Becton isn't playing around

Bronx

7 minutes ago, Alka said:

The problem is that if you're going to pick up his option, you have to do it in May.  If you don't do it in May, then you can't do it, even if he has a monster season.  It will be a gamble, no question about it.  

But what happens if you don't pick up his option, and he has a great season?  Then you have to either franchaise him, give him a monster contract, or let him walk.  None of those options are appealing to me.

If Becton has a big season then I let him walk for a mid round comp pick and let some other team pay him.

How anyone still has faith in this guy is beyond me. Hasn’t played in two years, his weight has fluctuated ever since coming into the league, has routinely come off as a thin skinned pussy, etc.

Guaranteed the Jets want to hang on to #13 to get a guy like Broderick Jones or Skoronski to push/act as insurance for both Becton and Brown.

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

He probably thinks there's no way the Jets pick up his option so he's playing this year for the second contract.

The Jets have the power to dangle that carrot for the next three years.

IF he shows up to volunteer workouts and looks great, I pick up the option.  He now must show up in shape two years in a row.  Then if he balls out the way I believe he can, I franchise him.  After year three he walks and we get a comp pick.  

In the meantime you still draft another tackle over the next 1-2 years to groom to take over when Brown goes down or hangs it up. 

Picking up the option probably pisses him off, lol. 

• Upvote 4

20 hours ago, Embrace the Suck said:

Glad to see it, but it's a long road. Hopefully, he's matured and realizes that to play at a high level and be the man you have to work your ass off, and it needs to be a lifestyle. If he can stay on the field and live up to his potential that would be amazing.

They need to rewrite his contract~ no pancakes during the football season.

33 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

If Becton has a big season then I let him walk for a mid round comp pick and let some other team pay him.

How anyone still has faith in this guy is beyond me. Hasn’t played in two years, his weight has fluctuated ever since coming into the league, has routinely come off as a thin skinned pussy, etc.

Guaranteed the Jets want to hang on to #13 to get a guy like Broderick Jones or Skoronski to push/act as insurance for both Becton and Brown.

I have a hard time disagreeing with you.  But if he has a great year, then the Jets definitely made the wrong decision by not picking up his option.  Because if we pick up his option, instead of letting him walk, we can trade him for at least a 3rd round pick.  I know, I know!!  If we let him walk, we can get a comp pick for him.  Not so fast,  The only way you get a comp pick, is if you lose more players in free agency than you pick up.  If the Jets pick up the same number of free agents as we lose, then we get nothing for Becton, no comp pick.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, Maynard13 said:

They need to rewrite his contract~ no pancakes during the football season.

Lol, seriously though the main thing is that he isn't sitting around playing madden while consuming mass quantities of whatever. He's a big guy and need the calories as a pro athlete. He just can't be lazy at any time.

• Upvote 2

On 3/24/2023 at 1:40 AM, LockeJET said:

Of course he is. He has 100 mil on the line if he balls out. But he’s the exact type of guy that I wouldn’t pay a dime even if he has an all pro season. 

Franchise tag was basically designed for guys like him if he has a great year 

• Upvote 2

On 3/23/2023 at 8:40 PM, LockeJET said:

Of course he is. He has 100 mil on the line if he balls out. But he’s the exact type of guy that I wouldn’t pay a dime even if he has an all pro season. 

We've seen this movie dozens of times before. Guys who have contracts on the line decide to get serious getting their lazy asses off the couch brushing the crumbs off their fat guts. Locke is right, we don't give him his big contract after he manages to put together the kind of season worthy of a 1st round draft pick.  Because we all know what happens to guys like Becton who play the way we hoped he'd play and stay healthy all year-after he starts all 17 regular season games and helps us win the Championship by this time next year he'll be right back on the couch with Chipolte bags of greasy food surrounding him and gets hurt and misses most of 2024 with those "nagging injuries"

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Barton said:

Getting in shape to get paid. Just like he did before the draft.

to be honest he looks light years more in shape now ... i just hope the weight loss is accompanied by extreme strength training ... i want to see some progress on those biceps and calves.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

BUT

There are some mitigating factors here. ....

1. Becton is a DAD now ... this could be a game changer ... the fear of providing for his family may have flipped that seriousness light switch.   Is he still posting about video game stuff ? I really don't know.   But if he has turned into a man.... look the **** out.
  2. His ego took a giant blow last year.  This too could have lit a fire within.
  3.  Peer pressure ... the team is moving into 'win now mode'  with Aaron ******* Rodgers.  Players are pumped.

True he could revert after getting paid ... but he also could have grown up.

Pick up the option.  It's a two year carrot that fits in our window.  13 million is what Fant got as a swing tackle in FA.  Just make sure you cover yourselves with another tackle at 13 in case he reverts or Brown loses durability with his advanced age. 

In two years our rookie and Max will be blocking for Zach. 

• Upvote 3

On 3/23/2023 at 8:40 PM, LockeJET said:

So our OL which inngeneral sucked last season has an All Pro, you would let him walk? You think he is going to play for less than he's  worth? 

• Upvote 1
  • WTF? 1

1 hour ago, More Cowbell said:

So our OL which inngeneral sucked last season has an All Pro, you would let him walk? You think he is going to play for less than he's  worth? 

If you continue to read, I said I would franchise him.  but long-term deal absolutely not until he proved it a second year. 

On 3/23/2023 at 10:15 PM, Green Ghost said:

This guy comes off as totally tone deaf with these “look at me” tweets.

Put down the phone, nobody cares. Shut up and show up on the field where it matters.

Nobody cares yet you commented 5 times on the 1st 2 pages.  Lol

• More Ugh 1

Just now, Green Ghost said:

We’re not allowed to judge his tweets, or comment on them? That’s kinda what this forum is for. 
We give our opinions, then wait for you to disagree with them.

Where did I say we’re not allowed to comment?  Or where did I disagree with an opinion?   I would just think after you say no one cares it’s not fitting to show you care enough to post multiple times.  
Missed the LOL?

19 minutes ago, LockeJET said:

If you continue to read, I said I would franchise him.  but long-term deal absolutely not until he proved it a second year. 

Actually you didn't,  at least  not in the post I responded to

"Of course he is. He has 100 mil on the line if he balls out. But he’s the exact type of guy that I wouldn’t pay a dime even if he has an all pro season. "