Jets signing Dalvin Cook? 6/9 Update Cook Released

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

The only finagling that Rodgers’ contract is getting this year is an INCREASE in pay.  He’s only a $1.1M cap hit in 2023 currently.  Meanwhile you’re looking for a RB on a 1-year deal to help replace Breece, no?  Rodgers can’t help you there.  

And no, I’m not talking about CEH.  I posted several other guys earlier in the thread who could shake loose.  All are better options than handing Dalvin big money we need to use to pay Rodgers.  

You’re missing my point. We add a guy like Cook then Rodgers when we give him his pay increase is likely to take less this year bc that’s a win now move to help the team. 

• Upvote 1
  • More Ugh 1

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

You’re missing my point. We add a guy like Cook then Rodgers when we give him his pay increase is likely to take less this year bc that’s a win now move to help the team. 

You’re missing mine.  Rodgers taking “less” this year doesn’t help us.  We need to find a way to increase his 2023 cap # to $20-30M this year so we can reduce his 2024 cap hit, which currently sits at over $100M.  

Rodgers being a “team player” or not has nothing to do with what I’m saying.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sympathy 1

2 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

You are just enamored with the name and are ignoring the Jets roster, the Jets cap situation, the money owed to Rodgers, and the natural regression of the production of running backs as they age.  If Cook was so freaking wonderful, he would still be on the Vikings, a 13-4 playoff team a year ago.  Why aren't Vikings fans screaming from the rooftops over the decision to cut this fantastic future HOF, perennial Pro Bowl player ??????????

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, Jet Nut said:

No the Jets admitted nothing about Gibbs.  Bugler wrote an article that the Jets may have been interested in Gibbs if he was available and everyone ran with it.  
All while on 1JD after the draft, to a man when JD went around the room McDonald was the 1st choice. 

Wrong - they were drafting him, if he was available. 

• More Ugh 1

6 minutes ago, JETS SB said:

Wrong - they were drafting him, if he was available. 

No you’re wrong.  
You have nothing more than one media guy saying they might have drafted him while I have all the top scouts and GM all saying they hoped McDonald would be there.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

You’re missing mine.  Rodgers taking “less” this year doesn’t help us.  We need to find a way to increase his 2023 cap # to $20-30M this year so we can reduce his 2024 cap hit, which currently sits at over $100M.  

Rodgers being a “team player” or not has nothing to do with what I’m saying.  

It’s a common ground though. What’s the pointing the season? To win the SB right? Not to just be good and pay Rodgers as much as we can. I’ll gladly sacrifice paying Rodgers 2-3mill more this year if that means we can add a RB like Cook rather than a guy like CEH. 

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It’s a common ground though. What’s the pointing the season? To win the SB right? Not to just be good and pay Rodgers as much as we can. I’ll gladly sacrifice paying Rodgers 2-3mill more this year if that means we can add a RB like Cook rather than a guy like CEH. 

Why do the Jets need to add a RB at all?  

1 hour ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Because Breece won’t be the Breece of last year until, at minimum, Week 6?

Carter sucks (especially in the early downs), Bam is JAG-ish and we don’t know what the rookie will look like yet.  I’d like an upgrade.  

• Upvote 3

16 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

Because Breece won’t be the Breece of last year until, at minimum, Week 6?

Carter sucks (especially in the early downs), Bam is JAG-ish and we don’t know what the rookie will look like yet.  I’d like an upgrade.  

In fairness we don’t know. He could be a freak like Adrian Peterson Or could be Sequan Barkley.  

I agree with you we should add another RB and not break the bank.  Hopefully Hunt will take a more friendly deal if we are interested. 

im not into a lot of these guys like CEH. Would like a more proven guy 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

You are just enamored with the name and are ignoring the Jets roster, the Jets cap situation, the money owed to Rodgers, and the natural regression of the production of running backs as they age.  If Cook was so freaking wonderful, he would still be on the Vikings, a 13-4 playoff team a year ago.  Why aren't Vikings fans screaming from the rooftops over the decision to cut this fantastic future HOF, perennial Pro Bowl player ??????????

Exactly this.

I would not mind having a tandem of Cook and Breece in the backfield for the Jets. It would help make Rodgers life easier but when I look at what his cap hit ( 9 mil.) was going to be for the Vikings for his amount of production , it makes me wonder if they know something the other teams don't. I'm not saying he is fall off a cliff Zeke bad but somethings up. 

I'd like to get Fournette . Bruiser back who can pick up the short yardage 1st downs and punch it in the redzone.

