Bleacher Report bias

I know, I know - I'm peeing into the wind, but following up on the ridiculous article posted just the other day about 'Aaron Rodgers has regressed,' today I read some doosh named Brad Gagnon posted this: 

Sorry, but I don't believe in Aaron Rodgers after his numbers absolutely plummeted in 2022. Why should we expect that to change as he approaches his 40th birthday? In terms of DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average) at Football Outsiders, the Jets were slightly better than their 7-10 record last year. With Rodgers but in a tough division, I'll bump that to eight. That might be generous.

And, some doosh named Alex Kay wrote that NYJ were one of 5 NFL teams that will regret their off-season moves.

"Acquiring Rodgers might help Gang Green reach the playoffs, but it's unlikely the relationship results in much more than a Wild Card or Divisional Round victory at best."

Sorry, rant over. Just am amazed at how much hate is out there for this team. Let's prove them wrong boys!!!!

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

I know, I know - I'm peeing into the wind, but following up on the ridiculous article posted just the other day about 'Aaron Rodgers has regressed,' today I read some doosh named Brad Gagnon posted this: 

Sorry, but I don't believe in Aaron Rodgers after his numbers absolutely plummeted in 2022. Why should we expect that to change as he approaches his 40th birthday? In terms of DVOA (defense-adjusted value over average) at Football Outsiders, the Jets were slightly better than their 7-10 record last year. With Rodgers but in a tough division, I'll bump that to eight. That might be generous.

And, some doosh named Alex Kay wrote that NYJ were one of 5 NFL teams that will regret their off-season moves.

"Acquiring Rodgers might help Gang Green reach the playoffs, but it's unlikely the relationship results in much more than a Wild Card or Divisional Round victory at best."

Sorry, rant over. Just am amazed at how much hate is out there for this team. Let's prove them wrong boys!!!!

Jets fans REALLY do not want to hear this but historically he is right. Most 38-40 year old QBs fall off a cliff and no matter how you slice it, he DID regress last year. He had the thumb and young receivers and was still very solid. I get all that. But he did decline and there is little to suggest he will be an outlier. I still hate the trade. I hope it works out.

34 minutes ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

I find this to be a very strange point.

We haven’t made the playoffs in 12 years or had a winning record in 7. We still wax nostalgic about AFC Title game appearances.

I’m pretty sure a Divisional Round playoff win would be a pretty massive success.

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Bronx said:

That's a correct statement, but being pessimistic during the early stages of the team's transformation is a downer. 

I'm just trying to be realistic is all.  

My position is inline with just about everyone outside of Jets fandom.  Jets are good, Rodgers makes the better, Jets should be a playoff team - but aren't quite there with the Chiefs and Bengals of the world.

For that I'm attacked as some type of bad guy.

With that said, you are correct - it is a downer - but Jet Nation is about being honest ---- wether it's attacking a rookie QB before he's even drafted or a 40 year old declining QB.  Being a downer isn't important - it's about just being honest.

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1

19 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

My position is inline with just about everyone outside of Jets fandom.  Jets are good, Rodgers makes the better, Jets should be a playoff team - but aren't quite there with the Chiefs and Bengals of the world.

With that said, you are correct - it is a downer - but Jet Nation is about being honest ---- wether it's attacking a rookie QB before he's even drafted or a 40 year old declining QB.  Being a downer isn't important - it's about just being honest.

Fido you bastard!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lith said:

Agreed.  I also think it was a bizarre statement.  If you are good enough to win a Divisional Game.  That means that you have either gone in and beaten a team on the road in the playoffs, or you were good enough to win a Division and host a Divisional Game.  If you can do that, then you are good enough to win another game or two.

Just get into the playoffs and I am willing to take my chances once there.

Right besides the fact that advancing to the final four is a legitimate accomplishment the statement basically implies “you could advance for the AFCCG but you can’t beat the Chiefs.” But once you’re there…? I’ll take my chances.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Maybe, just maybe its because you post the same thing 10-15 times a day.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Joejet said:

Maybe, just maybe its because you post the same thing 10-15 times a day.

Not that it matters - but I'm only responding to others telling me I'm wrong.  I don't initiate those points.

Things will start to change this week though - as they'll be actual things to talk about.

4 hours ago, jbt said:

Tom Brady was also declining when he went to Tampa Bay (24tds, 8ints) in last year with NE.  Then had 40tds 12ints with tampa in that 1st year.

Rodgers had 26td and 12int last year.

Reunited with Hackett and it feels so good.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

Finally you come right out and admit this is all about Zach to you. You’re really going to let being wrong about a bust ruin the season for you (and potentially your enjoyment of the Jets period)? Do you, I guess, man.

