If I were Joe Douglas, I would warn the Green Bay Packers.

Alka

6 hours ago, nycdan said:

At this point, we are all debating the same thing.  Are we okay with this deal not happening?  It means we keep all our picks and cap room, but are likely looking at Bridgewater, Wentz, or Ryan for a season while we figure out our 2024 plan.  

As much as I'd hate to see that happen, I would be okay with it if JD has a line he won't cross and GB doesn't meet him there.  For me that's roughly a 2023 2nd and a 2024 2nd (with escalation for a SB appearance only).  But at the end of the day, I have no control so it will be what it will be and I will still root for the team like mad.  In that case I will root for Rodgers to show up and create strife there and the Packers to be firmly mediocre, winning about 7 games so they are stuck in purgatory indefinitely.

100% agreed

7 hours ago, JiF said:

You want him to hold firm but you want him to tell them time is running out and you're going to draft a QB?  What's the rush?  He's not making the Jets better in April and May.  Best case scenario is they dont get a deal before the draft, use all their picks to get better, and trade future draft picks for ARod after the draft. 

if this doesnt happen by the draft i dont think this happens at all. there can be no way GB doesnt get draft picks this year for Rodgers.

we all think we have a gun to there head and they have to give in to our demands, and maybe there is some truth to that. but sooner or later the bully crosses a line to where the victim tells him to go ahead and shoot cause he wont get bullied anymore. 

GB has people to answer to too. they must have a line they wont cross either. i think thats the draft. we have a 13th and 2 nice 40 something 2nd rounders. they have to get something from that if im them. 

11 hours ago, Alka said:

I would warn the Green Bay Packers that if no deal is done by draft day, it might be a possibility that we pick a QB in the draft if one drops to us that we like, and could possibly walk away from any trade for Aaron Rodgers.  I would say that it is a possibility, but not a guarantee.  I would make this statement either the day before or the day of the draft, so that Green Bay could start to sweat it out, if not deal is brokered immediately.

I want Joe Douglas to hold firm with his trade offer to Green Bay, and let them know that in any scenario, time is running out on a trade.  I assume that if no deal is made before or during the draft, the Jets must 100% draft a QB, whether it's in round #1, or round #6 to have someone to develop.  To me, that is one of the biggest issues I have with the Jets, in that they don't regularly draft QB's in later rounds, just to protect themselves when their big-time QB gets hurt or sucks, instead of bringing in 37 year old QB' veterans whose skills have greatly diminished.

I would not even bring the possibility of drafting a QB up. I would say we do this deal now or after the draft its back to square one and the deal is not nearly as sweet as it was . The Packers are basically idiots dragging this sh*t out trying to get more for a 39 year old QB who may play for one year.

What I would do if I'm Joe Douglas is after the draft offer next years second that could become a first  on the basis we make the AFCCG and that's it with no other stipulations . If that does not work you tell them then you can fork over the remainder of his contract and GFY

The longer this goes on the less I want to give the Packers anything.......if they don't agree to a deal by the draft just start talking about how great Zippy looks and worst case scenario is we get to have fun watching him throw balls in the dirt all season.....beats watching that turd Derek Carr.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Alka said:

I don't disagree with anything you said, but the fact still remains that when the draft begins, the Jets have the option of doing whatever they think will be in the best interest of the organization. If they love a QB at #13, or in the 2nd round, then that would be making a statement.  Now, I know most fans would hate this idea of drafting a QB in round 1 or round 2, since that QB must be developed for the future.  But what if no QB is picked in the draft, and we trade for Rodgers?  The Jets would still need a QB for the future to develop, no? There is no guarantee that Rodgers won't retire after this year.  There is no guarantee that the Jets will even get to the playoffs with Rodgers.  

I think it all comes down to "what prospects do the Jets love when they are on the clock?"  If they have the best player available at QB, and no Rodgers deal is in place, Should they take him?  That would be my question.

FWIW, I'd take a QB at 13 if the right player fell...so I'm w/ you, I like the idea of taking a QB but I dont think for the Jets, that Rodgers should have any impact on that decision.  If the highest rated player on the board at #13 is a QB, yes, 100%, you take him, no matter if Rodgers is coming or not.

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, doitny said:

if this doesnt happen by the draft i dont think this happens at all. there can be no way GB doesnt get draft picks this year for Rodgers.

we all think we have a gun to there head and they have to give in to our demands, and maybe there is some truth to that. but sooner or later the bully crosses a line to where the victim tells him to go ahead and shoot cause he wont get bullied anymore. 

GB has people to answer to too. they must have a line they wont cross either. i think thats the draft. we have a 13th and 2 nice 40 something 2nd rounders. they have to get something from that if im them. 

