Since striking out on Zach, JD has done the following ..

At the end of the day the Niners would have taken Wilson if we traded them the pick. Bit instead they traded up and took Trey Lance with the next pick. But they are a model organization and we suck.
Yeah cause trey Lance is the second coming ... Geez

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

• Sympathy 1

1 hour ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

5. Sauce (‘22 draft):  arguably best CB in NFL

We need another excellent year from Sauce before crowning 👑 him to ensure he isn't a one hit wonder. I  believe he will excell or accelerate his skills, but I do want to see proof first.

• Upvote 3

The biggest mistake that we make is that we assume that players stay the same or get better whereas the reality is that rookies that played great in their 1st year May take a step back while others that played ok improve. Teams now have tape on all these guys. In the end it comes down to position depth and the system implemented by the coaching staff which is why I have confidence in this team particularly with Rodgers leading the orchestra 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, bicketybam said:

At the end of the day the Niners would have taken Wilson if we traded them the pick. Bit instead they traded up and took Trey Lance with the next pick. But they are a model organization and we suck.

And the niners wouldn’t have paired Zach with a first time coach set like saleh and milfy.  I don’t think the impact of milfy can be overstated.

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, rangerous said:

And the niners wouldn’t have paired Zach with a first time coach set like saleh and milfy.  I don’t think the impact of milfy can be overstated.

Zach still sucks and Milfy is 3000 miles away, so yes you can overstate the impact of LaFleur.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, bicketybam said:

They scored Brock Purdy with last pick in draft. We don’t suck, we just suck at drafting qbs lol. Rodgers is a nice alternative universe we get to live in for a yr or 2, before we again have to search to find a qb like every yr ha.

if Moore does really good in Cleveland is that still a miss cause we got rid of him? i think he is going to be good with a NFL QB throwing to him. 

i think it was a mistake to get rid of him. yeah he didnt want to be here with Zach as his QB, im sure he had no problem playing for Rodgers.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

We are all so close to this ("this" being every single jets draft pick, player move, etc) that we forget that the best GMs miss all the time.  Thankfully for them, Baltimore didnt fire Ozzie Newsome when he took Kyle Boller, it happens.

QB is so important that you have to take swings - you want to make them as calculated as possible but given where the team was and what he got in return for Sam, the swing at Zach made sense at the time.  What I think JD is seeing now though is that its better to just keep building the team as the Eagles and Ravens do.  Then take your QB swings in middle rounds because outside of the Luck, Lawerence, type guys at 1 overall, the chances of hitting arent much better picking 2-5 then they are 15-75.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

2 hours ago, Bronx said:

You should also add that he struck out on consecutive drafts.

No mention of Becton, Kalil.

The topic is since missing on Wilson ..  or his last 2 years..  before Wilson, first draft was horrific while he sprinkled in some good pickups thru other means (JFM via waivers; Huff as an unrestricted free agent).

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

5 minutes ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The topic is since missing on Wilson ..  or his last 2 years..  before Wilson, first draft was horrific while he sprinkled in some good pickups thru other means (JFM via waivers; Huff as an unrestricted free agent).

Is ZW still on the team?  Maybe I missed the trade or cut.  Until ZW has been jettisoned, JD hasn't missed anything other than having him start since day 1.  Right now ZW's status is still in limbo and until then, JD gets an incomplete.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

6 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Joe Douglas just traded for a new QB1 (committing at least the next 2 years to him) even though he has until May of 2024 to determine whether to hand Zach Wilson a 5th year option.  And meanwhile, Wilson is still showing the same short ball accuracy, in shorts nonetheless, in the first practices of his 3rd season.

Wilson is a "miss".  A # 2 overall pick who played his way out of the starting job and has no chance at getting a QB1 job until, at minimum, 2025 (whether here or elsewhere) is a miss.  The opportunity cost of what we could have gotten with the pick instead (Chase, Pitts, Sewell, Waddle, trade down) - I.E. guys who are actually contributing to their teams in a big right now rather than competing with Tim Boyle for QB2 duties - only adds to that argument.

I get it!  All I'm saying is, we can't officially call ZW a bust just yet...not until the fat lady sings so to speak, right now she's still taking singing lessons.

• Sympathy 1

18 minutes ago, NIGHT STALKER said:

I get it!  All I'm saying is, we can't officially call ZW a bust just yet...not until the fat lady sings so to speak, right now she's still taking singing lessons.

No but the pick is still a miss because he's basically a lock to not contribute anything positive in his 4 years with the Jets.  He's not taking the job from Rodgers and his chances of getting any kind of 2nd contract here is minimal.  Anything he offers to the league will be for a future franchise. 

So even if he ends up not being a bust, its a missed pick for Douglas.  A bust and a missed/bad pick don't always go hand-in-hand.  Jamal Adams wasn't technically a bust.  But he WAS an awful pick.

8 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The trend is our friend.  Feel free to disagree with my player assessments and please add your own.

At a high level, more & bigger hits than misses + a net bullish group of prospects.

