ESPN Jordan Reid's 7 round mock Jets

13. Paris Johnson OT OSU

With a deal for quarterback Aaron Rodgers still up in the air, the Jets' biggest need area remains offensive tackle. They dealt with a slew of injuries at both tackle spots last season and must continue to add players to try to fill that hole. Johnson has experience at guard and tackle, but his best position is left tackle, where he got better in each game in 2022. New York could slot him in right away as the blindside protector for Rodgers.

42. Joe Tippmann IOL Wisco

Will Wes Schweitzer be the Jets' full-time center in 2022? They could upgrade. At 6-6, 313 pounds, Tippman is a quick interior blocker with experience in multiple schemes. It would not surprise me if he turns out to be one of the best players in this entire class because of his strength and pro-ready skill set. And yes, I have New York taking offensive linemen with its top two picks.

43. Antonio Johnson S Texas A&M

With back-to-back picks in Round 2, it's possible one of these selections could end up going to Green Bay in exchange for Aaron Rodgers. Since the Jets still have this, though, let's give them a talented defender. Safety isn't a pressing need, but taking the best prospect available could make sense. Johnson had 150 tackles over his final two college seasons.

112. Moro Ojomo IDL Texas

143. Ivan Pace Jr LB CINN

207. Jovaughn Gwyn IOL South Carolina

I don't see them triple dipping for the OL, the first two might be a stretch

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35958143/2023-nfl-mock-draft-jordan-reid-seven-round-predictions-259-picks

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1
  • Ugh 1

33 minutes ago, Claymation said:

13. Paris Johnson OT OSU

With a deal for quarterback Aaron Rodgers still up in the air, the Jets' biggest need area remains offensive tackle. They dealt with a slew of injuries at both tackle spots last season and must continue to add players to try to fill that hole. Johnson has experience at guard and tackle, but his best position is left tackle, where he got better in each game in 2022. New York could slot him in right away as the blindside protector for Rodgers.

Will Wes Schweitzer be the Jets' full-time center in 2022? They could upgrade. At 6-6, 313 pounds, Tippman is a quick interior blocker with experience in multiple schemes. It would not surprise me if he turns out to be one of the best players in this entire class because of his strength and pro-ready skill set. And yes, I have New York taking offensive linemen with its top two picks.

With back-to-back picks in Round 2, it's possible one of these selections could end up going to Green Bay in exchange for Aaron Rodgers. Since the Jets still have this, though, let's give them a talented defender. Safety isn't a pressing need, but taking the best prospect available could make sense. Johnson had 150 tackles over his final two college seasons.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/insider/draft2023/insider/story/_/id/35958143/2023-nfl-mock-draft-jordan-reid-seven-round-predictions-259-picks

As .such as I don't like the idea taking two line in the first two round I love it.

• Upvote 2

This is the type of draft that would have another immediate impact/injection and likely catapult a Rodgers led Jets into the playoffs.

Which is why it is important to keep our picks this year.  

I would almost be tempted to tell GB to take next year's 1 but let us keep all of our 2023 picks. 

• Sympathy 1

41 minutes ago, Warfish said:

I might quibble about the players, but I like O-line investment.  Would all depend on how Becton/AVT are viewed coming off injuries I think.

Curious, is that about Paris Johnson? - and for any of the draft guys on this board, what's the word on him?

Haven't followed much this year but see a dude with 36" arms that benched 29 reps and played tackle @ Ohio State. Those are usually good things?

6 minutes ago, RedBeardedSavage said:

Curious, is that about Paris Johnson? - and for any of the draft guys on this board, what's the word on him?

Haven't followed much this year but see a dude with 36" arms that benched 29 reps and played tackle @ Ohio State. Those are usually good things?

I prefer Skoronski at tackle, and Wypler (a Jets Fan I hear) at Center, but like I said, just quibbling.  Nothing wrong with the guys listed.

• Upvote 4

As the roster stands right now, this would be pretty great in terms of upgrading need spots. A Ben Jones signing would probably change the second round.