• Upvote 2
  • Post of the Week 1

Finally you come right out and admit this is all about Zach to you. You’re really going to let being wrong about a bust ruin the season for you (and potentially your enjoyment of the Jets period)? Do you, I guess, man.

I think it's that many here did in fact blast the sh*t out of Zach before his first ever snap.

(For no apparent reason other than his last name not being Fields ?)

Yeah .... he very well may bust out ... To date things don't look good.

But to not even give the kid a shot .... lame.

Still ... I agree ... No reason not to enjoy this 2024 fairy tale.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, Dunnie said:

I think it's that many here did in fact blast the sh*t out of Zach before his first ever snap.

(For no apparent reason other than his last name not being Fields ?)

Yeah .... he very well may bust out ... To date things don't look good.

But to not even give the kid a shot .... lame.

Still ... I agree ... No reason not to enjoy this 2024 fairy tale.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

I mean we all knew his motivation but I was surprised that he came right out and admitted that he is peeing in the punch this season as some sort of unhinged, passive-aggressive revenge fantasy against those who were “mean” to Zach.

People are nuts.

13 hours ago, FidelioJet said:

You’re “attacked” because you trying to be. Your position is probably in line with most of the people here. No one is clearing space on their shelves for the 2024 Lombardi Trophy, but we’re excited about a potential contender. I don’t get your oddly specific “they’ll win one playoff game then lose,” theme, quite frankly, and comments that the trade for Rodgers won’t be worth it even if they win a Super Bowl… ? C’mon, man, you’re just trying to antagonize people with a line like that. 

You try to tear apart the WR and OL groups with pretty weak sauce arguments, making some sort of “they’re not all in if,” point. The Jets don’t have a #2 WR? Meanwhile KC’s #1 WR last year was JuJu Smith-Schuster. Every team has holes and of course a team that hasn’t sniffed a playoff game in a dozen years has their share. You harp on those things as Mr. Objective Fan, but we all know the LB group is far from perfect and the OL is a work in progress. Every team has issues somewhere, it’s the nature of a salary capped league, and the Jets are no different. 

If the Jets are gonna be really good this year, people are gonna have to step up. The QB you frequently complain about is -quite honestly- probably the least of their concerns. He’s a major upgrade even if he’s as damaged as you repeat over and over again. But it’s clearly a major point of contention for you after being a big Jets QB supporter the last couple years. 

• Upvote 1
  • Post of the Week 1

20 minutes ago, slats said:

You’re “attacked” because you trying to be. Your position is probably in line with most of the people here. No one is clearing space on their shelves for the 2024 Lombardi Trophy, but we’re excited about a potential contender. I don’t get your oddly specific “they’ll win one playoff game then lose,” theme, quite frankly, and comments that the trade for Rodgers won’t be worth it even if they win a Super Bowl… ? C’mon, man, you’re just trying to antagonize people with a line like that. 

You try to tear apart the WR and OL groups with pretty weak sauce arguments, making some sort of “they’re not all in if,” point. The Jets don’t have a #2 WR? Meanwhile KC’s #1 WR last year was JuJu Smith-Schuster. Every team has holes and of course a team that hasn’t sniffed a playoff game in a dozen years has their share. You harp on those things as Mr. Objective Fan, but we all know the LB group is far from perfect and the OL is a work in progress. Every team has issues somewhere, it’s the nature of a salary capped league, and the Jets are no different. 

If the Jets are gonna be really good this year, people are gonna have to step up. The QB you frequently complain about is -quite honestly- probably the least of their concerns. He’s a major upgrade even if he’s as damaged as you repeat over and over again. But it’s clearly a major point of contention for you after being a big Jets QB supporter the last couple years. 

Look, I hear you and honestly don't really mean to be a difficult (well sometimes :-))...but I believe this is still missing the point I've been trying to make - I repeat it, told I keep repeating it, yet I'll try again.

The Jets are good.  Rodgers will be fine - but ultimately you're likely going to have to beat Cincy or KC in the playoffs to get to a championship game - and I don't believe the Jets have the weapons to do so (hence the one playoff win as their ceiling) Rodgers, while surely a major upgrade, isn't what he used to be and will require superior talent over Mahomes and Burrow if we can realistically expect to beat them.

With that said, the main argument has always been - there was an opportunity to add pieces to the offense that would help them get over that hump - give them a more realistic chance to hang with the Bengals/Chiefs. Inexplicably, Joe Douglas chose not to do so.

15 hours ago, FloridaJetsFan said:

Bias?  Opinion?  Fine line.

IMHO....I think A-A-Ron is going to be great.  I think the Jets will be very good this season.  

This move was done to be more than make the playoffs and maybe win a playoff game.  That is the standard for the up I-95 this season.

This move was done to contend for a title.  If the Jets struggle or are one and done, I agree the Jets will regret this move.

