Josh Jacobs Has Left The Building (update: he's back)

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/report-josh-jacobs-leaves-las-vegas-doesnt-plan-to-return-anytime-soon

Josh Jacobs has left the building — and the city, for that matter.

According to NFL Media’s Tom Pelissero, Jacobs was spotted boarding a flight out of Las Vegas on Monday morning and has told those close to him that he doesn’t plan on returning anytime soon.

Because Jacobs has not signed his franchise tender, the running back is not under contract with the Raiders. So he’s not subject to any fines for not reporting to training camp this week.

The NFL’s rushing leader in 2022, Jacobs is set to earn $10.1 million playing on the franchise tender this year. But Jacobs is upset with the Raiders after they didn’t pick up his fifth-year option last year and then made what he viewed as half-hearted attempts to sign him to a long-term deal following the application of the franchise tag.

Jacobs gave off the impression during the Zoom call with other running backs that he has no intention of participating in training camp or the preseason. Whether or not he misses a game check is still up in the air.

But for the time being, Jacobs will contemplate his next move away from Southern Nevada.

Now that's a back I wouldn't mind persuing.

• Thumb Down 1

11 minutes ago, Joe W. Namath said:

Good for him.  That is what the rules allow him to do so he can do ahead and do it.  I would not show up to work if I did not have to.  

Now he can show up for week one and get his 10 million dollars.  No need to have Zoom calls to whine and cry about it.

And you think he will be in football shape and ready to go week 1 without any work in camp? It doesn't work that way. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, slats said:

He doesn’t have to be to get paid. This is a player who thinks his team is screwing him, he’s not motivated to do anything to help them, he’s just gonna help himself. Wouldn’t be surprised if Barkley follows the same path. 

Yes, I know that, but it's just not that easy, skipping an entire training camp and pre season and then showing up and expect to be ready to go when the season starts. Injuries are also a concern for players following this path. 

• Sympathy 1

The Raiders and Giants are playing themselves here. It’s one thing when you’re the Steelers with a HOF QB that can carry the load for the offense. LV and NYG have low volume throwers that need a very strong run game to be productive. I get that the market is the market but you gotta take the teams into account. Silly moves by both franchises

• Upvote 3
  • Sympathy 1

34 minutes ago, Jetsfan80 said:

*** Checks Raiders RB depth chart ***

2) Ameer Abdullah

3) Brandon Bolden

4) Zamir White/Austin Walter

Awkward Jay Z GIF by Complex

You jest. Abdullah, Bolden, and Zamir-White are the three best running backs of the last decade that are yet to be discovered. Or may never be discovered. But they are the best. Who needs Josh Jacobs? The Raiders are geniuses.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

The Raiders and Giants are playing themselves here. It’s one thing when you’re the Steelers with a HOF QB that can carry the load for the offense. LV and NYG have low volume throwers that need a very strong run game to be productive. I get that the market is the market but you gotta take the teams into account. Silly moves by both franchises

How often do big money contracts for RBs work out?

Not paying them was the smart move.

• Upvote 1

55 minutes ago, RevisIsland610 said:

And you think he will be in football shape and ready to go week 1 without any work in camp? It doesn't work that way. 

Was it Ezekiel Elliot who did just that?  Someone on the Cowboys I think. 

1 hour ago, Saul Goodman said:

I understand why he’s unhappy. But Le’Veon Bell’s career path should be a cautionary tale. Holding out and not accepting the Steelers contract offer was a really bad decision. 

These guys who leave training camp or don’t report just lose that edge they may have had. Leveon should have had lots of gas left in his tank but that year off just ruined him.  Maybe jacobs will be picked up but if he isn’t his career path is down.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

You jest. Abdullah, Bolden, and Zamir-White are the three best running backs of the last decade that are yet to be discovered. Or may never be discovered. But they are the best. Who needs Josh Jacobs? The Raiders are geniuses.

33 minutes ago, BigRy56 said:

Interesting thing is that the Giants and Raiders # rusher in carries and yards were both QBs.  Both of them gave miniscule amounts of carries to other RB, but had decent ypc out of the others.  At least Jones is a solid rushing option, but Derek Carr being your #2 rusher at 105 yards for the season is batsh*t crazy.  Breida and Brigthwell had 30 and 50 carries over 4 pyc, but the Raiders?  White and Bolden had 17 carries each and Abdullah chipped in with 4 over 17 games.  Yikes.  Their 2nd leading back had 70 yards rushing.  Even better Abdullah is 20 and Bolden 33.  RBs come out of nowhere all the time, but that is a lot of pressure to put on Zamir White and whoever else they kick up.  To put in perspective how little the Raiders used other backs, their #5 back, Austin Walter, had 9 more carries for the Jets in 2021 than any RB not named Josh Jacobs did for the Raiders last year.  He was our 4th RB.  I guess the Raiders don't understand RBBC.

1 hour ago, BigRy56 said:

Barkley is also a terrific pass-catcher just a notch below CMC.  He does more for you than just be a bellcow.  

And they went and handed Daniel Jones $40M per.  Jones, who has shown he is utterly dependent on Barkley to have any success in this league.

At least in the Raiders' case they have Davante Adams.  But they still need Jacobs to prop up Jimmy G until his inevitable 6+ week injury.

Have fun guys!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, UntouchableCrew said:

How often do big money contracts for RBs work out?

Not paying them was the smart move.

I mean that's fine and all.  But when your QB's are Daniel Jones and Jimmy G, and you're contending with a tough division in NYG's case and a tough CONFERENCE in the Raiders' case....sometimes you need to find a middle ground. 

Hand these guys big money on 2-year deals and be done with it.  Absolutely no reason the Giants can find gobs of money for a goober QB + Evan Engram but can't do a reasonable 2-year deal with Barkley.  None.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Saul Goodman said:

I understand why he’s unhappy. But Le’Veon Bell’s career path should be a cautionary tale. Holding out and not accepting the Steelers contract offer was a really bad decision. 

It is not the same thing!  Bell was offered a very fair deal, which he turned down.  $70M for 5 years.  

These other guys are holding out because they don't want to get cornered into a 1 year $10.1 M deal.  If they get hurt, then their career and money abruptly come to an end!

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

I mean that's fine and all.  But when your QB's are Daniel Jones and Jimmy G, and you're contending with a tough division in NYG's case and a tough CONFERENCE in the Raiders' case....sometimes you need to find a middle ground. 

Hand these guys big money on 2-year deals and be done with it.  Absolutely no reason the Giants can find gobs of money for a goober QB + Evan Engram but can't do a reasonable 2-year deal with Barkley.  None.

Well first of all you're assuming a two year deal gets it done. We don't know what the deal is with these guys exactly -- what they've been offered and what they've turned down.

Second of all, the Raiders suck and aren't going to sniff the playoffs. I wouldn't pay a RB big money if I were them -- I'd be looking to trade him and rebuild the whole thing.

Giants were smoke and mirrors overrated last year -- but there's a better case for paying Saquon if you're them because you can probably trick yourself into thinking you can contend.

Regardless, between Davlin Cook, Saquon and JJ it seems pretty clear this is a league-wide thing. These guys have short shelf lives and don't stay healthy. Draft them, franchise them, draft a replacement. Makes perfect sense to me.

• Upvote 1