26 minutes ago, juxsta said:

Exactly this.

I would not mind having a tandem of Cook and Breece in the backfield for the Jets. It would help make Rodgers life easier but when I look at what his cap hit ( 9 mil.) was going to be for the Vikings for his amount of production , it makes me wonder if they know something the other teams don't. I'm not saying he is fall off a cliff Zeke bad but somethings up. 

I'd like to get Fournette . Bruiser back who can pick up the short yardage 1st downs and punch it in the redzone.

Fournette? Talk about a guy who looked completely done last season!  3.5 yards a carry and replaced by a rookie half way through the season (imagine that!). 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Stark said:

In fairness we don’t know. He could be a freak like Adrian Peterson Or could be Sequan Barkley.  

I agree with you we should add another RB and not break the bank.  Hopefully Hunt will take a more friendly deal if we are interested. 

im not into a lot of these guys like CEH. Would like a more proven guy 

I want Eno Benjamin (Saints).  But him getting let go or not will be dependent on how long Alvin Kamara gets suspended.  Right now their depth chart is Kamara-Jamaal Williams-Kendre Miller-Benjamin.  

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Joe Willie White Shoes said:

Bc Carter and Knight aren’t good and Hall is coming off an acl tear. For a win now team to think Carter and Knight can carry the load to ease a Hall back is foolish.

• Upvote 2

By Zack Rosenblatt

Recently, Dalvin Cook went on “The Rich Eisen Show” and said: “I want somebody who wants Dalvin Cook.”

Could the Jets be that somebody?

Coach Robert Saleh said before the end of OTAs that the Jets would “turn the stones over on that one” and added, “I’m not sure how the money works on that.” Cook himself has mentioned the Jets as a potential destination, and has stoked the flames on social media, too.

ADVERTISEMENT

But, ultimately, is it the right fit? Should the Jets pursue the 27-year-old running back, fresh off his fourth straight 1,000-yard season, cut on June 8 because his contract got too expensive?

I decided to dive into the pros and cons of Cook.

Pro: Production

No matter what you think about Cook and where he’s at in this stage of his career, it’s undeniable that he’s been one of the most productive running backs in the NFL over the last four seasons. He has the third-most rushing yards and second-most touchdowns over that stretch. His “down” year in 2022 — 1,468 total yards, 10 touchdowns — would’ve been the Jets’ best season for a running back since Thomas Jones in 2009 (1,460 yards, 14 touchdowns).

He also finished eighth in missed tackles forced (51), per Pro Football Focus, as well as eighth in runs for 10-plus yards (30) and 12th in yards after contact per attempt (3.18).

Con: Health and usage

Cook turns 28 in August, which is often when running backs with heavy usage rates start to decline — and sometimes sooner. Cook has more carries over the last four years (1,075) than every running back other than Derrick Henry. And he did all of that over the last few years, he told Eisen, while playing through a torn labrum. That’s commendable, especially considering his level of production despite the injury, but still concerning as he gets older. He did have surgery on the shoulder in February.

Cook has said in various interviews that the shoulder is “fixed” and said this to Adam Schefter on his podcast: “It’s going to be a big difference, man, not just it being in my head anymore. … When you get the ball, it’s always in your head, like, ‘My shoulder could possibly come out.’

“Now I can be Dalvin Cook, back to Florida State Dalvin Cook, and just turn it loose, be me,” he added. “And just have fun. Man, I’m just ready to go have fun.”

Pro: Willingness to take a backseat

One reason it might be appealing for Cook to join the Jets: He wouldn’t have to be the workhorse in their offense. The Jets are acting confident that Breece Hall will be ready to play in Week 1 coming off ACL surgery, but even if he’s not, they still have Michael Carter and fifth-round pick Israel Abanikanda. The Jets under Mike LaFleur used a running back rotation — though that was about to change once Hall started taking off, pre-ACL injury — and historically, Nathaniel Hackett-led offenses have favored split workloads.

ADVERTISEMENT

In 2022 with the Broncos, Melvin Gordon and Javonte Williams had a fairly even split before Williams got injured in Week 4: 47 carries for Williams, 37 for Gordon. When Hackett was with the Packers, Aaron Jones split with A.J. Dillon in 2021 (187 for Dillon, 171 for Jones) and with Jamaal Williams in 2020 (201 for Jones, 119 for Williams).

The Vikings felt comfortable moving on from Cook because they already had Alexander Mattison on the roster — but it’s not as if Cook-Mattison ever came close to a 50/50 split. Mattison topped out at 134 carries in 2021, with 86 coming in games Cook didn’t play.

