What are the signs an aging QB no longer has it?

1 hour ago, slats said:

He was averaging 7.4 ypa with a 98 passer rating thru five games before he broke the thumb at the end of the Giants game. Then he fell off to 6.8 and 91. It was bothering him thru December. 

That was his first game after breaking his thumb. 

Let's hope it goes  well and we get 2021 Rodgers. I am not predicting he will fall off a cliff but the history of that happening just can't be totally rationalized away

6 hours ago, Bowles Movement said:

I think the desire to stand in there and take a hit declines as they become 40 and wealthy beyond imagination. 

If they have injuries, then that can effect their arm strength and accuracy but besides Peyton and maybe Big Ben I don't know of another example of that.  The way the NFL now protects QBs helps for sure.

Mostly I think they get comfortable in their life and figure its time to move on while theyre still able to walk.

At the end of their careers, both Roethlisberger and Brady led the league—by a decent margin—in time to throw. They simply would not stand in to take a hit and instead focused on living for the next play, which isn’t a terrible strategy, but it’s not sustainable in any way shape or form. Rodgers isn’t showing that level of chickensh*ttery just yet and has, in fact, subjected himself to too much of a beating the past few years. Last year, he was sacked 32 times, but held the ball for 3.89 seconds when pressured (2nd most, after Justin Fields and just above Mahomes). Bottom line, he probably has to practice more self-preservation. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, slats said:

Lions started the year 1-6, finished 8-2, and now they’re the darlings of NFL media for this season, so that surge probably has something to do with it. 

Goff finished the year with over 4400 yards and a TD:int ratio of 29:7. Maybe he’s not your mother’s Jared Goff. 

He can’t get it up anymore.  Bed room problems off the field, lead to problems  on the football field.

• 7 months later...
On 5/16/2023 at 10:42 AM, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

I thought this might be an interesting topic as Rodgers enters his age 39 season.

The most obvious & somewhat painful decline I’ve witnessed was Peyton Manning losing his arm strength due to a chronic neck injury.

What have you seen in your career (lol) watching football?

We’ve seen Rivers, Ryan, Brady, Eli, Brees, Newton all say their goodbyes in recent years.  

1. Is it typically the arm strength .. like Peyton & Brees?

2. Does processing speed (or reflexes) begin to slow?

3. Does accuracy become an issue … from older, rustier parts?

Simple. 

He goes to the Jets.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

The other troubling thing actually comes from his brief 4 plays here, on the play he got hurt, it actually looked like he froze on the play.

A quick hitting play was called, the receiver was open he did not throw the ball and the rest is history.

I remember my wife even making a comment about this. That’s how you know it’s bad.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Two troubling things about Rodgers for me.

one his last year in Green Bay was his worst since his rookie year.  Better than the QBing we have had but far fr from mvp pro bowl level of play.

And as for the whole he had a bad thumb, that means he has been hurt two years in a row.

The other troubling thing actually comes from his brief 4 plays here, on the play he got hurt, it actually looked like he froze on the play.

A quick hitting play was called, the receiver was open he did not throw the ball and the rest is history.

Aaron Rodgers was a massive mistake by the Jets franchise. Jets will probably squeak into the playoffs next season and get bounced in the first round. That is as good as it gets for the return on investment for the Jets after the Rodgers trade.

• Upvote 2

It’s very hard to judge today’s qbs. One they all know how to train to prolong their careers. They didn’t 15 years ago.

We all thought Brady was crazy to say he could effectively play until his mid 40s.

Everyone told rodgers he was insane to come back from yr from an injury no one has ever done before. He was driven to, and his body followed.

brett farve was going down hill few years before we picked him up. He got jets rolling to 8-3 until he torn his bicep. The next yr at 40 with the Vikings, was 1 of the best years of his entire long impressive career. But he was in a good spot. Rodgers obviously has a MUCH MUCH bigger disadvantage with jets O than Farve had with the 2010 talented Vikings.

Manning threw 50 tds with broncos end of his career. Again on a talented offense. Thanks to Joe Douglas this offense is FAR from talented. Hopefully we can set Aaron up in a better spot next yr to see if he too can pull some magic out at end of his career like the other greats. 

1 hour ago, Beerfish said:

Yep, this is what I keep coming back to. He looked old. It happens so fast in sports. These guys go from best player in the world to middling starter in one offseason. 

• Upvote 2

I think it’s mainly just slower recovery from injuries sustained during the game.  These guys get beat up on Sunday but by Wednesday they’re pretty much ready to go.  Happens a lot slower when people grow older.  And as we saw with Favre, the coaches can be reluctant to pull a player if it’s something that doesn’t need surgery.