Biggest quibble is with Schweitzer, Colon, and then Tippmann plus AVT and Tomlinson, unless they want to carry 10 OL there’s not really room for Gwyn. But they may want to get rid of Tomlinson after this year so I wouldn’t be too bothered, especially that late. Would hope for some degree of starting potential at least.

Could also see WR (for now), QB (no third guy), DL, or another LB making sense depth wise. And my favorite with the last pick would be the NDSU fullback.

• Upvote 2

37 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Last time we did that (double dipped on the OL)... it worked pretty incredible for us.

We can't really look at the past-for where the Jets draft, drafting 2 OL to shore up the OL long term is a good thing, particularly if we get Rodgers.

We then play with the cap to pick up a couple of FA DTs.  There are a few available, and they always are.  DTs are generally either drafted high and allowed to walk, or signed as veterans short-term (because once you pay them, they stop working ).  

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, slats said:

I don’t like the double OL investment in general, but would understand it if the Jets fail to sign a starting center in free agency. 

they've signed 2 centers that are better than Feeney but neither is a true starter

Ben Jones who everyone keeps talking about is 34 and had like 3 concussions last year 

• Upvote 1

As some have already pointed out, we will not have one of those second rounders. But for now, fine. 

And I'd def. prefer some other players at those same positions.

But otherwise, this draft makes total sense. 

You could argue that we probably won't take three O-linemen. But when you are talking about the 6th round it really is a crapshoot. You just take whoever you had your eye on and think WON'T be available as an UDFA, you take whoever you think may have slipped and has mid to potentially early round talent level, you roll the dice and don't really consider positional need, IMO.    

As far as some of the player choices. They seem odd to me.

Ok. So Paris Johnson makes sense. But the Jets have been rumored to have interest in JMS out of Minn. I guess the thinking is he will be off the board by the time they pick in Rd. 2? And my preference for Safety in Rd. 2 would be Sydney Brown out of Illinois. Maybe a bit too early for him but he will most likely be gone by Rd. 3. He is a much better fit. Speedy, high IQ, do-it at type FS who you could probably plug right in as a starter next to Whitehead or Clark. Antonio Johnson seems like a much better fit as a versatile box safety, a position played by Whitehead and Clark.  And again, if we are talking about adding an D-lineman, you probably want someone who is more adept at stuffing the run, probably someone a little less raw than Ojomo. In Rd. 4 you should still have plenty of options. In fact, I would hold off on IDL and take a LB in Rd. 4, then take DL in Rd. 5. Just seems like Reid isn't paying a ton of attention to the Jets.   

16 minutes ago, Larz said:

Kinda silly to do one now , after the Rodgers trade the jets will likely go hard for a C, DT to give themselves flexibility in the draft. 

Correct. However, this does not mean they will not draft a C early. I believe they will sign a vet center who they won't have long term plans for and draft one fairly early. I don't think its just smoke that they are interested in JMS out of Minn. who's a late 1st early 2nd round prospect. 

I also think we will see some movement at the S position, Clark and Whitehead without a true FS just doesn't make sense. And on top of that you have that 10mil salary cap hit from Whitehead. I think we will see Whitehead traded or cut once the AR trade goes through and the Jets are ready to make another starting caliber FA signing.   

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Last time we did that (double dipped on the OL)... it worked pretty incredible for us.

Long term, yes. As rookies? Both were 1st round picks (better prospects than either of these as of draft day); one was the 4th in the country; and anyway only one of them was awesome right away, or even in year two for that matter.

Rodgers is here for two seasons, hopefully. The thought of starting two rookie OLmen, immediately out of the gate, shouldn't give everyone the warm & fuzzies.

But yes, long term it's a sound plan for a team that doesn't have nearly as many holes as it had even this time last year, and that was before they knew that both penciled-in starting tackles, plus their new probowl LG, would go on to fail them all season long.

4 hours ago, Warfish said:

I might quibble about the players, but I like O-line investment.  Would all depend on how Becton/AVT are viewed coming off injuries I think.