Hits

1. AVT (‘21 draft):  top 3 RG + quality tackle

2. Carter II (‘21 draft):  top 5 slot corner

3. Quincy Williams (waivers):  good starting LB

4. DJ Reed (‘22 FA):  top 3 #2 corner

6. Garrett (‘22 draft):  a true #1 WR

7. Breece (‘22 draft):  there are no words 

8. Rodgers (‘23 trade):  tbd but JD gets a ‘hit’ for acquiring a franchise QB who (unlike Favre) seems happy to be here & motivated to win a title 

Misses

1. Moore (‘21 draft):  me first attitude when things got tough.  Traded for equivalent of a 3rd after showing promise early

2. Flacco (‘22 FA):  why??

3. Tomlinson (‘22 FA):  looked lost

4. Joyner (‘22 FA):  looked old

5. Berrios (‘22 FA):  miscast + went backwards on specials 

How can you tell?

1. Conklin/Uzomah w/ MiLF calling the plays & Zach throwing the ball

2. Brown playing LT w/ a torn rotator cuff

Bullish on..

- Sherwood (looked good in preseason & limited playing time vs Bills).  Possibly the #1 reason we haven’t brought back Kwon

- Johnson (already a strong run defender, upside as pass rusher)

- Clemons (dominant as a rookie stopping the run; moving to the inside to scare the hell out of … I mean rush the passer)

- Ruckert (turn on his Miami film; has been flashing in OTAs)

- Mitchell (3 sacks in almost 400 reps last year; 2 of them the QBs fault)

Bearish on ..

- Carter (was he hurt last year?)

- Nasirildeen (expect him to be cut)

Solid post.

👏 

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, Green Ghost said:

Hot take. Having Rodgers play QB is going to obscure the fact that our ‘23 draft will end up almost as bad as JD’s first one.

The only player I have any confidence in is Tippman, and I still believe we took the wrong Center. I’d have gone with Schmitz.

I disagree wholeheartedly,  and we're usually on the same page. I was saying for months that JMS was overhyped by this MB and Tipp was OC #1.

We shall see, bro

• Upvote 3
  • Post of the Week 1

12 minutes ago, Jet_Engine1 said:

I disagree wholeheartedly,  and we're usually on the same page. 

We shall see, bro

I hope you end up being the one who gets to do the chirping, buddy. 
( I should’ve included Israel Abanikanda along with Tippman, I like that kid.)

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

The trend is our friend.  Feel free to disagree with my player assessments and please add your own.

At a high level, more & bigger hits than misses + a net bullish group of prospects.

Hits

8. Rodgers (‘23 trade):  tbd but JD gets a ‘hit’ for acquiring a franchise QB who (unlike Favre) seems happy to be here & motivated to win a title 

Misses

1. Moore (‘21 draft):  me first attitude when things got tough.  Traded for equivalent of a 3rd after showing promise early

How can you tell?

Bullish on..

- Sherwood (looked good in preseason & limited playing time vs Bills).  Possibly the #1 reason we haven’t brought back Kwon

- Clemons (dominant as a rookie stopping the run; moving to the inside to scare the hell out of … I mean rush the passer)

Bearish on ..

Great write up.

This is only on field moves...got the scouts and system behind the scenes humming

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, OtherwiseHappyinLife said:

Hits

Misses

How can you tell?

Bullish on..

Bearish on ..

Saying we "struck out" on Zach is just such a lazy take. But Jets fans just hate Zach and have from before he even took a snap so why would anyone see the other factors at work.

• Upvote 3
  • More Ugh 1

56 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

Saying we "struck out" on Zach is just such a lazy take. But Jets fans just hate Zach and have from before he even took a snap so why would anyone see the other factors at work.

We thought he wouldn’t be good for numerous compelling reasons, and whaddya know….he wasn’t.  

5 hours ago, johnnysd said:

I think that is really the only frustrating part ... There was hate before his first training camp .. really interesting.... Gotta love NY

4 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

We thought he wouldn’t be good for numerous compelling reasons, and whaddya know….he wasn’t.  

... And to this date ... Neither are Lance and Fields.

Edited by Dunnie

9 hours ago, Green Ghost said:

Hot take. Having Rodgers play QB is going to obscure the fact that our ‘23 draft will end up almost as bad as JD’s first one.

The only player I have any confidence in is Tippman, and I still believe we took the wrong Center. I’d have gone with Schmitz.

So with one OTA in the books the 2023 draft already sucks?  Sweet

• Haha 3

Wilson was an epic miss. He might go down as the biggest bust in NFL history, but JD hit it out of the park in 2022. There are still some questionable players on the roster that need to show up. I put Max Mitchell in this category. Once AVT wasn't  next to him, he looked overwhelmed. It think Carter the RB will not get extended unless he signs a very cap friendly deal or he has a great year 3. He might be a victim of being forced into a role that doesn't  suit him and being poorly used by MLF but he seemed to have more misses than hits last season. MCII was great value for where he was taken but he is slightly above average and not sure I want to see him as a #2 if Reed or Sauce go down. 

Overall,  I'm pleased but JD still needs to show we can draft and develop a QB. 

• Upvote 1