It sounds like Cook is willing to take on a lighter workload for a chance to win a Super Bowl, too. He said in an interview with Sirius XM that he wants to “just help somebody win and get over the hump and whatever that situation comes with, if it comes with me taking less reps, but me being in the perfect situation to hold up that trophy, I don’t mind.”

If Hall is healthy, he will be the Jets’ No. 1 running back.

Con: The decline is real

Not to contradict the first point about his production in 2022, but there is evidence Cook is heading in the wrong direction.

First, Cook accomplished what he did in 2022 behind the third-best run-blocking offensive line in the league, per PFF, and the 10th-best passing attack. In 2021, the Vikings were 16th and fourth in those categories, respectively.

In the last two years combined, per TruMedia, Cook ranks 46th (of 57) in successful play rate on rushes and 51st on third-down conversion rate on rushes, among running backs with at least 150 carries. Per Michael Nania, Cook leads all running backs in combined drops, fumbles and allowed pressures since 2019 with 61. Cook lost four fumbles last year, tied for the most among all running backs with Alvin Kamara.

ADVERTISEMENT

Last year, Cook had the third-highest percentage (23.5) of rushes for zero or negative yards among running backs with at least 100 carries, per TruMedia. Former Jet James Robinson had the worst percentage. Cook also was 38th (of 42) in first-down rate — Carter was 42nd. He’s still capable of making things happen when a play breaks down, but maybe not at the level he used to.

Pro: Ease in Hall

Ever the optimist, Saleh boldly declared on May 31 that not only was he “very optimistic” that Hall would be ready for Week 1 but that he believed Hall “won’t need to be limited during training camp, even though we still will just be cautious with him.”

“He looks awesome,” Saleh said, and pointed out that Hall had reached more than 22 miles per hour on the GPS during OTAs, which was around his speed on a touchdown run against the Broncos last year.

Hall was a bit more cautious, saying, “I’ll be ready when I’ll be ready. Obviously, I hope I’m ready (for Week 1), but you never know. I’m just taking it a week at a time and letting my knee do what it does.”

Even if Hall is ready for Week 1, I remain skeptical that he’ll be ready to play right away with the same level of explosiveness that he flashed as a rookie before getting injured. Maybe Hall is an outlier, but history indicates running backs coming off ACL injuries need time to regain their pre-injury form. The best example is Saquon Barkley, a physical and athletic freak of nature who struggled in his first year back from the ACL injury he suffered in Week 2 of 2020. Hall suffered his injury in Week 7 last year.

In 2021, Barkley rushed for only 593 yards in 13 games. In 2022: 1,312 yards.

ADVERTISEMENT

Another example: Cook. He suffered a torn ACL as a rookie in 2017 and missed five of the first eight games in 2018. He started his four-year streak of 1,000-yard games in 2019.

The point: Even if Hall is ready to go in Week 1, he shouldn’t be a bell cow — and having Cook split carries with him sounds more appealing than Carter or Abanikanda, who is talented but unproven.

Con: Money (maybe)

This is the big unknown: how much money Cook wants. The Vikings cut him, unwilling to pay $11 million, an understandable decision considering the state of the running back market. The Jets believe in, and are fully committed to, Hall as their No. 1 running back.

So the Jets’ level of interest can only truly be gauged by how much Cook wants. I wouldn’t expect GM Joe Douglas to be willing to spend much on a running back who would be part of a rotation, but Cook is also, at his best, one of the 10 best running backs in the league. He’s also attracting interest from other teams, like the Dolphins.

The Jets currently have $23.1 million in cap space, though they’ll need some of that for if/when they restructure Aaron Rodgers’ deal. The sweet spot might be a deal in the one-year, $5 million to $6 million range, which would put Cook around the top 13 to 15 highest-paid running backs.

But another thing to consider: Other decent running backs — Kareem Hunt, Leonard Fournette — are still available for cheaper. Also, the Jets really do believe in Abanikanda’s ability to contribute right away.

Conclusion

If the Jets can get Cook to sign in the $4 million to $6 million range for a year to chase a ring with a reduced workload, it’s absolutely worth it. Beyond that, the Jets should look elsewhere if they want/need another running back.

(Photo: Stephen Maturen / Getty Images)

The Football 100, the definitive ranking of the NFL’s best 100 players of all time, goes on sale this fall. Pre-order it here.

51 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Also, the Jets really do believe in Abanikanda’s ability to contribute right away.