I think some weapons on O need in there before yet another Safety.  A HR hitter RB or another young WR would be very useful, our RB room is JAG-y without hall, and our WR group is basically just Wilson and a blocker in Lazard right now.

If we go Rodgers, we should go all-in on Offense to support him.  LB and IDL can be addressed via later picks, camp cuts, later free agency, etc.  

In my limited research and knowledge of NCAA prospects, I’ve come to the conclusion that there are about 3 centers worth a 2nd round pick. Maybe 3 OT worth #13 overall. 

The later part of the draft should have value at CB, TE and RB (especially 1-dimensional RB who can be our speedback or thumper).

I’d love to see us fill some holes with cheaper vets so we can BPA this thing.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Long term, yes. As rookies? Both were 1st round picks (better prospects than either of these as of draft day); one was the 4th in the country; and anyway only one of them was awesome right away, or even in year two for that matter.

Rodgers is here for two seasons, hopefully. The thought of starting two rookie OLmen, immediately out of the gate, shouldn't give everyone the warm & fuzzies.

But yes, long term it's a sound plan for a team that doesn't have nearly as many holes as it had even this time last year, and that was before they knew that both penciled-in starting tackles, plus their new probowl LG, would go on to fail them all season long.

I think the top 3-4 or so Cs in this draft for sure can come in and start right away and be good. Not saying that that's what we do and dont sign a guy like Jones. But Jones has had concussion issues... so that rookie might be forced to start anyway even if we did sign Jones and draft a C in Round 2.

Same kind of goes for OT. Brown and Becton likely start and that rookie likely isn't beating out either of them. But Brown wasn't good last year and Becton hasn't played in 2 seasons. To only have Mitchell coming off his own issues as the only backup. OT is for sure a need. Also the rookie could beat out Brown let's say in TC. Never know.

Furthermore how about how Laken didn't look good last year. A rookie at either OT or C can put that pressure on him to have to prove he's starting worthy.

We have spots and options there. 

Finding a fit next to Quinnen on the interior DL to replace Rankin is a higher need for the team than either OT or OG.  JFM gets pushed around too much in the running game to be inside other than obvious passing downs.  So unless Tanzel Smart or Solomon Thomas turn into starting caliber players, I suspect this is where JD is focusing at #13. 

14 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think the top 3-4 or so Cs in this draft for sure can come in and start right away and be good. Not saying that that's what we do and dont sign a guy like Jones. But Jones has had concussion issues... so that rookie might be forced to start anyway even if we did sign Jones and draft a C in Round 2.

Same kind of goes for OT. Brown and Becton likely start and that rookie likely isn't beating out either of them. But Brown wasn't good last year and Becton hasn't played in 2 seasons. To only have Mitchell coming off his own issues as the only backup. OT is for sure a need. Also the rookie could beat out Brown let's say in TC. Never know.

Furthermore how about how Laken didn't look good last year. A rookie at either OT or C can put that pressure on him to have to prove he's starting worthy.

We have spots and options there. 

The problem is every year everyone thinks the top center(s) are plug & play. Last we looked, that position's had about a 50% bust rate over the past several years, and that's not including those who fell outside round 1.

If they draft a LT at #13 you can bet he's starting immediately. I'm struggling to remember the last time a tackle was taken that high and - in the absence of getting injured - was a backup. So the likelihood is if they do go tackle at #13 that they either cut, trade, or put a salary squeeze on Brown. 

Also Brown's performance last year was severely impacted by a shoulder injury that lands most players on IR. If he's not injured he's fine, should they decide to trade down or go with another position at 13. I'd object to none of those outcomes, mind you.

Don’t know the players well but I love the idea of drafting a versatile tackle in the 1st round who can play guard in year 1 for 2 reasons:

1. Tomlinson was a weak link last year and we need a real contingency plan if he doesn’t step up this year.  Yes, we signed some quality depth but not sure if they are starter grade

2. It could be great transitional step to starting tackle next year when we lose Brown and possibly Becton

1 hour ago, Sperm Edwards said:

The problem is every year everyone thinks the top center(s) are plug & play. Last we looked, that position's had about a 50% bust rate over the past several years, and that's not including those who fell outside round 1.