I dont really have a passionate take either way but I dont see why the deal would be off if it doesnt get done before the draft.  They're not getting 13, that's obvious, so do you really think whatever 2nd rounder they get from the Jets is going to make a difference this year?  Highly doubtful, at least not enough of impact to walk from the deal.  The motivation to move on is still there w/ or w/out an extra pick this year.

21 hours ago, kevinc855 said:

Here is my response to this take over and over....whats the plan with no a rod? Who is playing QB? Will that QB get us to the playoffs? Hard to see it. JD be committing suidice by "sticking to his guns" 

NO ONE will care if he gave away a 2024 first rounder if the Jets make it to the Super Bowl or AFC Championship

7-10 is more likely than AFC Championship with this Head Coach and team. 7-10 gets everyone fired just as quick

16 hours ago, HighPitch said:

I dont care about jd's career.......

The safest route is we take a qb at 13 and move forward, even though thats not the popular option. Even if we get rodgers, Im taking a qb at 13 if one drops

Unless the deal for Rogers incudes commitments to Rogers that any NY Jets high end draft assets be used on weapons for the offense or offensive line help.  if I am Rogers I think I make that a stipulation.

However, if other teams are not convinced we will pass on a QB (should one drop) then maybe there are chances to trade out of that position with teams who do want a QB this year.

23 hours ago, Alka said:

I would warn the Green Bay Packers that if no deal is done by draft day, it might be a possibility that we pick a QB in the draft if one drops to us that we like, and could possibly walk away from any trade for Aaron Rodgers.  I would say that it is a possibility, but not a guarantee.  I would make this statement either the day before or the day of the draft, so that Green Bay could start to sweat it out, if not deal is brokered immediately.

I want Joe Douglas to hold firm with his trade offer to Green Bay, and let them know that in any scenario, time is running out on a trade.  I assume that if no deal is made before or during the draft, the Jets must 100% draft a QB, whether it's in round #1, or round #6 to have someone to develop.  To me, that is one of the biggest issues I have with the Jets, in that they don't regularly draft QB's in later rounds, just to protect themselves when their big-time QB gets hurt or sucks, instead of bringing in 37 year old QB' veterans whose skills have greatly diminished.

Yes, because we all know how well this team picks and develops QB's. I am sure GB needs a good laugh.  

• Haha 1

I don’t recall seeing any qb other than Carr being brought in so far. Apparently woody wants to ensure there’s no future draft picks if Rodgers doesn’t play two seasons. Seems pretty reasonable especially since Rodgers said he was 90% certain of retirement. I’m guessing Douglas doesn’t already have a plan b. The only downside is if this deal fails then the cost of getting wentz or Winston or tannehill goes up.

I feel confident the trade will be made on draft day.  Best case scenario is someone the Packers really like falls to #13.

Jets Receive

• Aaron Rodgers
  • Pick #15
  • 2024 3rd round pick (if Rodgers retires prior to 2024 draft)
  • 2025 2nd round pick (if Rodgers retires between 2024 draft and 2024 season)

Packers Receive

• Pick #13
  • Pick #42

There is definitely a bit of mutually assured destruction going on here but the Packers literally have zero leverage.  None whatsoever.

They don't want Rogers back under any circumstances let a lone a $60M man who may feel the Packers screwed over his move after telling the world that THEY were moving on from him.  That would work out really well for them.  There is no realistic alternative trade partner out there to frighten the Jets with,  This is the place he wants to be.  Period.  Particularly since the Jets already picked up his favorite receiver.

The clock is ticking and every day it gets worse for the Pack.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Smashmouth said:

I would not even bring the possibility of drafting a QB up. I would say we do this deal now or after the draft its back to square one and the deal is not nearly as sweet as it was . The Packers are basically idiots dragging this sh*t out trying to get more for a 39 year old QB who may play for one year.

What I would do if I'm Joe Douglas is after the draft offer next years second that could become a first  on the basis we make the AFCCG and that's it with no other stipulations . If that does not work you tell them then you can fork over the remainder of his contract and GFY

I do agree with you.  

While getting Rodgers should not interfere with what the Jets do or don't do in the draft, the dynamic of a trade might change if the Jets do pick up a QB early on.  Would JD consider a QB at #13 if no deal is in place by draft time with Green Bay?  It's impossible to say, isn't it?

By the way, Rodgers will turn 40 years old before the end of the season.  While everyone compares age to what Tom Brady was able to accomplish at age 45, not everyone is Tom Brady or built like him.  We don't know if Aaron Rodgers will be great in a year from now, if he even decides to play a second season.