6 hours ago, jgb said:

20-30 % of the board predicts Zach will bust hard based on reasonable red flags:  Fidelio calls it "attacking" Zach.

20-30 % of the board ends up correct:  Fidelio blames them for causing Zach to fail with their attacks.  Also leaves the board for several months over it.

A year later:  Fidelio countinues to, in miserable fashion, attack the 20-30 % and also adds Aaron Rodgers, Joe Douglas and the current Jets team to his list of people with which he as an axe to grind.

#FidelioLogic

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FidelioJet said:

Look, I hear you and honestly don't really mean to be a difficult (well sometimes :-))...but I believe this is still missing the point I've been trying to make - I repeat it, told I keep repeating it, yet I'll try again.

The Jets are good.  Rodgers will be fine - but ultimately you're likely going to have to beat Cincy or KC in the playoffs to get to a championship game - and I don't believe the Jets have the weapons to do so (hence the one playoff win as their ceiling) Rodgers, while surely a major upgrade, isn't what he used to be and will require superior talent over Mahomes and Burrow if we can realistically expect to beat them.

With that said, the main argument has always been - there was an opportunity to add pieces to the offense that would help them get over that hump - give them a more realistic chance to hang with the Bengals/Chiefs. Inexplicably, Joe Douglas chose not to do so.

Your argument has been either to add expensive, over the hill players, or the team isn’t serious about winning. Like outbidding Baltimore for OBJ, which would’ve been absolutely ridiculous. But you’ve become one of those “let’s sign this name I recognize,” guys, and failure to do so means not all in. Ignoring the fact that the Jets weapons are pretty much on par with other teams, and also the fact that it’s not offense vs. offense, but that defense is also pretty important and the Jets have a very good one. With the Jets CBs, I feel pretty good about hanging with the Bengals and Bills - these are teams the Jets have beaten with Zach or Mike White. The Chiefs are the only team that should be clearing space for next year’s Lombardi, but the biggest concern with them is containing Kelce. 

There are different ways to win in this league and, despite adding the best QB they could this offseason, the Jets figure to still look to win by rushing the football and playing sound defense. Only they’ll be doing it with a massive upgrade at QB who has a couple of WRs here with him who know the system as well as the OROY who managed to win that award with some of the worst QB play in the league last season. 

Basically, you’re complaining just to complain. I think the vast majority of fans here see the team as capable of getting to the playoffs and then once you’re there anything can happen. You just them out in the second round because they didn’t spend $16M on OBJ. It’s specifically silly. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, KINGDIRK said:

Why would they scoff at division round victory. That means we’re playing in the AFC title game? 

After 12 straight seasons of missing the playoffs and consistently having a top 10 draft pick, I'll gladly take an AFC Championship Game appearance.

If that is seen as failure, you might want to question being a sports fan altogether.  As with most things in life, you need to learn to enjoy the ride.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

20-30 % of the board predicts Zach will bust hard based on reasonable red flags:  Fidelio calls it "attacking" Zach.

20-30 % of the board ends up correct:  Fidelio blames them for causing Zach to fail with their attacks.  Also leaves the board for several months over it.

A year later:  Fidelio countinues to, in miserable fashion, attack the 20-30 % and also adds Aaron Rodgers, Joe Douglas and the current Jets team to his list of people with which he as an axe to grind.

#FidelioLogic

Fans are negative about a QB that sucks, Fidelio: “Haters!!!!”

Fid is negative about a first-round HOF QB: “Objectivity!”

• Haha 1

59 minutes ago, slats said:

Your argument has been either to add expensive, over the hill players

Just because they're good players doesn't mean they're over the hill.  There seems to be this take by you and so many others that good players aren't good anymore - just because.

OBJ as last seen was playing at a high level.  Hopkins last seen was playing at a high level.   If you want to tell me OBJ or Hopkins wouldn't be a MAJOR upgrade over Corey Davis - so be it.  But I find that statement ridiculous.

And when the Jets come up short in the big games on offense this year we'll know why.

Look, the season is about to start and none of this discussion matters anymore.  I'm looking forward to seeing this team on the field.

I don't see how this isn't a top 5 defense and the O should be in the top half of the league.  Should be fun.

Please keep the hate coming. If I was a player nothing would motivate me more than people harping on how I am NOT going to be successful. Spite is a powerful motivator and I hope the put a press quote in each players locker every single day, I hopew they play it on videos in the team meeting, I hope they put bumber stickers with JETSSUCK with superglue on the bumper of every player coach and personnel person attached to the team and I hope Woody walks in and tells each player on the team and coaching staff that he never really believed in them and that he DARES them to win a superbowl because if they do he will convert 20% of each contract into gaurenteed money for next year.

#fugdemhaters