where you belong!

• Sympathy 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Mogglez said:

One proposal I was given, that was on the table, and now have the ok to share, is this year’s 2, a conditional 3rd next year, that can become a first based on postseason results, and a player (possibly Corey Davis).

a first if they make to the super bowl, a second if they make playoffs and a third if they miss the playoffs.

seems fair.

11 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Let’s say and hope they agree tonight.

are they allowed to announce it wven though it could not be official until 3/15 at the earliest?

stupid question I know but these rules have me so confused

Yup.  They can announce the deal, but it would not be official until 3/15.

7 minutes ago, greenwave81 said:

People act/talk like the Favre experiment was a total failure lol. If he didn’t tear an elbow ligament that season the NYJ at 8-3 were potentially going places.  That was a GOOD team. 

Well...it was a failure. The team was 8-3 and finished 9-7. Favre trying to play with a torn ligament to keep his streak consecutive start streak alive turned the season into a failure. 

THAT said, that team was good and was the foundation of the 2009 team that blew the doors off the NFL. 

Rodgers could very well be a total repeat of 2008. Or he could be a missing piece that sets up a Stafford-esque Super Bowl run. There's no in between here.

The insane thing is that we all know this is a super short-sighted decision. But all of our past history and recent QB draft failures make that flawed decision appealing AF. 

It's happening folks. 

• Post of the Week 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy 2 Times said:

I called the trade compensation to be a fourth months ago with the possibility of it becoming higher with certain incentives hit.

I only say this because I'm never right and want this on the record if actually happens. 

I would guess a 2 or 3  this year with a conditional pick next year.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Let’s say and hope they agree tonight.

are they allowed to announce it wven though it could not be official until 3/15 at the earliest?

stupid question I know but these rules have me so confused

no expert here.  But even though the trade will not be "official" or binding until the transaction date (3/15?), there would be no logical reason that I can see to not to disclose. It's more efficient and important for the league to proceed forward with accurate info.  JMO.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, JetPotato said:

If Aaron Rodgers leads the Jets to a championship, the Packers can have our next 10 first round picks for all I care. I'd die that night anyway.

Totally there with you. If they won in '98 I'd still be good. I try to explain this to people as a Mets/Jets fan and it doesn't compute. 

My old man is in his mid-70s. He made me a Jets fan. Winning one would mean everything in ways I can't explain 

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 2

6 minutes ago, ElBarrioJets said:

Well...it was a failure. The team was 8-3 and finished 9-7. Favre trying to play with a torn ligament to keep his streak consecutive start streak alive turned the season into a failure. 

Always thought that was on Mangini.  Players want to play and think they can play through it.  Mangini had to put the team ahead of that streak.  Although season may have ended the same way given that we woudl have had to turn it over to Kellen Clemens.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Lith said:

Always thought that was on Mangini.  Players want to play and think they can play through it.  Mangini had to put the team ahead of that streak.  Although season may have ended the same way given that we woudl have had to turn it over to Kellen Clemens.

I’m not sure Mangini had the power to bench him, TBH.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, JoeNamathsFurCoat said:

Detour in Miami on the way back to offer Lamar 200 for 4 ?

Looks like no market for Lamar.  Several teams expected to show interest will not be making offers.

23 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

I bet it's this year's #2.  Along with a conditional 3 next year.

But I'll take it.

Trade out of 13 to 20 or so and pick the 2 back up.

Possible, but let’s wait and see who’s on the board at #13 first. I’m ok with trading back, but just like last draft showed, getting impactful rookies to contribute can turn a team around. Let’s keep this train rolling!

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Lith said:

I always thought it was on Favre because I think we exaggerate how hurt he was and how early he got hurt. 

1 hour ago, Jets723 said:

Green Bay doesn’t have much leverage. No way they are getting pick 13 and the only way they may get a conditional durst if we make the Super Bowl or something 

They don’t get any 2023 picks if the trade doesn’t happen before the draft.  

The trade will happen before the draft and likely be finalized within a day or so, but no later than mid next week.

Just now, greenwave81 said:

I’m 64….watched SB III. Been waiting since. 

I’ll take my chances with A Rodgers next season with this roster.  I’m getting old. 

You have a year on me.

watched as well but admittedly do not remember the entire game.

just one more and let me live until the clock hits zero so I know we won

• Upvote 1