Playing football may increase risk of Parkinson’s disease, study suggests

Gramsci

CNN — 

Playing football might increase the risk of developing Parkinson’s disease, new findings from the Boston University CTE Center suggest.

Using data from a large online survey sponsored by the Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research, researchers found that participants who had a history of playing organized tackle football were 61% more likely to report a Parkinson’s disease diagnosis or parkinsonism, an umbrella term for symptoms like tremors and rigidity that cause movement problems, compared with those who played other organized sports.

The report, published in the medical journal JAMA Network Open, also found that participants who played football at higher levels — professionally or in college — were nearly three times as likely to have Parkinson’s or parkinsonism compared with those who played at the youth or high school levels.

“This is one more piece of evidence adding to the growing amount of evidence that repetitive brain trauma has long-term consequences,” said neuroscientist Julie Stamm, a clinical assistant professor of kinesiology at the University of Wisconsin Madison, who was not involved in the study.

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/08/11/health/parkinsons-football-risk/index.html

I would never let a child of mine at this sport. The numbers suggested by the researchers are pretty scary and the league will have to find solutions to address this. 

• Upvote 2

I played HS football and was concussed 2-3 times that I can remember. I can only imagine how many concussions the average college and pro player experiences.

I'm not seriously concerned about it but do take nicotine regularly (non-tobacco) to prevent neurodegeneration of the brain.

• Upvote 2

The brsin is the most delicate part of the body. Retired NFL players -- with sedentary lifestyles, bad nutrition and overweight/metabolism problems  --  probably have an increased chance of developing Parkinson's disease than those who are living the opposite lifestyle. 

9 minutes ago, bitonti said:

Boxing used to be the biggest sport in the world. Horse racing and baseball too.

Nothing lasts forever.

Football will fall in popularity during our lifetime and it's going to be because of this issue 

There's no safe way to play it 

There’s been zero indication so far. But I guess anything is possible. 

There needs to be a lot of more comparison and control studies in the brain injury line.

There are a lot of occupations that are hazardous in this regard.

I'm going to say something I never would have said even 5-10 years ago, sports such as boxing and mma and such are pretty unnecessary.

I know we have a lot of fans of these sports on here so I realize the comment will be unpopular.

2 hours ago, Matt39 said:

There’s still a massive pipeline of talent and NIL money now. It’s still by far the most popular of thr 3 major sports.

Not amongst young kids.  Many school districts (where, 20 years ago, the teams were flooded with players) now can’t find enough players to form their own team.  

19 minutes ago, Matt39 said:

These districts were never producing talent though. 

Sure they were.  And the same thing is happening at larger schools.  They used to have twice the kids come out and try out for the team.  Most teams don’t even have tryouts anymore.  Not enough kids signed up to cut anyone.  In some places, there has been a big push towards consolidating teams, or playing 7 or 8 man ball, just to be able to form a team.  This wasn’t the case just 20 years ago.   

19 minutes ago, Butterfield said:

Sure they were.  And the same thing is happening at larger schools.  They used to have twice the kids come out and try out for the team.  Most teams don’t even have tryouts anymore.  Not enough kids signed up to cut anyone.  In some places, there has been a big push towards consolidating teams, or playing 7 or 8 man ball, just to be able to form a team.  This wasn’t the case just 20 years ago.   

These weren’t areas that were producing talent anyways. College football is as popular as its ever been.