@JETS SB firmly disagrees. 

51 minutes ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Conclusion

If the Jets can get Cook to sign in the $4 million to $6 million range for a year to chase a ring with a reduced workload, it’s absolutely worth it.

I firmly disagree. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, slats said:

I firmly disagree. 

I kind of do also, but I think it is reasonable to want Cook at a less than crazy price and this seems like a rational argument.  I am with @Beerfish that I'd rather the money go to Quinnen and lowering Rodgers 2024 hit, but I can get wanting Cook if they are all in and don't feel Abanikanda will be ready from the jump.  The one thing about Hall being hurt is that they need the help early, rather than later.  That goes counter to the usual process of working the rookie in to take some pressure off the incumbent. 

• Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, KRL said:

Williams contract and Rodgers re-structure should be the only deals Douglas should be working on

11 minutes ago, peekskill68 said:

I would think resigning Kwon Alexander makes sense unless the team really believes in Sherwood....

GMs can do multiple things at one time.  

Luckily, we don't have to make any moves outside of Rodgers/QW/Kwon for a while:  Again, I see no reason not to wait until we get closer to roster cutdowns in 2 months, when nearly 1,200 players will come available.  That's a sh*t-ton. 

Good GM's take advantage of the major cutdown day by looking into quality bubble guys that they can acquire for a 7th rounder or conditional 6th as the Aug 29 deadline approaches.  Or just wait until the cuts and scoop up players at positions of need. 

Handing Cook, Zeke, Hopkins or whoever big money right now would be insanity.  Something a Mike Maccagnan would do.  Never go full Maccagnan.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, #27TheDominator said:

I kind of do also, but I think it is reasonable to want Cook at a less than crazy price and this seems like a rational argument.  I am with @Beerfish that I'd rather the money go to Quinnen and lowering Rodgers 2024 hit, but I can get wanting Cook if they are all in and don't feel Abanikanda will be ready from the jump.  The one thing about Hall being hurt is that they need the help early, rather than later.  That goes counter to the usual process of working the rookie in to take some pressure off the incumbent. 

I suspect that Cook is just about cooked, and not worth anywhere near $4-6M at this stage of his career. He was drafting in that offense last year with Cousins compiling and one of the best OLs in the league. I honestly don’t believe he’d be much of an upgrade at all over Carter or Knight. 

It’s a young man’s position. I’d rather scour the waiver wire for young talent than overpay a guy with a name past his expiration date. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thumb Down 1

Conclusion

If the Jets can get Cook to sign in the $4 million to $6 million range for a year to chase a ring with a reduced workload, it’s absolutely worth it. Beyond that, the Jets should look elsewhere if they want/need another running back.

Mind Blown GIF

• Haha 4

2 hours ago, LAD_Brooklyn said:

Recently, Dalvin Cook went on “The Rich Eisen Show” and said: “I want somebody who wants Dalvin Cook.”

Warfish thinks there is nothing more annoying than when people refer to themselves in third person.

Warfish is truly annoyed by that.

Warfish wants guys who don't do that.

• Haha 3

More seriously, I can see pro/con on this.

One one hand, we're clearly all-in on a 1-2 year hope for a title with Rodgers.  That is IMO unquestionable.  On that front, paying a few one-year deals to help that happen make some sense, despite longer term pain it may cause.

On the other hand, we have Hall/Cater/Abanikanda, all draft picks at RB, and Knight, the fan-liked UDFA.

Is that not enough at RB that we need more?  If so, what does that say about this group then?  All draft time folks here at JN said RB wasn't a need at all, pre-Abanikanda.  So now it's so big a need we need Cook?

I think the Jets stand firm on RB, if I had to predict.    JD is all-in, but not really all-in, if you get my gist.

Carter was so good in 2021, the talk through training camp and the first few games of the 2022 season was that the Jets would use him in a committee with Hall.  Carter actually played well early in the season. His decline (and Knight's) followed the injuries to the OL and Wilson being put back in the lineup after White was injured.  If the OL is fine, I have no doubt that Carter, Knight, and Abanikanda can carry the load as Hall is eased back. Carter didn't become a bad player at age 24.  That's ridiculous.  The Jets offense fell apart last season because of OL injuries and QB play and it took the running backs with it.  

When you look at Cook's 2022 season, his success was based on a strong OL and a strong passing game that defenses had to key on.  I don't see how a declining Cook gives the Jets more than Carter/Knight/Abanikanda.  He took what the blocking game him and no more.  It is just a colossal waste of money to sign Cook.  

• Upvote 2