Aaron Rodgers to the Jets rumor: Merged

58 minutes ago, Be_a_Jet said:

The burning of that cheesehead is moronic and if anything probably irritates AR than anything. 

The vid is just cringe 

The packers are tossing A Rod like a dirty condom you think he really gives af about some twenty somethings burning a foam cheese replica?

Christ step outside 

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s likely that 99% of the process is complete and both the Jets and Packers are sorting out cap logistics. There’s absolutely no need to run to a microphone to announce any deal until the i’s are dotted. 

I agree, and yet, the longtime Jets fan in me expects this to fall apart for one reason or another. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Vader said:

No.
He’s not average. Get a grip b-fish. And I’m not going to debate LJs bona fides 

Bottom line: jets need to be open to options because 

a) it immediately creates leverage intended to break the AR impasse. When GB sees JD entertain his best alternative to a negotiated agreement with them, that WILL force the issue. This is how negotiations work.

b) there is a legitimate window for this team over the next 3 years. That’s what JD is looking at. A real championship window with one final piece. This almost never happens and came almost out of the blue.

c) they can not wind up starting a QB that is reason they don’t make it.

at this point it’s bargaining 101. Create a market. There’s supply to draw on for leverage. Again if it’s GB playing hardball, this should have been done days ago.

That's not really how negotiations work because there is no leverage to apply against Rodgers. GB can't brow beat Rodgers into a decision like some TV drama.

His contract for the year is guaranteed. GB can't cut him because they owe him the money and he can just deal himself as a FA as an offset against his GB pay. GB can threaten to bench him but it doesn't seem like he would really care. He can sleep the year away and then go elsewhere afterwards. A year of rest might even extend his career at no financial loss. GB doesn't benefit from pushing him to retirement when they can gain something by trading him away. 

3 hours ago, Pac said:

@BornJetsFan1983says we got all the time in the world to wait.  What's the rush?  He envisions weeks before a resolution. 

well I said it would be in our best interest to get him now but green bay and rogers are not as motivated for right now. I do see a likely scenario it will be weeks from now. Right  around june 1st.

15 minutes ago, rex-n-effect said:

That's not really how negotiations work because there is no leverage to apply against Rodgers. GB can't brow beat Rodgers into a decision like some TV drama.

His contract for the year is guaranteed. GB can't cut him because they owe him the money and he can just deal himself as a FA as an offset against his GB pay. GB can threaten to bench him but it doesn't seem like he would really care. He can sleep the year away and then go elsewhere afterwards. A year of rest might even extend his career at no financial loss. GB doesn't benefit from pushing him to retirement when they can gain something by trading him away. 

It is exactly how negotiations work. The post is based on GB being the knuckle dragging party. Obviously this is speculation bc no one really knows but it seems to jive w most recent reports. Anyway, when a party dilates in order string out a deal to the finish line, that move in a negotiation needs to be countered -- and let's understand, if no deal is done by Monday, JD and the Jets are so balls deep into AR, without getting in on the market of any other QB -- it really hurts the Orgs ability to conduct FA.

Negotiating is a game, with strategy and moves. The rational move would be to break the GB-induced impasse by threatening alternatives. This would force GB off of whatever demands it has and towards the Jets target bid. GB can't trade him if there's no one to trade him to. Don't forget good faith and relationships are part of this.

If GB's actions wind up damaging JD's ability to conduct FA or were not in good faith, the league will note this. Relationships matter. 

57 minutes ago, Trotter said:

Actually - let's play this out because I honestly do not know all of the tag rules.

Let's say JD offers 5 years 230 with 175 guaranteed. The ravens match the offer but Lamar refuses the deal.

Does he still play 2023 under the original tag number?  

Ravens only have to match a deal that Lamar agrees to.

If the Jets offer that, and Lamar turns it down, he plays under the tag.   If the Jets offer that, and he accepts, that is what he is playing for next year.   Now, if the Ravens match it, he is a Raven.  If they don't, he is a Jet.

The Jets now give the Ravens 2 first rounders.   What they can do, is trade this years #13 overall to the Chiefs, for the #32 and other picks, then sign Lamar.  Now the Ravens get the #32 overall this year, and the Jets pick next year.

• Upvote 1

I think the Jets have to be all in on Lamar if this Rodgers saga blows up.  He is an elite talent and imo is worth any injury risk.  Top tier QB's in their prime hardly ever become available, so the Jets should be all over him.  Truth be told, I prefer him over Rodgers, but I would be head over heels giddy with either. 