• Upvote 1

On 4/13/2023 at 2:24 PM, rex-n-effect said:

This is incredibly stupid

I will tell you what is incredibly stupid to me.  Making a general statement about a bunch of thoughts and not specifying or going into detail why something is incredibly stupid to you.  I can't react to you, since I need to know the "what" and the "why".   If the entire post is incredibly stupid, then I need to know why.   But maybe you don't know why?  Communication goes both ways, but just saying something is incredibly stupid won't allow me to respond to you. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alka said:

I will tell you what is incredibly stupid to me.  Making a general statement about a bunch of thoughts and not specifying or going into detail why something is incredibly stupid to you.  I can't react to you, since I need to know the "what" and the "why".   If the entire post is incredibly stupid, then I need to know why.   But maybe you don't know why?  Communication goes both ways, but just saying something is incredibly stupid won't allow me to respond to you. 

It was a warning. See how effective that is. 

On 4/13/2023 at 1:52 PM, BornJetsFan1983 said:

do you think Zach wilson should be developed and given a chance to learn under rogers? Geno was able to play the position after a few years of riding the pine. QB is a learned skill if you have some talent and I think zach has some talent. Or do you think we should just give up on him? Cause I do not see any scenario where you have have Zach on the team if we draft another QB. especillay now that we are signing two GB Qbs.

I would give up on Zach.  Geno took several teams and a decade to somehow become the QB he is today.  The Jets don't have 10 years to develop Zach.  Zach was so incredibly bad last year towards the end of the year, that he had to be benched for a guy picked several years ago in the 5th round by the Cowboys.  Even after he got hurt, the thought of bringing Zach back in was an awful thought.  Zach was epic bad.  

If Zach could somehow be transformed into a good QB, that would be epic in his turnaround.  I just don't see it.

16 minutes ago, Alka said:

I would give up on Zach.  Geno took several teams and a decade to somehow become the QB he is today.  The Jets don't have 10 years to develop Zach.  Zach was so incredibly bad last year towards the end of the year, that he had to be benched for a guy picked several years ago in the 5th round by the Cowboys.  Even after he got hurt, the thought of bringing Zach back in was an awful thought.  Zach was epic bad.  

If Zach could somehow be transformed into a good QB, that would be epic in his turnaround.  I just don't see it.

haha fair enough but whats the deal with the Mike White hate!! that  5th rounder played the best QB for any team in the league in the few games he had over the last couple years. and should have won against Minn as hurt as he was. God damn berrios. Glad he is gone. but all very interesting. Im not sure we can give up on him yet. but im almost there. HIm being number 3 seems fine but if we draft a guy this year, he has to go.

3 hours ago, BornJetsFan1983 said:

haha fair enough but whats the deal with the Mike White hate!! that  5th rounder played the best QB for any team in the league in the few games he had over the last couple years. and should have won against Minn as hurt as he was. God damn berrios. Glad he is gone. but all very interesting. Im not sure we can give up on him yet. but im almost there. HIm being number 3 seems fine but if we draft a guy this year, he has to go.

Could you please tell me a worse QB than Zach Wilson picked by the Jets in either the 1st or 2nd round of the draft?  I mean, Geno was better, Sam Darnold was better.  Pennington was much better, and I will tell you that Ken O'Brien was much better.  

At this point, I wish we had Sam Darnold back!!

Would you trade Sam Darnold straight up for Zach Wilson?  Because this team couldn't get rid of Sam fast enough, and I think he can run rings around Zach.  

Tell me I'm wrong!!  LOL

• Sympathy 1

4 hours ago, EM31 said:

There is definitely a bit of mutually assured destruction going on here but the Packers literally have zero leverage.  None whatsoever.

They don't want Rogers back under any circumstances let a lone a $60M man who may feel the Packers screwed over his move after telling the world that THEY were moving on from him.  That would work out really well for them.  There is no realistic alternative trade partner out there to frighten the Jets with,  This is the place he wants to be.  Period.  Particularly since the Jets already picked up his favorite receiver.

The clock is ticking and every day it gets worse for the Pack.

Exactly the opposite. Pack benefits from waiting and after the jets need him by June 17th at the latest to work with the offense. 

packers bluff of “well I guess you can have him on Memorial Day” is much more impactful than, “ok how are you going to explain that to Jordan loves agent?”  

can you imagine the daily press coverage of training camp if Zach Wilson is taking the reps with the ones and throwing pick 6’s ?

there is bad blood between Rodgers and the Packers, they don’t gaf if he likes it or not. 

I don’t think this will happen. I think it happens during the draft but the packers ace up their sleeve is woody wanting his shiny new toy.