KRL Camp Notes (7/21/23)

KRL

21 minutes ago, KRL said:

Concerns

- Want to see the continued improvement of the offense and the appearance of the deep ball

You can only take what the defense gives you. I do understand AR needs to take some shots down the field at some point to get the speed & timing down. Right now, however, offense needs the confidence that they can move the ball on this defense.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, KRL said:

- I'm not sure how many reps Al Woods will get in the DLine rotation but he seems to have
plenty left in the tank.  For a 36 year old Woods is extremely quick in disrupting the run
game.  Today he had a couple of TFLs during the 11 on 11 reps

- Some under the radar DBs that you should keep your eye on:
  * Jimmy Moreland
  * Marquis Waters
  * Craig James
During their reps with the #2 & #3 they always seem to be around the ball

I'm a big Jimmy Moreland fan from his time down in DC.  He and Craig James both already have some legit NFL time under their belts.  Are they playing CB or S?  I think James and Moreland are both kind of tweeners that can play both.  Waters is an UDFA from Texas Tech by way of Duke that I think was just listed as a S and a box S at that.  Is that where he is playing?  Short arms, terrible agility, but okay speed and size.  Probably more a special teamer/practice squad candidate, but maybe he fits what they want.  Maybe they are trying to make @Beerfish happy with more turnovers because Moreland is a turnover machine and Waters apparently calls himself Mr. Change of Possession.  Not the briefest nickname, but it gets the point across.

EDITED:  Because I quoted the Al Woods part because it is great to see. Sometimes these older guys fit in great in this system because the rotation can keep them fresh and Woods is a huge guy.  Those guys often get helped by a bit of rest.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, KRL said:

General Notes

Concerns

- Want to see the continued improvement of the offense and the appearance of the deep ball

- Proper ball security when finishing reps

Just three problems with the deep ball...thank god they won't be our problem after Labor Day.

Is the NY Jets' cornerback trio really the NFL's best?

• Upvote 2
  • Sympathy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, KRL said:

General Notes

- Practice ran for 2 hours

- Players still in jerseys, shorts and "shock absorber" helmets as they ramp up

- I didn't see Duane Brown again, also Will McDonald sat out practice with an injury
I guess

Defense Notes

- The defense won the day again but the offense showed improvement (which we'll get to
later).  The success of the defense was different today as Jeff Ulbrich (DC) broke his
pattern of rushing with the DLine and mixed in blitzing from the "back 7" 

- Credit to Sauce Gardner for improving his frame. You can actually see definition in his
legs this year.  He was working with Marquand Manuel (DB Coach) right in front of me, so 
it was noticeable 

- Extremely impressive performance by Tony Adams today.  During individual drills he showed
excellent range as Manuel had him line up outside the right hash and close to the left 
sideline to knockaway a pass.  Then during 11 on 11 reps Adams went from between the hashes
to the left sideline to break up a 30+ yard pass from Aaron Rodgers to Jason Brownlee

- I'm not sure how many reps Al Woods will get in the DLine rotation but he seems to have
plenty left in the tank.  For a 36 year old Woods is extremely quick in disrupting the run

* Jimmy Moreland
  * Marquis Waters
  * Craig James

Offense Notes

- The offense improved today as there were more completions in the intermediate area and
the run game was effective particularly with outside runs

- In the early going there were multiple false starts and Zach Wilson skipped another "smoke
screen".  But Rodgers spoke to him and illustrated what he was doing wrong and no more "skips"

- The ball security needs to improve as the rep finishes.  Because multiple times after a
successful play the defense would strip the ball as the RB/WR "eased up"

- Shock of shocks we may actually see an effective "screen game" this year.  Nate Hackett
called quite a few with the deep ball not available

- Israel Abanikanda was very effective on outside runs as he broke off multiple 15-20 yarders.
But he was one of the culprits with poor ball security, on a screen pass from Rodgers he popped
it into the air for an almost INT.  And on another run Abanikanda was stripped by Moreland
which allowed Adrian Amos to return it for a "TD"

- Michael Carter had a good day as screens and outside runs are his strengths.  And he broke off
a couple of 20+ yarders in each area

- Zack Kuntz flashed today as he caught a 15+ yard sidearm pass from Wilson.  But he didn't 
secure the ball to the end of the rep and allowed Ashtyn Davis to strip it

- Jason Brownlee got some reps with Rodgers and impressed on a 15+ yard out route.  Rodgers
threw the ball before Brownlee got out of his break but because he ran a precise route he
made the catch.  Very important for a young WR to show the QB he can trust him

- The "sexiest" play of the day was a 15+ yard slant pass from Rodgers to Garrett Wilson with
Gardner in tight coverage.  Incredible accuracy to fit the ball in a window that didn't exist

QB

- There weren't any deep completions and the "sexiest" play was a 15+ yarder, but what I appreciate
about Aaron Rodgers is his ability to move the ball in a "boring" way with no INTs

- Zach Wilson was better today with his accuracy, particularly after the Rodgers "tip".  Also,
so far there have been no INTs

Standouts

- Tony Adams
- Israel Abanikanda
- Michael Carter
- Under the radar DBs (Moreland, Waters, James)

Concerns

thank you, as always.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

Zach Wilson was better today with his accuracy, particularly after the Rodgers "tip".  Also,

This will change with constant pressure from the DL (pads), at least we hope.