If they draft a LT at #13 you can bet he's starting immediately. I'm struggling to remember the last time a tackle was taken that high and - in the absence of getting injured - was a backup. So the likelihood is if they do go tackle at #13 that they either cut, trade, or put a salary squeeze on Brown. 

Also Brown's performance last year was severely impacted by a shoulder injury that lands most players on IR. If he's not injured he's fine, should they decide to trade down or go with another position at 13. I'd object to none of those outcomes, mind you.

I think having Brown-Becton-Mitchell means if any one guy gets injured your worst case is Mitchell at RT and he’s been, replacement level. Not sure a rookie tackle is really needed to break into the starting lineup. So they could certainly do a redshirt/depth guy who’d be a long term answer, but to your point if I understand it correctly that’s probably not a need you fill at 13.

And to your other point, a center isn’t really a guarantee in the draft. It appears both Schweitzer and Colon are roughly replacement level guys so maybe the idea is you draft a guy and worst case one of those guys should be serviceable. But it’s a bit of an odd plan for a win now team that could easily bring in a veteran center who played their new OL coach.

I think some weapons on O need in there before yet another Safety.  A HR hitter RB or another young WR would be very useful, our RB room is JAG-y without hall, and our WR group is basically just Wilson and a blocker in Lazard right now.
If we go Rodgers, we should go all-in on Offense to support him.  LB and IDL can be addressed via later picks, camp cuts, later free agency, etc.  
You say that now .. wait till the defense cant stop a 60 year old frank gore impersonator on 3rd and 8.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, derp said:

I think having Brown-Becton-Mitchell means if any one guy gets injured your worst case is Mitchell at RT and he’s been, replacement level. Not sure a rookie tackle is really needed to break into the starting lineup. So they could certainly do a redshirt/depth guy who’d be a long term answer, but to your point if I understand it correctly that’s probably not a need you fill at 13.

And to your other point, a center isn’t really a guarantee in the draft. It appears both Schweitzer and Colon are roughly replacement level guys so maybe the idea is you draft a guy and worst case one of those guys should be serviceable. But it’s a bit of an odd plan for a win now team that could easily bring in a veteran center who played their new OL coach.

I know it seems so, but the offseason isn’t over after the draft. It wasn’t last year either. If it was Brown wouldn’t have been on the team. Also AVT is the de facto emergency/4th tackle before even bringing in anyone else.

I’m not even slightly against taking a tackle at 13, but if they do he’s the starter at one of the spots or it was a terrible pick in an all-in season. 

#13 isn’t a depth pick draft slot unless you’re grooming a FQB or it’s at least a position that can be rotated on the field a lot & work his way on more & more. At OL if you’re not ~95% certain (nothing is 100%) he’s an instant starter this season - over someone they already have - then take a different player or trade down.

Because if the opposite concern happens - neither Brown nor Becton gets injured (go with me on this lol) - then we’d better not be one new, high talent contributor short of a SB this season.

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2023 at 1:44 PM, Claymation said:

13. Paris Johnson OT OSU

Johnson is an interesting safety prospect.  Good tackler, great motor but close to zero ball production.  25 career games got him 1 INT and 7 PBUs.  I'm not even so sure they take a safety.  Overall meh class and might go with Whitehead/Clark.

JD will likely make some deals. Obviously #42 or 43 will be gone. Wouldn’t be shocked to see him trade down from 13 and take John Michael Schmitz in late 1st/early 2nd or trade up from the 2nd. With the 3rd round pick already gone and the need for several lineman on both sides of the ball (along with needs at LB and S) a trade down might be more likely. Especially if one of the QBs is still there at 13. 

Personally like 2 straight o-line picks. But depends on if we are able to pick up more picks. We can drop Duane Brown and save some cap, if in fact Becton looks ready. But having too many lineman is not necessarily a bad thing. 

It would be strange to see an entire draft with no skill positions taken, as in this mock. If we do sign OBJ, feel like a late speedy RB or project QB is possible.