• Upvote 2

According to Jake Asman's show yesterday (3/9/2023), he thinks the deal has been agreed to but the Jets and AR are just restructuring his contract to give the Jets enough cap space to go for it this year.

He also made a good point that if Rodgers was going to retire, he would've announced that by now.

1 minute ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

According to Jake Asman's show yesterday (3/9/2023), he thinks the deal has been agreed to but the Jets and AR are just restructuring hhis contract to give the Jets enough cap space to go for it this year.

Thinks as in speculation?

1 minute ago, chirorob said:

Ravens only have to match a deal that Lamar agrees to.

If the Jets offer that, and Lamar turns it down, he plays under the tag.   If the Jets offer that, and he accepts, that is what he is playing for next year.   Now, if the Ravens match it, he is a Raven.  If they don't, he is a Jet.

The Jets now give the Ravens 2 first rounders.   What they can do, is trade this years #13 overall to the Chiefs, for the #32 and other picks, then sign Lamar.  Now the Ravens get the #32 overall this year, and the Jets pick next year.

Thank you 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

According to Jake Asman's show yesterday (3/9/2023), he thinks the deal has been agreed to but the Jets and AR are just restructuring hhis contract to give the Jets enough cap space to go for it this year.

Trying to piece together all these theories is driving me insane

Rooster Teeth Laughing GIF by Achievement Hunter 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

According to Jake Asman's show yesterday (3/9/2023), he thinks the deal has been agreed to but the Jets and AR are just restructuring his contract to give the Jets enough cap space to go for it this year.

He also made a good point that if Rodgers was going to retire, he would've announced that by now.

This sounds right, but it may be just part of the picture too. His contract does seem complex. But there are also reports GB is holding out consent for a sweetener.

9 minutes ago, freestater said:

The Big Lebowski Reaction GIF

This is going to drag out until 4pm ET Wednesday.

The one thing that seems a sure thing is Rodgers won't be back with GB as their starter.

I think it's the Jets or retirement.  Maybe AR and GB agree to restructure and essentially give him some kind of golden parachute for doing nothing.

42 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

It’s likely that 99% of the process is complete and both the Jets and Packers are sorting out cap logistics. There’s absolutely no need to run to a microphone to announce any deal until the i’s are dotted. 

Yes, Rodgers is such a stable individual who would never unexpectedly veer off course. No way it could happen! 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vader said:

JD should pivot to Lamar asap that’s how he assures himself he gets a QB that can take the team to the SB. 

I’m not sure I understand the reticence to give up first round picks for established mvp level qbs, given the draft capital, lack of options, time to develop and risk involved with drafting s QB.

either get a proven mvp caliber qb and pay for it or go for the garapolos of the world.

and re Lamar injury risk — there’s injury risk involved anywhere, for any QB. 

what you don’t do is waste this once in a lifetime window with the defense and new weapons on O with all of the rookie deals and good signings. 

this is the time jet fans to blow that load on any of the top QBs that btw are NEVER available. JD should try to max value but should not play games end of day. 

what type of deal do you think Lamar agrees to?  and one that Ravens don't match and just take the picks?

26 minutes ago, TuscanyTile2 said:

Like Jake Asman knows anything

12 minutes ago, batman10023 said:

what type of deal do you think Lamar agrees to?  and one that Ravens don't match and just take the picks?

I think that if GB is the party delaying a deal then the signaling that we are open to other alternatives is the most important part of reaching out to Baltimore/LJ for a feeler. Jets were in better position with AR when Derek Carr was in the equation. They need another option to leverage whether it's LJ or someone else. IDK enough about LJ's contract demands and what's realistic there to answer your question directly but whatever it is JD would have to appear credible. 

3 minutes ago, Vader said:

I think that if GB is the party delaying a deal then the signaling that we are open to other alternatives is the most important part of reaching out to Baltimore/LJ for a feeler. Jets were in better position with AR when Derek Carr was in the equation. They need another option to leverage whether it's LJ or someone else. IDK enough about LJ's contract demands and what's realistic there to answer your question directly but whatever it is JD would have to appear credible. 

You can't do that unless you let Rodgers know you're doing it with a wink.

Show any interest in Lamar, even fake interest, and Rodgers sees it on social media and he walks away.

• Upvote 2