50 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

The Tony Adams news is just excellent.  Who is the last ball hawking safety we had?  Kerry Rhoades for that year or 2?

Yes if we can get him to be an average to above average FS for us. That makes us strong everywhere. And we’d be scary to play for any offense.

• Upvote 2

57 minutes ago, David Harris said:

AR coaching Zach on the dirt ballz is music to my ears.

Zach’s 2 biggest issues imo we’re not stepping up in the pocket and missing gimme passes. He’d have added 5-7% to his completion percenatge just by not missing layups.

I am afraid to even go there but rodgers coaches Zach to correct the issues and we end up with several years of rodgers followed by an effective Wilson?

I realize the economics and years prob don’t make sense but oh to dream

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, KRL said:

- Extremely impressive performance by Tony Adams today.  During individual drills he showed
excellent range as Manuel had him line up outside the right hash and close to the left 
sideline to knockaway a pass.  Then during 11 on 11 reps Adams went from between the hashes
to the left sideline to break up a 30+ yard pass from Aaron Rodgers to Jason Brownlee

- Jason Brownlee got some reps with Rodgers and impressed on a 15+ yard out route.  Rodgers
threw the ball before Brownlee got out of his break but because he ran a precise route he

This is why Mims was expendable.  Brownlee (and others) are going to get some reps that would have been allocated to Mims in some percentage as part of the WR rotation.  I still like Mims and think he has upside, but both the trade and its timing (!!) were important because it's letting these reps for Brownlee happen NOW, early in camp, and allowing that relationship with Rodgers to begin forming.

Thanks to KRL as always for the great notes.

Not sure if this data/information is available but would love to see snap counts for these guys to get a sense of who is trending towards more time with the 1's, 2's and 3's. 

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, KRL said:

General Notes

- I didn't see Duane Brown again, also Will McDonald sat out practice with an injury
I guess

Defense Notes

- The defense won the day again but the offense showed improvement (which we'll get to
later).  The success of the defense was different today as Jeff Ulbrich (DC) broke his

- Credit to Sauce Gardner for improving his frame. You can actually see definition in his
legs this year.  He was working with Marquand Manuel (DB Coach) right in front of me, so 
it was noticeable 

* Jimmy Moreland
  * Marquis Waters
  * Craig James

Offense Notes

- The offense improved today as there were more completions in the intermediate area and

- In the early going there were multiple false starts and Zach Wilson skipped another "smoke
screen".  But Rodgers spoke to him and illustrated what he was doing wrong and no more "skips"

- The ball security needs to improve as the rep finishes.  Because multiple times after a

- Shock of shocks we may actually see an effective "screen game" this year.  Nate Hackett

- Israel Abanikanda was very effective on outside runs as he broke off multiple 15-20 yarders.
But he was one of the culprits with poor ball security, on a screen pass from Rodgers he popped
it into the air for an almost INT.  And on another run Abanikanda was stripped by Moreland

- Michael Carter had a good day as screens and outside runs are his strengths.  And he broke off

- Zack Kuntz flashed today as he caught a 15+ yard sidearm pass from Wilson.  But he didn't 

- The "sexiest" play of the day was a 15+ yard slant pass from Rodgers to Garrett Wilson with
Gardner in tight coverage.  Incredible accuracy to fit the ball in a window that didn't exist

QB

- There weren't any deep completions and the "sexiest" play was a 15+ yarder, but what I appreciate
about Aaron Rodgers is his ability to move the ball in a "boring" way with no INTs

- Zach Wilson was better today with his accuracy, particularly after the Rodgers "tip".  Also,

Standouts

- Tony Adams
- Israel Abanikanda
- Michael Carter

Concerns

15-20 yard runs from carters???!!?!?!?! oh man reports liek this although so early in the camp are awesome to hear. 

moveing the chains is the primary way to score. I love boring plays. 

22 minutes ago, jetstream23 said:

This is why Mims was expendable.  Brownlee (and others) are going to get some reps that would have been allocated to Mims in some percentage as part of the WR rotation.  I still like Mims and think he has upside, but both the trade and its timing (!!) were important because it's letting these reps for Brownlee happen NOW, early in camp, and allowing that relationship with Rodgers to begin forming.

Thanks to KRL as always for the great notes.

Not sure if this data/information is available but would love to see snap counts for these guys to get a sense of who is trending towards more time with the 1's, 2's and 3's. 

MIms had upside really based on what? he did nothing with his time here aside like 2 plays. not to rag on you but just what the f are you talking about. He got traded because he sucked.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, KRL said:

General Notes

I guess

Defense Notes

it was noticeable 

* Jimmy Moreland
  * Marquis Waters
  * Craig James

Offense Notes

QB

Standouts

- Tony Adams
- Israel Abanikanda
- Michael Carter

Concerns

You are the King, Man. Many thanks.

1 hour ago, KRL said:

This will sound harsh but I don't interact with the media because they aren't serious about covering the

team like I do.  This is their job and during practice they'll "chit chat" instead of focusing on things.  Where

I do this once a year and am serious about getting info and spreading it on the site

Bowing Down Waynes World GIF